• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Jan 3, 2019
AVP-Alien-vs.-Predator-movie-poster.jpg

EloKa

GSP
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Remember when some news outlets published articles about how bad and evil Steam is because they posted this message and "radicalized" their user base?
I really do wonder why the same outlets prefer to be silent about the current situation right now or simply call it "tacky".
petulant.jpg

slsk

Oct 27, 2017
The "weaponising" is a bit like Kony 2012, I doubt it will have any impact, and the people participating are not being brainwashed or whatever.

However, it will be interesting to see what the legal impact would be if Epic wins.
It would be great if people could install whatever software they want on their own hardware. On the flip-side, once the walled gardens are torn down, the hackers will take over.

There is no loss for ordinary people here.

DeadlyVenom

Apr 3, 2018
Remember when some news outlets published articles about how bad and evil Steam is because they posted this message and "radicalized" their user base?
I really do wonder why the same outlets prefer to be silent about the current situation right now or simply call it "tacky".
petulant.jpg

Seriously. I remember tons of hand wringing from media people after this about Valve 'riling up their customers'. It is the most basic matter of fact explanation of the situation. "This is what is happening. We don't think it is fair exactly, and we know some of you are disappointed."

Imagine if Valve had made a video that played to everyone in DOTA2, with all the stalwart heroes rushing the evil Ancient "Epic" #SaveSteam

It is fucking (and I don't use the word for many things) 'cringey' to start taking your business posturing into an in-game marketing rally cries to your userbase.

Absolute

Banned
Nov 6, 2017
The "weaponising" is a bit like Kony 2012, I doubt it will have any impact, and the people participating are not being brainwashed or whatever.

Weaponising userbases happens all the time in spats on twitter. It is a real problem and not something localised to Kony-like happenings. I believe that was more pushed on Facebook anyway. To see corporations trying to leverage a strategy like this really makes me sick.

Arkaign

Nov 25, 2017
Epic are a gross fucking company.
So many games businesses are gross, but Epic is up there with the best of em.

'For the children' in respect to marketing and PR doesn't bother me.

When children are actually defacto slave labor and suffering injury, disease, and death in unfathomable conditions in these tech companies supply lines.

www.cbsnews.com

Apple, Google, Microsoft, Tesla and Dell sued over child-mined cobalt from Africa

Rights organization accuses the tech giants of "knowingly benefiting from and aiding and abetting the cruel and brutal use of young children ... to mine cobalt."

I'm not sure if it's just because the kids are brown, but this has been gleefully ignored while people skree over stuff like this Epic ad and Spiderman etc.

And Epic aren't the good guys here. If they were in Apple or Google's position, they'd be every bit as greedy, hateful, and indiscriminately destructive to humanity even down to casually accepting child labor.

Netherscourge

Oct 25, 2017
petulant.jpg

Steam didn't pull those games though. Epic did.

In this situation, Apple pulled the plug on Epic. And Apple's defense is not that they were blocked by exclusivity. Apple's defense is that they can't make the 30% cut from Fortnite exclusive to themselves without any competition from the developers of the app, which might be an antitrust issue, whether people want to believe it or not.

EloKa

GSP
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Steam didn't pull those games though. Epic did.

In this situation, Apple pulled the plug on Epic. And Apple's defense is not that they were blocked by exclusivity. Apple's defense is that they can't make the 30% cut from Fortnite exclusive to themselves without any competition from the developers of the app, which might be an antitrust issue, whether people want to believe it or not.
I think there's a small difference between calling something "unfair" or creating a literal propaganda video which you spam 24h on all of your social media channels. Even if some media outlets think that both actions have the same weight to it then they should at least treat both with the same harsh critic.

Olrac

Oct 26, 2017
California
My wife and I were just discussing this. With everything that is going on in the world, the timing is piss-poor. I also didn't like them trying to recruit my 11 year old to fight for their "right" to more money.

