• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

TyraZaurus

Nov 6, 2017
So, disclaimer. This thread is inspired by Joker, but I don't want it to be *about* Joker. This is about how the media and politicians talk about mental illness and violence, and how it's explored in fiction and how certain kinds of media reinforce harmful and misguided preconceptions. This is not meant to condemn any one work of fiction, but rather talk about problems and frustrations that stem from these sorts of things.

Now, to start off, some basic information. Despite what the current Presidential administration would have you believe, the recent mass shootings in the US have little to do with mental health. According to this article from the Academy of American Family Physicians, less than 1 % of gun crime is perpetrated by those with mental illness, and only 3-5% of violent crime is committed by someone with a mental illness. In fact, the mentally ill are more likely to be victims of violence than perpetrators.

That last article also states that while it would be inaccurate to say there's no correlation (there is, and I have spoken erroneously on this subject in the past few days), this way of thinking creates "an untenable situationin which mental health practitioners increasingly become the persons most empowered to make decisions about gun ownership and most liable for failures to predict gun violence", and that it further stigmatizes an already marginalized subset of society who are under extreme societal pressure and distrust. I would go farther to personally argue that the government's continued argument that mental illness is the primary cause of mass shootings, in order to deflect from the issues of gun control, while simultaneously attacking health care and resources for the mentally ill, is pushing in the direction of effectively criminalizing mental illness—not explicitly, so, but in the sense of "driving while being mentally ill", and whatnot.

The second article I linked also brings up some important matters regarding race and social and class matters, which I think are also important to consider. Furthermore, one must also consider the role of environment and treatment of the mentally ill; while not all abuse victims become abusers, I am personally a victim of a kind of abuse that, in addition to occurring as I was (and still am) experiencing depression, attempted to influence my values, and as a result I learned harmful and abusive behaviors of my own that I am still working very hard to unlearn. By focusing solely on mental illness, you ignore contributing factors that also contribute to harmful and violent behavior, such as poverty, social status, and many others.

So where does fiction play a part? Well, I'd first begin by suggesting that there are primarily two kinds of stories about the mentally ill and neurodivergent: "oscar bait" and "the horror show". I'm not saying that these are the only kinds of stories that exist, for the record, but more that they are the most common.

"Oscar bait" stories involve the kinds of characters that are "inspirationally disadvantaged", who achieve impressive things even under the burden of mental illness, infirmity, or by being a super powered savant whose mind operates mysterrrrrriiiiiously different from the rest of society's. These stories serve to prop up the mentally ill and aneurotypical so long as they do in a way that "overcomes" their limitations and can be useful to/pass as normal in society. In much the same way that a wheelchair bound person is considered heroic if they manage to regain the ability to walk, but apparently not so by continuing to use their chair, it creates the expectation for people who struggle with these matters to not just deal with the matter of what makes them different, but excel in the eyes of "normal society". These kinds of stories may or may not include whitewashing of negative aspects of mental illness, but often does.

As for the "horror show", this is where the pretext of mental illness is set against the imagery and themes of violence, either by making the mentally ill violent, or enacting violence against them. If a mentally ill person is the central character of a narrative, they are also more typically the villain, villain protagonist, or victim of violence; they can be all three of these things, as well. If a mentally ill character is ONLY a victim, it is more likely that they are a secondary character, whose victimization serves to motivate the (usually) non-neurodivergent protagonist.

It goes further. In the case of mentally ill villains/anti-villains/anti-"heroes", they are usually given traits of autistic individuals, depressives, or others on the neurodivergent spectrum in order to create a sense of otherness. Often, many traits of particular mental conditions are exaggerated, portrayed inaccurately, or equivocated with the villainous persona. Mental health facilities are often portrayed in a similar manner to a haunted house, or the center of some kind of cult, or as if it were a sterile, clean-looking house of cards just waiting to crumble and reveal the darkness beneath. And if a mental health practitioner is not busy playing the role of the actual main character, who has a mentally ill person as a friend or patient, they are often themselves portrayed as villainous or violent as well.

