• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

LionPride

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Ah

To have an immaculate hairline and a good grade of hair

If I start balding or my hairline starts goin back, imma just shave this shit off

Aiii

何これ
Oct 24, 2017
So is there a consensus on how strong the whole genetic/mom side thing is in terms of hair loss? My grandpa on my mom's is into his 80s and still has a full head of hair. I'm 25 and have no indication of graying, thinning or hair loss. I realize it could still happen though. This thread has me scared. Losing your hair can be a death sentence for males.
I don't know, but anecdotally my dad has a full head of hair at 71 and I started shaving my hair at 30 because it was thinning too much. My grandpa was bald, too.

My dad insists it was because I've been wearing baseball caps all my life, though.

But it's anything but a death sentence. I never had problems with losing my hair, I just shaved it off, grew my beard and I've been getting more compliments than ever. Consensus is I look great. Baldness isn't a bad thing, it's pretty much accepted as fact for men and nobody bats an eye.

metalgear89

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
How does the genetics work? The elder generation on my mothers side seem to either have a full head of hair or minor balding, whilst my father side have all gone bald.

Is the reaper coming for me?

Greg NYC3

Oct 26, 2017
Miami
So is there a consensus on how strong the whole genetic/mom side thing is in terms of hair loss? My grandpa on my mom's is into his 80s and still has a full head of hair. I'm 25 and have no indication of graying, thinning or hair loss. I realize it could still happen though. This thread has me scared. Losing your hair can be a death sentence for males.
The thing about getting baldness from your mom's side is a myth. It's a 50/50 shot just like any other recessive/dominant gene.

My father is about to turn 70 and still has all of his hair as his father before him but my uncle is balder than Daddy Warbucks. My 3 brothers and I that share the same parents all still have our hair but my half brother that has a different father went bald at 19. It's a total craphoot and you just have to make the best of it.

Oct 30, 2017
Quickly find a girl while you have beautiful hair cause once you lost it gets harder and you may have to go for less attractive girls

Oct 25, 2017
How does the genetics work? The elder generation on my mothers side seem to either have a full head of hair or minor balding, whilst my father side have all gone bald.

Is the reaper coming for me?

Depends on your mother's side, specifically her father. If he's bald then that may pass on to you, if not then you're good. It's not 100% certain mind you.

Hydeus

Banned
Nov 4, 2017
France
life-picture-quote_5427-4.png

Oct 30, 2017
Not really. As long as you're good looking hair doesn't matter too much.

True having hair is a attractive feature.

I know many men who are bald who arent having as much luck with the ladies, although if they dropped their standards they could have found someone. Basically losing hair makes you drop quite a few points in the attraction chart.

horkrux

Oct 27, 2017
You don't have to accept this. Go to a doctor because there are apparantly ways to at least stop it from progressing, maybe even reverse it in rare cases.

Catdaddy

Oct 27, 2017
TN
Best friend in high school started losing his in his early 20s, his brother started going bald in high school…he just shaved it.

Sapiens

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
When I started losing it, I did not like the drug/ointment options and their side effects, so I got hair restoration at an early age and I've had to have it revised a few times, but generally no one outside of close family knows.

Going bald made me work for a better paying job so I could afford this stuff. It was a real motivator.

Most people don't look good bald, and I certainly wasn't super handsome like Picard or the rock, so I kinda needed the hair.

I don't think I'd be as confident without it.

Nov 13, 2017
My favorite thing about this thread is that the second response to the OP is some guy with beautiful hair telling him to just accept that he's going bald :P

Brannon

One Winged Slayer
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Ah, fellow early bald eagle. One day when you realize that every solution to your problem is a monkey's claw, you will truly learn to

EFUuWEE.gif

Is rolling the dice on your libido really worth that sexy head of hair? This is the question that tries men's souls...

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
Finasteride is cheap af if you use a GoodRx (free) coupon.

I pay $12/mo.

Dirty little secret about Finasteride is that the 1mg version of the pill (the one that's used to treat hair loss specifically) is marked up rampantly over its higher-dosage 5mg counterpart, which is used to treat prostate infections. Exact same medication, just the 5mg ones are slightly bigger and cost about 80% less. Buy the 5mg pills and split them up with a razor blade or a pill splitter and you save a shitload of money in the long term.

The pharma industry knows dudes will pay a lot of money to keep their hair, essentially.

Oct 30, 2017
I'm 35 and still hair good to go. If I lose my hair it's over. I do not look good shaved head due to me having a tiny head for being 6'1".

Supernorn

Game Developer @ Chucklefish
Verified
Oct 24, 2017
London
Nick Nehidnyk

There's a lot of conflicting advice in this thread, and people are giving it as if they are qualified. I would consult your doctor as it sounds like you're undergoing stress.

HaNotsri

Usage of alt-account.
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Okay, so this is going to be a bit strange. I'm a dude who's going to be eighteen in about two months. My whole life I've had really thick hair, but in the past few months I've started to lose it. It doesn't seem to be male pattern baldness; my hairline isn't receding as well as I can tell, and my genetics don't make it seem likely at all.

