• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

PrimeBeef

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
It was until they launched their Epic Mega Sale, which was just per week for E3 and now they chaned it so it's every week till end of the year

Here is a list of the games that was released free so far (City of Brass being last one before this weekly change happened):
progameguides.com

Epic Games Store Free Games - Schedule, Current and Upcoming Games

We're taking a look at the full list of past, present, and future free games given by the Epic Games Store!
Was looking at the list and I have owned the three games I'm interested in for quite a few years now. As much as I can appreciate the gesture, this really is nothing to see here until some full priced very popular games are given for free. Good on y'all for getting free shit for turning the other cheek(those that oppose the EGS shitty practices and participating). It just further proves my theory that gamers are cheap.

jrDev

Banned
Mar 2, 2018
Wow, guess I'll be trying the Epic games store!
That is certainly one way to build a launcher that is actually desired.

People speak of the woes of capitalism but as a gamer, right now, we are in a golden age. The amount of free games that roll into our position and the amount of hours of entertainment we are getting from f2p, subscription perks, and outright gifts is bonkers.

This is capitalism at its BEST!

justiceiro

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Damm, this is great. Hoping for a free games every day eventually.

Actually, i could go as far as seing games there and deciding to not buy and just wait for the giveway :D.

jrDev

Banned
Mar 2, 2018
Free games are great, but I fear this start a race to the bottom that would only damage the industry in the long run.
They're the only ones giving out free games on this scale.

Doesn't matter what they build if people end up only wanting free games... only funding that's left then is subscription (which is not great for developers) or MTX/Lootboxes/Battlepasses which are not great for consumers. See the mobile games industry.
What is this concern lately about free games "damaging the industry"? Sony has been doing this for YEARS, and actually giving more games than Epic per month. Even MS joined in on it...and it's been helping more than hurting, so what are you guys smoking? Take off your tinted glasses people!

Fahdi

Jun 5, 2018
That's 28 free games till the end of the year. Sign me up, since its free, I don't care for morals anymore.

Jul 18, 2018
Was looking at the list and I have owned the three games I'm interested in for quite a few years now. As much as I can appreciate the gesture, this really is nothing to see here until some full priced very popular games are given for free. Good on y'all for getting free shit for turning the other cheek(those that oppose the EGS shitty practices and participating). It just further proves my theory that gamers are cheap.
Idk man, the media/unit sales of games nowadays kind of proves the opposite. Even looking at subscriptions counts etc.
But for me, I just don't have the time nowadays to play games, so free shit on launchers i use benefits me since i only use Epic launcher to play Fortnite. So if i ever find the time, i can get into those other free games. But for now it's just in catalog to be there, just like waste money in steam sales and haven't touched anything i bought in over a year

Rodney McKay

Oct 26, 2017
Awesome!

I hated Origin back when that released but after enough free games I warmed up to them more.

Haven't been negative on the Epic Store much at all even with the lack of features (I bought Outer Wilds for it just recently) , but I'll never say no to (good) free games.

Anustart

9 Million Scovilles
Avenger
Nov 12, 2017
This got me to at least download the thing. Not getting that horse strategy game or gungeon next because I already own it.

This will probably end up like origin for me. I downloaded it and grabbed a couple free games but never played anything through it.

zashga

Losing is fun
Oct 28, 2017
Heh I have EGS installed to play Fortnite and actually turned off the pop up notifications because they were annoying me every (other?) week. I've got more games than I have time to play already without downloading more stuff I'm not even interested in just because it's free.

Delroy

Oct 27, 2017
Seattle
I'm loving all the free games I'm getting from just about every platform. I can almost stop buying at this point. I don't see how anyone can spin this as a negative.

starpower

The Fallen
Jan 23, 2018
Canada
I will take the freebies but so long as they continue the money hat tactics I won't spend money on their store and I will also boycott their partners that feel like breaking trust with their customers

Faabulous

Oct 27, 2017
Hell yeah! Always up for free shit.

I'd appreciate if they'd stop with the exclusivity bullshit tho

PrimeBeef

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
This. We finally have a Steam competitor that AFAIK takes a smaller cut from the profits (good for devs)
AND gives away free, high quality games on a weekly basis. And people hate it?

WTF era. Shame!
I don't hate it it's just superficial and suckers are falling for it. And frankly Steam has had a lot if competition over the years. EGS really isn6one because they have to money-hat fir exclusives and give away free shit just to get people in the door. How much of the $0 do devs get for every free game people take?

Seriously, EGS would be in a better position if they actually came tonthe table in 2018/19 with a fucking modern storefront and that's it. The built in FN base plus the 88/12 split should have been more than enough to sustain them. But let's look at facts, they came to the table with a storefront that would be considering lacking features if it were released 10 years ago and had to resort to money-hatting while telling they are making things better for competition by eliminating choice, and resorting to straight up bribery with free games.

Again, if they weren't being assholes from the start, I'd be there, well except for the free ones, own the only 3 games I'm interested and played them thoroughly. They keep promising to stop money-hatting for exclusives but with the Shenume news, doesn't look like they will, they keep pushing back these industry standard updates. It really is amazing to see all is forgiven because if free stuff.

Pargon

Oct 27, 2017
Sure, I'll download another ~28 games for free. I lose nothing by doing that.

Without DRM? Can I access those games without a proprietary launcher??
Most of them just run, some require you to launch them with -EpicPortal if you don't want the client running. Online play requires the client.

