• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

How much do you spend on lunch a day?

• $1-5

Votes: 103 26.8%
  • $6-10

Votes: 139 36.1%
  • $11-15

Votes: 65 16.9%
  • $16-20

Votes: 20 5.2%
  • $20+

Votes: 5 1.3%
  • I bring lunch everyday

Votes: 100 26.0%

• Total voters

HamSandwich

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Excuse the odd poll choices, but curious as to how much people spend on lunch a day. I commute two hours to work each day so I don't really bring anything.

But during lunch I easily find myself spending on average 14 bucks a day on lunch which really adds up. Wish I could find cheaper places in NYC to eat but I don't think I could eat food trucks everyday lol. Even salads like 12 dollars.

Era, what's your lunch spending like?

_bemusedchunk

Banned
Nov 6, 2019
North of Boston
Due to living in the Boston Metro area, lunch is easily 10-15 bucks, and could be upwards of 20 depending on where you go and what you eat.

However, my PERSONAL answer is to just bring your lunch.
Make more than you would for dinner, and eat the leftovers for lunch the next day.

This helped me stretch my budget further, and also lose some weight over the past 2-3 years.

wholahay

Dec 18, 2017
I'm in NYC too and yeah my lunch is routinely in the like, $13-16 dollar range. It's not great but I'm not fully broke so, like, I dunno. I'm living.

Before the packed lunch evangelists arrive: I have one very simple rule. I don't bring food over rivers. You will not convince me.

LakeEarth

Oct 27, 2017
Ontario
If I'm working, < $5. Sandwich with a slice of cheese and some ham and mustard, a couple of apples and a banana.

If I forget my lunch, I try to keep it under $10.

T002 Tyrant

Nov 8, 2018
I dunno I make sandwiches so that probably works out as just under £1 a sandwich? Crisps, can of drink. About a rounded £2 a day perhaps?

Edit: £1.37 a day.

finalflame

Product Management
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
$0, work provides all meals/food/snacks/whatever. Back when I didn't have the luxury, I usually just skipped lunch and fasted.

Deleted member 12129

User requested account closure
Oct 27, 2017
I buy sandwich ingredients and keep them in the fridge at work, and sealed bread or wraps at my desk. I'd say it averages to about $2-3 a day.

SpottieO

Oct 25, 2017
I bring my lunch usually every day of the week. So I probably spend like $3 -$4 per lunch at the grocery store?

MechaMarmaset

Nov 20, 2017
I take in leftovers from the previous night's dinner. It saves between $200 and $300 a month. I also go home earlier because my lunch is shorter because I don't have to spend forever deciding what I want, waiting in line, picking it up, etc.

Deleted member 9479

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Usually bringing from home. Today was a dark quarter roast chicken and a small salad. Easily less than $5, probably around $3.

Tonorrow is roast chicken breast, curried sweet potatoes, broccoli. Again, probably around $3.

WedgeX

Oct 27, 2017
I bring my lunch just about every day. Which runs me likely about $2.50 or so.

If I ate out, it'd be between $12-$15 daily, with the prices around here.

frankenstrat

Oct 27, 2017
I work in food delivery while I go back to school and help support my family. Being able to have lunch free saves me something in the realm of $100+ per month if I were to go buy things, and maybe something like $50 per month if I were to bring it.

eXistor

Oct 27, 2017
Usually I just bring home-made sandwiches, but I don't feel like them having them every day so I stop by the local bakery and get something like a ham and cheese croissant for €1,80.

Tempy

Oct 25, 2017
I have lunch at the work cafetaria. Only costs roughly 3 euros a day. Rest is paid for by work. Some of it is tax-deductible for the employer I believe. It's a proper lunch, not sandwiches or fast food.

I Don't Like

Dec 11, 2017
$0

I can bring lunch but I normally don't. There's usually catering leftovers 2 or so times a week and if not I just eat some free fruit from the kitchen at the office and that's it. It's a good way of keeping up intermittent fasting for me. Plus saves money. I do get hungry but work through it and around 3pm I take my preworkout mix which kills my appetite until dinner.

Jeronimo

Nov 16, 2017
I bring lunch to work most days (most days is now 3 days, since I work from home twice a week). Lunch is usually something my wife or I made, leftovers, sandwiches, or salads.

I sometimes buy lunch on Friday, but I don't like to spend a lot, because we tend to get doordash or go out for dinner on weekends.

LosDaddie

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Longwood, FL
$1-$5 per day.

I used to bring my lunch (usually leftovers or a struggle sandwich), but my new position (with much higher pay 🥰) allows me to live a little.

so.....nowadays I walk to the nearby Publix every other work day for a whole sub sandwich (that I split for 2 days), some pork rinds, and some berries.