Right now I think it could be either a vitamin deficiency of some sort or stress. The latter is pretty viable: I started the year taking seven AP classes, two of which were online, but I was failing one so horribly that I had to drop it, and I've still struggled considerably. My hair has also been graying for a while, and that's only gotten worse. My grades have been poor and I've really struggled mentally and emotionally in the past few months. I say all this in case anyone's heard of a really stressful academic year causing these sorts of problems.

More than anything I'm just extremely frightened. I don't know what's happening to me, and while I don't think it's genetic, that is a harrowing but realistic possibility.

If necessary, I could upload photographs, but I'd rather not unless they're needed.
Diwting or stress could cause "hair loss". I don't have the exact numbers but I think you're normally "losing" about 25% of your hair (means that it stops growing/fall off) under stress you might double that number.
The good thing is that the hair returns.
This is one of the reason that many hair loss cure seem to work: eventually the hair will grow back...

Fart Master

Prophet of Truth
The Fallen
Oct 28, 2017
A dumpster
I've had bald spots since like 5th and now I'm 20, my hair is thick enough that I just need to style it in certain ways to not look bad. When it gets bad enough I'll go bald .

Izayoi

Oct 25, 2017
Feels real fucking good to be married as a guy who is balding, fast. Wife has been cutting it for me (basically buzzing it) and will let me know when she thinks I should just shave it off. I'm built and rock a nice beard so it works really well for me honestly.

PLEASE IGNORE everyone telling you to load up on medications, many of which have horrific side effects - including terrible, scarring acne and impotence. It is just not worth it.

Legitmcfalls

Oct 25, 2017
Waterloo Ontario
Welcome to the team OP. Find yourself a friend or significant other you trust and let them know that when the hairline is too far gone or just too thin to let you know when you need to shave it all off.

nasirum

Oct 25, 2017
Somewhere
Are you absolutely positive you're actually losing a tangible amount of hair?

When I was about 25 I thought I was starting to lose hair on the top of my head. Turns out it was a temporary thing after moving to a dry, cold climate from warm and humid.

See a doctor, and if you want to fight it, talk about options. Rogaine works, but in my research it's something you have to start and stick with otherwise you lose results.

Good luck.

Ether_Snake

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Vitamin A surdose can do that, if you are taking them as supplements. I assume not. I recommend using nizoral shampoo.

For some reason my scalp gets itchy in late summer and at the same time I start losing hair during that period, then it stops. Might be temporary in your case too.

But in any case nizoral seems to help, look it up.

Last edited:

LosDaddie

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Longwood, FL
Genetics mostly. Unless you're a meth-head, then both your hair and teeth are falling out.

One of my best friends at FSU started balding at 19yo and was nearly completely bald by 21yo. But he shaved that garbage off before it looked bad.

Buckle

Oct 27, 2017
Shouldn't have pissed off that gypsy, bro.

Joking aside, I feel your pain. My hairline has slowly been receding now for awhile and its been pretty terrifying.

Good hair is literally all I got going for me. If you still have some on the sides when its all over, just keep shaving it. Don't let your body costanza you.

Go bald and grow yourself a badass beard.

Deleted member 9237

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Honestly, there aren't many things that can't be explained by stress. It can fuck up your body in more ways than I can count, and hair loss is a very common symptom

Outlaw

Oct 25, 2017
Texas
Dirty little secret about Finasteride is that the 1mg version of the pill (the one that's used to treat hair loss specifically) is marked up rampantly over its higher-dosage 5mg counterpart, which is used to treat prostate infections. Exact same medication, just the 5mg ones are slightly bigger and cost about 80% less. Buy the 5mg pills and split them up with a razor blade or a pill splitter and you save a shitload of money in the long term.

The pharma industry knows dudes will pay a lot of money to keep their hair, essentially.
Noted, I'm taking 1mg rn. Now to convince my doc to get me with the 5mg.

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
Shouldn't have pissed off that gypsy, bro.

Joking aside, I feel your pain. My hairline has slowly been receding now for awhile and its been pretty terrifying.

Good hair is literally all I got going for me. If you still have some on the sides when its all over, just keep shaving it. Don't let your body costanza you.

Go bald and grow yourself a badass beard.

The "shave it bald and grow a beard" thing isn't exactly good advice for everybody, to be fair. A) Not everyone can grow good beards or has the jawline to make one work, and B) He's a high school student.

iWannaHat

Jul 1, 2019
Aaand he's banned for ban dodging...honestly everyone has self image issues at that age. Best thing you can do is learn to love yourself. No one else will of you don't.

Also symmetry and skull shape is dumb. Stop listening to people that tell you it's important. Be a person worth being around, that's all that matters.

Soda

Oct 26, 2017
Dunedin, New Zealand
Aaand he's banned for ban dodging...honestly everyone has self image issues at that age. Best thing you can do is learn to love yourself. No one else will of you don't.

Also symmetry and skull shape is dumb. Stop listening to people that tell you it's important. Be a person worth being around, that's all that matters.

Why are there so many necro bumps the past month? I swear the uptick has been super high lately.

Status
Not open for further replies.