• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

ERA: Have you guys planned your retirement yet?

• Yes

Votes: 265 47.7%
  • No

Votes: 213 38.4%
  • Procrastinating...

Votes: 77 13.9%

• Total voters

Radarscope1

Oct 29, 2017
The most powerful force in the world is compound interest and you'd be be missing out on it.

Take two people, one who puts $100/mo into their nest egg from age 20 through 30, and the other who starts at 30 and never stops. At an average 7% growth rate (not unreasonable,) the person who started at 30 never catches up. Ever.

Exactly. Wish I was taught this earlier in life. It should be taught as a staple alongside the three branches of government, etc. Like just this simple example alone needs to be in front of every HS kid at least a few times.

Shadybiz

Oct 27, 2017
Just hit my mid-30s and am just NOW able to start saving after a decade plus of paying down debt and busting ass to get my career to the place it is. I have a small retirement fund but I honestly fucking hate the stock market. I am saving but not fully investing quite yet. I guess I should talk to a financial advisor at some point.

In the meantime I've just made sure I have a kick ass life insurance policy because I also don't think I'll ever live long enough to retire. Not a single male in my family has lived past 65. My only concern with savings is to make sure there is enough money around to help family if something happens to me. Beyond that, I think I'll always be working.

This isn't a Whole Life policy, is it? At your age, Term is perfectly fine, and the extra you'd spend on the premiums for Whole is most likely better off going towards your retirement fund.

LukeOP

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Why on earth would you need that much to retire at 60?
With the 4% rule (which is already conservative) you're looking at an annual retirement "income" of $240k-$400k

At 60 I don't get slapped with an early withdraw penalty and I want the money I have accumulated to kick off the process of my family having generational wealth. I don't want any of my descendants to be poor ever again.

vrcsix

Oct 29, 2017
The most powerful force in the world is compound interest and you'd be be missing out on it.

Take two people, one who puts $100/mo into their nest egg from age 20 through 30, and the other who starts at 30 and never stops. At an average 7% growth rate (not unreasonable,) the person who started at 30 never catches up. Ever.

I know you guys mean well, but I really don't care. As I said, it's almost a certainty that I won't live long enough for that money to be any good. The way things are going for me right now on a personal level, I'm not even sure I'll make it to 34.

Fallout-NL

Oct 30, 2017
About 30 / 40k in savings and I own a house. So there's something, but retirement... nothing. The options for independently employed ppl in the Netherlands fucking suck. I can start investing by myself but it feels like such a crapshoot. Still, it's better than giving it to an intermediary who will tell me things didn't work out when I'm 70 and it's all gone.

the subject keeps me up at night though. I'm 37 in two months, so kinda fucked already.

Oct 27, 2017
Started saving when I was 22. Wish I would have understood what I was doing a bit more back then, cause I would have put more back. I'm glad I started early though.

Right now my plan is to build up equity in my current house, then use it and some other investments to get the down payment on a forever house in about 7-9 years. I think I should be able to get that house paid off or close to paid off by the time I retire at 65. Hopefully I can retire earlier if my investments do well.

Canucked

Comics Council 2020 & Chicken Chaser
Oct 25, 2017
Canada
I have a work RRSP and my partner does too but it won't be enough to support either of us unless we retire when we are like 102.

I also have a condition that statistically tells me I won't live to old age, not to be morbid, but that's weirdly a relief, even though I am doing my best to stay tip top.

padlock

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I'm really surprised by people saying they'll need multiple millions to retire. That seems incredibly high. By my calculations, if you factor in things like social security and perhaps some of your home equity (you can always downsize or sell and rent), than even $1,000,000 (in today's dollars) seems more than adequate for a very comfortable retirement, including plenty of travel. What am I missing?

iHeartGameDev

Feb 22, 2019
Yes -- but I honestly don't ever want to stop working. I would like to be a developer/creator/artist until I die. Stagnation is a killer in my opinion.

Lumination

Oct 26, 2017
Looking to retire early. $500k-$1M in taxable accounts by 35 is my target. I'm ok with living frugally, but everything may change depending on the person I settle down with.

