• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
OP
OP
VeePs

VeePs

Prophet of Truth
Oct 25, 2017
so to get the 125 I would need to click the "Yes" check box for "Would you like to make a claim for time?"

and then fill out 10 hours of things I did to check my credit?

Claim for time is something else.

For the free $125 you can choose $125 or credit monitoring.

The time claim is $25 per hour upto 20 hours. And for past 10 hours you need evidence.

Selbran

Oct 25, 2017
If I use Creditkarma and have a Discover card I don't need the credit monitoring, do I? I went with the cash because I figured I already get credit monitoring with those two services

Cation

The Fallen
Oct 28, 2017
I prob should have put 5 hrs of work in there as I actually wasted so much time learning about the whole system when it happened, but I didn't. I better get that $125 now tho...

SpankyDoodle

Oct 25, 2017
Looks like I wasn't affected by my girlfriend was, I'll have to have my parents check as well. She's gonna sign up for the free monitoring and do a check to make sure nothing unsavory has happened with her info.

Fucking stupid mother fuckers, literally their one job to keep this shit safe

Gwarm

Nov 13, 2017
I'm telling everyone I know about this. I spent too long worrying about this and dealing with stolen credit card information. I have no idea if that is directly related or not, but having my SSN out there surely didn't help.

zerocalories

Oct 28, 2017
California
yes, i was affected.....i will gladly take 4 years of all 3 bureau for monitoring, my credit score is worth FAR more than $125

but i will be submitting 10 hours worth of time spent due to that fucking breach. I did so much research and monitoring personally after that went down. Even froze my equifax i think, so ill take the $75 back from that too and the $250 in time spent wasting my time online researching everything on how to protect my info.

I will prolly do the same

Landy828

Oct 26, 2017
Clemson, SC
My wife and I were both affected. Claimed the $125 and 10 hours for both of us. This happened right as we were buying a home and made things, even if slightly, more stressful. It will be a concern going forward for anyone affected unfortunately.

My children don't show up with the tool, but I don't trust that. I don't trust that my whole family wasn't breached if the wife and I both were.

Should I make a claim for their names too? Not sure how I go about cashing that check. I guess I could get the debit card instead of a check.

Still don't think it's enough money to make up for giving away literally everything a person needs to use your information.

Cartoonic21

Oct 25, 2017
When I try to claim the $125, it says you must certify you have credit monitoring.

I do have a Discover card which sounds like it comes with credit monitoring but I'm not sure if that applies here?

Anyone know?

It doesn't actually ask you to verify anything when you select that option so you're OK either way. Maybe at a later date but I'd just link them to your credit card companies monitoring program.

Source: submitted without verification earlier today.

Futureman

Oct 26, 2017
Submitted a claim and I'm telling people I know they should try as well. Others should too. Make them pay as much as possible.

Unless I'm misunderstanding, it's capped at $700 million, so once 248,000 people sign up, anything above that will lower how much each person gets. If EVERYONE files a claim (obviously won't happen), we'll be getting checks for $0.21.

Edit... That math doesn't seem to work out, but according to the Verge article, 248k seems to be the cap for everyone getting the full pay out

GK86

Oct 25, 2017
Unless I'm misunderstanding, it's capped at $700 million, so once 248,000 people sign up, anything above that will lower how much each person gets. If EVERYONE files a claim (obviously won't happen), we'll be getting checks for $0.21.

Edit... That math doesn't seem to work out, but according to the Verge article, 248k seems to be the cap for everyone getting the full pay out

I vote to delete this thread.

Deleted member 3812

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Just went to the claim form website, says I was affected by the 2017 Equifax data breach so I filled out the form and chose the $125 check option because I already got credit monitoring for free due to a data breach involving the State of Maryland.

AOC has even tweeted about this:

Everyone: go get your check from Equifax!

$125 is a nice chunk of change.

