• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

How much do you spend on lunch a day?

• $1-5

Votes: 103 26.8%
  • $6-10

Votes: 139 36.1%
  • $11-15

Votes: 65 16.9%
  • $16-20

Votes: 20 5.2%
  • $20+

Votes: 5 1.3%
  • I bring lunch everyday

Votes: 100 26.0%

• Total voters

Kill3r7

Oct 25, 2017
I try to bring lunch, it's healthier. Otherwise $12-15. Standard NYC prices for lunch on the go.

jph139

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
I bring lunch, and it runs me about $3 a day. When I run out of stuff for the week I'll hit up the building cafeteria, which is usually around $8.

I eat cheap, I spend more than $10 on a meal like... once a month. Over $20 and it's a big deal.

Professor Beef

Official ResetEra™ Chao Puncher
Oct 25, 2017
The Digital World
Too much recently. I've been spending close to $20 on lunch when realistically I should be spending half of that, but I can't say no to some snacks at the grocery store.

Aske

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Canadia
How do you only eat once per day and not be starving all day?

Your body just adapts. It's rare that I ever feel hungry, and I don't notice a drop in energy or ability to do things. In the evening I get my macros and micros, and maybe augment them with something empty-but-delicious. I'm trying to drop a few pounds, and I suppose my body is pretty good at switching over to eating fat without much fuss.

D23

Oct 25, 2017
$8-$13- downtown seattle...

I try to bring lunch but im too lazy to cook and i hate sandwich

finalflame

Product Management
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
How do you only eat once per day and not be starving all day?
Your body and appetite both adapt. It seems impossible until you get used to it, then something clicks and you really stop missing food and spending so much energy thinking about it.

This is what I hear from almost everyone that asks about this. "Oh my god I could never do that! I'd get so hungry!". Well yes, me too, at first it felt like torture because your brain and body are both expecting food on a schedule, and react accordingly. With discipline you power through and eventually after the hard work, it becomes a breeze.

Maple

Oct 27, 2017
I don't really eat lunch. Just mostly eat small snacks throughout the day whenever I get hungry (crackers, cheese, fruit, etc).

scottbeowulf

Oct 27, 2017
United States
Sometimes $6, other times $20+. Depends on my day. A busy day, I may just grab something quick and cheap. A slow day I may go sit and sip beers with lunch and take a few hours.

Rosebud

Two Pieces
Apr 16, 2018
I eat at home so I don't know.

But when I eat out it's usually junk food, so not much.

Xiaomi

Oct 25, 2017
About $5 US, if I divide out my weekly groceries (usually between $60-70 a week for lunch and dinner).

pepe_silvia

Oct 27, 2017
I'm curious about the inclusion of the "I bring lunch everyday" option? It's not like that food doesn't cost money. It could easily fit into the price range options. For example, there's a guy in my office that brings two frozen lunches every day. Each one is ~$3.50. So that's like $7/day, which is comparable to a fast food budget. Others that bring in leftovers are probably spending anywhere between $1-$4/meal. Seems to compromise data by lumping those two scenarios together.

OP
OP
HamSandwich

HamSandwich

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I'm curious about the inclusion of the "I bring lunch everyday" option? It's not like that food doesn't cost money. It could easily fit into the price range options. For example, there's a guy in my office that brings two frozen lunches every day. Each one is ~$3.50. So that's like $7/day, which is comparable to a fast food budget. Others that bring in leftovers are probably spending anywhere between $1-$4/meal. Seems to compromise data by lumping those two scenarios together.

I get what you mean but I was thinking along the lines of lunch as an additional expense. But I realized people do buy groceries on weekends specifically for lunch during the week, so that was my mistake.

Uriah

Oct 25, 2017
$1-5 and I bring lunch nearly every day. I used to eat out, but I got fed up spending so much money. Much healthier too.