Dyle

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
I wouldn't call it a plan but I put a decent amount into my 401k and have some money put away in a Roth IRA. At some point once the pandemic is over I'll need to sit down with an advisor and reevaluate things

Torpedo Vegas

Oct 27, 2017
Parts Unknown.
Oh-Wait-Youre-Serious_o_97195.gif

entremet

You wouldn't toast a NES cartridge
Oct 26, 2017
I invest for retirement. I won't call it planning though since things like where I live are big variables.

kiaaa

Oct 27, 2017
As long as there are no major disasters in my trade, I have a pension that gets $10/hour and another pension that is currently $110 per month for every credit I have. Assuming I don't have any long term unemployment, I'll have 30 credits at age 58.

Cipherr

Oct 26, 2017
I'm really surprised by people saying they'll need multiple millions to retire. That seems incredibly high. By my calculations, if you factor in things like social security and perhaps some of your home equity (you can always downsize or sell and rent), than even $1,000,000 (in today's dollars) seems more than adequate for a very comfortable retirement, including plenty of travel. What am I missing?

I won't speak for others but I fully expect to have to cover expenses for some older close family members by my retirement age. I'm aiming high because we want to be comfortable and not feel overly burdened by those expenses.

Oct 25, 2017
My target number is for a completely passive $100k/yr. I figure that even with inflation, 80 year old wife and me could survive on that. Planning on that to come roughly equally from three buckets; SS, wife's pension, and our various retirement accounts and we hit that basically as soon as we decide to start taking SS.

This thread is a good example of the haves and have nots. At least some of the people posting in here about their favourable circumstances are able to acknowledge their privilege, but I just hope that everyone recognises that this is the exception and not the rule.

Being able to afford to retire in your thirties, or having an inheritance, or realistically being able to look forward to having millions set aside at retirement are all wonderful things but not remotely representative. I suppose there's an element of response bias here, and those in a good position are more likely to post about their situation.

None of this is a knock on those doing well, of course.
This thread is also a good example of fatalism becoming a self-fulfilling prophecy.

If you don't take steps early for your retirement because you think you'll never be able to, well then... you won't be able to (except as noted in my example below, you actually could retire, it just won't be very cushy.) I always want to say two things in these discussions to hopefully dispel some of the fatalism:

0. I certainly recognize that there is privilege in this discussion and that there are people who can't afford a robust retirement, that's why we should support a robust security safety net.

1. SS is not going away, even if the fund is depleted (which is a political nuclear bomb,) it'll still pay out~75-76% of benefits

2. Small efforts early pay off thanks to compound interest/growth. At just 5%, your money more than doubles in ~17 years, and if you're able to keep adding to it, shit gets off the rails.
So two examples:

My mom was horrible with money. As a single mom, she was up to her eyeballs in debt even though my dad was good about child support. Credit cards, second mortgage, "invested" in a mini motor home that she had to use as her daily driver, decided to retire very early after she got laid off and is getting hundreds less than the average SS benefit. Her only advantage is that she's in a low cost of living area. It's tight, but she is fully retired on SS alone.

I'm not much better. I threw whatever the default amount was in an early job's Simple IRA for ~4 years. Wife and I inconsistently put a painless amount per month in a Roth IRA after that. Threw another default small amount in to a 401k at my current job until I got more serious about contributing after a promotion last year (2 pay periods before they killed the match due to COVID.) Wasted thousands of dollars and years in the market on a whole life insurance policy. It would be hard for me to be less investment-savvy, everything has been on autopilot in low risk mutual funds. And yet that still projects to fund a third of a decent retirement income stream. When I finally sat down and ran the numbers, I was so surprised that I posted in the retirement thread asking what I was missing.

The people writing "my inheritance," it may be true but it is still gross.
Yeah, my dad and FIL could potentially leave us something, and my aunt (no spouse or kids) that passed away last year apparently left me something too, but I can't bring myself to even consider any of that in my projections. My dad has a really nice tool chest and a Paul O'Neill home run ball that he caught at a game he and I went to, if that's all I get, I'll be happy.

bawjaws

Oct 28, 2017
If you don't take steps early for your retirement because you think you'll never be able to, well then... you won't be able to
True, but don't forget that there are plenty of people living paycheck to paycheck for whom even a 3% contribution to a retirement fund just isn't affordable. If it's a choice between locking that money away for retirement or needing it for today's bills then it's no choice at all really.

