• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Sumio Mondo

Oct 25, 2017
United Kingdom
Considering how much you like visual novels and Japanese adventure games, I highly recommend Snatcher to you! Emulate it, it's one of the absolute best out there!

Daedalus is another good Japanese detective game that's cheap on current platforms.

How are you with horror games? Ever tried Fatal Frame/Project Zero series? Do you have a PS2 still? Kuon and Echo Night Beyond two old From Software games, both worth checking out!

OP
OP

Deleted member 8861

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
OP, what about Detroit? The story won't blow you away but it's still good and production values are high. Amazing looking game with a fun story and fairly short.

I'm not interested in Detroit at all after hearing how it bungles its themes with respect to the real civil rights movement

How are you with horror games? Ever tried Fatal Frame/Project Zero series? Do you have a PS2 still? Kuon and Echo Night Beyond two old From Software games, both worth checking out!
Never had a PS2, and let me correct/elaborate on something. Generally, I don't like horror games for the sake of being scared, but for something else about the atmosphere, setting or the story drawing me in, for whatever that's worth. :p

Sumio Mondo

Oct 25, 2017
United Kingdom
I'm not interested in Detroit at all after hearing how it bungles its themes with respect to the real civil rights movement

Never had a PS2, and let me correct/elaborate on something. Generally, I don't like horror games for the sake of being scared, but for something else about the atmosphere, setting or the story drawing me in, for whatever that's worth. :p

Well those games I mentioned give you that in abundance. I wouldn't even say that Kuon or Echo Night Beyond are scary just eerie. Fatal Frame series is probably as creepy as it gets outside the Siren series. You can get those on Nintendo systems too like Wii or Wii U. Pretty sure the first two are on the original Xbox as well.

Taruranto

Oct 26, 2017
I would really recommend Rule of Rose and Shattered Memories. The first one is more creepy than anything while the second one has a fantastic atmosphere, though it's different from any Silent Hill. Well, the PS2 version of SM is kinda bad, so emulate the Wii version if you can.

They really are unique games, story-wise.

Glass Arrows

Jan 10, 2019
I think you might enjoy Hotel Dusk. I didn't find the story to be QUITE as satisfying as I was hoping for (it's still pretty decent though), but the atmosphere and music are great and it has a really distinct art and writing style from 99% of other visual novels.

Stiler

Avenger
Oct 29, 2017
Night in the Woods is nothing like Edith Finch in terms of gameplay and art style.
giphy.gif

animated1.gif

The Vanishing of Ethan Carter is a great little adventure game from a few years ago, and also an amazing looking one (thanks to its use of photogrammetry).
7ILJ3ud.jpg

ComG86X.gif

Another I'd recommend is Zeno Clash, they had a great unique atmosphere to their world and art style,
wII0We4.jpg

Ifwao6Z.jpg

Also I'd highly recommend Inside. One of the best atmospheric games, and it's not too "long" either. (Limbo is great as well if you haven't played it)
UOsD7jh.gif

If you don't mind some older games, Sanitarium is one of the best when it comes to a good creepy atmosphere. It's a classic point and click adventure game. Also the Syberia series (I and II are some of the best adventure games).

Prefty

Banned
Jun 4, 2019
Metal Gear Solid 1, 2 and 3, there is your amazing story that will last you for a long long while, believe me on this, you wont be dissapointed, quote me if you agree, let OP enjoy the true koji....gaming experience of his life.

OP
OP

Deleted member 8861

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I got Silent Hill 1, Tactics Ogre and FF Tactics (WotL) today for my Vita, excited to give them a go.

//ARCANUM

Oct 25, 2017
I highly recommend HELLBLADE SENUA'S SACRIFICE. Only about 8 hours to beat (so not a huge commitment) and it has an incredible world / atmosphere. The story and characters are phenomenal. IMO it's a masterpiece.

Deleted member 56580

Banned
May 8, 2019

Complete edition if possible (including the fantastic dlc). It destroys Nier Automata in terms of story / philosophy / questioning

Outer Wilds close second, and I'd put PoE 2 as a third because the whole journey is quite frankly fantastic, to the detriment of a weak-ish main story. But the side quests, the lore, the world ... its outrageous

Matty H

Oct 31, 2017
The Witcher 3, skip straight to Hearts of Stone DLC.

It's not high fantasy like Lord of the Rings, it's closer to Game of Thrones, but it's really just about great character-centric storytelling with a flavouring of medieval times and mythical beings.

Escaflow

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Considering how much you like visual novels and Japanese adventure games, I highly recommend Snatcher to you! Emulate it, it's one of the absolute best out there!

Daedalus is another good Japanese detective game that's cheap on current platforms.

Yesss Fatal Frame 1 and 2 is what I would really wanted to recommend. It's dripping with atmosphere and the stories are pretty good.

My first choice is Bloodborne but I see it's been played, that's very cool

Tamath

Oct 31, 2017
Vienna, Austria
Play the No Code games, Stories Untold and Observation. Short but atmospheric with interesting concepts. I believe there's a free demo of part 1 of Stories.

HellofaMouse

Oct 27, 2017
Try swapper if you like a semi-challenging puzzler with thick atmosphere.

Also stories untold, captures the 80s vibe better than any game/movie/tv show ive seen

Rosur

Oct 28, 2017
Outer Wilds I think would fit, also if haven't played the Witcher 3. Another indie option is the banner saga.

