• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Type or Swype

• Type

Votes: 425 69.2%
  • Swype

Votes: 189 30.8%

• Total voters

Benzychenz

One Winged Slayer
Nov 1, 2017
Australia
I had never heard the term swype until this thread and I wish it had stayed that way.

I also attempted to swipe this post but the spelling errors made me lose more time than I gained.

Oct 30, 2017
i don't even use autocorrect so i definitely type with two thumbs whenever possible. but swiping is useful when i don't have two hands free

SigSig

Oct 26, 2017
I swipe three time trying to get it right, then type, then get fucked by auto correct, then type again

gblues

Oct 25, 2017
Tigard, OR
Apple's inbuilt swype most of the time. Just works a little better than all the third party implementations. It's annoying that it's not on the full size iPad keyboard, I always make the mistake of trying to use when I switch to my iPad.

Same, especially the part about the iPad's keyboard.

Also, I swear Apple's keyboard has gotten worse over the years. Part of me suspects that they are still using a heuristics model from the iphone 4 days, because if I dig out my old iphone 5, my typing accuracy goes way up.

Oct 28, 2017
swype but i feel stock swyping sucks balls compared to swyping back then when i used custom roms on my phones it just doesnt feel as smooth and intuitive as i got used to so i dont know if the swipe was tweaked too in the custom ROM

I use Samsung's keyboard with the Swype feature.

I miss the actual Swype keyboard. It was do damn good and I wish Microsoft would integrate that technology into Swiftkey since Microsoft owns Nuance now.

fuck is that why swiping feels less good than it did back then? it all makes sense now (around the kitkat era and up)

ZeroX

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Speed Force
Same, especially the part about the iPad's keyboard.

Also, I swear Apple's keyboard has gotten worse over the years. Part of me suspects that they are still using a heuristics model from the iphone 4 days, because if I dig out my old iphone 5, my typing accuracy goes way up.
Please tell me that's true because I'm not sure if Apple's keyboard is getting worse or I'm just getting old and bad at typing on mobile

The auto correct is completely busted at this point though, when I type my name it gets FULLY CAPITALIZED no matter what

Deleted member 27751

User-requested account closure
Banned
Oct 30, 2017
I try to swipe but it's extremely difficult with my brain wanting to accurately write out the word. I also have this placebo effect of feeing as if typing is faster than swiping, because of the motion input. Granted, when making mistakes and wanting to delete words it is easier to delete swiped ones.

As others have said though, the typing and swiping on iOS has become incredibly inaccurate with a range of misspelt words or suggestions. Is there any suggested keyboard that does a better job then Apple's built in keyboard? Granted I suck at typing on mobile phones anyway, just feels like it intentionally recognises the letter next to the one I selected.

Taurus Silver

Big ol' Nerd
Oct 29, 2017
I don't even understand how people swipe to text. Whenever I try it never types anything close to what I wanted to say.

ChrisD

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Occasionally I use the swipe function but generally it's so ingrained in me to just type. Swipe as main would probably be better for my fingers' joints though..

Shadow

One Winged Slayer
Oct 28, 2017
Swiping when it takes. Funnily, I can't get it to take swiping, it keeps putting selling instead. The rest is typed by swiping. Athough not without mistakes. Samsung keyboard here.

All swipe without corrections. It can be iffy:
Selling when it teaches. Funnily, I can't get it to take swing, it iris putting doing instead. The rest is typed by swiping, athough not without migrates. Samsung irises here.

myojinsoga

Oct 29, 2017
Been swiping since it was introduced. The extra effort of typing just seems absurd to me.

There are consistent mismatches with swiping though, where really common words are invariably misread as something obscure.

The most common for me is 'anything' ... I can get it if I'm very careful about it; but more often I end up with scurrying, abutting, or scything ... Like when the fuck do I ever use any of those ...

Last edited:

BLEEN

Oct 27, 2017
Swype type. It's objectively quicker. Only thing that finally won me over on non-tactile keyboards.

BLEEN

Oct 27, 2017
Type. I don't know what is a swype.
It's where your drag your thumb all around the phone's/tablet's keyboard per word, lift so the words input, rinse & repeat. It works like magic.

I imagine nearly all regular typers are on iOS as they were late as fuck to the game having zero way to swype type unless jailbroken (where it worked amazingly well.)

Gboard thankfully exists now on iOS if you wanted to try it and are on that platform.

Budi

Oct 25, 2017
Finland
It's where your drag your thumb all around the phone's/tablet's keyboard per word, lift so the words input, rinse & repeat. It works like magic.

I imagine nearly all regular typers are on iOS as they were late as fuck to the game having zero way to swype type unless jailbroken (where it worked amazingly well.)

Gboard thankfully exists now on iOS if you wanted to try it and are on that platform.
Had to look up a video for demonstration. I don't think it would work for me, my swipings would be way too inaccurate. Also since I'm typing in multiple languages, my auto-correct constantly messes up even the simplest of words. Curious to give this a go though, just to see how it works (or doesn't).

JimD

Aug 17, 2018
I'm usually a typer, but I'll occasionally swipe while using one hand. It's convenient but my brain just doesn't work that way for longer conversations. For some reason I slow down when trying to think of the movement needed to swipe instead of the actual word.

Menchi

Oct 28, 2017
UK
I gave it a go for this and it actually Wasn't too bad to do though in think that it was easier to type what in wanted I also don't know how to get punctuation. without typing again so possibly not the best also am If supposed to lift my finger after swiping the letters each time? But it isn't too bad overall

Jam

Oct 25, 2017
TIL: People actually swype.

Always just assumed it was one of those features that are there but no one actually uses. I should probably try it out.

BLEEN

Oct 27, 2017
Had to look up a video for demonstration. I don't think it would work for me, my swipings would be way too inaccurate. Also since I'm typing in multiple languages, my auto-correct constantly messes up even the simplest of words. Curious to give this a go though, just to see how it works (or doesn't).
The algorithm in the keyboard app figures it out for you. It also learns. Like I said, magic!

Multiple languages would likely be an issue but you can make your own dictionary to offload some.

I can swype pretty damn inaccurately and it still picks up the words I meant.