I have a mini-fridge in my office that keeps the stuff I don't eat cold. It's great.

Aske

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Canadia
Nothing. I prefer to eat one meal in the evening, when I can relax and enjoy it. I voted $1-5 simply because there was no $0 option.

eosos

Banned
Dec 21, 2017
Typically $0 since work provides all my food. When I worked someplace where this wasn't the case it was like $12 a day. Never going to pack my own lunch tho, not worth my time and I like the small luxury of a lunch that's better than a boring sandwich.

Bear

Oct 25, 2017
I'm in NYC too and yeah my lunch is routinely in the like, $13-16 dollar range. It's not great but I'm not fully broke so, like, I dunno. I'm living.

Before the packed lunch evangelists arrive: I have one very simple rule. I don't bring food over rivers. You will not convince me.
Seems kinda pricey even for NYC. I usually can keep lunches to $8-$11.

FliX

Master of the Reality Stone
Oct 25, 2017
Metro Detroit
I bring lunch to work every day, and for the most part that should work out to about $3 a portion.

nullref

Oct 27, 2017
I bring my lunch from home once or twice a week (on average), but that varies based on what leftovers we happen to generate that week—I don't put much effort into planning ahead for lunches. Otherwise, I'll mostly eat in the office cafeteria, since there are limited other options nearby. Lunch there is typically in the $6–10 range, depending on what you choose. Possibly the company subsidizes it to some degree.

Nivash

Oct 25, 2017
About $10. I commute 2 hours a day like you, OP, and I try to go out with colleagues every day. Just getting outside and getting some fresh air is what keeps me going some days. Swedish lunch box culture is very strong but I refuse to be part of it. Why people who could easily afford a proper meal insists on constantly eating last night's leftovers for lunch will always be beyond me.

Eros

Oct 27, 2017
I eat mostly homecooked. But if I have to buy something, I expect to spend around the 10 dollar range.

Shadybiz

Oct 27, 2017
Why does the length of the commute matter, OP? You can do a meal prep like every Sunday or something and put 5 lunches in 5 separate containers or something similar. If it's something that needs to stay cold, you can get a small insulated bag and put a freezer pack in there.

mhayes86

Oct 27, 2017
Maryland
I bring my lunch to work and usually go out on Fridays, which is typically $10-$15.

I don't know how some people can go out and get a $10 lunch every day.

Rivenblade

Nov 1, 2017
I normally bring my lunch, but I just dropped 20 bucks on ramen, followed by a muffin and a ginger ale. IT'S A SPECIAL DAY, DON'T JUDGE ME.

My daily "money spent on food" average at work is probably around the 6 or 7 dollar mark.

Usually drop 3 to 5 bucks per day on coffee, soup, chips, or muffins, and one "out" meal, like ramen, per week.

OP
OP
HamSandwich

HamSandwich

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Why does the length of the commute matter, OP? You can do a meal prep like every Sunday or something and put 5 lunches in 5 separate containers or something similar. If it's something that needs to stay cold, you can get a small insulated bag and put a freezer pack in there.

I try to carry as little as possible since the subways can get jammed packed in the mornings and afternoons. It's really just for convenience sake.

Edit: Plus it's nice to walk away from the office to recollect myself.

TheBryanJZX90

Nov 29, 2017
I'm over $10 more often than I'm under it.

I really should be bringing lunch, but I really like having an excuse to leave the office for a bit at lunch.

Borgnine

Oct 25, 2017
I buy 4 of those ready to eat salads from the grocery store on Sunday and eat them Monday through Thurs. I think they're like 5 or 6 dollars each. Friday I'll eat out for like 15.

roflwaffles

Oct 30, 2017
Alot of the tech firms in San Francisco subsidize your lunch so the majority of the time I don't pay for it. If I do go out for lunch, it usually runs $9-13

Seirith

Oct 25, 2017
I eat at home since I work from home and I voted 1-5. I usually eat a sandwich, leftovers or random things I find in the kitchen. My husband takes a frozen meal every day, which is between 2-3. I do eat out with my parents on Wednesday when we visit the antique shop we are part of but most of the time they pay.

Dr. Giggles

Oct 31, 2017
About $6. I eat at my universities' dining hall/food court. I should probably buy stuff to make my own lunch. I spend way too much on food.

Failburger

Banned
Dec 3, 2018
1 dollar bag of steamable veggies
Whatever I bring from home (usually beans)
1 passion fruit monster if I'm willing to walk

Deleted member 23381

Banned
Oct 28, 2017

Because fuck carrying anything on a commute.