• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Gamer Aesthetics

• Yes

Votes: 93 6.7%
  • No

Votes: 1,289 93.3%

• Total voters

WarAdept

Oct 25, 2017
Australia
z32nOQ2l.jpg

And for good reason

Tavernade

Tavernade
Sep 18, 2018
I'm well aware there are Grey joycons, you can stop @ing me about that. It's my friends' Switches, so take it up with them.

However, the default Switch that is used in marketing and that the majority of people most likely have is the red/blue one. Just like there's Spider-Man red PS4s and Master Chief green Xboxes or whatever the fuck, but the color that's most associated with PS4 is black and the color most associated with Xbox One is white

You complained that the Switch's design reinforced gaming being for kids even though you knew that one of the two main SKUs was the exact color you said you'd prefer. What even is your argument? The black Switch is one of the two main SKUs, it isn't at all like the PS4/Xbone special editions.

Razorrin

Nov 7, 2017
the HELP Menu.
Obviously not, why do we have to have this thread be so obviously garish and terrible.

Like, people like to wear cute tees and lightly Game inspired clothing, but nobody responding to a thread asking if a "Many Lives" shirt is their jam would respond with a "yup, as a gamer, I certainly do!"

Can we ever have a thread about game inspired clothes, or better yet, Character Design centric outfits, that isn't just stupid garbage?

I personally love the idea of finding various nice pieces to put together an outfit that wouldn't look bad in a game, but still looks stylish in real life. There are tons of game character designs that would look rad casually, and I think that's a neat idea for a discussion.

Won't stop people from deflecting and derailing it to talk about the same damn things, but sometimes you can't help that.

Nessii013

May 31, 2019
90% no, 10% yes, most of it is really obnoxious, but I enjoy the clean sharp aesthetic of some keyboards (they keyboard you posted without RGB for example, or the Xbox Elite Controller)

Sanctuary

Oct 27, 2017
Fuck no. I'm minimalistic as possible. My PC cases are all matte black too, and I even dislike the bright cylon eye of the PS4 so much that I covered that up too.

Oct 29, 2017
I wish the Apple and new Microsoft industrial design was standard for towers. The new Mac Pro is hot. It's everything PC tower gaming should be. Expandable, accessible and practical. That bad boy can stay cool all the time.

Instead of that, we have RGB and transparent cases that show off 15 different components created by the same philosophy, which makes them more disgusting when you put them near each other. It is paradoxically stupid.

Razer actually has nice design. Their logo is still a mess and that green is just a sore now (MS made the right choice distancing themselves in the hardware), they still make nice products. Although I wish they lost the rainbow RGB and limited it to solid colors. They would prevent most of humanity developing serious eye-related illnesses.

Oct 27, 2017
It looks stupid, and I'll be honest I assume you're a fucking child if you have everything RGB. I don't even like side windows on PCs.

Now I do want backlighting on my keyboard, but I want white backlight which means I generally do have to have some sort of RGB keyboard.

CloseTalker

Oct 25, 2017
Every time I see someone with one of those gamer chairs in their home, I freely admit to judging them more than a little bit.

Dec 31, 2017
Every time I see someone with one of those gamer chairs in their home, I freely admit to judging them more than a little bit.
I had my doubts until I got one for my wife, and I'm now sold on it. They don't all look gamery either, it's possible to get them in standard colors and they are super comfortable. After having tried some non Gamer options like the ikea desk chairs for example that a lot of people seem to suggest and having some decent office chairs at work as well, I can honestly say that I much prefer my wife's Secret Lab chair to any of those.

NDA-Man

Mar 23, 2020
In general... not really. I tend to prefer solid-color shirts without designs or text (despite this I often get meme-y tees as gifts. Don't wear them often). Like... I've had a few "gamer" shirts I wore with regularity when I was younger along with ones with snarky slogans (high school/college age, a decade and a half ago), but even then they were pretty minimalist (like a black tee with pacman and two ghosts across the chest, no text--I actually would buy another one like it if I could find it).

