• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

MasterYoshi

Oct 27, 2017
The topmost purple part with the address bar. Basically anything up there that scrolls with you that's white. www.resetera.com, the number of tabs I've got open, the 3 dots that open new tabs, history, etc.

Posted from a Samsung Galaxy S9+

vestan

#REFANTAZIO SWEEP
Dec 28, 2017
I don't mess with AMOLEDs/OLEDs bruh, the Vita is already too much with that shit.

Should start using Auto Brightness, OP. Displaying a solid color at max brightness is gonna fuck your screen up quick.

5taquitos

Oct 27, 2017
OR
tumblr_oc858uUPvb1vcteljo3_500.png

NervousXtian

Oct 27, 2017
Yeah, fuck OLED. Had that on my Note 8... and had a game I liked to play that burned in a white number 5 that wouldn't go away. I didn't play the shit for long periods of time.. but fuck any technology with this flaw.

Nothing got rid of it. So I got rid of the phone, and won't buy another OLED screen ever again.

luca

Oct 25, 2017
Got "burn-in" on my Huawei P9 Lite the other day as well. Was weird as hell cause it's a IPS LCD screen, and it disappeared after rebooting, so was probably the OS messing up.

Booki

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Brooklyn
My first S8 had my chrome tabs along the top and the keyboard at the bottom. I was hurting until I decided to replace it after a couple of months.

Burn-in sucks.

Ada

Nov 28, 2017
Pixel shifting is the catch all response to OLED burnin concerns. LG/Samsung know this is a real problem but will continue to sell these flawed screens.

Jonnax

Oct 26, 2017
How does burn-in even happen when the screen refreshes like 60 times a second?
If the screen refreshes to the same colour then nothing changes.

Also to save power if part of the screen doesn't change it doesn't get refreshed, the display itself has ram for this.

Only CRT displays work in the way you're thinking.

Jonnax

Oct 26, 2017
I can't help but feel responsible for this and I am sorry.

Perhaps this article can help? They've done articles for previous phones too: https://thedroidguy.com/2019/05/how-to-fix-samsung-galaxy-s9-screen-burn-in-1095519
That article says try clearing the phone cache and factory resetting as possible solutions for burn in.

That's like vacuuming your house when there's a giant crack in the wall :P

The way that OLED burns in is that there's red green and blue component LEDs for each pixel.

As they are used more their maximum brightness reduces.

But also the colours themselves have different lifespans.

So what's happened is that the screen has deteriorated more in a section that's in proportion to the colour.

Rtings did an experiment with 6 OLED TVs playing the same content for weeks:

www.rtings.com

Real-Life OLED Burn-In Test On 6 TVs

There are concerns about OLED long-term performance due to the possibility of burn-in. We bought 6 LG OLED C7s to play real, non-altered content. It should give you a better idea of what to expect depending on what you watch on your TV.

You can see how bright colours get burnt into the screen.

Extra Sauce

Oct 27, 2017
Wait OLED does that? I've been daydreaming about having an OLED television for years but maybe that's a bad idea?

Mest08

Alt Account
Banned
Oct 30, 2017
I've had burn in on my last 2 phones, including this S8, from an app game called Downtown Mafia. In the phone's defense, I spend hours each day on the game.

Finale Fireworker

Love each other or die trying.
Oct 25, 2017
United States
That article says try clearing the phone cache and factory resetting as possible solutions for burn in.

That's like vacuuming your house when there's a giant crack in the wall :P

The way that OLED burns in is that there's red green and blue component LEDs for each pixel.

As they are used more their maximum brightness reduces.

But also the colours themselves have different lifespans.

So what's happened is that the screen has deteriorated more in a section that's in proportion to the colour.

Rtings did an experiment with 6 OLED TVs playing the same content for weeks:

www.rtings.com

Real-Life OLED Burn-In Test On 6 TVs

There are concerns about OLED long-term performance due to the possibility of burn-in. We bought 6 LG OLED C7s to play real, non-altered content. It should give you a better idea of what to expect depending on what you watch on your TV.

You can see how bright colours get burnt into the screen.

Listen to this guy who is much smarter than I am.

NekoFever

Oct 25, 2017
I had no idea this could happen with phones.
Why would a phone screen not be vulnerable?

Wait OLED does that? I've been daydreaming about having an OLED television for years but maybe that's a bad idea?
It's fine if you're sensible with it and mix up what you're displaying. That Rtings test is pretty severe and it's only the most extreme examples that are appreciably damaged - and that's after weeks of 20 hours a day displaying lots of high contrast static elements at high brightness.

I would never have a laptop with an OLED screen with all those static elements, but TVs are fine.

Chrno

Oct 25, 2017
I'm confused.. the part that OP is talking about disappears whenever I scroll. I'm also using an S9+.

Extra Sauce

Oct 27, 2017
Why would a phone screen not be vulnerable?

It's fine if you're sensible with it and mix up what you're displaying. That Rtings test is pretty severe and it's only the most extreme examples that are appreciably damaged - and that's after weeks of 20 hours a day displaying lots of high contrast static elements at high brightness.

I would never have a laptop with an OLED screen with all those static elements, but TVs are fine.

My concern would be Spotify and Roku, which I use on my TV every day.

Oct 27, 2017
Yes. I know what I was getting into when I bought the iPhone X. You can't really SEE anything during normal use, but when watching dark youtube videos in bed with brightness all the way down you can clearly see the "near black" issues in the image. There's a lighter block which seems to be right where Youtube videos play in portrait mode, and the rest of the screen is marked with these faint lines, which are probably remains of white text against black background.

Not really worried about it, since I'm sure I'll get another phone in a few years. But yeah, use dark mode whenever possible and auto/low brightness, it'll save you from problems later.

Jie Li

Alt account
Banned
Dec 21, 2018
Use kiwi and UBO extension, you can hide selected part/components of a web page. Just FYI.

I use it to hide the extra text editing tools above the text box because they always cause user error and I never use them.