I do accept that there are people who could afford to save for retirement but don't, and that we need better education about retirement savings in general.

Desi

Oct 30, 2017
I have a 401k setup through my job. They match pretty good and I increase my % at least 2% a year. This automated way is the only way I could possibly save enough. If it was up to me I blow each check regardless of how much is in it.

Jul 26, 2018
Lol I don't even know what a 401K is or never bothered to look into mine (I don't know how to).

So far retiring is just a fantasy.

Sasliquid

Oct 25, 2017
It's simple, every year I bet on my sports steam (Tottenham) to disappoint me and use the winnings next year. Instant profit.

Orayn

Oct 25, 2017
I'm maxing out my company's 401k match and I have my own Roth IRA that I contribute to as well, but I'm expecting climate change to cause the total collapse of human civilization and make retirement a non-issue.

bionic77

Oct 25, 2017
Plan is ambitious. I HOPE to retire and have enough money to do so in my late 60s.

I should have my house paid off before 50 but then I have to pay for my kids college and I am sure they will need some other help before they get settled. Me and my wife can live pretty simply but all our retirement plans involve a lot of assumptions. Stable or increasing income, 401k growing consistently (mine has kind of lagged honestly), and savings in general.

touchfuzzy

Banned
Jul 27, 2019
I have three kids so hahahaha. I stopped contributing to RRSP this year so I could focus on credit card debt instead.

Oct 30, 2017
I opened a 401k through work with my first job out of college. Index funds and I contribute 3% which is the max my work will match, so it's 6%. I don't know what total amount I'm supposed to aim for but according to the site calculator, I'm status green for retirement

A big problem is my wife has nothing planned. As it stands, it might be my 401k for us both. If that's the case, we aren't going to have enough. She needs to get something started asap

Gunny T Highway

Unshakable Resolve - One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Canada
Even though I do have savings and some investments, I already have come to the conclusion, unless something in society drastically changes, I am going to be working till I die.

RPG_Fanatic

Oct 25, 2017
No specific plan about when I plan to retire. I am just saving what I can so when I reach my 60-70s I have enough saved up to retire.
Mostly maxing my RRSP. I have my one from my old job, a new one from my new job I recently started and one with my bank which I use as a end of year dump before filing my taxes. I like to keep some wiggle room in case I get a year where I end up owing money on my taxes. Max out my TFSA, and have an investment account. Also have my e-saving which acts as my emergency funds and temp storage for extra saving before being moved to other accounts.

Late Flag

alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Yep. I've been planning for retirement on a back-of-the-envelope basis since my mid-20s. I'm now 48 and I'm becoming more confident that I'll be able to retire very comfortably at age 56 if the market doesn't do anything crazy.

New Donker

One Winged Slayer
Oct 26, 2017
I should be able to retire in my early 60s if all goes as planned

Edit then I can have my dream job of watching other people's dogs for them. But only nice dogs. Sorry no mean ones

The Climaxan

Oct 27, 2017
NC-USA
This isn't a Whole Life policy, is it? At your age, Term is perfectly fine, and the extra you'd spend on the premiums for Whole is most likely better off going towards your retirement fund.

Definitely term life for that very reason. My goal by the end of the year is to start funneling a manageable portion my savings towards retirement. I just need to focus on building up a savings safety net right now given the conditions of the world around me. My job is secure for now but we all know how fast shit can change. Money on hand is more important to me that some imaginary future I can't even picture at the moment. I fully understand the benefits or retirement and how compound interest and all that. Just need to take care of other priorities this year.

Gpsych

May 20, 2019
My job has a pension (one of the few left in the U.S) so I'm looking at 79% of the average of my best 3 years at 62. Should have my house paid off by then (barely) and have no other debt to speak of. I'll probably still have to cut back on some stuff but it's a comfort knowing I'll have income.

