• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

gzell60

Oct 26, 2017
Munich
I don't think this is damaging to the lawyer's career. Her peers will most likely understand this is either an almost impossible case to win, in which case they will just deem it understandable if Epic loses, and an amazing feat if they win.

Fair enough. Still, I feel like many of these statements shed a bad light on her.

Jun 20, 2019
One of their biggest arguments is that Apple is "illegally" tying their (otherwise potentially legal) monopoly on app distribution to IAP, which they claim should be considered a separate market.

They argue this because, despite what a lot of people in threads like this think, having a monopoly is not by itself illegal. It only becomes illegal if you use that monopoly power to unfairly prevent competition. Such a tie could potentially be considered a qualifying abuse of monopoly power, but its a pretty big stretch. Like most of Epic's case.
Thanks, that makes a lot of sense. I won't assume Epic's lawyers are stupid, Katherine Forrest is the opposite of stupid, so I thought either I didn't understand the argument or she just flubbed on the dates that Epic first participated in the App Store.

Trilobite

Banned
Dec 15, 2017
my fanfic summary of this injunction/ trial:

"Your honor, Apple has a watertight contract that is non negotiable for entities that want to operate in our marketplace. The 30% cut that we at Apple take, is for the privilege of putting a company's product on our marketplace in exchange for exposure and monetary gain. Offering a direct payment, circumventing the apple store 30% tariff, is in direct violation of our terms and services"

Judge:"... Yeah well, that pretty much puts a ribbon on this thing".

Epic is is judged to be in the wrong and if they ever want to have the opportunity to sell their software in AppStore again they will have to pay, same as every other company.

the common folk rejoice even though they do not have a horse in this race and Apple and Epic will continue to make billions and not pay their due in taxes. Everybody wins!

Fin.

Deleted member 27751

User-requested account closure
Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Yikes.

Anyways, I wonder why the judge is arguing that just because walled gardens have existed, it means they "should" continue to.
Because walled gardens aren't illegal? Epic is trying to argue that a product and ecosystem setting it's service costs is somehow a monopoly of that type of service despite clear indication it is not. Apple is the defined innovator of smartphones and app store, however they are not the only one who is able to offer such a product/ecosystem. This is Epic's main argument and it didn't stick because it's correlated to the actual real world where they are not monopolistic, thankfully a clear point the judge made in the hearing.

There are also huge ramifications related to the industry that can come from a haphazard ruling, and considering Epic's arguments presented, they definitely don't give a shit. Trying to claim 71 million people are out of luck right now is disingenuous due to the fact those same 71 million can easily access alternative measures for playing, Apple is holding a gun to their head saying play on ios. There is no case here from Epic, in part due to the pied piper actions of Tim Sweeney (who has clearly fucked the case up due to his public outcries), but also because they are trying to claim monopolistic behaviours while also they themselves displaying such attitudes.

On top of that, Epic's display of stupidity in breaching the contract intentionally with clearly defined marketing schemes organised many weeks in advance is working against them. They even state that in order to work against an entity you don't agree with you have to prepare, which means they had the intention to breach contract, a big no no in legal world. They have no argument basis there and even try to use the concerts as proof of users missing out on Apple's choice to ban Fortnite.

Epic's flagrant disregard for laws or attempts to brute force their own interests into others is just becoming more and more apparent as time goes on. They want to leech of other's ecosystems and break down their perfectly permissible walled gardens, all while asking the owner to pay for their use of the walled garden. 30% is a high amount, and that can be argued for reducing, however that is not the approach Epic went with, instead landing flat on their face in a sorry attempt for "monopoly" shenanigans.

danm999

Oct 29, 2017
Sydney
Bad, but very predictable, turn for Tim Epic's case today. The court does not appear to be enjoying Epic's shenanigans either and refusing to allow the funds from Fortnite to be put into eschrow whilst the dispute is being litigated isn't going to do them any favours.

Would epic have a better case somehow if they hadn't pulled the direct IAP stunt?

The judge immediately saying "how come you're fine with Sony, Nintendo and MS taking 30%" lets you know the judge thinks the case has problems on its merits.

Last edited:

Niosai

One Winged Slayer
Oct 28, 2017
Because...

There it is. Which nobody here seems to understand. It's amazing how little the average ERA poster understands about the legal process, right up there with understanding of how businesses function. Games industry inclusive.
I understand how the legal process works. I also understand that this case is a complicated one due to precedent. To say that questioning the continued existence of walled gardens isn't relevant to this case leads me to believe that you don't understand. That, or you're intentionally being disingenuous.

mentok15

Dec 20, 2017
Australia
The judge immediately saying "how come you're fine with Sony, Nintendo and MS taking 30%" lets you know the judge thinks the case has problems on its merits.
Which is funny a judge saying g that when many people online have said their quite different circumstances. If Epic wins it sets a very good precedent for them or others to the go against console platform holders.

