• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

NeonBorealis

One Winged Slayer
Avenger
Jan 10, 2018
Even if this is successful, and even if this does end up helping out smaller developers (which I don't think it's epic's main objective), I find the manipulation of their main target audience extremely distasteful. I found the video extremely off putting (and highly ironic, considering the basis of the basis of the commercial).

They are using one of the most vulnerable age groups as a figurative hammer. Really shameless.

Kaivan

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Fortnite literally offered the -20% vbucks as a candy to show that if it wasn't for the 30% cut, vbucks would be cheaper. Though whether it is a one-off marketing trick, or a genuine promise to keep the price at 80%, it is up for debate and interpretations.

There is a clause in App Store that if your customers sub for the service longer than 12 months, Apple's cut shrinks from 30% to 15%. Similar thing happens on Steam with large revenues, the cut shrinking to 20% for massive sellers. I don't think that anything trickles down to customers in reality.
They do that because they can and it's necessary to support this very campaign. It won't be permanent either, ever wonder why?

Also, how can they convince other publishers to do the same though? They can't even einvorce cheaper game prices in their very own store despite the cut being 12% or whatever.

How can you people be so naive?

IronFalcon1997

One Winged Slayer
Jun 11, 2018
I said this on Twitter, but I'll say it again here. A 30% cut is ridiculous, but it is the industry standard. If Epic wanted to change that, then they should've just pulled their game and encouraged others to do the same instead of illegally breaking contract and demonizing Apple for following the standard. Rather, what they did shows a blatant greed for more money that is spun as a "revolution" which manipulated people into falling into their own greed. Both companies just want money. It's stupid, and the only thing to be fighting against is the fact that 30% is an industry standard, and we certainly shouldn't be praising Epic for this.

Detail

Dec 30, 2018
Tim Sweeney is not your friend, he isn't "fighting the good fight" he is a greedy billionaire trying to weaponise consumers in order to win a forbes list contest.

I am glad the majority of this forum know what game this guy is playing.

CenaToon

Oct 25, 2017
I still dont know how epic can win against google and apple combined.

Still, it's not the first time they do that (sony crossplay)

Tim Sweeney is not your friend, he isn't "fighting the good fight" he is a greedy billionaire trying to weaponise consumers in order to win a forbes list contest.

I am glad the majority of this forum know what game this guy is playing.

NOBODY is our friend in this industry. Everyone is playing their cards according to social media's tendencies. But nobody gives a fuck about us.

Dylan

Oct 28, 2017
As if there wasn't an actual fascist coup happening right now in the USA.

I'm sure Orwell wouldn't have been thrilled about the original Apple ad but the Epic video is just dreadful. They are both horrible misappropriations of Orwell's work.

Oct 31, 2017
It's incredibly fucked up, incredibly dystopian, incredibly tone deaf, and incredibly ironic. And things like this are the natural result of the long running course of stuff like this in the technology and media space so to me it's honestly not surprising.

None of these super wealthy technology companies are very trustworthy I think, especially ones with predatory psychological conditioning systems to keep consumers constantly hooked in/engaged.

These kinds of companies and the products they push are cult generators I think, and shit like this is just more explicit evidence of it. First they transformed consumers into their marketing and engagement arms, now they are transforming them into their PR too.

Making your audience into an effective cudgel to fight for your ability to perpetually monetize the very same people is some gross shit but fully on brand/expected at this point in time for me.

This kind of shit is only going to get worse.

LAA

One Winged Slayer
Oct 28, 2017
Yeah bizarre and crazy. As the OP says, seems Epic were expecting it seeing how fast the video got uploaded. Some people will spam for them, but just see it as one super mega rich corporation wanting more money at the expense of another mega rich corporation, so.. I dont really care and its not my battle. You could argue are Apple doing enough to earn the 30%, but that's their terms and Epic seemingly knowingly went against it. I dont even know what they mean by monopoly.

