• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Tetrinski

Banned
May 17, 2018
A little background first: I am happy to not know what number of iphone is coming out next year, and really only use my phone for browsing, music and emails, so I had never put much thought into it: whatever smartphone has decent reviews and I can get for like $300 or less so that I can go for the cheapest cellphone plans. This works great for me; I´ve got an almost 4 years old cheap phone that´s always worked great for me and I was planning on waiting for it to break before replacing it, no matter how long it took. In those four years my partner has broken the screens of like 6 much fancier phones while mine seems made of adamantium, and that´s why I see myself in a pickle right now.

My work is renewing work phones and I have to pick from an endless list. I narrowed it down to the ones they are giving us for free, of course eliminating the blackberries because we are almost in 2020. Now, here´s the catch: if I, say, drop the thing and it breaks, I have to pay for it. So, I give zero fucks about what´s more powerful, or what has the best camera; I want the Terminator of phones. After that, storage, and after that, (read this with Kratos´ voice) I DO NOT CARE. Actually, I do; is there a big difference in the cost of fixing any of these things if they break? These are the options:

-Iphone 11 128GB
-Google Pixel 3a and 3a XL
-Huawei P30
-Huawei P30 lite 128GB
-Samsung A70
-Samsung Galaxy S10 128GB
-Samsung Galaxy S10e 128GB

ERA, with all due respect, I don´t care what you´d pick; please tell me what I should pick.

QuantumZebra

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
iPhone 11 128GB.

Exact one I have and I love it. I switched from Android when I went from Galaxy S8+ to iPhone 8 Plus.

No more waiting to find out when an OS update or security update would be available, far fewer crashes, way better cloud/backup/environment solutions, and much faster overall.

I am aware that Google Pixels get Android updates (I believe for as long or close to what Apple provides....?) - but regardless I'd take iOS all day over Android.

linkboy

Oct 26, 2017
Reno
The best overall phone on the list is the Galaxy S10.

The best overall bang for the buck is the Pixels.

The iPhone 11 is a good option as well.

Me personally, I'd go for the S10, but that's because I'm not a huge iPhone fan and the S10 is more feature packed then the Pixels.

stersauce

Prophet of Truth
Avenger
Oct 28, 2017
san jose, ca
if you're on the apple ecosystem already, i'd go that

i'd also go iphone 11 even if i wasn't previously on apple's ecosystem

CloseTalker

Oct 25, 2017
iPhone 11 is an incredible phone, best iPhone in a good few years. Especially the 128GB option, which I feel like is the perfect sweet spot for 90% of people. Amazing value for the performance and quality.

Feb 1, 2018
iPhone is the ideal work phone. Lasts a long time, gets OS updates, you're more productive on it, can easily airdrop files and such to coworkers, imessage/facetime, camera is effortlessly good, and it's weather resistant.

You can get applecare with theft/loss/damage for 14/month for piece of mind as well

QuantumZebra

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
iPhone 11 is an incredible phone, best iPhone in a good few years. Especially the 128GB option, which I feel like is the perfect sweet spot for 90% of people. Amazing value for the performance and quality.
Dude asking what's the cheapest to repair and people telling him to get the iPhone lol.

That said, get the iPhone. Just buy a screen glass and a case. If you want to use your phone for 3+ years that's like the only reasonable choice.

^ Pretty much this.

Only Apple that I'm aware of supports their devices as long as they do. They *just now* stopped releasing iOS feature updates for iPhone 6 (6S is still going) and that phone is like... 6-7 years old?

And even then I believe they still release security updates for old iPhones.

MoosetheMark

May 3, 2019
I was an OG Android guy, my first was the Moto DROID and I used them for years. Couple years ago I switched to iPhone and never looked back. The standardization is a huge plus for me. Everyone has a spare charger. All cases fit. It's vastly more simple to have the screen repaired. Apps come out for it first and work better.

I used to love Android for rooting and adblock and everything else, but eventually I just wanted the same smooth as hell experience everyone else has.

grmlin

Oct 25, 2017
Germany
i would say iPhone, as it's a great phone.
anyway, get a case and a good glas screen protector with curved edges. My iPhones look like new after 2 years that way and they survive drops etc. Only thing that could happen is a shattered screen protector for about 10€.

OP
OP
Tetrinski

Tetrinski

Banned
May 17, 2018
I feel like most comments here didn´t read the OP, just went to the list, so I´ll emphasize my points:

-I am getting any of those phones for free, bang for buck is not my concern.
-I am not interested in speed, power or performance. My four year old phone is fast enough, and I´m sure any of those is faster.
-I want a reliable, resistant phone that won´t break easily. I´ll use this thing at work, and if it breaks I have to pay for it.

