• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Era, do you go back to play games that released before you were born?

• Yes

Votes: 289 26.1%
  • Yes - but not very often

Votes: 367 33.2%
  • No

Votes: 450 40.7%

• Total voters

Jetsun Mila

Apr 7, 2021
i legit understand people not liking a lot of C64/Atari2600 games, a lot of them were conversions of games from arcade/better hardware that didn't capture what made the basis special, but arcade games were pretty much always great imho. So many cool, genre-inventing or defining titles in arcades in the late 70s & the whole 80s.
That is true, I have the Atari Vault which also includes a handful of Arcade games and these are mostly great to play. At least later on we got some really good ones on the Atari2600, I really enjoy playing River Raid for example and it is still surprising how well Adventure holds up.

sir_crocodile

Oct 25, 2017
not many because I'm old enough that we're talking very basic pre-nes stuff.

I do still play NES stuff regularly though. I try to play Zelda 2 at least once a year as it's one of my fave games.

Ayirek

Oct 27, 2017
Both Super Mario Bros and The Legend of Zelda were released before I was born. Other than those two, there aren't many games I can think of that I play that are older than me. Matroid 1 by a couple months, but I prefer Zero Mission.

Ra

Rap Genius
Oct 27, 2017
Dark Space
Mod status revoked. Asteroids, Galaga, Combat, Monaco GP, Tempest, Frogger, and many others still kick ass.
I wasn't being serious lmao. I was there, played the hell out of all of those games. I was crazy good at Asteroids.

Fuck Q*bert though, that's the one game I just couldn't get as a kid and it frustrated the hell out of me.

listerine

Jul 6, 2021
You've never played Super Mario Bros or Pac-Man?
The question isn't have you ever played a game released before you were born, it's do you go back and play games released before you were born. So no, in 2022 I am not playing through Super Mario Bros or Pac Man unless I'm at a dedicated barcade waiting for the TMNT arcade cabinet to become available. I find it hard to go back and play games released before the GCN/PS2/XB gen because that's what I grew up with as a teen.

Daysean

Nov 15, 2017
sorry boss i aint touching SHIT pre Genesis/SNES
fucking hate the NES, no i do not want to endure intentionally bullshit programming (in regards to difficulty) due to time constraints/extended play time

also if anyone is reading this play Xenogears NOW
You already played it? go read Perfect Works NOW

Last edited:
Apr 6, 2022
I feel like RPGs and other story based games are a lot easier to go back to for me. Other genres have evolved so much, that it's harder to go back without a story to keep me hooked.

NickatNite

Oct 27, 2017
California
Born in October of 89; Tetris for the GameBoy is one of my favorite games, and I play regularly.

Honestly theres only a small handful of games before my birth I would go back and actively play.

GamerJM

Nov 8, 2017
I was born in 94, so there's a lot of good stuff from before I was born. I've recently played the first five Dragon Quest games, which were all made then, for example. FF6 was also released in Japan a few weeks after I was born and that was one of the last games I played.

elbageluno

Alt Account
Banned
Feb 4, 2022
Not in some cases like Mother 1 and it's final area, Mount Itoi
DIdnt mean to imply it was the case for all NES games, but it definitely was a factor for some/a thing in general
"fucking hate the NES" is defintely painting things with a broad brush. Of course there were bullshit design decisions on NES but again to label them all that way is disingenuous. Something like Mega Man 2 puts that to bed.

Daysean

Nov 15, 2017
"fucking hate the NES" is defintely painting things with a broad brush. Of course there were bullshit design decisions on NES but again to label them all that way is disingenuous. Something like Mega Man 2 puts that to bed.
Was more of a Mega Man X person due to the mobility with the inclusion of dashes, but I know that the Mega Man games are solid, but that movement speed/platforming is too jank for me personally, and yeah ill give you that, way too broad of a statement

Trycon

Banned
Apr 27, 2022
Some of the best games came out before 98 so yeah...

Doom, Quake, Final Fantasy 7, and countless others. Emulators have been a godsend to play older games.