My 15 year old immediately saw past the bullshit and asked if they charged companies to be on the Epic store lol.

b00_thegh0st

Nov 6, 2017
Does the Fortnite crowd even get the 1984 reference? I mean it's been almost 40 years since the Macintosh...

Also Epic, where's my Unreal Tournament ?

Efejota

Mar 13, 2018
Isn't this illegal in Europe? I remember Nintendo having to adjust some stuff in StreetPass on the 3DS compared to the US because the bunny (emotionally?) manipulated players into purchasing the extra games. Which, while technically not the same situation, manipulating kids is still terrible...
Wait, so this is why we never got Rusty's Real Deal Baseball?
I always thought it was because no one plays baseball in Europe (we didn't get any Mario Sluggers either) but this puts it in another light too.

Kyry

Oct 27, 2017
I guess i'm not as offended by this as others.
Working children into a frenzy to go after Apple this week is no bigger of a problem then working them into a frenzy to go after their parent's wallet last week.

Alex3190

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
This is so messed up. Epic might just get their way because of they're crazy fans.

@dedmunk

Banned
Oct 11, 2018
Can't Epic games just pull themselves up by their own bootstraps and make their own successful mobile device to rival Apple and google?

Kinsei

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
My tweets were from before Fortnite's dumb in-game campaign or whatever aired. I don't endorse corporations weaponizing kids
I know I'm not the one you quote, but I'd like to apologize for my previous post. I was under the asumption that the short was released simultaneously with the announcement of the lawsuit.

subpar spatula

Refuses to Wash his Ass
Oct 26, 2017
Every company uses you for profit. Sony and Marvel did it with Spider-Man, Epic does it with Fortnite, Steam does it against Epic, Apple does it against all competitors, etc. We're all pawns in this capitalistic drive to fuel their CEOs and stockholders.

Agamon

Aug 1, 2019
I was very entertained by the defiant act of including the optional pay method in the app, but yeah, this video is not cool. Something else to help engender entitlement in young gamers.

(though if someone would have made it in a different context, the video would be amusing, seeing as Apple and their kin are now the Big Brothers)

animalcrosser

Banned
Apr 7, 2020
it's about time someone went after both Google and Apple. It's quite sad there are only 2 major players in the mobile phone OS game. They have developers, consumers and pretty much everyone by the balls.

Sheng Long

Oct 27, 2017
Earth
Not rooting for any company in this crazy trio. Seeing a huge company like Epic fighting against Apple kind of makes me just think about watching a Godzilla film.

Amibguous Cad

Oct 25, 2017
Consumers should have been pushing for someone to curtail Apple's monopolistic practices long before now. I'm not exactly pleased that it takes a rival corporation to coordinate and galvanize such a response, but I'm happy that it happened.

kaiush

Jan 22, 2018
Normal people arguing over which billion/trillion dollar corporation gets 30% of billions of more dollars. They've got us wrapped up good.

Jaq'or

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Jun 6, 2018
I'd be more excited if the people encouraging kids to fight back against an enormous corporation weren't also an enormous corporation.

dex3108

Oct 26, 2017
As I said before it really is hypocritical from them to do this after not doing anything related to spreading awareness about COVID, HK protests and even BLM (they did play that one video), or any other more important world issue. But when it's their ass in question they organized whole thing.

Deleted member 60295

User requested account closure
Banned
Sep 28, 2019

Correct me if I'm wrong, but wasn't PC Gamer actually running pro-EGS articles that were sponsored by Unreal Engine a year or two ago? I know there was at least one website that was doing that, and people here were calling that shit out. My memory is fuzzy though, so it might be another site I'm thinking of.

