• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

jamsy

Oct 27, 2017
OK, so I'm one of the three people out there who isn't watching all of the TV shows out there. In fact, I'm following none. So I remember they were marketing this pretty good a year or two back, and this got me curious. Was this show any good? Is it worth watching? I'm pretty picky when it comes to movies/shows, but I'd love something well written with an interesting premise. No spoilers please.

Oct 27, 2017
I enjoyed it. It's Tom Hardy playing a "sane", but very crazy dude, who knows voodoo and other weird shit. It's pretty grounded though despite some of that

Shy

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I thought it was really good. And different. Tom Hardy is very good in it.

It's only 6 episodes. So i'd say definitely check it out if you can.

gforguava

Oct 25, 2017
I loved it but I'm pretty sure it was met with more of a shrug than anything else from the average viewer.

C4lukin

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Tejas
Yeah I thought it was really good. A little slow at points, but it has a lot of great payoffs. I would say if you enjoy Peaky Blinders you will enjoy this. Similar in tone, but a little darker with a touch of mysticism.

The Driver

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Essssss pretty ok. He's a bit like a Victorian Batman. Atmosphere is great and I really dug the cast by the end.

The biggest things that bugged me was the main plot was a bit slow and convoluted at times and like Batman, Hardy's character feels op and like he's hardly ever challenged outside of getting slapped around like twice on the show lol.

Ferret

Oct 25, 2017
Essssss pretty ok. He's a bit like a Victorian Batman. Atmosphere is great and I really dug the cast by the end.

The biggest things that bugged me was the main plot was a bit slow and convoluted at times and like Batman, Hardy's character feels op and like he's hardly ever challenged outside of getting slapped around like twice on the show lol.

And he was pretty much prepared for the two times he was slapped around, like it was part of his plan.

Dog of Bork

Oct 25, 2017
Texas
I really enjoyed it, but I can't tell you what happened in it. Like, at all.

But give it a watch. The acting is great and the story is compelling (if confusing or forgettable).

spider

CLANG
On Break
Oct 23, 2017
Australia
I really liked it, it has a very strong ambience and kind of its own dark magicky feels. I like the set-ups and the tone, and Sam Lowry was great in there (forgot the actor's name forgive me)

Qvoth

Oct 26, 2017
it was quite boring
huge disappointment considering how much i liked peaky blinders, steven knight's other show

i'll probably test a few episodes of season 2 if it ever happens but i'm not having high expectations or anything

lt519

Oct 25, 2017
Wasn't really sure what was going on most of the time until the end tied it together but the setting and characters were well done. Ultimately enjoyed it but it was forgettable.

vatstep

Oct 25, 2017
I thought it was incredibly boring. The trailers/marketing made it look a lot more intriguing than it really was, I thought.

RatskyWatsky

Are we human or are we dancer?
Oct 25, 2017

Taki

Attempt to circumvent a ban with an alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
man that show has some extremely British looking people

kevin1025

Oct 25, 2017
I ended up really, really liking it. Tom Hardy always being the smartest guy in the room and ten steps ahead was a lot of fun to watch, and the dark and almost supernatural undertones was pretty good. I can see why people may dislike it or find it dull, but it portrayed that period well and gave some very fine performances along the way.

thediamondage

Oct 25, 2017
Tom Hardy was really awesome although he was VERY Tom Hardy in that "minimal talking, lot of stares, grunts a lot" way but yeah the actual story itself was VERY dull. Its setup for season 2 to be pretty interesting though, so hopefully it can deliver a bit more. There are a couple of cool twists that most people will completely miss which is interesting.

Its not really the show I think most people expected, a more paranormal and fast paced story revolving around the East India Company, India, Africa, and revenge ala Count of Monte Cristo but it just more is about mental illness (kinda) and fucked up relationships.

Saudade

Oct 26, 2017
It was a nice and gritty British period piece, with a great Max Richter soundtrack, tho I agree with the complaints that Hardy/Delaney is too OP. And I liked it when I was watching it, but now I struggle to remember anything about it so altogether it must not have been all that memorable.

Other than Hardy, Tom Hollander playing a sex-obsessed chemist was pretty fun to watch.

Donos

Nov 15, 2017
Stopped at ep 3 or 4 and keep forgetting it. Want to finish it but have to much on my plate. Like the setting and Hardy but some say, it's a bit uneventful.

