• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

RiamuFG

Director at Chuhai Labs
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Kyoto, Japan
So, ERA between being a game dev and a podcaster there really isn't much time in the week to play games for me. I imagine most of you with adult lives have the same struggle! There's just not enough hours in the day to be able to do everything or to be able to consume the media you want to consume - first world problems I know.

But I recently have managed to have a pretty regular schedule of "me" time every night between about 11pm - 12:30am before bed and it has consisted of doing the same thing every night and it's started to really give me a lot of joy.

1. Open the balcony doors: let the fresh air and the night noises in.
Context here, I live in Kyoto. As some of you might know our summers are devilish and as an ex-pat Brit I long for the cold and fresh to come. Whilst summer is still trying to hang-on for a bit longer here (goddamn, climate change) it is now starting to be delightfully fresh outside at night.

2. Position my floor chair and TV right next to the door.
Living in Japan means my apartment is pretty small and there isn't much space in my box of a room. Whilst for the most part this is frustrating it does mean that the only place my TV can fit is by the door of the balcony and I sit right where the lovely fresh air is coming in.

3. Get wrapped up in a good blanket.
Yes, I understand this is a complete oxymoron to having the door open but to me nothing feels better than having the fresh air coming in and being wrapped up in a blanket.

4. Cup of tea ready.
Coffee at night - not a good idea. But, a nice cup of English tea or Rooibos is lovely to have.

5. Put on either a podcast or a streamer.
Wait what? I know, but I'm someone who really struggles to focus on just one thing unless it's absolutely gripping and engaging (Sekiro most recently). I feel much better when I'm "multitasking" or at least feeling like I am. To do this I put on my favorite podcasts that maybe I haven't had chance to listen to at work or I like to have the voices of my favorite streamers (I don't have many - mostly just Barry Kramer) on in the background.

5. GAME - One where sound and story are of low priority.
This is where the fun begins! I can start playing games in my blanket, with my tea, a nice podcast and the fresh air. Obviously because of the multitasking I've recently been playing games that don't require my absolute attention (for missing a story point or having to focus really hard). The games I've been playing have been stuff like: Destiny 2 (I'm a New Light player - so story means nothing to me, but I'm enjoying just going around shooting things and getting cool guns), FIFA (I love Football and doesn't require sound or attention really - I've helped Vissel Kobe win the league twice!), Smash Bros Ultimate (can never go wrong with Smash practice) and also a whole host of Apple Arcade stuff (Mostly Grindstone and Card of Darkness). If anybody has good game suggestions that would fit into this please let me know!

6. Finish and go to bed.
I feel like I've actually done some gaming or at least been able to relax my way and that makes me feel good going to bed.

This is a dumb post I know.

But, I really just wanted to talk about this as it's been a real delight for me recently and helps with winding down at the end of long days - how about you thought? I'd really like to know how other people have balanced gaming in their busy lives or do you have what I would call "Comfort Gaming".

sredgrin

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Most action RPGs are good podcast games, particularly when you're done with the story, or the story is unvoiced, minimal, or bad. Grim Dawn, Diablo, Torchlight, Path of Exile, Victor Vran (though the Motorhead expansion might want you to focus a bit more on the audio).

MMOs like FFXIV and WoW too.

OP
OP
RiamuFG

RiamuFG

Director at Chuhai Labs
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Kyoto, Japan
Most action RPGs are good podcast games, particularly when you're done with the story, or the story is unvoiced, minimal, or bad. Grim Dawn, Diablo, Torchlight, Path of Exile, Victor Vran (though the Motorhead expansion might want you to focus a bit more on the audio).

MMOs like FFXIV and WoW too.

I did play a lot of FFXIV this year doing the same thing, but I recently switched over to Destiny 2 for a while - plus I actually like the FFXIV story stuff so it requires me to concentrate a bit more.

ara

Oct 26, 2017
I guess my favorite way is waking up early-ish on a Saturday, eating a light breakfast, grabbing a cup of coffee and just sitting on my PC, headphones on, playing all day. Not too many Saturdays like that nowadays since it's been a while since a game has really grabbed me that hard plus I'm in a relationship, but occasionally the SO goes to visit her family and/or friends and I get a weekend all to myself and find something fun to play and it's always a blast.

OP
OP
RiamuFG

RiamuFG

Director at Chuhai Labs
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Kyoto, Japan
I guess my favorite way is waking up early-ish on a Saturday, eating a light breakfast, grabbing a cup of coffee and just sitting on my PC, headphones on, playing all day. Not too many Saturdays like that nowadays since it's been a while since a game has really grabbed me that hard plus I'm in a relationship, but occasionally the SO goes to visit her family and/or friends and I get a weekend all to myself and find something fun to play and it's always a blast.

