• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Bunzy

Banned
Nov 1, 2018
I mean can we all talk about the most important aspect of episode 9. John Williams gave us amazing new music in the Original and prequel trilogy but we have yet to really have that duel of fates track in the new movies.

who thinks Williams continues the trend and gives us a good but not stellar soundtrack that is similar to episode 7,8.

or does he save his best performance for last and gives us something that absolutely can be held next to the Star Wars standard

BDS

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
TLJ has some pretty good music, The Spark is a pure fire track.

Kalentan

Oct 25, 2017
I do hope Episode 9's score knocks it out of the park. While Episode 7 and 8 had a few good tracks, the vast majority of it was incredibly unmemorable compared to what came before.

spookyduzt

Drive-In Mutant
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
He's just gonna reuse Duel of the Fates again, but won't get shit on for rehashing old shit like JJ does.

TheJollyCorner

The Fallen
Nov 7, 2017
Yeah...this is truly John Williams' last chance to prove himself as an actual music composer.

I wish him luck. He's going to need it.

Deleted member 17207

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Eh, I agree with others that John Williams doesn't need to be prove shit - but I also agree with OP that compared to the OT and PT scores, the ST scores so far have been.........mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmeh.

Not to say I haven't enjoyed them, but apart from Rey and Kylo's themes the rest are somewhat forgettable.

SlumberingGiant

alt account
Banned
Jul 2, 2019
He doesn't need to prove anything. He is the GOAT. But it would be nice for the ST to have some memorable music at least.

Bane

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
I actually find that after initial disappointment with them, the more I listen to the ST scores the more I enjoy them. I agree he's not something on the level of Duel or Battle of the Heroes in the ST but that's fine, there are still some good ones in it like Rey, Kylo, and The Resistance.

Gunslinger

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
ST music has been lackluster. Nothing there comes close to duel of fates, across the stars, order 66, battle of heroes and i am even afraid to compare it to ot.

Team_Feisar

Jan 16, 2018
Reys´ theme, The Jedi Steps/Ach-to and the March of the Resistance are fantastic.
I agree that the new Films have had less bombastic Songs than the PT especially, but that kinda fits the less soap-operatic feeling of the movies.

Mivey

Oct 25, 2017
His score for the ST has been sublime, the movies just don't put as much focus on the score, which is an actual issue, but not anything Williams is to blame for

Noctilum

Nov 28, 2017
It's all up to the director as to what type of music is wanted for each scene. I'm sure he has made some "Duel of Fate" samples that probably got rejected because they were not what the director was looking for in the scene. I never thought episode VIi or VIII had any prequel style fight scenes that warranted that type of music myself.

Heynongman!

Oct 25, 2017
The scores have been terrific so far. Rey's theme is so good. The March of the Resistance is also great. Not everything needs to be as bombastic and loud as Duel of the Fates

Aurongel

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Film scores in general have long been trending away from the types of showy compositions he's known for - Disney being especially guilty of driving that trend.

Only in a world where John Williams is the undisputed GOAT can we honestly look at the soundtracks for the ST and call them boring.

DidactBRHU3

Oct 17, 2019
Fortaleza - Ceará
His Magnum Opus was the Revenge of the Sith soundtrack imo. The ST has some good tracks like Rey's theme but give the man a rest. He won't make another legendary soundtrack at 87.

GSG

Oct 25, 2017
😂 @ last chance

This will most likely be the last Star Wars movie he composes music for(due to age, not performance).

Also, Rey's theme and Jedi Steps are awesome.

Prine

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
No where near the brilliance of OT and PT. Hope he comes though.

Across the Stars and Duel of Fates are incredible, nothing in ST comes anywhere near them.

Sanjuro

Oct 25, 2017
Massachusetts
I brought a friend to see Jaws for the first time on the big screen. She told me it just sounded like Harry Potter.

John Williams. This is your last chance to convince someone you do more than Harry Potter. Knock'em dead!

TortoiseRevenge

The Fallen
Jan 1, 2018
March of the Resistance, The Scavenger, Rey's Theme, Kylo Ren's theme, The Starkiller, The Spark, Canto Bight, The Battle of Crait are all amazing in my opinion

TheGrue

Oct 25, 2017
Can the mods please change the thread title to "John Williams - Canto Bight? More Like Canto Compose."

ProtomanNeo

Oct 27, 2017
Outside of Reys theme and Jedi Steps the sequel trilogy hasn't been that great as far Williams output IMO (though he seemed to be at least trying in TFA) but then again I can't blame Williams he's not working with much.

Zulith

Oct 25, 2017
West Coast, USA
Sequel trilogy hasn't been his best work but it's incredible what he is still achieving at his age. Still tracks here and there with new magic. We are absolutely blessed that he was still available for VII, VIII, IX, in the case of almost any other composer after all the time that has passed it just wouldn't be so.

Blader

Oct 27, 2017
You're right OP, the man is really treading on thin ice at this point. I'm worried if he can't deliver for this movie then all his previous scores will be burned and erased from memory as punishment.

Jarmel

The Jackrabbit Always Wins
Oct 25, 2017
New York
The sequel trilogy music is definitely the weakest of the three trilogies, by a good margin too. I can't remember a single track from TLJ. It is what it is, I guess.

It's probably about time for a change up of composers anyway.