• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Will the National Dex controversy affect the final performance of Pokemon Sword/Shield to any degree

• Yes, the games will be among the lowest selling mainline games in the series as a result

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Yes, the games will sell fewer copies than they otherwise would have, but still in the same ballpark

Votes: 13 35.1%
  • No, the games will not be affected at all by this

Votes: 24 64.9%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Deleted member 4037

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
We recently had a poll about whether or not people on Era would be buying Pokemon Sword/Shield in consideration of the games excising the National Dex entirely. There's been a lot of uproar in the community about this decision; the Era poll seemed to indicate, however, that the bulk of the people here would be buying the games regardless.

62455754_476753193060882_3165943234241232896_n.png

That said, we all know Era is rarely, if ever, representative of the larger market. With that in mind, I wanted to pose the question to Era - do you think that the way the National Dex has been handled, and the ensuing community outrage, including all over social media, and a daily streal of angry YouTube videos, will affect the final sales performance of these games to any degree? Personally, it hasn't actually affected my intention to purchase the games, but as a lapsed buyer of the franchise, I don't have the same perspective that others who have been building up their collection over the generations will doubtless have.

I think this is an interesting watershed moment for the franchise with so many things coming together; Pokemon being a juggernaut of a franchise, the loss of it's key selling point of "catching them all", the massive success of the switch, and the transition into a full HD main series pokemon game. Does good sales set the course for pokemon in the future? Would the absense even make a difference when there are over 800 pokemon now? Perhaps future titles continue to add to what is available? What do you think will be the outcome and how it will effect pokemon going forward.

Deleted member 5491

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Nah. Pokémon is so mainstream, most don't know of this and buy Pokémon because it's Pokémon

Deleted member 2791

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
it very obviously won't affect anything
even those complaining will buy the games

the pic you chose is also misleading

NextSavePoint

May 29, 2019
I was planning on buying a copy of each and a second switch. Now I'm just going to get one copy and that's it.

Deleted member 51691

Banned
Jan 6, 2019
The internet is a vocal minority. Mainline Pokemon games can sell over 10 million units, and I doubt the number of people who actually won't buy SwSh because of Dexit will exceed 1 million. It'll barely be a blip in Pokemon's sales. Heck, with the Switch boost for many series, I wouldn't be surprised to see an exceptionally strong launch for the series despite the controversy.

Finale Fireworker

Love each other or die trying.
Oct 25, 2017
United States
We already have threads that focus on this topic and would like to limit the amount of additional dedicated topics. Please relocate this conversation to an existing thread if you wish.

Status
Not open for further replies.