Dalek

Oct 25, 2017
The best part is that in all these threads people have made this exact argument and it's always handwaved away by Epic's supporters saying there's no legal merit to that argument.

Then the actual judge almost immediately brings it up.

EVIL

Senior Concept Artist
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
Bad, but very predictable, turn for Tim Epic's case today. The court does not appear to be enjoying Epic's shenanigans either and refusing to allow the funds from Fortnite to be put into eschrow whilst the dispute is being litigated isn't going to do them any favours.

Exactly, and epic knows it pretty much looses its entire business if it would set the same standards to consoles and would try to fight that fight.

In the end its epic fighting for epic. They are not fighting for the developer here, or little guy, because if they would, they would have dropped their hotfix so Apple would allow unreal engine back on IOS to protect their customers and continue fighting this legal fight the right way as Apple has made clear it would, but instead they cared more about themselves, took their customers as hostages and continued their marketing spiel, playing victim to their own shootout.

Last edited:

eyeball_kid

Oct 25, 2017
I think Epic would have been better off going for an attack on Apple's lack of consistency in applying the rules, and on Apple making selective exemptions for certain industries and product niches. Apple absolutely needs to be taken to task for requiring a 30% cut of any money that changes hands, but Epic was the worst company to make that case.

danm999

Oct 29, 2017
Sydney
Which is funny a judge saying g that when many people online have said their quite different circumstances. If Epic wins it sets a very good precedent for them or others to the go against console platform holders.
The best part is that in all these threads people have made this exact argument and it's always handwaved away by Epic's supporters saying there's no legal merit to that argument.

Then the actual judge almost immediately brings it up.
Exactly, and epic knows it pretty much looses its entire business if it would set the same standards to consoles and would try to fight that fight.

In the end its epic fighting for epic. They are not fighting for the developer here, or little guy, because if they would, they would have dropped their hotfix so Apple would allow unreal engine back on IOS to protect the devs and continue fighting this legal fight the right way as Apple has made clear it would, but instead they cared more about themselves and their marketing spiel playing victim to their own shootout.

Right, the natural assumption that a precedent would exclude consoles is very shaky, it's not clear the Sherman Act provides any justification for that. As others have said the Sherman Act regulates markets, so it would obviously apply to both the console and smartphone markets.

Now I don't know this judge's judicial philosophy or reasoning, so I have to speculate on why she's bringing this up.

She may be thinking ahead to what will happen if she grants Epic's case as it is. She doesn't know how the precedent wouldn't apply elsewhere, and may not want to cause that much industry wide disruption. Especially if she's inclined to agree with Apple that this is a business dispute rather than an antitrust violation. A lot of judges hate causing this short of judicial disruption over matters small in scale.

Alternatively she may be signaling to Epic, that if they want any chance of winning here, they're either going to have to argue that yes, all walled gardens are antitrust violations (this would undoubtedly strain their relations with all the console manufacturers) or actually tighten up their legal argument as to why this applies to Apple and not others and not just ignore it. The second one would probably be better in the short term for Epic, but I have no clue how to do that.

Then again I'm not Cravath, who Epic pays the big bucks to, so obviously I wouldn't be able to do it lol

Border

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I made a similar post a few pages back; I think Epic might argue that the situation is somehow different between App purchases and IAPs. Infinity Blade didn't have any MTX AFAIK.
Infinity Blade definitely had MTX. You could purchase Gold to buy weapons, gear, items, etc.

Chair Entertainment released four expansions as free updates to the game. The first, released December 20, 2010, added a new enemy, equipment, and microtransactions. It also removed an experience level cap

Border

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Right, the natural assumption that a precedent would exclude consoles is very shaky, it's not clear the Sherman Act provides any justification for that. As others have said the Sherman Act regulates markets, so it would obviously apply to both the console and smartphone markets.
People have made the argument that there isn't a "console market" but rather a videogames market that encompasses PC, mobile, streaming, browser games, etc. The console market is simply a subset of this larger market.

The problem is that you can similarly argue the same thing about the "smartphone market" simply being a smaller part of an overall "app market". Like games, apps can also be run on tablets, phones, set-top boxes, embedded systems, PCs, Macs, etc.

danm999

Oct 29, 2017
Sydney
People have made the argument that there isn't a "console market" but rather a videogames market that encompasses PC, mobile, streaming, browser games, etc. The console market is simply a subset of this larger market.