This kind of stigmatization serves only to increase distrust towards the mentally ill, while also othering them, and reinforcing notions like the government's that mental illness is a precursor to violence. Not only that, it stigmatizes the professionals and care facilities that exist to give help to the people who need it. Therapists are fine provided that they can help Chad work out his relationship with his distant father or help Stacy learn to manage work with her personal life, but lo, beware that one might spend too much time looking into the darkness lest they find darkness within themselves!

Through all of this, the notion of sociopathy and psychopathy are often found. Despite its prevelence in media, Diagnostic and Statistical Manual does not include an entry for psychopathy, and most psychiatric organizations avoid the term as well. The term sociopath meanwhile is used to refer to those who suffer from anti-social personality disorder, with most fictional portrayals of the condition focusing on and exaggerating its violent tendencies while minimizing the effects of the negative disorder on the person who suffers from it. Both of these attitudes are, arguably, done in service of "medicalizing" the idea of evil, by othering those who commit acts of violence and separating them from normal people and casting the mentally ill further into the category of "inhuman". Psychopathy too also has its origins in the idea of genetics and degeneracy, and when it fell out of favor to say that the worst of people committed crime because of their genetic or racial background, it instead became fashionable and easier to say instead that their brains aren't right.

What then about the tortured mad man? The violent individual in fiction who gets pushed so far, his fall from grace is portrayed as tragic, with the implication that society failed him and that all the harm he did could have been prevented? Where things like environment, upbringing, and economics ARE acknowledged. This plays into what I talked about above; it helps feed the notion that the prevention of violent crime is the responsibility of the mental health institution. But more importantly than that, it also combines "oscar bait" with "horror show", creating an exploitative play at sympathy while simultaneously engaging in the harmful othering and inaccuracies that are rife throughout works like these. And given the limited scope of stories featuring the mentally ill and neurodivergent, it feels as though it's sending the message that "you need to start taking care of the mentally ill or else there's going to be negative repercussions for the rest of us." In other words, take care of these dangerous people, lest the lions decide to escape their cage, bringing danger to us all.

We need more stories where mental illness and neurodivergence is normal. Where it's incidental. Where it's allowed to be portrayed with empathy and understanding, where the struggles of dealing with it are as normal as two people trying to work out their relationship. For things to truly change in how the mentally ill are treated, fiction needs to stop treating it as if it were a sideshow, a spectacle, or treated as if they were a horror movie monster.

At the same time, I'm not saying that in doing so one should whitewash the struggles or ugly parts of these kinds of experiences, but it should be done with a sense of social awareness and empathy.

Last edited:

Plutone

Oct 25, 2017
I don't think it's possible to discuss this without discussing the Joker movie. I got into a way heated argument with my friends last night about this and they completely had zero understanding as to why I was unreasonably pissed off about the film and the way it exploitatively links mental illness and violence. To that end I'm grateful for the statistics you put down as I myself had no idea and also had the mistake of classifying psychopathy as a mental illness. I've always had trouble understanding as to why it was taboo to seek therapy or medication for the multiple friends that I've had that are suffering crippling depression and this does shed a lot of light into it. It's a horrifying result where they desperately need the reinforcement to have the self-respect and self-love they deserve, but they're far too afraid to even set up an appointment when they have the means because their parents would look at them weird or what would happen if their friends even find out a whiff that they're going to therapy?

It's why it was a fucking big deal for Sonicfox to admit he had depression and had to speak to a therapist and it shouldn't be.

Deleted member 11413

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Great thread, you really nail the problem with media treating mental illness as some form of 'circus freakshow' to marvel at instead of a burdensome and debilitating illness that hurts the person suffering the most.

OP
OP
TyraZaurus

TyraZaurus

Nov 6, 2017
Thanks guys. Man, I'm not really sure that I like the title of this thread, though; I feel like it doesn't put enough attention that I'm talking about this in regards to works of fiction.

