• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Deleted member 19767

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Hey Era
So my friend is gonna borrow me his Switch for a few months and i'm in the mood for a JRPG.

i never got play Final Fantasy XII and Xenoblade seems like to be the tentpole JRPG Franchise on Nintendo.
So i am probably gonna pick a title between these two

im looking for a decent/solid Story that keeps me engaged troughout the game (story is key for me, which is why i stopped playing Zelda BOTW back then when i had my own switch)
I like grinding to make my character(s) powerful which is why the combat/gameplay shouldn't be subpar
artstyle over graphics - beautiful landscapes - towns and maybe not too many fetch quests (tough i guess that's something i have to accept in a JRPG)

FF12 no question. I thought it was an excellent game with a strong story and engaging combat/leveling mechanics. The cast is pretty good with the exception of two.

Xenoblade 2 has some incredible landscapes and music. But there's really not anything else interesting there that FF12 doesn't do better.

Skyebaron

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Dont get Xeno 2 if your tolerance for embarrasing overacted anime dialog is low. If it is, Xeno 2 expansion and FF12

MrPanic

Oct 25, 2017
It's funny, I finally beat XB2 just a moment ago. I got 80 hours into it, then dropped it about a year ago. People I know were praising the Torna dlc including some people that didn't like the main game that much so I grabbed the expansion pass last weekend on the sale and decided to power through the ending of XB2 before I start Torna. I'd say overall XB2 might be my least favorite of the Xenoblade games, however it was clearly still a very enjoyable experience considering I now have 100 hours on my savefile. I will warn you for the story though, it's obnoxiously anime. It's still a entertaining story but it's presented in such a cliche anime way that your tolerance of it will probably line up with your regular tolerance of watching anime series.
how is the Xenoblade Story compared to Tales of Games? it's been quite a while but from what i remember Tales of Graces F was a cringe fest that i certainly don't want to experience again
Xenoblade's story is definitely way more interesting than Tales of Graces F. While XB2 definitely throws some cringe at you at moments, there are actually interesting plotlines going on in the background while Graces is just dumb anime twists the whole way through. The only reason I played as much of Graces as I did was honestly the jolly co-op and silly gameplay, that game was hella dumb apart from the somewhat likable characters.

SPRidley

Oct 25, 2017
Get Xeno 2.

i can live with Anime tropes and storylines - but it has its limits - like Star Ocean 4/Tales of Graces F...no thank you
Not even near. They used them as jokes mostly and some of the blade designs.
Apart from what I mentioned above, the overall story and main cast interactions feel more FF9 than Tales games.

EDIT
See you got FF12 at the end. Reading what you say in the op and some of your comments here, i dont think you did the right choice. You are going to be bored out of your mind.

Opa-Opa

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 16, 2018
Easiest answer ever: Xeno 2

Much more fun game.

KLoWn

Oct 27, 2017
Easily Xenoblade 2, but FFXII is really good too, so you can't really go wrong.

Dreamboum

Oct 28, 2017
I believe we should just compare the two by the kind of cutscenes that it delivers to know which one appeals the most

Cudpug

Nov 9, 2017
Both are fine games indeed, though I enjoyed Xenoblade 2 more overall. I felt its characters were much more engaging and I was impressed with how much content there is - with the Blades having side-stories etc. Torna is also a great addition, adding some much-needed depth to the history of the world. I really enjoyed my time with it.

SPRidley

Oct 25, 2017
I believe we should just compare the two by the kind of cutscenes that it delivers to know which one appeals the most

I have played over 200 hours and ive never EVER seen that xenoblade 2 cutscene in my playthrough.

Also dont be a fucking prick, both games have excellent and bad ones, and you went for a usper side content one for xenoblade and a main one for 12.
You didnt post one of the excellent Xenobalde 2 main cutscenes because...

Dreamboum

Oct 28, 2017
I have played over 200 hours and ive never EVER seen that xenoblade 2 cutscene in my playthrough.

Also dont be a fucking prick, both games have excellent and bad ones.
You didnt post one of the excellent Xenobalde 2 cutscenes because....
I overdid it but I originally wanted to post the one where it was implied Tora wanted to make Poppi a sex slave so it was a net improvement in my mind.