Also Subnautica has a great atmosphere and its one of the best Survival games out there.

HK_1

Oct 27, 2017
Yakuza 0 is the game that you want. Judging from your tastes I think this would be the best option for you. I have similar tastes in games and it ended up being one of my all time favourites.

OP
OP

Deleted member 8861

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I played some FF tactics and got stuck in the very first battle for 20 minutes because the last chemist guy kept healing himself lmao

I don't know what I was thinking, I think I jumped the gun by buying both FFT and Tactics Ogre at the same time because I'm not a huge fan of TRPGs nor fantasy stories. Should've gotten FEZ (I had it on PC already) or VA-11 HALL-A instead, I would've enjoyed those more. Oh well. Next time.

Between the two I think I prefer Tactics Ogre so far.

Ishmae1

Creative Director, Microsoft
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
Seattle, WA
Horizon Zero Dawn has a compelling lead character and a great world that just gets better the more you learn about it. Combat is quite fun and it looks gorgeous on the pro. There's a good amount of visual storytelling as well.

While sub quests aren't all amazing, the main story was fun to follow and the collectable aspects actually flesh the world out even more.

If you enjoy peeling the onion on why a world is what it is, I think it's one of the best examples of a game that does it well.

EvilBoris

Prophet of Truth - HDTVtest
Verified
Oct 29, 2017
The Outer Wilds

A plague tale

2 of this year's most atmospheric games.

Elodes

Looks to the Moon
Nov 1, 2017
The Netherlands
I played some FF tactics and got stuck in the very first battle for 20 minutes because the last chemist guy kept healing himself lmao

I don't know what I was thinking, I think I jumped the gun by buying both FFT and Tactics Ogre at the same time because I'm not a huge fan of TRPGs nor fantasy stories. Should've gotten FEZ (I had it on PC already) or VA-11 HALL-A instead, I would've enjoyed those more. Oh well. Next time.

Between the two I think I prefer Tactics Ogre so far.
Oh!! You haven't played FEZ yet? I played that on the vita, and it was honestly a GOAT experience. Seriously one of my favourite atmospheres in gaming. Its not at all hostile since there are no enemies, but it is deeply mysterious, while simultaneously ranging the gamut from chill as heck to melancholic to ominous, even. Definitely one of my favourite game worlds. It's a real one of a kind game. What a shame Phil Fish cancelled the sequel.

XDevil666

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Man I feel bad for you that you haven't played the game of the generation God Of War. :(

If you want a full blown cinematic AAA block buster with twists and turns and if you haven't played it... then get Titanfall 2 and play the campaign

hersheyfan

Oct 25, 2017
Manila, Philippines
Have you played Saya no Uta? Fairly short VN by the writer of Madoka Magica and Fate Zero. Very dark subject matter that *will* mess you up for a few days. The soundtrack is excellent though, kind of reminds me of Fata Morgana's.

Yasumi, quick question:

What's the difference between the older version of Saya No Uta which launched on Steam in December, (and I already own, but seems to have been de-listed) and the new version, which launched today?

I want to get started on it after I finish Danganronpa V3 but I'm not sure if I need to play the old one or buy the new one instead.

Edit: Please disregard, I misremembered - I own Kara no Shojo on Steam, not Saya No Uta.

Last edited:

Vlodril

Dec 18, 2017
No doubt you played 80 Days, so I'll leave that there.

So, I'll recommend Insomnia: The Ark. It's in a good state after a buggy launch, and proffers a very beguiling world. Loved it. Quite a curious production.

The game was really buggy on launch as you said. The AI especially so in some missions. Did they fix that?

ghibli99

Oct 27, 2017
-Thomas Was Alone might be my favorite indie of all time, I like it a lot.
Have you played Subsurface Circular from the same creator (Mike Bithell)? I really liked it. It's mostly reading, but I thought the world, story, and visuals were really effective. IIRC, it also has creator commentary bits similar to Thomas Was Alone. I haven't played the follow-up Quarantine Circular yet though. Only $6 for Subsurface, and I think it goes on sale pretty regularly.

brokenswiftie

Prophet of Truth
Banned
May 30, 2018
Damn if you had a PS4
Horizon Zero Dawn would be pretty much what you wanted
But you can try Tacoma, Observation, Life is Strange, Alien Isolation, Ace Combat 7, Yakuza Kiwami and Kiwami 2 etc

falcondoc

Oct 29, 2017
I mean if you are looking for story and world building, there's really nothing better than Suikoden 1,2,3

jb1234

Very low key
Oct 25, 2017

ThreepQuest64

Avenger
Oct 29, 2017
Germany
I enjoy horror [...] stories

Play Hellblade. It's not a horror game per se, but the atmosphere is creepy as fuck and the game uses a lot of horror elements. The gameplay is simple but in this lies some beauty—the game focuses on atmosphere, the narrative and a simple but badass combat system (it goes slightly into character action, but not even close to games as DMC, GoW, etc.). Don't be held up by the little gameplay and give the game one or two hours (in case you want a refund then).

If you like complex gameplay mechanics on the other hand and aren't averse to rogue-lite games I recommend Darkest Dungeon. Again, incredible atmosphere and one of the best narrator voices there ever is.

Bomblord

Self-requested ban
Banned
Jan 11, 2018
OP you have very similar tastes to me so I will recommend this niche hidden gem to you without hesitation.

Go in blind it's better that way
ans-plus-boxart.jpg