Get that money and pay off a bill, sock it away, take a day off, treat yourself, whatever you'd like - but cash that check!

It takes one minute.

SpankyDoodle

Oct 25, 2017
Wait if I wasn't affected by the breach can I still claim the 10 hours thing? Cause I sure as fuck panicked and spent a ton of time researching and closing/freezing shit to try and protect myself even though it turns out I wasn't actually impacted. So I know I can't get the $125/free monitoring (would have taken the money since I already paid for the other) but I still put time in because of their shit, dammit ):<

Nelo Ice

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Credit monitoring seems nice but I'm leaning towards the $125 + 10 hours of time wasted. Can't decide damnit lol.

Kuro

Oct 25, 2017
claimed 5 hours on top of the $125 for all the research and checking my accounts and credit info after the breach. Already have credit monitoring thanks to MD's shit security.

Dragonborn

Oct 30, 2017
It didn't ask me for my social or anything? So once I get the claim number I'm good? Or do I have to do something else? Do I just wait?

Br3wnor

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
claimed 5 hours on top of the $125 for all the research and checking my accounts and credit info after the breach. Already have credit monitoring thanks to MD's shit security.

Did 10 hours each for me and my wife, will be interesting how this plays out, there's no evidence you can provide for time spent researching stuff or monitoring activity. The $250 will be nice at least. (For opting out of credit monitoring x2, I don't expect they'll actually compensate me for the time claim)

BFIB

Oct 25, 2017
Did 10 hours each for me and my wife, will be interesting how this plays out, there's no evidence you can provide for time spent researching stuff or monitoring activity. The $250 will be nice at least. (For opting out of credit monitoring x2, I don't expect they'll actually compensate me for the time claim)
I suffered identity theft about a month after this breach. Someone took out an auto loan, got in an accident so now I have to go to a hearing to prove to the state that it was not me (already dealt with the fraud case with the auto company and loan company). So you bet I'm going to put the full time allotted in because it's been a nightmare. All my credit is frozen, all the time I've spent getting this under control.

Br3wnor

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I suffered identity theft about a month after this breach. Someone took out an auto loan, got in an accident so now I have to go to a hearing to prove to the state that it was not me (already dealt with the fraud case with the auto company and loan company). So you bet I'm going to put the full time allotted in because it's been a nightmare. All my credit is frozen, all the time I've spent getting this under control.

Damn man, sorry to hear that. Make sure you also put in a claim for lost money related to the expenses for fighting this and going to court, etc. It's up to $20,000 so if you have proof of money spent make sure to claim it. It's so fucked up that it would take a class action lawsuit like this to force them to pay you in the first place, they should automatically be liable.

Prax

Oct 25, 2017
You might as well just assume your information is out there at this point and just watch your credit. There is no other way to deal with it at this point.
Oh yeah. I look at my credit stuff fairly often. Remember the NCIX (canadian online retailer for tech stuff)? I was probably on those servers they put in trash can/auctioned off but never wiped too. lol

Krakatoa

Prophet of Regret
Oct 29, 2017
I went with credit monitoring. Does anyone know how long it takes until they send you the info for the credit monitoring?

MIMIC

Dec 18, 2017
Gross. I was affected.

Guess I'll take that $125 check and free credit monitoring

(edit: I already get monitoring from credit karma apparently)

Last edited:

Linkura

Oct 25, 2017
Put in for our $370 the other day. $125 + 2 hours of freezing credit and researching + $10 to freeze at Experian and TransUnion x 2 for my husband me. They shouldn't be allowed to stay in business period, but Murica. I'll take my share.

We still have our credit frozen and don't plan to unfreeze it anytime soon at all.

mittelos

Oct 27, 2017
Got mine in plus a little time for researching but with the word out on this I'm expecting to get maybe $5.

Oct 25, 2017
So their checker said I was not affected, but not knowing that at the time I went through the hassle of freezing my reports at all agencies.

