• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Bakercat

Oct 27, 2017
'merica
latest

z1ggy

Oct 25, 2017
Argentina
I don't dislike them. I think they've probably been a net force for good in gaming. Their engines are world-class and they are giving people a free game every month week. Broke children are sure to appreciate that.

In this case, a victory for them against Apple is a victory for consumers so I hope they win, regardless of how cringe their ads and how legally shaky their monopoly assertions are.

It makes me shake my head when people can't recognize their allies.
Imagine thinking a billionare is your ally

Lobster Roll

signature-less, now and forever
Sep 24, 2019
"Epic, I did everything you asked. Do I get anything in return?"
"Why yes you do, little one! Come on over this way."
"Where are we going?"
"To the Fortnite store of course! Pick out any item you want, hand over that crisp $20 bill in your wallet, and it's yours to take home."
"I don't get it for free for my fealty?"
"We're a business, and businesses are trying to make money, and in a capitalist society you need to ..."

ArmadilloGame

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 27, 2017
They do realize a judge is going to see this? And Apple can probably use this shit against them in court? Tim Sweeney is a fucking moron.

Worth noting the reason Epic has its name is an equally amazing example of Sweeney's 5D chess:

In early 1992, Sweeney found himself and his new-found video game company in a business where larger studios, such as Apogee Software and id Software, were dominant, and he had to find a more serious name for his. As such, Sweeney came up with "Epic MegaGames", a name which incorporated "Epic" and "Mega" to make it sound like it represented a fairly large company (such as Apogee Software), although he was its only employee.

EVIL

Senior Concept Artist
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
man this is on the same level as maga caps. this feels super petty

PopsMaellard

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
I don't dislike them. I think they've probably been a net force for good in gaming. Their engines are world-class and they are giving people a free game every month week. Broke children are sure to appreciate that.

In this case, a victory for them against Apple is a victory for consumers so I hope they win, regardless of how cringe their ads and how legally shaky their monopoly assertions are.

Ah yes, the 18 billion dollar corporation is my ally. Once they finally win against Apple, I can't wait to receive my cut of the 30%!

BeanBoi

Jun 20, 2019
This whole situation is wild, but I don't like how Epic seems to be manipulating it's largely young audience into something they know little about.

Hailinel

Shamed a mod for a tag
Oct 27, 2017
Every day, Epic has managed to just make themselves look even dumber.

Z-Beat

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
The average Fortnite player probably won't even know what that hat is referencing. They'll think it's just a pride hat

mordecaii83

Avenger
Oct 28, 2017
I want Apple to win the case, but even if I was rooting for Epic this would be enough to make me change my mind. I don't know why they think this is a good thing to do, but I guess I can't expect much more from the same company trying to take away consumer choice on PC by moneyhatting.

Masterspeed

Oct 25, 2017
England
The world is falling apart and Epic wants us to stop everything and give a shit about their problems right now?

It's pathetic. It's disgusting and it's deluding kids minds to thinking these corporations are our friends, that we should care for them.

I can't believe with everything going on, this is their focus right now.

EloKa

GSP
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Epic are the good guys here. They can be the bad guy tomorrow or yesterday, who gives a flying fuck whether they're doing this out of greed or kindness? Their agenda and our agenda align and that is all that matters. We're all mercenaries up in this bitch. Corporations are not homelands. Nobody will call you a traitor and execute you if you switch from Apple to Android or Xbox to PS :)
lol. Fine. Epic are the temporary ally
Maybe you could try to dial down your Fanboy-At-War-Level from your current 11+ to a 7 or something.

SirFritz

Jan 22, 2018
Yeah I looked back and found my old tweet saying this

He actually replied to the first tweet in the thread and

I didn't get any further replies. EA Downloader launched in 2005.
I wouldn't be surprised if he seriously thought origin started in 2011. A lot of people don't realise ea downloade just renamed itself to origin overnight. And the client revamp actually happened months earlier before origin as well.

sibarraz

Prophet of Regret - One Winged Slayer
Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
It just came to me than Epic has the same energy than the WWE when they tried to rally their fans to protect the brand

Rosebud

Two Pieces
Apr 16, 2018
The world is falling apart and Epic wants us to stop everything and give a shit about their problems right now?

It's pathetic. It's disgusting and it's deluding kids minds to thinking these corporations are our friends, that we should care for them.

I can't believe with everything going on, this is their focus right now.

It's not even a problem, they banned their game on purpose. But somehow they are painting it as a cruel censorship.