Shadybiz

Oct 27, 2017
Definitely term life for that very reason. My goal by the end of the year is to start funneling a manageable portion my savings towards retirement. I just need to focus on building up a savings safety net right now given the conditions of the world around me. My job is secure for now but we all know how fast shit can change. Money on hand is more important to me that some imaginary future I can't even picture at the moment. I fully understand the benefits or retirement and how compound interest and all that. Just need to take care of other priorities this year.

Okay, gotcha. Yeah, term life is the way to go; I've seen too many younger people get suckered into Whole life.

Nov 18, 2020
I am just going to say this.

The people writing "my inheritance," it may be true but it is still gross.

Inheritance will be by far the largest transfer of wealth from the Baby Boomer generation to the Millennial generation. For many people in the USA, inheritance will be the only time they will get to fully own property and build equity.

When my grandfather---who was an apple farmer---passed away, he left his children little cash but he built multiple houses from scratch, including a compound on a beautiful lake upstate, which his children split up and sold in modern times for >$10 million in total.

That kind of wealth transfer gives everyone a leg-up in society and a chance to move up an income class. Sometimes it gets squandered, but it can also be properly leveraged to ensure subsequent generations don't have to worry about retirement. It serves a very important function in society.

PanickyFool

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
That kind of wealth transfer gives everyone a leg-up in society and a chance to move up an income class. Sometimes it gets squandered, but it can also be properly leveraged to ensure subsequent generations don't have to worry about retirement. It serves a very important function in society.
Yeah but, fuck the children. Death tax should be 50% to 100%. No one deserves a easy life based on the sperm lottery.

bawjaws

Oct 28, 2017
Everyone?

Martinski

Jan 15, 2019
Göteborg
Not had enough stable incomes enough to save anything basically. Had just bad luck over and over basically in my careers lol so will not have anything saved 90% likely.

Like last job I had was in the event industry and was very stable until my bad luck hit again this time a pandemic that shut down the whole event sector ... 🤷🏻‍♂️

My only bet would be to inherit my parents together with my 2 siblings. They have a lot of savings, stocks, house with a lot of value etc.

Radarscope1

Oct 29, 2017
I literally just got a new job, retirement hasn't even crossed my mind.
Well here's the thing - this is exactly the right time to think about it. Check out what kind of instruments are available through your company and absolutely do not go even one more pay period without setting up a match if your employer has one. It is quite literally free money.

zswordsman

Nov 5, 2017
I've been saving 15% of my paycheck into Thrift Savings Plan since I've joined the military. I have a pretty good chunk of change in it that'll hopefully grow pretty well throughout the years.

That plus depending on how shit goes, hopefully a military pension plus SS and TSP. I should hopefully be ok.

Fancy Clown

Oct 25, 2017
Assuming a 5-8% annual return I could have anywhere between 3 and 6 million by 65, not including my wife's assets. I don't have a number in mind but that range sounds like I'm on target.

Barrel_Roll

Self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 30, 2017
I'll be 63 by the time I qualify for the maximum NY civil service pension, so that's my number. I have some doubts that my current job will be around by then.

Mar 3, 2019
Yeah but, fuck the children. Death tax should be 50% to 100%. No one deserves a easy life based on the sperm lottery.

Thats a strange take. The parents worked hard for that money their entire life, they can decide who it goes to. You can still tax it as an income source, but to say such drastic and harsh measures like that is crazy. And thats coming from someone who told my parents to spend all their money while they are alive so they can enjoy it fully

Neo C.

Nov 9, 2017
Health cost in a later stage of life. Even with first-class health care plan, long-term illnesses like dementia will eat up your savings really fast. I just hope we can make more and quicker progress in rejuvenating medicine, it would reduce the need to save millions significantly.

Mr Jones

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I have no "plan".

I have about $130k in a 401k, with another 21k in a Roth, which gets about $7k added a year.. I have 6% of my paycheck going into a pension. I got a mortgage that will be paid off in 19 years. I'm hoping I'm well enough to work until I'm 60. I'm 45 now.