LuigiMario

Oct 28, 2017
I bring my lunch every day and go out maybe once a week with coworkers. So prolly $3 when I bring a lunch, $10 when I go out.

Darren Lamb

Dec 1, 2017
3.50 or so if I bring my Huel, 10-12 if I don't

I usually make coffee too. I tend to do both or neither, which can be a 10-15 dollar swing

lunarworks

Oct 25, 2017
Toronto
I throw together a sandwich or pack leftovers, and grab an Arizona at the corner store, so <$2 for me.

I burn calories fast, so by the time I'm off work I'm starving and usually pick up a McDouble for my commute home.

killerrin

Oct 25, 2017
Toronto
If I was to eat lunch out everday, it would be burning a hole in my pocket of about ~$10-15/day ($50-75/week, $200-300/mo, $2400-3600/yr). So I instead make extra when I cook dinner dinner and bring that as lunch (~$3/meal). I also try and limit myself to eating out once or twice a week at max; spread across all meals.

skipgo

Dec 28, 2018
I buy groceries weekly and make my own lunch from that.... so idk, my rough calculation is that it's between 10~15 reais per lunch per week...
oh crap, I forgot this forum is in dollars. done goofed.

Aurongel

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
$0 - We have a few free snacks provided for free by my office that are low calorie and enough to get me through the second half of my day. I offset this by having one Huel shake every morning that gives me a much needed boost in nutrition that I'd otherwise struggle to find.

Huel is shockingly good at making you feel full despite its lightweight appearance.

Oct 27, 2017
I try to bring my own sandwiches to keep costs down, but should I forget I try to spend no more than about £3-£4 I guess. A sandwich with crisps and/or noodles.

flaxknuckles

Oct 25, 2017
$11-20. Way too much basically. I'd cook and bring food to work but then it would be weird to microwave it in the break room just to leave and eat it in my car.

Deception

Nov 15, 2017
I try and bring lunch as much as I can, usually 3-4 times a week but when I do get lunch I try and keep it between $8-12.

Vapelord

Oct 27, 2017
Montreal
Nothing, I used to bring a lunch years ago. But majority of the time what I felt like eating in the morning and prepared is not what I wanted at lunch and would have to begrudgingly choke down. Now I just skip lunch and have a big dinner.

Aranjah

Oct 27, 2017
I usually have some kind of microwave frozen dinner thing that runs between $3.50 and $5.50 depending on if it's a good one or a crappy one. Once a week I go out to lunch with some coworkers and we vent about all the things and people at work that frustrate us and then I spend ~15.

Transistor

Hollowly Brittle
Administrator
Oct 25, 2017
Washington, D.C.
I tend to bring my lunch almost every day, which equates to about $5 a day. Sometimes I'll splurge and go out for lunch, which is between $10 and $15

Alucrid

Chicken Photographer
Oct 25, 2017
i bring usually. but if i'm buying it could range from $5 for like...halal chicken and rice or $15-20 at an actual restaurant.

Slappy White

Oct 27, 2017
I'm cheap. I bring mine almost every day. The days that I don't I'm usually getting a free lunch from a vendor or something related to work.

SweetBellic

Oct 28, 2017
I try to bring lunch as often as possible and only go out for lunch once or twice a week, which is for the best as I work in the financial district in DTLA and lunch around here is generally in the $11-$15 range.

EN1GMA

Avenger
Nov 7, 2017
About $10. I commute 2 hours a day like you, OP, and I try to go out with colleagues every day. Just getting outside and getting some fresh air is what keeps me going some days. Swedish lunch box culture is very strong but I refuse to be part of it. Why people who could easily afford a proper meal insists on constantly eating last night's leftovers for lunch will always be beyond me.
Why would leftovers not be considered a proper meal? They were considered a proper meal the night before.

BasilZero

Oct 25, 2017
Omni
Where's $0 or don't eat lunch option

For my one hour break I spend it streaming anime/Disney plus or playing one of my portables (DS, 3DS, or psp)