And btw, if something happens to your PC, your HD or what not, good luck getting your saves.

Epic doesn't have cloud saves yet.
I already redirect game saves to storage on another cloud service using junctions anyway, so that I have a backup independent whatever service they're running on.
It's a bit less convenient not having this built in, but it's not like every game on Steam does this (which is why I started) so I don't see it as a big deal.

Last edited:

Chixdiggit

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
I understand Epic has a lot of money but wow. Also at what point does this become an illegal business practice? I am not an expert but isn't there laws against something like this? Like a big chain gas station can't just start giving away free gas until all the other gas stations in town are out of business. Or can they?

XR.

Nov 22, 2018
Also at what point does this become an illegal business practice? I am not an expert but isn't there laws against something like this? Like a big chain gas station can't just start giving away free gas until all the other gas stations in town are out of business. Or can they?
Generally speaking, it could be considered predatory if Epic has large market shares and tries to force their competitors to back out by offering games at a net loss. That's more or less illegal but their market share is not quite there yet.

This is up to a court of law to determine though and differs from region to region, so it's not like it's objectively against the law just because they're giving away games. The whole context plays a key part.

Last edited:

Walnut

One Winged Slayer
Nov 2, 2017
Austin, TX
Rather than free games, I would like for Epic to start improving their storefront, lower their cut that they give to developers so that sales on games for the consumer are possible, and for them to stop buying exclusive rights to games.

Epic, it's great that you're burning a bunch of money to try to build your client up, but please don't do it at the expense of people who have been playing games on PC for a long time. The more aggressive Epic is at trying to force their new launcher, the more frustrated I get with my hobby of gaming at large. XBOX Scarlett isn't looking like such a bad option if it has keyboard and mouse support...

HockeyBird

Oct 27, 2017
If I had an Epic games account, these games would go where I have PS+ and Twitch Prime games: the bottomless void where I swear I'll check some of these out but never do.

Deleted member 42

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 24, 2017
I understand Epic has a lot of money but wow. Also at what point does this become an illegal business practice? I am not an expert but isn't there laws against something like this? Like a big chain gas station can't just start giving away free gas until all the other gas stations in town are out of business. Or can they?

Probably never lol

If I had an Epic games account, these games would go where I have PS+ and Twitch Prime games: the bottomless void where I swear I'll check some of these out but never do.

Are you me

Green Mario

Oct 27, 2017

Pretty much what I do. I use the Epic Launcher to play Fortnite but I have a ton of other games on it, none of which I've paid for except John Wick Hex.
I might check out City of Brass sometime.

Asriel

Dec 7, 2017

Is this a serious post?

adj_noun

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017

It's not illegal to give things away for free.

lusca_bueno

Nov 23, 2017
The question is: how worthy of my time will these games be? Unless they're giving me Hades, of course lol

Rosebud

Two Pieces
Apr 16, 2018
Im still confused why people hate Epic wanting their own store.

We don't

We hate that they are buying exclusives, including crowfunded games that promised Steam copies. It's disgusting.

Edit: on topic, they should give free games everyday, so less people would spend money on the store.

Crayon

Oct 26, 2017
If I wanted an influx of games I'm never going to play, I'd get them for almost-free at humble bundle.

Stat

Oct 25, 2017
We don't

We hate that they are buying exclusives, including crowfunded games that promised Steam copies. It's disgusting.

Edit: on topic, they should give free games everyday, so less people would spend money on the store.

I mean Epic/Steam/whoever exist to make money. They're not doing good deeds ever out of the kindness of your heart. Epic needs to cut into the marktshare that Steam has. Its one way to do it.

Is it bad that Sony/MS buy exclusives? Apple/Samsung buys a tech company to make specific tech to their platform?

I see your edit, and that's a little crazy, no?

Good on Epic. They need to make amends and giving away free games is the way to go

Rosebud

Two Pieces
Apr 16, 2018
I mean Epic/Steam/whoever exist to make money. They're not doing good deeds ever out of the kindness of your heart. Epic needs to cut into the marktshare that Steam has. Its one way to do it.

Is it bad that Sony/MS buy exclusives? Apple/Samsung buys a tech company to make specific tech to their platform?

I see your edit, and that's a little crazy, no?

Good on Epic. They need to make amends and giving away free games is the way to go

It's not the way to go, Shenmue KS page has almost 20 pages of angry backers asking for refunds and threatening to sue. Ask if they will be happy with the free Kingdom: New Lands.

Also, if they think Fortnite players will buy games (especially like Shenmue III) they are crazy.

Drain You

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 27, 2017
Connecticut
I mean I'll take some free games, even if I don't agree with EGS policies. Between this and all the semi good games I've gotten from Twitch I'm set.

zeitheist

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
They keep promising to stop money-hatting for exclusives but with the Shenume news, doesn't look like they will, they keep pushing back these industry standard updates. It really is amazing to see all is forgiven because if free stuff.

Doesn't Steam have exclusives too like the Civilization and Total War games?
And Microsoft buys whole studios but people get annoyed that Epic has Shenmue (which might just be temporarily exclusive anyway).

Epic is giving away free games and exclusives to get a bigger user base. Without that we will never have successful competitor to Steam. Competition is good for us and the market. Maybe it even pushes Valve to develop new games exclusive to their platform. So just let Epic do their thing and enjoy free games.