Sounds like a delightful Saturday morning.

Jonathan Lanza

"I've made a Gigantic mistake"
Feb 8, 2019
I told myself I would never use the Switch's handheld mode
Then I discovered the joys of bed gaming. Now I have to pulled out of bed with a truck if you wanna move me on a Saturday

Dan Thunder

Nov 2, 2017
At the weekend I'll be up early anyway so if I can I'll sneak into the room with my consoles, fire one up - very quietly - and get to play for a bit before starting to cry when I hear my son coming downstairs!

T002 Tyrant

Nov 8, 2018
The only way I play is whenever life allows me an opportunity. I no longer have the luxury of having a prefered way, which is exactly why I own a Switch.

Deleted member 2172

Account closed at user request
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Im with you OP. Nothing beats a nice hot drink with a cosy blanket.

I also feel the need to multi-task a lot with streams/videos, but at the same time so much of my backlog consists of games that I feel require my attention or would be hampered by having chatter going on in the background. Its a (first world) struggle.

AllMight1

Oct 27, 2017
I play mostly at night lately on ps4, but i do it with a 3DS in my hands, I play the 3ds when there are loading times in between some online MP games i frequent on ps4. That's been my go to lately all from the comfort of a couch. Water and cool air is always at my reach.

Gnorman

Banned
Jan 14, 2018
Ignore the people telling you to go to bed earlier OP. Between 11 - 1am has been my gaming / unwind time for years. Can't beat bit of quality 'me time'.

Deleted member 36186

User requested account closure
Banned
Dec 14, 2017
Damn, why is everyone telling OP to go to bed earlier? I think 12:30 - 1 a.m. Is a fairly normal bed time unless you need to get up at 6 a.m. or something.

This is a great post OP and your ritual sounds pretty awesome.

I'm fairly similar in that I like to play at night, comfy and with a drink (tea or wine/whiskey), but unlike you I try to be totally focused on the game at hand and not be listening to something else, unless I'm playing a completely braindead game like diablo 3 or something similar, which I tend to avoid.

I like to sit with headphones, my dogs besides me, and immerse myself fully in the game.

I'm currently playing AC Origins and exploring Egypt with this sort of mindfulness makes me truly appreciate the amount of work and love that the developers put into this recreation - they really don't get enough credit.

I can't play for long periods of time without a break though, 1 hour is probably my limit.

I also have a little almost daily ritual in which I will play for 20 minutes or so after lunch, while I drink my coffee, before going to work (I freelance at home so I can have these little play sessions).

riverfr0zen

Oct 27, 2017
Manhattan, New York
I don't think it's a dumb topic -- very pertinent for those of us who grew up gaming and have adult stuff now ("adult" used loosely in my case).

Some time ago I switched things up a little. I found that by the time I'm done with work and everything, I'm usually mentally drained. So while there was an element of relaxation that gaming could provide, it meant concessions in the types of games I could handle in that state/mood/disposition. Calmer games, like RPGs or simple exploration games worked well, but it was hard to enjoy something like an intense racer, combat game, or even advanced puzzle games. Basically anything that requires alertness or some higher degree of mental coordination was just not an enjoyable experience.

I had seen a comment in some interview or article by a game developer (it might have been Tim Schaefer, but not positive) who said they like to start the day playing some games. Besides providing some time for gaming, they also said that it helped invigorate/activate the mind for the day.

So I decided to give it a try -- why not play games at the start of the day when the mind is fresh and ready, rather than in a tired/diminished state at the end of the day?

Now, I can't play games at 8 or 9am because I have to be in standup meetings and such (and my job isn't in gaming, so no legit excuses there), so instead I tried something more radical(!) -- I started going to bed slightly earlier (10-11pm instead of 1-2am), and waking up around 4am. This means that after general morning ablutions/waking up stuff, I have between 5am-8am that I can potentially dedicate to gaming. I go out, get some coffee from the deli and drink it while playing my games as the sun rises.

This has some meaningful advantages for me. First, there are no longer any concessions around the nature of the games I can play. Mind is fresh, ready for anything. Also, I feel as though I'm spending more "quality time" doing something I love, rather than relegating it to tiredness at the end of day. And lastly, I've found that what the dev. had said about invigorating/activating my brain seems to be kind of true. By the time I start work/meetings, I'm awake and fully functional.

I've been doing this for almost a couple of years now, and it's a pretty nice set up for me.

Last edited:

Bomblord

Self-requested ban
Banned
Jan 11, 2018
Glass of wine and sprawling out on the couch if I don't work the next day.