The problem is that you can similarly argue the same thing about the "smartphone market" simply being a smaller part of an overall "app market". Like games, apps can also be run on tablets, phones, set-top boxes, embedded systems, PCs, Macs, etc.

There's always a chance the Court does something weird and inconsistent about where the Sherman Act applies.

There's a Supreme Court case from the 70s where they ruled baseball gets an antitrust exemption, but other sports do not.

Though you wouldn't want to bet money on it, given how that case is viewed by history.

Border

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Well then Epic makes even less sense then lol
Yeah, for whatever reason they were happy to split revenues with Apple for nearly a decade.....but just now decided that they have a monopoly. It makes less sense when you consider how absolutely dominant iOS/Apple was back in 2010 (the iPhone 4 era), and Android was only just beginning to make inroads.

Dalek

Oct 25, 2017
I really enjoyed those Infinity Blade games too. It was a fun loop.

It's a shame no one else followed up on that formula.

Border

Banned
Oct 25, 2017

It was a pretty fun mobile game in the vein of Punch-Out. I guess they just couldn't keep people interested beyond the initial novelty of it. I was really hoping that Infinity Blade Dungeons would be a cool mobile Diablo, but it got canned along with the rest of the series.

collige

Oct 31, 2017
It was a pretty fun mobile game in the vein of Punch-Out. I guess they just couldn't keep people interested beyond the initial novelty of it. I was really hoping that Infinity Blade Dungeons would be a cool mobile Diablo, but it got canned along with the rest of the series.

It sucks because while Epic did release all the assets for the game to UE, the source still isn't available so no one can port it to newer versions of iOS or other platforms.

Border

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
It sucks because while Epic did release all the assets for the game to UE, the source still isn't available so no one can port it to newer versions of iOS or other platforms.
Is the game currently unplayable in iOS? I just tried to launch IB2 and it literally crashed/rebooted my iPhone. I've never seen a game do that before.

Mentalist

Mar 14, 2019
Because walled gardens aren't illegal? Epic is trying to argue that a product and ecosystem setting it's service costs is somehow a monopoly of that type of service despite clear indication it is not. Apple is the defined innovator of smartphones and app store, however they are not the only one who is able to offer such a product/ecosystem. This is Epic's main argument and it didn't stick because it's correlated to the actual real world where they are not monopolistic, thankfully a clear point the judge made in the hearing.

There are also huge ramifications related to the industry that can come from a haphazard ruling, and considering Epic's arguments presented, they definitely don't give a shit. Trying to claim 71 million people are out of luck right now is disingenuous due to the fact those same 71 million can easily access alternative measures for playing, Apple is holding a gun to their head saying play on ios. There is no case here from Epic, in part due to the pied piper actions of Tim Sweeney (who has clearly fucked the case up due to his public outcries), but also because they are trying to claim monopolistic behaviours while also they themselves displaying such attitudes.

On top of that, Epic's display of stupidity in breaching the contract intentionally with clearly defined marketing schemes organised many weeks in advance is working against them. They even state that in order to work against an entity you don't agree with you have to prepare, which means they had the intention to breach contract, a big no no in legal world. They have no argument basis there and even try to use the concerts as proof of users missing out on Apple's choice to ban Fortnite.

Epic's flagrant disregard for laws or attempts to brute force their own interests into others is just becoming more and more apparent as time goes on. They want to leech of other's ecosystems and break down their perfectly permissible walled gardens, all while asking the owner to pay for their use of the walled garden. 30% is a high amount, and that can be argued for reducing, however that is not the approach Epic went with, instead landing flat on their face in a sorry attempt for "monopoly" shenanigans.
Epic has a point in that a hardware manufacturer that only allows its own OS on its hardware and imposes restrictions on distribution of software for its OS constitutes a monopoly of sort. However, they have made no compelling argument as to why this practice, common in the tech world and bearing the name "walled garden ecosystem" is actually illegal.

Their argument isn't stupid. Unrealistic, implausible, yes. But it is coherent and sound- if you accept their definition of a market in question

It's an interesting legal question that deserves to be examined on its merits, imho. But that doesn't mean I feel that the ramifications Epic is aiming for are in any way desirable.

Border

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I think they said it was too much effort to keep QAing it for newer releases, so that doesn't surprise me.
As much money as they're making on Fortnite, it'd be nice if they could provide some legacy support for Infinity Blade even if it doesn't make that much financial sense.

Funny how Epic went from being one of the premier titles for iOS to being the platform's biggest opponent.