So all I would be able to get is the couple hours of work it took to do the freezes and not the base $125?

Or do I get nothing at all?

Bohemian

Oct 26, 2017
Cash payments are no longer set at $125. Just got an email saying:

Updated information about the Equifax Data Breach Settlement is available at ftc.gov/Equifax. We have provided additional details about the amount of money available to pay certain types of claims, including the cash alternative to free credit monitoring. Based on this new information, people may wish to change their claims. The updated page includes information about how to do that, too.

Due to the response and settlement amount, they're trying to push people away from the money option versus free monitoring. Sounds like the 125 isn't guaranteed: https://www.ftc.gov/enforcement/cases-proceedings/refunds/equifax-data-breach-settlement

5. I thought I could choose $125 instead of free credit monitoring. What happened?
The public response to the settlement has been overwhelming. Millions of people have visited this site in just the first week. Because the total amount available for these alternative payments is $31 million, each person who takes the money option is going to get a very small amount. Nowhere near the $125 they could have gotten if there hadn't been such an enormous number of claims filed.

The free credit monitoring provides a much better value, and everyone whose information was exposed can take advantage of it. If your information was exposed in the data breach, and you file a valid claim before the deadline, you are guaranteed at least four years of free monitoring at all three credit bureaus (Equifax, Experian, and TransUnion) and $1,000,000 of identity theft insurance, among other benefits. The market value of this product is hundreds of dollars per year.
You can still choose the cash option on the claim form, but you will be disappointed with the amount you receive and you won't get the free credit monitoring.

Kind of annoyed at this, as I already have monitoring through Credit Karma and can run monthly credit reports through my credit cards.

Deleted member 8741

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
This seems like it shouldn't be legal. How can they give you a payment option and then pull it back because the payment option is in too high of a demand. Why can't they either cap it or just pay out like they should?

Deleted member 3038

Oct 25, 2017
Cash payments are no longer set at $125. Just got an email saying:

Due to the response and settlement amount, they're trying to push people away from the money option versus free monitoring. Sounds like the 125 isn't guaranteed: https://www.ftc.gov/enforcement/cases-proceedings/refunds/equifax-data-breach-settlement

Kind of annoyed at this, as I already have monitoring through Credit Karma and can run monthly credit reports through my credit cards.
I mean did anyone really expect $125? You'd be lucky to get more than $10 from any class action as huge as this

El_TigroX

Oct 27, 2017
New York, NY
We fucked you guys all over, but hey now, stop being so greedy...

At this point I have like 4 credit scans from breaches, I'm covered, you assholes.

iareharSon

Oct 30, 2017
I think if you have provable damages, that payment comes from a different pile of money than the base $125 from just being a part of the leak.

The majority of mine is from a subscribing to myFICO following the breach to monitor my credit. I feel like that pot of money is going to undergo a similar fate as this.

mikehaggar

Developer at Pixel Arc Studios
Verified
Oct 26, 2017
Harrisburg, Pa
This seems like it shouldn't be legal. How can they give you a payment option and then pull it back because the payment option is in too high of a demand. Why can't they either cap it or just pay out like they should?

It's especially ridiculous considering they KNOW the number of people affected. Why they would even put some arbitrary dollar amount on it is beyond me...

Isilia

Mar 11, 2019
US: PA
You guys helped me get some food money.

Pretty sure they already are giving me free credit monitoring though... If it ends, oh well.

ced

Oct 27, 2017
As if this situation wasn't already bullshit, they are now walking back on the $125 credit for monitoring.

There's also the option for people who certify that they already have credit monitoring to claim up to $125 instead. But the pot of money that pays for that part of the settlement is $31 million. A large number of claims for cash instead of credit monitoring means only one thing: each person who takes the money option will wind up only getting a small amount of money. Nowhere near the $125 they could have gotten if there hadn't been such an enormous number of claims filed.

How ridiculous, was the math so hard to multiply $125 times the number of people affected?