• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Shantae

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Feb 15, 2019
80953857.jpg

Apple claims that Epic asked for side deal first
OP
OP
dex3108

dex3108

Oct 26, 2017

Sweeney said earlier this month that Epic is not seeking a "special deal" with Apple that other iOS app makers don't get.

But in Friday's filing, Apple disputed that point.

"On June 30, 2020, Epic's CEO Tim Sweeney wrote my colleagues and me an email asking for a 'side letter' from Apple that would create a special deal for only Epic that would fundamentally change the way in which Epic offers apps on Apple's iOS platform," former Apple Senior Vice President Phil Schiller wrote in a declaration. Schiller, whose title is now Fellow, runs Apple's App Store.

Apple said Sweeney was asking permission for Epic to bypass in-app purchases and allow Fortnite players to pay it directly. Schiller said that Sweeney emailed him the morning that Forntite changed its payment mechanism saying that it "will not longer adhere to Apple's payment processing restrictions."

Epic has asked for a temporary restraining order that would place Fortnite back on the App Store. A hearing on that order is scheduled for Monday in the Northern District of California.

"In the wake of its own voluntary actions, Epic now seeks emergency relief. But the 'emergency' is entirely of Epic's own making," Apple's lawyers said in the filing.

Apple says that if Epic were to remove the payment mechanism it introduced, it would allow Fortnite to return to the App Store, and would not disable Epic's developer account. If Epic were to lose its Apple developer accounts, it would not only be unable to publish Fortnite for iPhones, but it would also hamper the development of the Unreal Engine, software that helps programmers make games, and is used in hundreds of apps from many other companies.

Oct 25, 2017
I don't dislike them. I think they've probably been a net force for good in gaming. Their engines are world-class and they are giving people a free game every month week. Broke children are sure to appreciate that.

In this case, a victory for them against Apple is a victory for consumers so I hope they win, regardless of how cringe their ads and how legally shaky their monopoly assertions are.

It makes me shake my head when people can't recognize their allies.

www.cnbc.com

Apple fires back in court, says Epic Games CEO asked for special treatment

In its filing, Apple alleges that Epic Games asked for an individual arrangement with Apple, producing three emails from Epic CEO Tim Sweeney.

Sweeney said earlier this month that Epic is not seeking a "special deal" with Apple that other iOS app makers don't get.

But in Friday's filing, Apple disputed that point.

"On June 30, 2020, Epic's CEO Tim Sweeney wrote my colleagues and me an email asking for a 'side letter' from Apple that would create a special deal for only Epic that would fundamentally change the way in which Epic offers apps on Apple's iOS platform," former Apple Senior Vice President Phil Schiller wrote in a declaration. Schiller, whose title is now Fellow, runs Apple's App Store.

Apple said Sweeney was asking permission for Epic to bypass in-app purchases and allow Fortnite players to pay it directly. Schiller said that Sweeney emailed him the morning that Forntite changed its payment mechanism saying that it "will no longer adhere to Apple's payment processing restrictions."

Your ally seems to be 100% in it for themselves...

But I am sure once Epic secured their own increased profits, they probably totally intended to circle back and deliver that victory for consumers.

nampad

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
What's the logo on the hat supposed to be?
I know it is a play on the old Apple logo but what is the symbol supposed to be?

modsbox

Oct 28, 2017
Anyone done the math on how much money they're losing on this suit each day in lost iOS revenues? I'm no mathematician but 70% of a lot is more than 100% of zero. Meanwhile players of the game have been able to buy v-bucks without the 30% cut since the beginning.

There are so many better solutions to this than Epic has pursued. Just last night I just signed up for YT TV and Google flat out won't let you do it inside either YT or YT TV app (to avoid the 30% on the subscription). It works just fine. They simply just tell you to open the URL in the web browser (which you can do right there on your phone) to complete signup. Sure it's not as seamless, but it's certainly not difficult.

Point is, if Epic was really interested in saving their customers money they could just direct them to a website to buy V Bucks at 30% off. That they chose to pursue this path just shows that there is value in using Apple's payment systems, they just don't want to pay for it.

EloKa

GSP
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Haven't bought a single game from them. Hardly a fanboy....
Literally stating that we have to fight as mercenaries in some war for our ally Epic Games because their agenda aligns with "ours" (whoever "we" are) and because Epic is fighting for us we have to fight for them as well - but then claiming that you can't be a fanboy because you are only taking the free games. That's totally convincing.

finalflame

Product Management
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
This is so fucking embarrassing. Holy shit. I feel bad for the employees at Epic being subjected to being a part of this shit.

gozu

Oct 27, 2017
America
Literally stating that we have to fight as mercenaries in some war for our ally Epic Games because their agenda aligns with "ours" (whoever "we" are) and because Epic is fighting for us we have to fight for them as well - but then claiming that you can't be a fanboy because you are only taking the free games. That's totally convincing.

Yes, I did say that ya'll should buy a horse, a bayonet and a blue coat and join my regiment on the hill over the new red coat's fort Apple campus at midnight today. Take your bullets our your gun though. We don't want a stray shot to give us away*.

* I have been watching Hamilton nooon-stop.

Srsly though, check out my previous post about amicus curiae.

No, you just got a ton of free games... I'm sure that doesn't effect your opinion of them at all.

You are correct that I shouldn't give any credit to any company that gives me something for free. Or any person, really. Ingratitude all around I say! ;)

Nobody's paying me enough to stan for them, rest assured!

www.cnbc.com

Apple fires back in court, says Epic Games CEO asked for special treatment

In its filing, Apple alleges that Epic Games asked for an individual arrangement with Apple, producing three emails from Epic CEO Tim Sweeney.

Your ally seems to be 100% in it for themselves...

But I am sure once Epic secured their own increased profits, they probably totally intended to circle back and deliver that victory for consumers.

I addressed this in my previous post and explained the amicus curiae concept.

----------

Ok, hopefully, now everything has been cleared up! Feel free to hate Epic all you want, just hope for them to win their Apple case. Don't worry! Apple can do just fine with 20 Billion in profits a year from the app store instead of 50. I promise you.

There are some things that are so glaringly, obviously wrong that any attempt to justify them comes across as borderline delusional.

Imagine thinking that the highest valued corporation in the world (2 TRILLIONS!) taking a 30% app store cut is the right thing to do or is somehow good for consumers!

Imagine thinking that days after xcloud got cancelled as a result.

Imagine thinking it's a good think we can't stream games from the cloud on the go if we have an iPhone.

To me, it's like thinking it's a good thing Disney extended copyrights forever, because Mickey mouse needs to be protected...

Deleted member 3196

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Epic are so pathetic. I really feel for all the developers using Unreal Engine that Epic has thrown under the bus so they could create a PR campaign against Apple to try and force a discount on the App Store fees for Epic, and Epic alone.

They didn't even have the good grace to admit they were being greedy and self-interested, with no intent to fight for a better cut for anyone but themselves beyond a little lip service, and instead pretended they were doing it for all developers. The fact that it took Apple to expose their hypocrisy is sad.