Geode

Keeper of the White Materia
Oct 27, 2017
Let's say Apple wins this, would it be possible for Microsoft to go full force in forcing people go to their Store like Valve was afraid of years ago? Would this set some kind of precedent in which it's their OS, so their rules? I'm just trying to see how this affect things other than iOS.

Armaros

Oct 25, 2017
As much money as they're making on Fortnite, it'd be nice if they could provide some legacy support for Infinity Blade even if it doesn't make that much financial sense.

Funny how Epic went from being one of the premier titles for iOS to being the platform's biggest opponent.
Epic has abandoned just about every game that is not called fortnite.

Tobor

Oct 25, 2017
Richmond, VA
Let's say Apple wins this, would it be possible for Microsoft to go full force in forcing people go to their Store like Valve was afraid of years ago? Would this set some kind of precedent in which it's their OS, so their rules? I'm just trying to see how this affect things other than iOS.

Why do you think Microsoft is pushing for Gamepass everywhere?

Armaros

Oct 25, 2017
Would epic have a better case somehow if they hadn't pulled the direct IAP stunt?
It would have just gone on to the main part of the case instead of this injunction. But the legal arguments would have stayed the same, but Epic would have still continued to make money from fornite in the mean time.

The only difference is that Epic wouldn't have a reason to do their stupid PR campaign.

Sol Mori

Jun 10, 2018

No, Apple winning maintains the status quo and changes nothing in how walled gardens operate.

This would also not be the same situation in the slightest. At no point could you release an app without going through Apple. Microsoft attempting to lock down Windows in a similar manner would be treated differently. The issue is when the wall of the walled garden was built. If it was there from the start (Apple) it will be treated differently if it came after (Hypothetical Windows).

Starting a closed platform is fine. Starting an open one is fine. Starting a closed one and then opening it is also fine. Closing an already open platform after achieving a significant market will most likely be seen as anticompetitive and abuse.

Gatti-man

Banned
Jan 31, 2018

This is exactly why what Apple is doing is legal and not a monopoly. Apple created something in a vacuum. Has not changed pricing since inception and has not created a monopolistic environment with harsher pricing since inception. There is zero reason for any court to rule in epics favor because that precedent basically means creators don't have a right to reap the rewards of their own investment and work. Sony MS Amazon Nintendo EBay any popular store front would be potentially impacted by judging in epics favor.

finalflame

Product Management
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
This is exactly why what Apple is doing is legal and not a monopoly. Apple created something in a vacuum. Has not changed pricing since inception and has not created a monopolistic environment with harsher pricing since inception. There is zero reason for any court to rule in epics favor because that precedent basically means creators don't have a right to reap the rewards of their own investment and work. Sony MS Amazon Nintendo EBay any popular store front would be potentially impacted by judging in epics favor.
Yup. There's virtually zero chance Epic gets a favorable ruling.

PoppaBK

Oct 27, 2017
Epic were the wrong company to bring this suit. I think spotify and the like would have had a strong case, but Epic are gonna poison the well for everyone.

Deleted member 9330

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I think Epic would have been better off going for an attack on Apple's lack of consistency in applying the rules, and on Apple making selective exemptions for certain industries and product niches. Apple absolutely needs to be taken to task for requiring a 30% cut of any money that changes hands, but Epic was the worst company to make that case.

I agree with this. There are plenty of things that you likely could get Apple to change including the inconsistency but Epic just fucked the whole thing up

Hailinel

Shamed a mod for a tag
Oct 27, 2017
It's hard for me to fathom just how hard Epic has bumblefucked their way through this whole mess they created for themselves.

StallionDan

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Yeah the whole industry would essentially implode, it wouldn't just be Epic Store that would appear on iOS, it would be all kinds of digital stores and launchers from big and small devs appearing on App Store, Google Play Store, Playstation Store, Microsoft Store, Nintendo Store, Steam, etc etc. Does anyone actually want that? Besides Epic I mean.
PS4 has the PS Store where Sony sells movies, yet it allows apps like Amazon Prime, where you can also buy movies (the same ones even) and Sony doesn't get jack.

Hailinel

Shamed a mod for a tag
Oct 27, 2017
PS4 has the PS Store where Sony sells movies, yet it allows apps like Amazon Prime, where you can also buy movies (the same ones even) and Sony doesn't get jack.
Now imagine Epic, Capcom, Square Enix, Electronic Arts, Ubisoft, Koei Tecmo, Bandai Namco, Take Two, Sega, and everyone else big and small had their own storefront on PSN and there was nothing that Sony could do to regulate the content purchasable on any of them.