Canucked

Comics Council 2020 & Chicken Chaser
Oct 25, 2017
Canada
I love a Saturday/Sunday morning Coffee and healthy snacks. Lounge about in comfy clothes. Warm and cozy in the winter, cool and light in the summer. With my cat who is also a gamer sitting next to me.

TrueSloth

Oct 27, 2017
And plus you're already ready for the next Cerny press conference.
2c8826e81467768cc72ce0ef0f6901f6.jpg

Mulciber

Aug 22, 2018
OP, I also love to put on a game which doesn't require much mental effort and listen to podcasts (or youtubes). It's one of my favorites. Recently, I have been doing this with Forza.

I still like to get into a narrative focused game, though, and then all the extra sound turns off. But what you describe is a great way to relax and unwind.

Deleted member 8468

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
What ungodly type of monitor mount clamps on to the stands rather than use VESA? This is horrifying, especially near water.

I respect the ritual OP. I'm a big fan of getting a couple matches of an online shooter in while I have my morning coffee. I started waking up an hour or so earlier a few years ago for this exact reason and it's very nice. I get some quality 'me' time in before I start the day, plus the high speed game goes well with the caffeine. Years past its been Battlefield or Call of Duty, but it's been Apex Legends taking that spot this year.

medyej

Oct 26, 2017
I like it, thanks for sharing. There is definitely value in having a personal 'routine' for even leisure stuff like gaming. It just makes everything more comfortable.

Dylan

Oct 28, 2017
When the baby is finally in bed asleep and my chores are done and I've finished reading/writing whatever I'm doing for work. So, never.

Last edited:

aerie

wonky
Administrator
Oct 25, 2017
RiamuFG, you and I play games almost exactly the same way. Cup of tea, window wide open, cozy in a blanket. Then, like you, I'll throw on a podcast, streamer, or Let's Play. Sometimes even an audio book, just depending on my mood. Though I won't play all games like that, some I'll throw on a headset and focus entirely on the game, just depends on how much downtime the game has, and how story focused it is.

It's really a wonderful way to play games, and I find I tend to spend more time immersed in the whole experience if enjoying a good podcast series alongside it all.

OP
OP
RiamuFG

RiamuFG

Director at Chuhai Labs
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Kyoto, Japan
Do you get weird Japanese bugs flying into your apartment or is it screened in? Regardless of your answer, please post a picture of your favourite weird Japanese bug.

I do have a screen, it's absolutely needed! I don't have one... I'm pretty bad with bugs haha. I'm definitely someone who enjoys cicada sounds in the summer though.

RiamuFG, you and I play games almost exactly the same way. Cup of tea, window wide open, cozy in a blanket. Then, like you, I'll throw on a podcast, streamer, or Let's Play. Sometimes even an audio book, just depending on my mood. Though I won't play all games like that, some I'll throw on a headset and focus entirely on the game, just depends on how much downtime the game has, and how story focused it is.

It's really a wonderful way to play games, and I find I tend to spend more time immersed in the whole experience if enjoying a good podcast series alongside it all.

100% Agreed!

EvilChameleon

Oct 25, 2017
Ohio
Unless I'm playing a campaign mode for the first time, I always mute the TV and then load up music or a podcast. Basic routine, but I find it enjoyable.

Speely

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Gamer rising up over here.

OP, I do something similar, though not as charming as your ritual. Lately, I put on Broadcast (the band) and turn off the lights, open the window near my bed, and then do either endless Dead Cells runs, play ESO solo while helping random lowbies via crafting or just general game stuff, loot grind in Torchlight 2, or get sucked into a twin-stick shooter time sink. All while sipping a nice Malbec or Pinot Noir.

OP
OP
RiamuFG

RiamuFG

Director at Chuhai Labs
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Kyoto, Japan
Gamer rising up over here.

OP, I do something similar, though not as charming as your ritual. Lately, I put on Broadcast (the band) and turn off the lights, open the window near my bed, and then do either endless Dead Cells runs, play ESO solo while helping random lowbies via crafting or just general game stuff, loot grind in Torchlight 2, or get sucked into a twin-stick shooter time sink. All while sipping a nice Malbec or Pinot Noir.

Sounds pretty similar to mine and definitely like a good time.

tadaima

Oct 30, 2017
Tokyo, Japan
Aren't you concerned about prying eyes? From my balcony I can see people sat watching television or laying in bed in their apartments with the doors open and lights on (Tokyo).

Also bugs!

OP
OP
RiamuFG

RiamuFG

Director at Chuhai Labs
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Kyoto, Japan
Aren't you concerned about prying eyes? From my balcony I can see people sat watching television or laying in bed in their apartments with the doors open and lights on (Tokyo).

Also bugs!

With lights off people tend not to be able to see in or very much, only whatever the screen is showing. But the screen angle doesn't face the door directly.