And yeah, I guess the issue of Joker is going to be a deal in here. But it's not just that film: Shutter Island, Split, Fight Club. All sorts of movies use a form of mental illness or delusion to inform a character's violent tendencies.

Jarmel

The Jackrabbit Always Wins
Oct 25, 2017
New York
Joker feels like the wrong movie to have this gripe with as the whole concept is inherently based around the most iconic crazy supervillain of all time. This would have to be more of an issue with the character as a concept rather than this individual movie in of itself.

SlumberingGiant

alt account
Banned
Jul 2, 2019
Once Upon a Time in Hollywood did this well, Dicaprio's character was clearly Bi-Polar or something.

Deleted member 203

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Mental illness is the bogeyman the media likes to invoke because it means they can easily blame gun violence on "dangerous loners", and they don't have to talk about white supremacy and misogyny. Narratives that they themselves perpetuate.

OP
OP
TyraZaurus

TyraZaurus

Nov 6, 2017
Joker feels like the wrong movie to have this gripe with as the whole concept is inherently based around the most iconic crazy supervillain of all time. This would have to be more of an issue with the character as a concept rather than this individual movie in of itself.

The director invited this kind of discussion, though, both in the insistence Todd Philips made that he was making a "real movie". The film, without getting into specific spoilers, all but states that this is one of the issues it's confronting.

Furthermore, the recurring issues of Batman's rogues gallery relying too much on outdated notions of mental health is also something that people have talked about a great deal. These characters don't exist in a vacuum, and Joker's iconic status doesn't protect him from criticism.

Yata

Feb 1, 2019
Spain
I mean, there isn't a lot to say here, it sucks but I genuinely think mentally ill characters are some of the most complicated characters someone could write. Mostly because every mentally ill person is a world in itself and some of their critical experiences won't ever align with the logic or thought process of barely anyone. With that said, I do agree there's too many mentally ill characters who are badly handled, mental illness is rarely anything more than a scapegoat in fiction, like you said. It's a very complex issue, honestly, so it's rare for me to ever find a depiction irredeemably bad because I feel they are written like that out of a position of ignorance rather than a malicious one.

Jombie

Oct 27, 2017
If someone wanted to make a movie that explores the consequences of ignoring the mentally ill: homelessness, the suicide epidemic and the effect it has not only on those suffering but their families, and that could be just the tip of the iceberg. The mental illness-violence schtick is always a republican talking point whenever a shooting takes place, partly because it's easy to do because of the stigma — which a movie like Joker seems to propagate.

Honestly, it reminds me of the new Lindsey Ellis video where she takes Disney to task for taking credit for being woke, when they do the absolute bare minimum.

I've dealt with mental illness most of my life, and this take has been done to death and it just rings hollow. I think it also propels people to talking about the wrong things in regard to the subject it's bravely trying to tackle.

I could just be stupid though, who knows.

Oct 25, 2017
I think my cultural anthropology professor put it best that behavior is influenced by culture and when people break down they actually double-down on those ideals. So if you have the US who loves guns, loves revenge, hates forgiveness and love individualism then it's not surprising that people snap in gun murder sprees. Then you look at East asia where the message is keep your head down, don't bother people, and group oriented mentality and you get them jumping in front of trains, silently gassing themselves and group suicide. If people with mental health problems are turning violent, it's because your society idealizes it.

Tabaxi

Nov 18, 2018

I'd argue it would be the perfect opportunity to confront this.

Joker, in most of his incarnations, is fairy lucid and controlled, and doesn't possess any real symptoms of a specific mental illness. His main trait is a complete lack of empathy. In fact, while most of Batman rogues gallery are depicted as having an actual diagnosis, Joker is usually just called "crazy" or "insane."

In other words, (and there's some recent Batman media that have kinda touched on this) most versions of the Joker are basically just sociopaths (which, granted, isn't a real diagnosis either) using the "insanity" excuse as a cover and a scapegoat. He's just as "crazy" as Stephen Miller or any heartless, cruel Wall Street exec.