That´s all I care about, everything else is icing on the cake and I don´t really like icing on cakes.

Komo

Info Analyst
Verified
Jan 3, 2019
iPhone would be easiest. Not cheapest to repair. Tho if it breaks you can just buy applecare+ and be covered for 3 years +

QuantumZebra

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I was an OG Android guy, my first was the Moto DROID and I used them for years. Couple years ago I switched to iPhone and never looked back. The standardization is a huge plus for me. Everyone has a spare charger. All cases fit. It's vastly more simple to have the screen repaired. Apps come out for it first and work better.

I used to love Android for rooting and adblock and everything else, but eventually I just wanted the same smooth as hell experience everyone else has.

Same boat here, pal. Was a die-hard Droid fan till I saw the light.

Kinda hard to recover from being found out to ship all your data to a foreign government's intelligence services

All those threads shitting on the iPhone and talking about how Huawei is gonna end Apple seem pretty funny now.

i want a new phone. still rocking the 7 plus.

My buddy dailies his 7 Plus and still loves it.

The iPhone 11 128GB is the only upgrade I'd say you'd see big changes (esp. speed and camera) for a reasonable price.

Landy828

Oct 26, 2017
Clemson, SC
iPhone 11 128GB.

... way better cloud/backup/environment solutions,..

Not saying the rest of what you typed is right, but this in particular...nah.

You get unlimited Google Drive backup of your images/videos if you own a new Pixel phone. AT NO COST

I can sit here and upload terabytes of photos and videos, if I wanted, and it doesn't cost me a dime. Meanwhile my wife is having to pay for storage with her iPhone.

It also has one of the best cameras.

grmlin

Oct 25, 2017
Germany

You get unlimited Google Drive backup of your images/videos if you own a new Pixel phone. AT NO COST

I can sit here and upload terabytes of photos and videos, if I wanted, and it doesn't cost me a dime. Meanwhile my wife is having to pay for storage with her iPhone.

Didn't google change that? Btw. You do of course pay for it, nothing in life is free. you don't have to pay with money though, so if you don't care it appears to be free of course.

QuantumZebra

Banned
Oct 27, 2017

I can sit here and upload terabytes of photos and videos, if I wanted, and it doesn't cost me a dime.

The rest of what I typed is 100% correct - short of the Pixel no other manufacturer supports their phone for more than 1-2 years.

Just because you get free Google Drive storage on your Pixel doesn't mean Apple doesn't have a better ecosystem/environment.

I can save a track I record in Logic Pro X to iCloud and have it on my iPhone in less than a minute. I had to jump through hoops to do the same with my S8+.

If I did have an Android, it'd be a Pixel though, so don't think I'm hating.

Oct 28, 2017
Not sure what advice to give if you're saying you don't really care about features and only care about durability and repairability. Those are pretty objective things you can easily look up about these phones.

grmlin

Oct 25, 2017
Germany
If it's only about costs get the cheapest android phone on that list you could live with. They loose value fast and it should be no problem to replace it for a lot less than an iPhone in some month or later

OP
OP
Tetrinski

Tetrinski

Banned
May 17, 2018
I´m requesting the thread to be closed. Almost nobody read the OP, people started discussing all the things I don´t care about and almost nobody addressed my actual concerns, so the thread is irrelevant at this point. I´ll ask my company to cover my personal cell plan instead, I don´t need any of these things and just hearing how they are constantly updating gives me headaches and also I´m happy to not support any of these companies.

LuigiMario

Oct 28, 2017
Modern smartphones aren't really easily repairable. I'd imagine iPhones are probably the cheapest to repair (particularly using a third party) due to the wealth of parts readily available.

I'd go iPhone 11.

TaySan

SayTan
Dec 10, 2018
Tulsa, Oklahoma
I´m requesting the thread to be closed. Almost nobody read the OP, people started discussing all the things I don´t care about and almost nobody addressed my actual concerns, so the thread is irrelevant at this point. I´ll ask my company to cover my personal cell plan instead, I don´t need any of these things and just hearing how they are constantly updating gives me headaches and also I´m happy to not support any of these companies.
Sounds like you didn't want much of a discussion, but a google search would have easily answered your questions.

Judge

Vault-Tec Seal of Approval
Oct 25, 2017
This thread is being closed at request of the OP. Thanks!

Status
Not open for further replies.