• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Schnitzelfee

Oct 25, 2017
Germany
Astra Planeta
Physical pc games are still huge in Europe and parts of Asia...
The pc section in most big electronic stores is often bigger than the console ones here in Germany as example

And usually you have DVDs in the cases too... But the important part is the key of course

Asriel

Dec 7, 2017
User Warned: Trolling
I like how selling something with a steam key specified for several months, then removing it 2 weeks before release, with not even trying to directly contact your customers about it (shit even after the announcement they initially claimed it still would have Steam keys) and then completely failing to pull the marketing that indicated that it was a steam key from several big storefronts like Amazon is not anti-consumer, according to some shitheads.

How awful. They have to download the exact same game using different launcher? Those poor miserable souls. EPIC is evil! Or something like that.

Pryme

Aug 23, 2018
They are not competing, they are buying exclusivity to avoid competing with steam because they know if steam had metro at the same time as them, Epic Game store would have maybe 5% of the sales of steam. So they are being anti consumer as possible. I'm not surprised that this has to be spelled out to you with your constant cheering for the epic store.

Only reason I'm 'cheering on' the EGS is because they are providing much needed competition to Steam, albeit by methods you disagree with.

What you are 'spelling out' to me is your own take on their methods. Not necessarily factual information.

Why don't you spell out to me your opposition to Valve increasing the cut for devs ?

Toni

Banned
Nov 13, 2017
Orlando, Florida
zb8kX3P.gif

LewieP

Oct 26, 2017
Years ago, you could always redeem keys in their client.
Humble Bundle had epic keys for shadow complex for example...

People just kinda miss that you always could redeem keys there, no clue why
They have an support keys what they have specifically not committed to is (effectively) unlimited free keys for devs/pubs. Which is why games going exclusive were pulled from Humble et al.

Madjoki

Oct 25, 2017
Only reason this one has keys is because of physical copies. They had committed to bringing physical copies to shops and couldn't just cancel at last minute.

Digital copies that were ordered prior to announcement have to do with Steam key instead.

We gonna have this saltiness for a fucking year huh?

Expect more after epic starts throwing money again for other games.

methodiczero

Oct 27, 2017
San Diego
Look..... i could care less about PC launcher exclusivity. Its a far different and more manageable beast than Console exclusivity. But implementing it after you have already announced and taken preorders on a platform, only to pull the ol switch-a-roo is NOT cool. This is a marketing and company image nightmare that they had to have seen coming. I dont see how it could have gone any other way.

StrayDog

Avenger
Jul 14, 2018
People really want to give money the Gabe. You will just click a different icon. nothing more

Chairmanchuck (另一个我)

Teyvat Traveler
Oct 25, 2017
China
People really want to give money the Gabe. You will just click a different icon. nothing more

That other icon isnt clickable in some countries.

For others buying the game with that other icon costs more now.

Others want achievements and cloud saves that this icon doesnt provide.

Others wanna play it on Linux that this icon doesnt allow.

For others the patch broke the game today with this icon, while the other ones with the Steam icon could continue playing.

To users it just a different icon. But to devs can mean a huge pile of money.

It isnt "just" another icon. The whole featureset is different, not to mention the prices for that product.

Hektor

Community Resettler
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Deutschland
To users it just a different icon. But to devs can mean a huge pile of money and maybe a nice bonus to devs.

So you're saying there are individual pros and cons attached to these different icons that make million dollar companies prefer one icon over another?

Big if true.

Would be crazy if that were the same for the user, but i'm glad it isn't.

Deleted member 4346

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
To users it just a different icon. But to devs can mean a huge pile of money and maybe a nice salary bonus to devs.

Alternately, with the horrible press from going exclusive to EGS 2 weeks before launch, it could mean that the franchise falls over and the devs lose their jobs. It's a huge gamble that benefits the publisher short-term but not the devs...

I hate to see people lose their jobs because their publisher got greedy and said "fuck our customers".

Lothars

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
You can't change the meaning of an English word just because you dislike the EGS.
Don't insult me again. Thanks.
Only reason I'm 'cheering on' the EGS is because they are providing much needed competition to Steam, albeit by methods you disagree with.

What you are 'spelling out' to me is your own take on their methods. Not necessarily factual information.

Why don't you spell out to me your opposition to Valve increasing the cut for devs ?
Valve should to a point and they already have but that doesn't make anything epic store doing good or something to cheer for. Your constant delusional epic cheering posts really say alot about how you view anti customer things which is all the epic game store is doing.

It's not my own take, it's the truth on the matter because you to much of a fanboy to see that is your problem.

BernardoOne

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Source? 4A Games seems to be defending the switch to Epic quite hard, for a company that "isn't getting a cent from this".
They can't really throw their own publisher under the bus, that wouldn't end up well for them.

Be assured, like the vast majority of AAA games, the Devs are not in a royalty based payment. The publisher is the one getting all the money.

YuSuzzune

Nov 21, 2018
Play your PS4 games with no cloud or achievements support than. But hey, at least if you purchase the game via Epic store you are supporting DeepSilver (which already showed they don't give a fuck when they see the opportunity to quickly get some additional bucks) with the 12% cut, even if by doing so you need to pay 3-5€ more with payment fees when purchasing the game.

Also what's on the disc? It would be amazing if there's stil a Steam installer.

Last edited:

Muad'dib

Banned
Jun 7, 2018

Bullshit, sick of this argument, some countries can't even access this "icon", EGS doesn't even support my usual payment method so I can't buy the game on EGS even if I wanted to, and in other 3rd world countries the game jacked up the price.

So no, it's not just another icon.

To users it just a different icon. But to devs can mean a huge pile of money and maybe a nice salary bonus to devs.

Not my fucking problem, now devs get 0 of my payment, how about that?

karnage10

Oct 27, 2017
Portugal

Is EGS really "competing" with steam?
I use those quotation marks because while they are competing with steam for the costumers revenue they are directly harming me as a costumer. Steam by "itself" offers more competition (healthy one!) then EGS is doing because of all the cd-key sites. If you don't believe me go to isthereanydeal and search for metro exodus and metro last light.
Also while epic supposedly gives better cut do the developers is it also too much to ask for a slight discount for the costumer? Deep silver thinks it is. I pay the same whether they take 70% or more.

I'd like you to explain how a store that charges the same price of steam but:
  1. Lacks a lot of steam features (no BPM, no controller support, no "steam cards", no community, etc.)
  2. lacks pedigree (epic has had the epic launcher for years barely improving it, how should i believe their store will be different)
  3. Is cutting competition (there are no third party EGS selling keys)
  4. Costumer is directly harmed (support is barely required, the store has 3 months yet there hasn't been a major sale,etc.)
Is worth supporting just to "compete with steam.
I hope you change your opinion on the EGS

Oct 25, 2017
This argument is utter garbage and you have no idea what you are talking about.

A Steamworks game can (and is) sold at a plethora of stores, both online and retail. Every single Epic Store game has been 100% exclusively available for purchase through them thus far. That is insanely anti-consumer. Not to mention the lack of features and payment options.

BeI

Dec 9, 2017
Technically speaking there is a limit, but it's not really one actually selling a game will reach. It's in there to prevent exploiting mass giveaways for trading card money.

So basically any legit company could sell keys exclusively elsewhere and get 100% of the profits with no issues, and Valve would be fine with it?