A Joker movie where the commentary is that the character is using societal prejudice and stereotypes of mental illness as a smokescreen or justification for his own actions and refuses to accept his own responsibility would be a far more engaging story to tell, and a natural evolution of the character.

OP
OP
TyraZaurus

TyraZaurus

Nov 6, 2017

Joker, in most of his incarnations, is fairy lucid and controlled, and doesn't possess any real symptoms of a specific mental illness. His main trait is a complete lack of empathy. In fact, while most of Batman rogues gallery are depicted as having an actual diagnosis, Joker is usually just called "crazy" or "insane."

In other words, (and there's some recent Batman media that have kinda touched on this) most versions of the Joker are basically just sociopaths (which, granted, isn't a real diagnosis either) using the "insanity" excuse as a cover and a scapegoat. He's just as "crazy" as Stephen Miller or any heartless, cruel Wall Street exec.

A Joker movie where the commentary is that the character is using societal prejudice and stereotypes of mental illness as a smokescreen or justification for his own actions and refuses to accept his own responsibility would be a far more engaging story to tell, and a natural evolution of the character.

Oh my god, THANK YOU. That's brilliant.

Jombie

Oct 27, 2017

Ding ding ding. Instead, it takes the path of least resistance. In its attempt to be controversial, it has the least controversial tropes masquerading as social commentary possible.

Nepenthe

When the music hits, you feel no pain.
Administrator
Oct 25, 2017
I went off on someone back in college who insisted that all mass shooters had to be mentally ill. That's the problem; the insinuation that evil and violence must be the cause of some extenuating circumstance that can be easily controlled, and not the banal happenstance of a society that deems these ills feelings towards the vulnerable socially acceptable while simultaneously allowing people to hoard deadly weapons. An America with a perfect mental health system will not stop these events from occurring.

Jombie

Oct 27, 2017
I went off on someone back in college who insisted that all mass shooters had to be mentally ill. That's the problem; the insinuation that evil and violence must be the cause of some extenuating circumstance that can be easily controlled, and not the banal happenstance of a society that deems these ills feelings towards the vulnerable socially acceptable while simultaneously allowing people to hoard deadly weapons. An America with a perfect mental health system will not stop these events from occurring.

It's a way of shedding all accountability. It's convenient whenever there's a video of some awful person being racist, the reaction is 'that person is obviously mentally ill, I hope they get help..' These arguments are nothing but a debilitating disservice to those that actually suffer.

Deleted member 11413

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I think my cultural anthropology professor put it best that behavior is influenced by culture and when people break down they actually double-down on those ideals. So if you have the US who loves guns, loves revenge, hates forgiveness and love individualism then it's not surprising that people snap in gun murder sprees. Then you look at East asia where the message is keep your head down, don't bother people, and group oriented mentality and you get them jumping in front of trains, silently gassing themselves and group suicide. If people with mental health problems are turning violent, it's because your society idealizes it.
There is truth in this, our society does idealize and glorify violence and revenge fantasies. Vast majority of people suffering mental illness do not lash out in violence though. A lot of mass violence is a product of right wing violence incitement or violent misogynistic or racist ideologies. The classic marriage of violence and mental illness would be the prototypical serial killer, but those individuals are both incredibly rare and not responsible for the majority of violence or mass violence.

FeistyBoots

Oct 27, 2017
Southern California
So, disclaimer. This thread is inspired by Joker, but I don't want it to be *about* Joker. This is about how the media and politicians talk about mental illness and violence, and how it's explored in fiction and how certain kinds of media reinforce harmful and misguided preconceptions. This is not meant to condemn any one work of fiction, but rather talk about problems and frustrations that stem from these sorts of things.

Now, to start off, some basic information. Despite what the current Presidential administration would have you believe, the recent mass shootings in the US have little to do with mental health. According to this article from the Academy of American Family Physicians, less than 1 % of gun crime is perpetrated by those with mental illness, and only 3-5% of violent crime is committed by someone with a mental illness. In fact, the mentally ill are more likely to be victims of violence than perpetrators.