KLoWn

Oct 27, 2017
im looking for a decent/solid Story that keeps me engaged troughout the game (story is key for me, which is why i stopped playing Zelda BOTW back then when i had my own switch)
I like grinding to make my character(s) powerful which is why the combat/gameplay shouldn't be subpar
artstyle over graphics - beautiful landscapes - towns and maybe not too many fetch quests (tough i guess that's something i have to accept in a JRPG)
In the story department it can go either way, depending on what you prefer in a story, but when it comes to combat/gameplay(grinding) and beautiful art/landscapes Xenoblade just murders FFXII. You should honestly just look up some videos showing these elements of the game to see what you think looks more fun/looks better.

Add to that that XC2 has one of the best soundtracks ever, and FFXII has a bland pile off meh. Easily the worst FF soundtrack I've heard.

RROCKMAN

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Why dont you post some trash 12 mediocrity character interaction or some bunny girls for 12 then?

Because even those bunny girls have way more class then half the Xenoblade 2 cast? It'd make Xenoblade look worse. The viera don't have boob jokes nor would they make penis jokes and slap someone for explaining it.

Redcrayon

Patient hunter
On Break
Oct 27, 2017
UK

Also dont be a fucking prick, both games have excellent and bad ones, and you went for a usper side content one for xenoblade and a main one for 12.
You didnt post one of the excellent Xenobalde 2 main cutscenes because...
Is this level of hostility over this really necessary?

Oct 27, 2017
Xenoblade by a mile.

Easily one of the best RPG's on Switch while FF12 is probably the worst game in its series.

Geobros

Dec 31, 2018
Oh man I played Xenoblade 2 last year and it was really epic with a great story!!!! I spent about 340 hours as it has huge grinding. Final Fantasy XII was epix too, great battles and medium story. I spent about 180 hours for the 100% of the game.

I would suggest you to play both mate....start from XII.

KernelC

alt account
Banned
Aug 28, 2019
God, the voice acting audio mixing in this... It sounds like a fan dub at best. I can't believe I made it through a several hours before switching to Japanese.
I even struggled with the japanese dub. It was too cheesy to be fun, not in a "so cheesy its funny kinda way, more in a "this is too cheesy, why are you guys tyelling your attack names like its a low tier shounen anime? it doesn't feel earned AAAAA". What was worse is that the OST was godtier but turning it up meant listening to the voices

K Samedi

Oct 27, 2017
FF12 is great but old and Xenoblade is a very good game with some flaws. I would go for Xenoblade.

Redcrayon

Patient hunter
On Break
Oct 27, 2017
UK
I mean that is a BS comparison and the poster knows it.
Is it? Xenoblade 2 has cut scenes where the party pervert is 'upgrading' a child character that is also their maid to have bigger tits, with the model number relating to their age as a schoolgirl in Japan. Nothing FFXII does can compare to that, so I find hostility in defence of the quality of a Xenoblade 2 cut scene comparison to be unnecessary.

Altair

Jan 11, 2018
I've only played FFXII so obviously that's my choice, but it's a phenomenal game and is my 2nd favorite title in the FF franchise only coming in behind FFX.

Weebos

Oct 25, 2017
Both are great, I think Xenoblade Chronicles 2 is incredible and would choose that.

.exe

Oct 25, 2017
Is it? Xenoblade 2 has cut scenes where the party pervert is 'upgrading' a child character that is also their maid to have bigger tits, with the model number relating to their age as a schoolgirl in Japan. Nothing FFXII does can compare to that, so I find hostility in defence of the quality of a Xenoblade 2 cut scene comparison to be unnecessary.

Going by my current playthrough of the game, FFXII has some questionable camera framing now and then, but it doesn't do fan service like XB2 where it is highly disruptive and unapologetically at the forefront. Two of the three main female characters are dressed very provocatively. But it's at least partly balanced out by Basch's ab window and Vaan's whole thing. Still don't love it though.

Redcrayon

Patient hunter
On Break
Oct 27, 2017
UK
A race of bunny women is clearly more problematic.....
Yeah, there are degrees to this shit, and the sexualised bunny girl crap of FF is bad enough without descending into the full modern otaku nonsense that XB2 wears on it's sleeve.

