• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Aranjah

Oct 27, 2017
I'm very much a pushover. I care way too much about what people think about me.
I would like to be able to not care, or care less, but I'm not sure how.

"Just simply don't care instead of caring," doesn't work. I'll Just 'simply' not care as soon as I'm done 'simply' drawing the rest of the owl.

That said, holy shit at that coworker/boss money situation. That's definitely a "just 'simply' get out of that situation" situation right there. /helping

Kino

Oct 25, 2017
I too am a pushover though mainly when it comes to family. I hate myself for it too and wish I could just stand up for myself.

Mar 30, 2019
Oh, I guess I should have been more clear. Sometimes people use "slow thinker" as an insult meaning unintelligent. I meant it in the cognitive science sense which is what you're talking about. (Like the work by Daniel Kahneman, "Thinking, Fast and Slow.")

I agree that it's a good thing, but I know it frustrates people sometimes.

Ah, gotcha. I had a feeling I was overstepping, but thought it was a good idea to post general advice aimed at not just you. Thanks for the book source, will read.

Deleted member 18360

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I can be a pushover sometimes, but generally I'd say that if I detect any entitlement or expectation that I'll capitulate, I feel compelled to shut it down really fast.

Deleted member 12379

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I haven't said no to her, because usually she only asks me to buy small things ($20 here and their for snacks while at work since she doesn't have a credit card) and usually she will cashapp me the money right away. It's only recently shes been starting to ask for more money and i don't want to give her the idea i want this to be a regular thing. :/

I mean if this was me I'd just nip that shit in the bud now, but looking at the situation she'd probably find a way to get you fired. Are you ready for that? If you want to try a more gentle approach can you just say something like "ah I'm light today" or "i forgot my wallet today" just to see how she responds (this is still crazy to me). You'll know right away what her intentions are.

Regardless I'd be looking for a new job. You can report this and go that route but tbh homie you don't sound cut out for that battle.

Saw the "friends" edit: I dont think they see this relationship the same way you do. None of my friends would treat me this way and use me like a piggy bank. Those people are not your friends.

Mulciber

Aug 22, 2018
Ah, gotcha. I had a feeling I was overstepping, but thought it was a good idea to post general advice aimed at not just you. Thanks for the book source, will read.
The guy that wrote it won a Noble Prize for his work, so I wouldn't feel confident telling you if he's got all his facts right. He probably knows what he's talking about.

Of course, I need to think about that a bit more... ;)

AliceAmber

Drive-in Mutant
Administrator
May 2, 2018
If my boss asked me for money I'd just laugh.

And please put your foot down after you say no. These sound like toxic people.

SoundLad

Oct 30, 2017
Well it's my bosses fiance who is my team lead so she's over me. Lately she's been asking me to help her with her probation officer fees so that her fiance doesn't figure it out. Lately she's been good about it, but i'm affraid in the future she's to ask me for larger amounts of money and i just don't feel comfortable giving away anything more than $100 due to my past. :/
Jesus Christ

I can't believe this.

pezzie

Oct 27, 2017
I made the mistake of loaning a coworker $500 when I was in my early 20s. Could have gone worse, he did eventually pay me back but it took longer than expected. Put me in a real tough spot for a few months.

Since then I haven't had a problem saying no.

SaintBowWow

Oct 25, 2017
Yes in the past i practically helped fund my ex crushes college and we ended our friendship after i asked her to pay me back at east some of the money when she graduated. Her and her friends blocked me and i hated myself for being such a fucking moron. I always tell myself never again, but its hard when people push you non stop.

The boss' fiancé's parole funding is one thing, but you've paid college tuition for a crush? Learn to say 'no' and to respect yourself.

Aurica

音楽オタク - Comics Council 2020
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
A mountain in the US
I'm argumentative and call people out on shit I think is wrong. That's not always great, and it actually makes me feel uncomfortable. Stronger than that discomfort, I feel a strong urge to stand up for things I think are right. I've called out my bosses at my jobs, and it actually only ends up being positive.

I've denied requests for money from people I don't trust... but they've never been coworkers. I would definitely say no unless we were friends. Just, "Sorry, but I'm not in a financial situation to be lending money," or stop carrying cash.

Bear

Oct 25, 2017
Say no and move on with your life.

If she persists, tell your boss what she's using the money for.

dark_prinny

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
No. Such as simple yet difficult word to be said in the right moment. Will save you a lot of time, money and trouble.

Rosebud

Two Pieces
Apr 16, 2018
I haven't said no to her, because usually she only asks me to buy small things ($20 here and their for snacks while at work since she doesn't have a credit card) and usually she will cashapp me the money right away. It's only recently shes been starting to ask for more money and i don't want to give her the idea i want this to be a regular thing. :/ I'm good friends with both of them so i don't want to hurt feelings.

She pays you back so not that bad, I thought it was worse.

But just keep saying "I forgot my wallet" until she gives up.

Temascos

Oct 27, 2017
I'm generally a mix of Pushover and non-pushover. I guess I have a look about me that means that people will keep asking me for stuff but I don't give out money but I avoid that. But if I'm asked about something else, like say a work situation, I will do what they are asking without considering my tasks. I feel inferior to others and I guess people notice that.

