• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Are you?

• Yes

Votes: 51 9.4%
  • No

Votes: 138 25.6%
  • Maybe

Votes: 23 4.3%
  • Already did

Votes: 328 60.7%

• Total voters

Airegin

Dec 10, 2017
If you got a flu shot and you still get the flu, symptoms will be less severe. I don't ever want to experience full blown flu again. I also don't want to make my grandparents and elderly customers sick.

DeltaRed

Apr 27, 2018
They give it for free to everyone where I work so no reason not to.

Also those giving it the tough guy attitude because they never get the flu and don''t need it. jesus. Actually pathetic..

Last edited:

Mesoian

â–˛ Legend â–˛
Oct 28, 2017
Alright got mine.

It would be rude of me to go to something like Magfest without getting one.

real2

Jan 31, 2019
Got mine a couple of months ago. The out of pocket price needs to be lower though (I used to work in a retail pharmacy and the pharmacy makes something ridiculous like 150-200+% profit for each shot they give which is why they push it so hard).

iapetus

Oct 26, 2017
Worth pointing out that the herd immunity argument just doesn't work in countries where it isn't mandatory or at least commonly accepted as a good thing. In the UK it isn't going to make a difference to herd immunity if I choose to go against NHS advice and get vaccinated. Only thing that'll make a difference over a period of time is to change that advice.

Cymbal Head

Oct 25, 2017
Yep. Got mine a little late this year but still in October.

Got the shot. Got the flu

How soon did you get sick after the shot? The vaccine takes a few weeks to take effect, so it's possible you already had the flu, or -- and this is usually what it means when people say this -- you got a flu-like infection that wasn't actually influenza.

Sanguine

Jun 10, 2018
Hell no, the only times that I've ever gotten the flu was when I got the damn shot. I was just fine without it, but decided to do because I was pressured to do it for the "greater good"/ herd immunity. Maybe it was just bad luck for me or coincidence, but I'm like 3/3 for getting flu shot and getting the flu. I hate those odds and I hate the flu so I'm not getting another flu shot when I've been perfectly fine without it - herd immunity be damned.

note: it's just the flu shot I have issues with. I've gotten all other types of shots with no issues.

Min

Oct 25, 2017
Slader told me he lied about getting his shot this year and last year, but he wanted to look cool.

Futureman

Oct 26, 2017
My local grocery store gave me $5 on my Advantage card for getting a flu shot (free with my insurance). So I got a free premium ice cream sandwich.

There's probably a deal like that in your area. Get it you dopes.

WedgeX

Oct 27, 2017
Hell no, the only times that I've ever gotten the flu was when I got the damn shot. I was just fine without it, but decided to do because I was pressured to do it for the "greater good"/ herd immunity. Maybe it was just bad luck for me or coincidence, but I'm like 3/3 for getting flu shot and getting the flu. I hate those odds and I hate the flu so I'm not getting another flu shot when I've been perfectly fine without it - herd immunity be damned.

note: it's just the flu shot I have issues with. I've gotten all other types of shots with no issues.

You cannot get the flu from the influenza vaccine.

Can a flu vaccine give you the flu?
No, flu vaccines cannot cause flu illness. Flu vaccines given with a needle (i.e., flu shots) are currently made in two ways: the vaccine is made either with a) flu viruses that have been 'inactivated' (killed) and that therefore are not infectious, or b) using only a single gene from a flu virus (as opposed to the full virus) in order to produce an immune response without causing infection. This is the case for recombinant influenza vaccines.

Titik

Oct 25, 2017

Are you sure that they are actual flus and not just a really bad cold?

Because the cold and the flu might present the same symptoms but the only difference is severity. You'll know you got the flu once you got it once before. And odds are that those are just colds and you just remembered them because of confirmation bias.

Goat Mimicry

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I was an idiot and forgot to get the shot when I had the chance, and now I have the flu. This really fucking sucks and I feel like death, get your flu shots people.

Edit: Wasn't actually the flu. Still, I am an idiot all the same.

Last edited:

tsakiki

Oct 27, 2017
I get my flu shot every year, ever since having the flu about 25 years ago. I never want to be that sick again. It's free here (Ontario), and my husband and I get our shots at the grocery store's pharmacy. Takes a minute and then we do our shopping. It also helps protect our elderly parents, and other people we come in contact with.

Aranjah

Oct 27, 2017
I finally got mine just today after work. It's only the second or third time I've ever gotten one but I'm trying to get better about that.

Leviathan

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Maybe it is less egregious in some other countries and I should not be surprised by the number of people who said no, but it is still disappointing, to say the least.

You can call yourselves "lazy", or healthy for "37 years", or whatever, but you are functionally the same as anti-vaxxers and just as stupid.

ShadowAUS

Feb 20, 2019
Australia
the money and time aren't worth it when I'm not the one who gets sick.
You realise that flu can be deadly right? In Australia alone there have been at least 316 lab confirmed deaths (the vast majority of which are adults over the age of 65) directly from influenza this year alone, which doesn't even take into account deaths from pneumonia which is commonly caused by influenza (not to mention deaths that haven't been lab confirmed which is quite a bit higher). Hell the flu and pneumonia were the eighth leading cause of death in the United States in 2016. If you are ever around children or people over the age of 65 during flu season (not even mentioning people who are immunocompromised) your selfishness is actively putting them in more danger by not getting vaccinated. If you're going to be selfish, please, as someone who has multiple family members going through cancer treatment, stay away from anyone on this list during flu season.
  • children aged 6 months to <5 years
  • adults aged ≥65 years
  • immunocompromising conditions, such as HIV, malignancy, functional or anatomical asplenia, and chronic steroid use
  • receiving immuno-oncology therapy
  • received a haematopoietic stem cell or solid organ transplant
  • cardiac disease
  • Down syndrome
  • obesity
  • chronic respiratory conditions
  • chronic neurologic conditions
  • chronic liver disease
  • other chronic illnesses that need medical follow-up or hospitalisation
  • long-term aspirin therapy in children (aged 6 months to 10 years)
  • preterm infants (<37 weeks gestation)

THEVOID

Prophet of Regret
Oct 27, 2017
Interesting. Never got one in my entire life and very rarely get the flu, but this thread is convincing me. It's not that I'm against the shot but never bothered with it because I'm so rarely sick. Hmmmm...

Kewlmyc

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Already did, but not because I wanted to. I had to do it for HIPAA reasons when going onsite to do an install at a hospital.

Xita

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Already did, but it's required by my job, so I didn't want to.

Honestly I feel like every year I get the flu shot I get sicker than usual.

GrimJawz

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Canada
User Banned (Permanent): Trolling over multiple posts, history of severe infractions
You realise that flu can be deadly right? In Australia alone there have been at least 316 lab confirmed deaths (the vast majority of which are adults over the age of 65) directly from influenza this year alone, which doesn't even take into account deaths from pneumonia which is commonly caused by influenza (not to mention deaths that haven't been lab confirmed which is quite a bit higher). Hell the flu and pneumonia were the eighth leading cause of death in the United States in 2016. If you are ever around children or people over the age of 65 during flu season (not even mentioning people who are immunocompromised) your selfishness is actively putting them in more danger by not getting vaccinated. If you're going to be selfish, please, as someone who has multiple family members going through cancer treatment, stay away from anyone on this list during flu season.
was that wall of text suppose to convince me of something?

Ehoavash

One Winged Slayer
Oct 28, 2017
Welp I got the flu this week.

Been sick for 5 days into day 6 feel a little better but everything taste like shit

Body felt like shit, had the worst headaches ever was a mess this entire week

Didn't even see this thread until today..get your fly shots y'all