HeroR

Banned
Dec 10, 2017
You know, even if I agreed with Epic, stunts like this are eye-rolling. That and it comes off as they're the loser since people with a strong case don't pull PR stunts like this. It comes off as they know that they will lose in court, so they're trying to win in the court of public opinion.

elyetis

Oct 26, 2017
I wouldn't be surprised if he seriously thought origin started in 2011. A lot of people don't realise ea downloade just renamed itself to origin overnight. And the client revamp actually happened months earlier before origin as well.
I wouldn't expect him to know much about the PC landscape at the time given Epic position about PC gaming and piracy around that time.

Luckily we had an actor who saw that Piracy is a service problem, even if we now have Epic coming back.. to make the service side of things worst.

LewieP

Oct 26, 2017
Yes but most people that misinformed wouldn't also claim to have created a multi store future.

Morten88

Dec 22, 2019
Are they really serious about this? They really want people to cheer on apple againsts them...

Deleted member 4260

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
This is all incredibly stupid but I want that Tart Tycoon skin if only for the absurdity of the whole thing.

Deleted member 31817

Nov 7, 2017
We've evolved from console warring to just straight up company warring.

ascagnel

Mar 29, 2018
Is epic not aware all these dumbass stunts will be used as evidence against them in the court case?

One of Epic's core arguments is that the iOS app marketplace is a distinct market from other computing platforms. Not a store — a market. Epic is claiming that Apple's power over the iOS app marketplace is monopolistic and anti-competitive — yet they're also out there advertising an event where they're literally showing 5 other places where you can play the same product. Knowingly or not, they're letting a bunch of air out of the argument that the iOS app marketplace shouldn't be lumped with other classes of apps by showing off their same Fortnite app elsewhere.

I had to hire a lawyer when I bought a house, and the first thing the lawyer told me was to talk only to him, and he'll handle talking to the seller, lest I say something stupid that may disrupt the sale or end up costing me a bunch of money. Epic should do the same — stop these stunts, let their lawyers do the talking, lest they undermine their own case.

Oct 25, 2017
One of Epic's core arguments is that the iOS app marketplace is a distinct market from other computing platforms. Not a store — a market. Epic is claiming that Apple's power over the iOS app marketplace is monopolistic and anti-competitive — yet they're also out there advertising an event where they're literally showing 5 other places where you can play the same product. Knowingly or not, they're letting a bunch of air out of the argument that the iOS app marketplace shouldn't be lumped with other classes of apps by showing off their same Fortnite app elsewhere.

I had to hire a lawyer when I bought a house, and the first thing the lawyer told me was to talk only to him, and he'll handle talking to the seller, lest I say something stupid that may disrupt the sale or end up costing me a bunch of money. Epic should do the same — stop these stunts, let their lawyers do the talking, lest they undermine their own case.
Yea i can't imagine there lawyers are thrilled about this

gozu

Oct 27, 2017
America
Maybe you could try to dial down your Fanboy-At-War-Level from your current 11+ to a 7 or something.

6rYmrEP.png

Haven't bought a single game from them. Hardly a fanboy....

Epic doesn't give a fuck about you or anybody but themselves. Their end game is the same as Apple's - stacking that pile of paper as high as they possibly can. They've sold you some BS, don't eat it.

Ah yes, the 18 billion dollar corporation is my ally. Once they finally win against Apple, I can't wait to receive my cut of the 30%!

I meant ally in an amicus curiae sort of way. Allies for the scope and duration of one court case.

For one, in the PC gaming space with what Epic is introducing aka 3rd party multiplat exclusives is a horrible trend for PC gaming in general despite whatever the reasons be for that exclusivity. Epic are legit treating PC ecosystem as consoles where exclusivity runs rampant and not much questioned depending on the market leader. So for me Epic games are the baddies since they run a false narrative against the market leader on PC and use underhanded ways to do stuff. Epic indoctrinating young minds with the current topic is just one example. Epic's words are sometimes pure but their methods are hugely questionable. Its almost like the're acting like... hypocrites. The main reason epic is against apple is because they want a special deal and the bigger cut, the others benefiting is only a byproduct which means its not their priority despite big claims about 'free and open ecosystems and being american(lol)'.

Yeah, it doesn't matter if they are liars and hypocrites. They could be Satan himself, and if Satan was defending medicare4all, he would be an ally. See previous amicus curiae reference.

I hope this clears things up for ya'll. Sometimes, (often), amicus briefs make for strange bedfellows.

JigglesBunny

Prophet of Truth
Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Chicago
Advertising and merchandising your federal anti-trust lawsuit against a billion dollar corporation to young children sure is one hell of a unique strategy.