That last article also states that while it would be inaccurate to say there's no correlation (there is, and I have spoken erroneously on this subject in the past few days), this way of thinking creates "an untenable situationin which mental health practitioners increasingly become the persons most empowered to make decisions about gun ownership and most liable for failures to predict gun violence", and that it further stigmatizes an already marginalized subset of society who are under extreme societal pressure and distrust. I would go farther to personally argue that the government's continued argument that mental illness is the primary cause of mass shootings, in order to deflect from the issues of gun control, while simultaneously attacking health care and resources for the mentally ill, is pushing in the direction of effectively criminalizing mental illness—not explicitly, so, but in the sense of "driving while being mentally ill", and whatnot.

The second article I linked also brings up some important matters regarding race and social and class matters, which I think are also important to consider. Furthermore, one must also consider the role of environment and treatment of the mentally ill; while not all abuse victims become abusers, I am personally a victim of a kind of abuse that, in addition to occurring as I was (and still am) experiencing depression, attempted to influence my values, and as a result I learned harmful and abusive behaviors of my own that I am still working very hard to unlearn. By focusing solely on mental illness, you ignore contributing factors that also contribute to harmful and violent behavior, such as poverty, social status, and many others.

So where does fiction play a part? Well, I'd first begin by suggesting that there are primarily two kinds of stories about the mentally ill and neurodivergent: "oscar bait" and "the horror show". I'm not saying that these are the only kinds of stories that exist, for the record, but more that they are the most common.

"Oscar bait" stories involve the kinds of characters that are "inspirationally disadvantaged", who achieve impressive things even under the burden of mental illness, infirmity, or by being a super powered savant whose mind operates mysterrrrrriiiiiously different from the rest of society's. These stories serve to prop up the mentally ill and aneurotypical so long as they do in a way that "overcomes" their limitations and can be useful to/pass as normal in society. In much the same way that a wheelchair bound person is considered heroic if they manage to regain the ability to walk, but apparently not so by continuing to use their chair, it creates the expectation for people who struggle with these matters to not just deal with the matter of what makes them different, but excel in the eyes of "normal society". These kinds of stories may or may not include whitewashing of negative aspects of mental illness, but often does.

As for the "horror show", this is where the pretext of mental illness is set against the imagery and themes of violence, either by making the mentally ill violent, or enacting violence against them. If a mentally ill person is the central character of a narrative, they are also more typically the villain, villain protagonist, or victim of violence; they can be all three of these things, as well. If a mentally ill character is ONLY a victim, it is more likely that they are a secondary character, whose victimization serves to motivate the (usually) non-neurodivergent protagonist.

It goes further. In the case of mentally ill villains/anti-villains/anti-"heroes", they are usually given traits of autistic individuals, depressives, or others on the neurodivergent spectrum in order to create a sense of otherness. Often, many traits of particular mental conditions are exaggerated, portrayed inaccurately, or equivocated with the villainous persona. Mental health facilities are often portrayed in a similar manner to a haunted house, or the center of some kind of cult, or as if it were a sterile, clean-looking house of cards just waiting to crumble and reveal the darkness beneath. And if a mental health practitioner is not busy playing the role of the actual main character, who has a mentally ill person as a friend or patient, they are often themselves portrayed as villainous or violent as well.

This kind of stigmatization serves only to increase distrust towards the mentally ill, while also othering them, and reinforcing notions like the government's that mental illness is a precursor to violence. Not only that, it stigmatizes the professionals and care facilities that exist to give help to the people who need it. Therapists are fine provided that they can help Chad work out his relationship with his distant father or help Stacy learn to manage work with her personal life, but lo, beware that one might spend too much time looking into the darkness lest they find darkness within themselves!

