• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Era, do you go back to play games that released before you were born?

• Yes

Votes: 289 26.1%
  • Yes - but not very often

Votes: 367 33.2%
  • No

Votes: 450 40.7%

• Total voters

refusi0n1

Oct 27, 2017
i was there pretty much at the start so nah. on a side note, im amused how some of us are the equivalent of being born in the 50's if we were reading these in the 90s on newsgroups, prodigy, and/or aol

Skytylz

Oct 25, 2017
I go back to NES/SNES era games and some arcade games from the 80s mostly, but I don't really enjoy earlier games like Atari 2600, I played it some when I was a kid because my dad had one, but my ears have bled enough for one life time.

Ra

Rap Genius
Oct 27, 2017
Dark Space
Games were awful before '82, so no it's not happening. Well Zaxxon was cool but I played that on cassette.

I can't imagine being born in like... 2000 or later; you'd have never be able to catch up on the best games that have been made. It'd be like digging for treasure in sand made of gold.

elbageluno

Alt Account
Banned
Feb 4, 2022
Awesome for it's place in history. Still don't care about any of the games.
Not being interested is one thing, but saying "there are no good games released before I was born" is just hilariously reductive. I have no interest in playing 2600 or Colecovision games, but I'm not gonna say "every game released during this time is bad."

Schwarzbier

Nov 14, 2017
New Jersey
No.

I've played pong... that was released before I was born. I can name a few more of them I've played, but 99.99X% of commercial video games were released after I was born.

andymcc

Oct 25, 2017
Columbus, OH
Not being interested is one thing, but saying "there are no good games released before I was born" is just hilariously reductive. I have no interest in playing 2600 or Colecovision games, but I'm not gonna say "every game released during this time is bad."

can you imagine someone spewing garbage like that on a forum dedicated to films or music?

Games were awful before '82, so no it's not happening. Well Zaxxon was cool but I played that on cassette.

there are loads of good games before 82.

Nax

Hero of Bowerstone
Oct 10, 2018
Stuff before 91? Yes, absolutely. Absolute treasure trove of stuff there.

Deleted member 9241

Oct 26, 2017
Well, I have been playing video games since the Odessey, so that is not possible for me!

However, I do indeed play more retro games the older I get. Although anything pre-NES is a rarity, arcade games excluded of course. I fucking love the 8-16bit era with all my gaming heart.

Dan-o

Oct 25, 2017
Sure, I play Tetris from time to t--
Wait... Tetris was created in '84? Not the '70s??
Fuck...
Fuck.

OneTrueJack

Aug 30, 2020
Not really, but sometimes. I recently played Final Fantasy VII (and watched Advent Children) so I could be fully prepared for the rest of the Remake saga.

Vault Boy

Nov 2, 2017
There aren't many games that were released before I was born. And they don't have achievements or trophies, so nah.

Deleted member 51848

Jan 10, 2019
No because I am old and have been here since the dawn of time (or 1976 depending on how you look at it)

Lkr

Oct 28, 2017
definitely played them but at this point its not something I'm seeking out unless its related to a series I already play.
for example, super mario world was first mario game I played and it released before I was born…but i've played 1-3 on nes, snes and handheld over the years despite being released before I was born. so…yeah

but am I gonna go find a NES game and give it a go in 2022? not likely, the backlog is too bloated as is

Nakenorm

The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017
Yes. Been a long time since I did though. During my teenage years I used to play just as much new games as old ones. At this point I've probably played most titles that I'm interested in going back to.

jroc74

Oct 27, 2017
This thread is a honey pot to get ppl to tell their age.

Nope, ain't gonna do it.

Oct 29, 2017
or some Dungeons & Dragons: Cloudy Mountain
add-cloudy-mountain-intellivision-19.png

I was going to say this may be one of the few games I'd pick in answer to this question, then I looked up the release date... 1982 (I was born in 1981).

Stath

Saw the truth behind the copied door
Mar 4, 2022
Most NES games and many classic arcade games were before my time, so of course.

ghibli99

Oct 27, 2017
You'd be surprised how little some people care about media stuff older than them. Music and films hold up much better than older video games.
I also think it tends to be reflective of age. When I was young (in the 80s/90s), I didn't care that much about stuff that came before, even from the decade I was born in (the 70s), but as I got older and my worldview and thirst for/about knowledge and history changed, so did my appreciation for things that were older. Had I not, I would never have discovered or had an open mind about the brilliance of Buster Keaton, The Beatles, Shakespeare, etc.

Deleted member 17210

User-requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017

Jedi2016

Oct 27, 2017
There really aren't any.. lol.

Maybe Pong, technically, but I think the home version we had was made after I was born.

Dogui

Oct 28, 2017
Brazil
Was born in 91, but i got a Nes most of my childhood, and had a blast with a lot of 80s stuff.

Finished the 3 Nes Castlevanias last year for the first time. Also, finished recently Dragon Quest I and the first Legend of Heroes.

Oct 27, 2017
If anyone is interested in checking out old mainframe games, there's an emulated PLATO network. It requires signing up but it's really cool for those into early gaming history.

The first thread I made here was on '70s games. It looks like half the people that posted in it are banned now.
That's very cool
I definitely played the Star Trek one mentioned in the first wiki page, was super hard but I enjoyed it. I think it was just text space battles

Jetsun Mila

Apr 7, 2021
There really aren't any.. lol.

Maybe Pong, technically, but I think the home version we had was made after I was born.
17387-m.webp

I was born in the late 80s, and I'm a big fan of some of the NES games, so yes. I even think that the NES is a better console than the SNES.
I also played some C64 and Atari2600 games, but they are rarely interesting.

andymcc

Oct 25, 2017
Columbus, OH
17387-m.webp

I was born in the late 80s, and I'm a big fan of some of the NES games, so yes. I even think that the NES is a better console than the SNES.
I also played some C64 and Atari2600 games, but they are rarely interesting.

i legit understand people not liking a lot of C64/Atari2600 games, a lot of them were conversions of games from arcade/better hardware that didn't capture what made the basis special, but arcade games were pretty much always great imho. So many cool, genre-inventing or defining titles in arcades in the late 70s & the whole 80s.

DirtyLarry

Oct 27, 2017
Being one of the damn near senior citizens of Era, no need as fortunately my life damn near coincides with the advent and rise of this little hobby of ours.
No doubt there were games released prior to my birth in 1974, but they were not being played nor consumed by the public at large.

YellowBara

Oct 26, 2017
Sure. Super Mario World is one of my favourite games and that was two years before I was born.

Same. I like to go back and try even older stuff for the sake of it too, always have.

I remember first trying a lot of stuff through the Wii VC and ended up enjoying a lot of NES titles I never would have gotten to play otherwise like Kid Icarus and Startropics.

mopinks

Oct 27, 2017
"genre-defining games" and "games I would want to go back and play today" are definitely two different categories without a ton of overlap

Small Red Boy

▲ Legend ▲
May 9, 2019
I'm young enough to have a lot of games that are great and classics be released before I was born. So yeah.

Atolm

Oct 25, 2017
Born in '86, I don't find games pre-8bit consoles that interesting, not even most arcades, so no.