Going by my current playthrough of the game, FFXII has some questionable camera framing now and then, but it doesn't do fan service like XB2 where it is highly disruptive and unapologetically at the forefront.
This, basically. XB2 wears that shit from the minute you see it's marketing material. FFXII also does the camera framing, but it doesn't make it clear from minute one that that's what it's aimed at. The cynical, direct marketing to otaku for stuff like XB2 and some gacha games is on a different level to the already problematic background radiation of objectification endemic in some (or even most) JRPGs.

Last edited:

KernelC

alt account
Banned
Aug 28, 2019
A race of bunny women is clearly more problematic.....
they are fucking badass. Xenoblade 2 isn't even slightly creepy. It's just full on otaku, you never go full otaku. It even has an ingame gacha-esque system that fucking sucks. Although now you can actually skip the animations

Starsunder

Oct 25, 2017
FF12 is goddamn good. Incredible world building, some great dialogue that's ALSO well acted, awesome music, surprisingly deep combat...the works.

In my top 5 FF games for sure

Oct 29, 2017
UK
Xenoblade 2 is honestly the most disappointing game I've played in recent years. I actively hated my time with it but only stuck because I loved the first and also liked X. Rex is just a terrible protagonist and I've already seen "I wanna fuck my anime weapon" already. The combat is kinda reliant on the gacha system and it suffers for it. None of the characters are good except Morag and Nia. Zeke is a one trick pony which never amounts to much, he's just there to be a Cloud chuuni guy who is relevant to the plot so he can try and resolve daddy issues.

FF12 if you can find it cheap, honestly. It is a much better game.

Transistor

Hollowly Brittle
Administrator
Oct 25, 2017
Washington, D.C.
FF12 is goddamn good. Incredible world building, some great dialogue that's ALSO well acted, awesome music, surprisingly deep combat...the works.

In my top 5 FF games for sure
Matsuno x Sakimoto. A perfect combo. It makes me wonder how the game would have turned out if Matsuno didn't have to drop out and hand it over to Ito. Don't get me wrong, Ito did a great job taking over, but Matsuno is one of my favorite world builders and I kind of want to see his complete vision. His work on FFT and Vagrant Story is just unmatched.

mclem

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah, I'm going to go down the "You probably can't go wrong with either" option.

I will suggest that if exploration is your thing, you'll much more out of the scale of Xenoblade, though, the world has so much more identity.

Last edited:

HotHamBoy

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Is it weird that I've put twice as many hours into XBC2 and still think it's worse than FFXII?

on second thought, no, because XBC2 was one of the only Switch RPGs available at the time I played it.

it's trash.

Yeah, there are degrees to this shit, and the sexualised bunny girl crap of FF is bad enough without descending into the full modern otaku nonsense that XB2 wears on it's sleeve.

This, basically. XB2 wears that shit from the minute you see it it's marketing material. FFXII also does the camera framing, but it doesn't make it clear from minute one what it's aimed at. The cynical, direct marketing to otaku for stuff like XB2 and some gacha games is on a different level to the already problematic objectification endemic in some JRPGs.
Agreeeeeed.

when I see something like Fran's design or Ashe's shorts in a game like FFXII I wince occasionally and think "that's unfortunate."

But when I play XBC2 EVERYTHING is cringe. I'm like, embarrassed for myself when I'm playing it.

fourfourfun

Oct 27, 2017
England
I'm still salty the respec option never came to PC and PS4, but are in the Switch and XB1 versions.

Oh being able to change up licenses at any point? Yeah. I feel that is fundamental.

I never did finish FFXII on the PS2 and I love the improvements the ZJS brought. This respec feature was fantastic as - more than likely - you only really understand how you want your jobs to play out about 50% of the way through the game.

I remember being a bit disparaging towards the story when I first played the game, however that was because I spent large amounts of time doing additional "stuff" between story beats. So I actually wasn't getting to experience the story through choice and that coloured my view. Second time around, I appreciated it a bit more.

GuEiMiRrIRoW

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Brazil
Xenoblade 1 is the one you should me aiming for.

Wait for it. Play a mario game or anything else. You are gonna be amazed by xenoblade 1 remake.