TheBeardedOne

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Derry
I started watching it, but didn't get far. The setting and slow pace didn't interest me much, but I felt bad for passing because it was supposed to be good and I like Tom Hardy. For some reason, I find period pieces in the 1800s and early 1900s hard to get into, same with Game of Thrones style fantasy.

I guess I didn't miss much.

_Rob_

Oct 26, 2017
Wasn't sure about it at first, it was a slow burner. However, by the end it had "clicked" with me and I ended up watching the whole thing a second time. Cleverly written, intriguing and pretty satisfying in places; I very much look forward to a second season.

Valcrist

Tic-Tac-Toe Champion
Oct 25, 2017
I loved it. It had many epic moments. But I guess it's not for everyone, as this thread has shown. Just know that plenty of people think it is amazing. My circle of friends does. Can't wait for season 2, whenever that will be...

Lappe

Banned
Nov 1, 2017
It's a really slow burner like stated above, but It's great in my opinion.

Africa can fuck you up.

Spikematic

Oct 28, 2017
Everyone kept telling me it was boring AF so I didn't bother giving it a shot. From the replies above I guess I made the right call. There's way too many awesome TV shows out there anyway.

bshock

Self-requested permanent ban
Banned
Nov 3, 2017
I couldn't make it through episode 3 or so. Hardy was great as usual but it's super plodding.

Rymuth

Oct 26, 2017
Starts strong but loses steam midway. Hardy's character turns out to be too OP, so all sense of tension evaporates.

Aranath

Jan 15, 2018
My girlfriend and I thought it was fantastic. I don't quite get the complaints that it was confusing, though. Slower-paced? Sure, not that that's always a bad thing. But what was confusing or difficult to follow?

The performances were on point. Great soundtrack. Visually gorgeous.

I can't wait for season 2. *shrugs*

Oct 28, 2017
I watched every episode but if you were to ask me what happened I wouldn't be able to tell you, not because it was too complex but simply because I cannot recall a single thing about it.

I imagine I liked Tom Hardy in it though. And I think I can recall Stephen Graham who's always excellent.

Kaim Argonar

Dec 8, 2017
I felt like it was half of a season and that it needed 6 more episodes.

Hardy was enjoyable to watch. And the alchemist. That was the real star there.

Dust

C H A O S
Oct 25, 2017
"Mhmmm"
"Nootka..."
"Be...very...careful...now"

All that I remember.

Snack12367

Oct 28, 2017
I liked it, there isn't an awful lot that's memorable about it. Tom gives a stella performance and the rest of the cast does a really good job.

There isn't much Taboo with it though.
It feels like there were two stories running throughout the season. Hardy family/Hardy con and they feel like separate stories. They never interact despite times they should have done. The Con ends pretty well, but the family one really feels dumb. It's got everything to do with the title of the show for crying out loud. Oh and the East India Company being lead by the most incompetent idiots ever.
Overall I liked it, but I felt like the writing could have been tightened up a bit more. If they do a second series I think it could be something special.

Rimkrak

Oct 26, 2017
I enjoyed it , but was surprised at how forgetable it ended up being, coming from the man that makes Peaky Blinders, which is much more memorable.

But still, when I was watching it I found it highly enjoyable, Hardy is great, so is his sister and the Indian company's boss. Besides that, I actually have to agree with Don Draper's Hat and say that I don't really remember many happenings of the show, just the outline of the story, and some scenes that I enjoyed.
I think this show is more about the mood, which is much more memorable than the events imo.

I quite like the Batman comparison, nicely put.

ExInferus

Nov 14, 2017
great stuff. Pilot wasn't convincing though. Otherwise Hardy's character is mysterious and intriguing, the setting fantastic and it's overall really moody.

Hank Hill

Permanently banned for usage of an alt-account.
Oct 25, 2017
Watched it when it came out and it was ok.I think there will be another season.

Oct 27, 2017
Nottingham, UK
I really enjoyed it, though I always tend to enjoy Tom Hardy so that helped. I can see the boring complaints, though often I find I enjoy what others describe as boring. I wanted more after it had finished

metsallica

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
The show is freaking terrible. Makes no sense, goes nowhere. The excitement of seeing Hardy on TV couldn't overwhelm the heavy-handed mediocrity. Reminded me of Low Winter Sun. Total try hard, edgy show attempting to capitalize on current TV trends without actually understanding them at all. Skip.