Not that I really care either, but not surprised to see Geoff for it too. Hes always striked me as someone who would do whatever for a corporation when it benefits him, and I'm fine with it if that earns him a living, but I've never really seen him as someone credible and really I more just see him as a mouth piece for companies than anything else.

softfocus

Oct 30, 2017
Can't Epic just release an independent store on Android and stick it to iOS? I know they want their cake and eat it but this is Apple. Or do what Spotify does and warns you if you're trying to subscribe in app, and directs you to the website.

MatrixMan.exe

Oct 25, 2017
It's disgusting, quite frankly. As game developers we have a duty of care to our audience, especially if they're young and/or vulnerable groups. This is openly exploitative to the highest degree and they should be dragged for it.

Fart Master

Prophet of Truth
The Fallen
Oct 28, 2017
A dumpster
Of course they had the video ready. They knew what would happen, it was a carefully orchestrated campaign.

I'm happy it is happening. Not rooting for either party, but hopefully this and the xCloud debacle can lead to some leniency on the App Store.

Do you think they would sue Google/Apple without months of preparation? Of course this was planned out. I don't understand this criticism.
You realize I wasn't really being critical at all right? My point was just how blatant this is on epics side considering they know the outcome if they cut apple out lol

Twister

Feb 11, 2019
It's Epic, about what I expect from them. They exploit children for their parents' wallets, exploit legitimate arguments against crunch and developer rights to push their garbage store, it's just what they do. It's why I will never support any game they work on no matter how good it may be.

Castamere

Oct 26, 2017
Why are people saying they're doing this for the greater good? Weaponizing kids doesn't help if they expect to win the actual lawsuit. You create a PR storm if you want Apple to settle out or give special allowances to you only. You fight a big long legal battle if you want to change the status quo forever. It doesn't seem like that's their aim here.

Maybe by allowing Epic to circumvent the cut it'll trickle down, but I don't see how Epic cares at all about anyone else here. By buying into that you're supporting their propaganda.

Grayson

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Aug 21, 2019
I don't exactly see how it's gross in the same way I don't think people in this thread saying they're in support to varying levels are "gross."
Well people clearly have different values.

On topic Epic and Geoff crossed the line here. Imhine using #freefortnite without any fucking shame. Tone deaf and repulsive.

Keasar

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Umeå, Sweden
It's a billion dollar corp vs. another billion dollar corp.

I don't root for either. Let them burn each other out for all I care.

In the end, corporations are in 99% of the cases bastards who deserve to burn to the ground.

Aminga

Oct 27, 2017
We all realise that the 1984 thing is a parody of an old Apple ad, right?

"On January 24th, Apple will introduce Macintosh. And you'll see why 1984 won't be like "1984"".

Considering you'd have to be born in the 70s to even remember seeing that commercial broadcasted, no I don't think many are aware. I was a toddler when it came out and I barely remember it lol.

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah fuck indie devs amirite?

Approaching a complex situation this reductively isn't helpful. I am an indie dev and the things Epic are fighting for don't seem like a universal good for me at all.

Down at the sort of numbers that I and the vast majority of small devs operate at, the difference between a middleman taking a 30% cut and a 12% or even 5% cut are not nearly as significant as they are for larger players. What matters more to me are the things that level the playing field and allow me to compete at all against massive companies. Epic wants to remake the market so they can better leverage their advantages. That's fine and it's their right, but they aren't doing it to help me. They are doing it either to beat me or insert themselves as a new middleman that I have to deal with.

This isn't a defense of Apple or Google. There are plenty of ways that I think they are abusing their power, but it is far, far more complicated than "Yeah fuck indie devs amirite?"

Mifec

Oct 25, 2017

I'm sure Orwell wouldn't have been thrilled about the original Apple ad but the Epic video is just dreadful. They are both horrible misappropriations of Orwell's work.
if orwell had known that a company that made computers which are intentionally impossible to open up and repair or customize had used his novel's ideas and references in order to advertise themselves as revolutionaries rising up against....another computer company, he would probably have started sobbing, which would have been very funny

Dark Ninja

Oct 27, 2017
The fact that they had a video ready means they have been planning this for a bit too at least a month or so. Its a pretty well thought out plan except the fact that Apple didnt cave immediately.

nampad

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I totally agree.
There is much to be discussed about the way Apple handles things but Epic is just despicable.