Through all of this, the notion of sociopathy and psychopathy are often found. Despite its prevelence in media, Diagnostic and Statistical Manual does not include an entry for psychopathy, and most psychiatric organizations avoid the term as well. The term sociopath meanwhile is used to refer to those who suffer from anti-social personality disorder, with most fictional portrayals of the condition focusing on and exaggerating its violent tendencies while minimizing the effects of the negative disorder on the person who suffers from it. Both of these attitudes are, arguably, done in service of "medicalizing" the idea of evil, by othering those who commit acts of violence and separating them from normal people and casting the mentally ill further into the category of "inhuman". Psychopathy too also has its origins in the idea of genetics and degeneracy, and when it fell out of favor to say that the worst of people committed crime because of their genetic or racial background, it instead became fashionable and easier to say instead that their brains aren't right.

What then about the tortured mad man? The violent individual in fiction who gets pushed so far, his fall from grace is portrayed as tragic, with the implication that society failed him and that all the harm he did could have been prevented? Where things like environment, upbringing, and economics ARE acknowledged. This plays into what I talked about above; it helps feed the notion that the prevention of violent crime is the responsibility of the mental health institution. But more importantly than that, it also combines "oscar bait" with "horror show", creating an exploitative play at sympathy while simultaneously engaging in the harmful othering and inaccuracies that are rife throughout works like these. And given the limited scope of stories featuring the mentally ill and neurodivergent, it feels as though it's sending the message that "you need to start taking care of the mentally ill or else there's going to be negative repercussions for the rest of us." In other words, take care of these dangerous people, lest the lions decide to escape their cage, bringing danger to us all.

We need more stories where mental illness and neurodivergence is normal. Where it's incidental. Where it's allowed to be portrayed with empathy and understanding, where the struggles of dealing with it are as normal as two people trying to work out their relationship. For things to truly change in how the mentally ill are treated, fiction needs to stop treating it as if it were a sideshow, a spectacle, or treated as if they were a horror movie monster.

At the same time, I'm not saying that in doing so one should whitewash the struggles or ugly parts of these kinds of experiences, but it should be done with a sense of social awareness and empathy.

I love this post, and I really appreciate you saying everything you said.

I'm what a lot of people would consider "crazy" or "fucked up", words that even I unfortunately used to use to describe myself.

I have six diagnosed neurological conditions that interlock in a complex comorbidity matrix that can make me very hard to understand, or for me to understand others.

These include ASD1 (aka Asperger's Syndrome), Gender Dysphoria, ADHD, Generalized Anxiety Disorder, Major Depressive Disorder, and C-PTSD. Another influence on my life was schizophrenia, which is very prevalent in my family (both my maternal grandmother and paternal uncle had severe schizophrenia).

The C-PTSD is something developed through and exacerbated by what I can only describe as a long series of horrible traumatic events I have gone through from a very young age through to, sadly, as recently as last month.

Yet even with easy access to guns as a youth, I never wanted to hurt anyone else. I never let myself give up on being the best, kindest person I could be. I failed, often, but not through lack of intent to be a good person.

My life partner also has multiple conditions, as do most of my other loved ones and friends. They are the kindest and most loving people I've ever known, and what you talk about in your post are the things that we all keep encountering. Distrust, fear of us, assumptions that we're faking or dangerous if we're not, ridicule... it all takes its toll on already-fragile psyches.

Thank you for starting this conversation. đź’›

Oct 26, 2017
UK

This hits the nail on the head. A part of me prefers the absolutely abhorrent portrayal of mental illness in the likes of Gotham's Arkham Asylum where everything's so ridiculous it clearly has no grounding in reality as opposed to supposedly more 'realistic' takes that end up being more insulting to those who have to cope with mental illnes.

Interestingly enough I think The Dark Knight Returns does a much better job on this front. The climax clearly shows an unsympathetic character using the sympathy of others to commit as much unjustified harm as her possible can. Even though there you probably have to come to terms that Millar's intended message is also linked to his views on punishment over reform and an anti-psychiatry view given his politics.