Baphomet

Dec 8, 2018
I lent my friend money , never lend money to friends , ever , he didn't pay me back and I haven't done him a favor since.

Numb

Oct 25, 2017
Only with fam. Sis just asked for some and i walked in the rain to bring it
Everybody else can eat it

GMT Master

Oct 3, 2019
I don't want to sound overly harsh OP, but these people are not your friends and they are simply using you.

Separate yourself as much as possible.

If you can't say no, then make up some excuse about some family issue. If they aren't complete monsters they will stop asking you for money if they think you have to save money for family reasons.

Deleted member 984

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Ask for the money back immediately don't let this go any further. Make them never want to ask you for money again.

And next time they ask say no. You don't have to say anything else. If you have problem with saying no for whatever reason start practicing.

Deleted member 8561

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Well it's my bosses fiance who is my team lead so she's over me. Lately she's been asking me to help her with her probation officer fees so that her fiance doesn't figure it out. Lately she's been good about it, but i'm affraid in the future she's to ask me for larger amounts of money and i just don't feel comfortable giving away anything more than $100 due to my past. :/

why

why why why why why

____

Oct 27, 2017
Miami, FL
Say "Sorry, but I can't" but don't be actually sorry about it.

I just did this to 2 people this week. Not sure why they're even comfortable asking me for money in the first place tbh.

Quiksaver

Oct 26, 2017
There are a lot of things that aren't your problem here
Legal ERA would this be considered extortion?

Threadkular

Dec 29, 2017
Yes. I tend to use the term people pleaser.

I am working on changing it. It served me well growing up but now as an adult it's really been a struggle, particularly in my marriage.

Aug 26, 2019
Not really, but it's not serious yet. I just want to make sure it doesn't get to that point though.
OP, I'm sure you're a normal human like the rest of us and have bills to pay/groceries to buy. If you really can't say no, your best bet is to give them a hard deadline for when you need your money back, and associate it with something that you need it for (i.e. "hey could you pay me back by next Thursday? I'm behind on my phone bill")

molnizzle

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I think it's time for a career change. What kind of job are you working where you boss is asking for money to pay their probation fees?

Casualcore

Jul 25, 2018
I'd suggest generally letting it be known that the Bank of TaySan is closed. Make it a blanket policy, and so no one feels singled out. If you end up loaning money to a family member or something, make sure they know it is absolutely a secret and absolutely abnormal.

My general rule of thumb is I don't loan money to anyone who wouldn't loan money to me. Really narrows the list down.

Deleted member 3888

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I let people walk all over me because I don't really care most of the time. I ain't giving people my money though no matter how much they ask, I'm poor.

GrimJawz

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Canada
I actually have a pretty aggressive personality especially towards people or rather other people's aggression, I don't think anyone who knows me would ever call me anything close to a push over.

And on the topic of money for whatever reason I feel absolutely nothing borrowing friends and family large amounts of money, even if I'm not financially well off, hell even my parents owe me almost 20 grand and as much as I want that money back eventually I don't think I would even feel particularly angry if I never saw that money again.

Static

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
I am a pushover but I would never loan more money than I was comfortable parting with permanently to anyone I wasn't absolutely certain would pay me back. If they don't like it fuck em.

NoRĂ©N

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I would guess a lot better people on here are pushovers based on the advice they give.

Bad neighbor: you move
Bad coworkers: ignore
Etc and so on.

TaterTots

Oct 27, 2017
I am not a pushover. In fact, I take pride in telling people no and leaving them disappointed. I probably wouldn't be working the job I have if I couldn't say "no" to all these fucks.

Deleted member 56580

Banned
May 8, 2019
I have a hard time telling people no when They ask me for money. I will tell them no, but they will keep pushing me for it until I will give in.

How do you deal with people like that? Especially if they are friends/co workers/bosses you can't just ignore.

You don't even listen to them, period

Why do you think you owe them btw ? that's the angle they're exploiting, and it irritates me that they're playing you like that

Verelios

Oct 26, 2017
I don't have a problem saying no, but I won't if it's something I can do with no effort.

///PATRIOT

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I have a hard time telling people no when They ask me for money. I will tell them no, but they will keep pushing me for it until I will give in.

How do you deal with people like that? Especially if they are friends/co workers/bosses you can't just ignore.
If they ask you for 100, tell them you only have 5.

Deleted member 9241

Oct 26, 2017
I am not a push over in the slightest. So, when someone comes to me for a favor I know that they are desperate. I listen to them and help however I can.

TheMan

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Yeah, I am. Stopped going to the nearby subway for lunch because I kept getting asked for money multiple times in a row. A couple of weeks ago I said fuck and decided I'd try my luck again. Guess what happened? It was easier to say no though...

Son Goku

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
I go by anime rules. If you're a true friend I'll "lend" you money even if I don't think I'll get it back. I lent my brother 10k for a down payment on a car and have built up my savings to 8k again. Hopefully he'll get it back to me but he's family and I can never put money ahead of people