Hobbun

Oct 27, 2017
Yes I play pong often! Lol no.

Yep, this is pretty much what I would be relegated to, as well.

And I can't remember the last time I played Pong.

Edit: Actually, I guess Pong released after I was born. Says November 1972.

But Oregon Trail released in '71, so I played that, but can't remember how long it's been since I've played the computer game. Does the card game count? :)

Last edited:

DJ_Lae

Oct 27, 2017
Edmonton
There aren't many games that were released before I was born.

I guess Pac-Man, Space Invaders, and Donkey Kong (barely) are ones that I will play occasionally.

I have a very hard time playing home console games of the time, though. Atari 2600 stuff is just too rough.

Flygon

Oct 28, 2017
I popped around in the early 90s, but grew up with a Master System and Mega Drive, and revisit those games often so.

Yes.

arglebargle

Oct 26, 2017
i am 40, so even though i play a lot of older games, there isnt that much i would go back to that is older than i am. i have played some pac-man, galaga, galaxian, and donkey kong but there isnt much that is that old that i feel compelled to spend much time with.

Alent

Oct 28, 2017
I do, but i can't go back further than the SNES. Games feel to antiquated beyond that point.

Sabercrusader

Oct 27, 2017
Yeah but mostly the mainstream ones like Super Mario World and such. Most games I'm interested in came out around my birth year or later.

Fatoy

Mar 13, 2019
No. There weren't that many memorable games released before I was born, to be honest.

Darkknight2149

Ban made permanent due to harassment of staff
Banned
May 27, 2020
Definitely, there's a goldmine there. As a child, I was obsessed with Pac-Man, Sonic, Metroid, Zelda, and Mario, which were before my time. Even today, I play plenty of games from the 1980s and early 1990s that were from before I was born.

Mekanos

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 17, 2018
Two games in my top ten came out before I was born so yeah. Not super frequently, i was literally born the same year as the SNES, but still plenty of NES games that are definitely worth playing.

jonamok

Oct 28, 2017
Nope. Nothing for me to play in this scenario bar Spacewar! And that's kinda hard to find.

shadowman16

Oct 25, 2017
Im old, so very few games were released before me. But yeah, I still play Pac Man, Space Invaders and Donkey Kong.

calder

Oct 25, 2017
I don't think there are any home video games that were made before I was born. Nothing that was ever released commercially anyway, only the first arcade games predate me lol.

DRock

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Pac-Man is probably the oldest game I still randomly play and that released a month after I was born...

Serule

Oct 25, 2017
i legit understand people not liking a lot of C64/Atari2600 games, a lot of them were conversions of games from arcade/better hardware that didn't capture what made the basis special

C64 is radically different from the Atari 2600. Sure it had arcade conversions but it also had many genres not possible on console at the time. RPGs in particular - Ultima 1/2/3, The Bard's Tale Trilogy, the SSI Gold Box Dungeons and Dragons titles.

Edit: graphically the C64 is pretty close to the NES in resolution and color depth, with the major major caveat it couldn't easily do smooth scrolling.

Oct 25, 2017
Born in 1983. I can get down with Donkey Kong, Asteroids, Centipede and a little Frogger and Pac-Man, but not much else is interesting.

Mostly play stuff from the late 80s to early 2000s these days, but happy to try new stuff if it doesn't drive me nuts with tutorials and cutscenes.

Merton

Oct 25, 2017
Born in 1983. I can get down with Donkey Kong, Asteroids, Centipede and a little Frogger and Pac-Man, but not much else is interesting.

Mostly play stuff from the late 80s to early 2000s these days, but happy to try new stuff if it doesn't drive me nuts with tutorials and cutscenes.
Exact same boat! The problem being born in this year is the video games prior to were just not really interesting to keep going back to, at the time before 83 they were probably mind blowing. I do enjoy some C64 games still though, The Goonies, California Raisins, Bruce Lee, Toy Bizarre, so it's not all boring, but I'm not gonna play original Pong regularly.