Edit: oh, and this article is still filled with the the same bullshit pro-EGS sites were pushing when the store first launched.
It makes sense that Epic would pick up this fight, as it has previously fought similar battles. After 'accidentally' switching on PS4 crossplay for Fortnite, it was able to force it through to the point where it's becoming a hugely requested feature in any online multiplayer game, if not an outright industry standard. After Steam wouldn't play ball, Epic built the only major rival Steam has ever had. Epic's stated purpose for this move was to benefit small developers, as Epic only takes an 88/12 revenue split, well below Steam's 70/30 for most self-publishing developers.

Jesus Christ, they're still regurgitating this nonsense? And worse: if you actually read the full article, they actually take a break in the middle JUST to promote how awesome Epic Games and Fortnite are, and how lame Apple is:
For the past few years, Epic has had the chaotic energy of Willy Wonka, replacing snozberries with Ninja, Harley Quinn, and Deadpool skins. It's given us front row seats to Travis Scott concerts and a sneak peek at a Star Wars movie. Apple hasn't had a serious innovation in years, and as far as modern popular culture goes, it's gone back to being a dude in a suit. Epic Games, with its youthful base of Fortnite fans, is definitely the cool guy here. But while Epic may be on the right side of this fight, that doesn't absolve it from the weird way it's gone about it. It definitely doesn't mean I'll be cheering it on like a sports team.

This is absolutely embarrassing. This is like if a site had published an article about how AMC theater chains were attempting to blackmail Universal into not doing more digital releases earlier this year, and admitted that their tactics were unethical... but the article was otherwise written with a pro-theater chain slant, and stopped in the middle to promote the AMC Stubs A-List program and the latest additions to the fucking concession stand, while simultaneously shitting on Universal films for being creatively bankrupt.

Very impressive how they managed to turn an article that is ostensibly about how this stunt Epic Games is pulling is morally repugnant, into a walking advertisement for literally everything else Epic Games is doing.

Last edited:

JohnsonUT

Oct 27, 2017
It's sad that decades of deregulation have led to a situation where the only way to fight some of the most powerful companies in the history of the world is for another corporation to use questionable means. So it goes.

When Epic loses, look for Apple and Google to clamp down even harder with their anti-competitive practices.

NervousXtian

Oct 27, 2017
If epic wins do consumers win? Nah. It's same shit different Corp getting money. Fuck Epic. Make your own mobile phone and do what you want.

Green

Oct 27, 2017
If epic wins do consumers win? Nah. It's same shit different Corp getting money. Fuck Epic. Make your own mobile phone and do what you want.

Fortnitefone. Lol.

Thing is, this is the same argument Microsoft used back during their antitrust case VS the USA. They pointed to the (nearly failing) Apple and Linux as proof that you could "make your own competing OS" to justify their antagonizing of smaller competitors (embrace, extend, extinguish) and monopolization of the entire industry. The fruits of which solidified them with decades of utmost dominant share of consumer and business desktop computing. Pretty much right up until iOS and Android came along, who now almost completely dominate the consumer and business mobile computing market, which is arguably just as big if not bigger than Windows' market. They are ubiquitous. Even Microsoft themselves with their infinite war chest were unable to penetrate the market dominated by Google and Apple here, so I doubt "just make your own phone" stands as a useful endeavour for companies with less resources than God. There's just no place for a 3rd player and Google+Apple have spend billions making sure of that.

felixdat

Alt account
Banned
Jul 2, 2020
It's a billion dollar corp vs. another billion dollar corp.

I don't root for either. Let them burn each other out for all I care.

In the end, corporations are in 99% of the cases bastards who deserve to burn to the ground.

you mean a tiny few billion dollar corp verse , 2 trillion dollar corp lol

Epic will get bankrupt

LAA

One Winged Slayer
Oct 28, 2017
Really? What's confusing about it?

Apple and Google clearly have a duopoly on mobile devices.

Oh OK if that what they meant...but they're not even challenging it. It's not like they're making their own OS/store, it's just a method to pay them directly instead at a slight discount to the consumer.

Crayon

Oct 26, 2017
petulant.jpg

^^^^ Yeah this.

floridaguy954

Oct 29, 2017