I have some nerdy mugs at home, but usually film posters and stuff (Kinda want a mug with the umbrella logo, though). Like.. the nerdiest thing I have outside of my house is I use the Metal Gear Solid codec bleep as a ringtone, and in that case, it only advertises me as a gamer to people who recognize that particular game.

Aaron D.

Oct 25, 2017
iGcUas7.jpg

Sometimes it's just a manner of subtlety and execution.

I'm too old for wearable gamer gear or posters.

But a random high-quality drink coaster hear and there? Sure, why not?

endlessflood

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Australia (GMT+10)
I don't understand why taking a racing seat back and putting it on casters makes any sense as a gamer chair. Do you experience a lot of lateral g-forces when gaming, and need the kidney support to stop you sliding on the seat?

Also, not to put too fine of a point on it, but there is no way one of those gamer chairs is comfortable if you're overweight, because you won't fit inside the kidney support.

GamePnoy74

Oct 27, 2017
I don't really have stuff like that on my PC but when I recently built gaming rigs for my niece and nephew (they're in their early years of high school) their motherboards, RAM, fans, GPUs, keyboards, and mice have LEDs and their cases have windows to show it off. They like it, but they're kids so it's all good.

MaverickHunterAsh

Good Vibes Gaming
Verified
Oct 24, 2017
Los Angeles, CA.
I love colorful LEDs and such, but I don't see that as "gamer aesthetic" so much as electronic dance music/trance aesthetic, and both my wife and I are into that scene. So yeah, the more colors the better for me.

We use them in a decorative sense though, not as part of any PC equipment we have (we're both console gamers anyway).

Clothes like the example in the first post though, no thanks. Gross.

Ploid 6.0

Oct 25, 2017
Nah, "gamer" aesthetics are just marketing, ways to sell a gamer, or grandma things that should cost a bit less. There's little reason to have your keyboards, monitor, mice, etc. lit up like a christmas tree. I can see trying to theme out a room with light strips, that can be a nice touch, and good for safety when walking around the house at night. My backyard gazebo have solar light bulb strips that are blue and clear. Having Corsair, Republic of Gamers, type logos glowing for no reason gets to be a bit much.

TheMadTitan

Oct 27, 2017
I like RGB because of hotrods and the fact that I'm from Vegas, not because it's gamery. I just like color. Those shirts and hoodies like the ones in the OP are trash, though.

Owlet

Owl Enthusiast
Verified
May 30, 2018
London, UK
I like the RGB stuff due to the customization, but other than that its not really my thing.

If I really enjoy a certain game then I'll invest in merch for that specific thing.

ChrisD

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Heavens no, lol.

Like, I own a number of gaming related T-Shirts, but the strobe lights, the "you look like just the right amount of XP" type garbage naaaaah man.

E: not even strobe lights, but like the uh, the Razer type stuff. Where it's just like CHECK IT WE'RE NEON ISN'T THAT TIGHT FELLOW GAMERS. We had one for the desktop a few years back because it was on a real good sale when our mouse went kaput, and I always kept it off.

Alek

Games User Researcher
Verified
Oct 28, 2017
Broadly speaking, I hate it. But I really like glowing shit, things with LEDS. Transparent controllers where you can see the circuit board inside.

Lunaray

Oct 27, 2017
RGB is the worst trend to have ever hit gaming. I don't understand RGB keyboards, backlights, etc at all; they are so distracting.

karmitt

Oct 27, 2017
Obnoxious detailing and neon coloring everywhere? loud proclamations about the hobby? I despise them. I don't mind some gaming related attire - e.g. Uniqlo had some good simple Ts which could easily be part of smart casual. I have like 3-4 from their Nintendo collection some time back, the fabric is a bit over worn now tho.

Tambini

Oct 25, 2017
I used eletrical tape to cover up this orange light on my mouse, its so fucking bright it lights up the whole room in the dark and it constantly flashes. Like wtf

There was nothing in the product description about that light before I bought it dammit