Khanimus

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Greater Vancouver

Protestors and journalists being detained and thrown into non-descipt vehicle sure is small potatoes compared to Epic's brave fight against the fascist rule of mean ol' Apple. /s

Oct 25, 2017
Are governments going to step in and regulate how games market and sell things to kids?

With how big this dispute could get, might draw attention to how certain games are so damn exploitative towards kids.

AndreGX

GameXplain
Verified
Oct 24, 2017
San Francisco
You seemed very vitriolic in this tweet towards Apple specifically, no?

Seems weird to single out Apple on this when every console manufacturer is in the exact same boat

Cool, whataboutism. Why would I specifically comment on another storefront when they weren't a part of this story?

And yes, I was vitriolic toward Apple because Apple sucks (as do most publicly owned companies, ftr). As the dominant force of the industry; a change from them would have ramifications that ripple outward and effect change everywhere, which is something I wholeheartedly endorse.

Dark Ninja

Oct 27, 2017
I haven't seen Jon's, so can't say much it. In my case, I only cared about app store policy reform at the time I made those tweets. Epic can kick rocks for all I care
Andre you dont have to justify random tweets on a situation like this dont fall for people's whataboutisms to get you into a "gotcha" moment.

spam musubi

Oct 25, 2017
Cool, whataboutism. Why would I specifically comment on another storefront when they weren't a part of this story?

Apple is the dominant force of the industry; a change from them would have ramifications that affect everyone, which I wholeheartedly endorse

How are they the dominant force of the industry when they aren't a majority in literally any category they are in in regards to this? They are a large force, sure, but dominant?

I don't think it's a whataboutism to state that these policies aren't "apple's" but they are the industry's standard accepted by literally every platform/manufacturer. Acting like Apple is somehow unique in this and are leading the charge is just disingenuous.

Edit: actually never mind there's no reason to argue over this. I apologize and back down. Just a long tiring day. I was wrong to involve you.

SFLUFAN

Oct 27, 2017
Alexandria, VA
PC Gamer feels the same way.

Epic is right to fight Apple, but drafting Fortnite fans into a corporate war is tacky
Epic will point to the positive knock on effects of all this—breaking Apple's monopoly, more revenue for smaller companies, the upholding of a principled stance against closed OSes—but recruiting children into an army of brand defenders though an in-game event is incredibly strange and could have a long-term effect on how the already-dysfunctional online world operates. For the most part on PC, we've managed to avoid fostering strangely passionate allegiances to corporations, at least compared to the defenses of Sony, Microsoft, and Nintendo seen elsewhere. Putting corporate propaganda in your game feels like a direct attempt to change that.

BionicHippo

Apr 30, 2020
I haven't seen Jon's, so can't say much it. In my case, I only cared about app store policy reform at the time I made those tweets. Epic can kick rocks for all I care

It was just to me your tweet was a lot of negative stuff at Apple but fort nite was leading the charge and nothing about how badly epic are handling it.

AndreGX

GameXplain
Verified
Oct 24, 2017
San Francisco
I don't think it's a whataboutism to state that these policies aren't "apple's" but they are the industry's standard accepted by literally every platform/manufacturer. Acting like Apple is somehow unique in this and are leading the charge is just disingenuous.

Just because something is "accepted industry standard" doesn't mean it isn't bullshit. Crunch was/is accepted industry standard too; should we not focus on the specific cases as they occur? I never said Apple is unique, so I have no idea why you insist I did

It was just to me your tweet was a lot of negative stuff at Apple but fort nite was leading the charge and nothing about how badly epic are handling it.

My tweets were from before Fortnite's dumb in-game campaign or whatever aired. I don't endorse corporations weaponizing kids

Edit in response to Spam's edit:
Edit: actually never mind there's no reason to argue over this. I apologize and back down. Just a long tiring day. I was wrong to involve you.

Apology accepted. Cheers :)

Last edited: