• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Oct 25, 2017
Tampa
www.ign.com

Nintendo Specifically Bars Japanese Partners From Working With the Yakuza - IGN

Documents released during the Epic vs. Apple trial have revealed that the Japanese company won’t work with partners tied to organized crime.
Nintendo has an official clause in its contracts that stipulates any Japanese developers or publishers it works with cannot be tied to organised crime groups such as the Yakuza.

Documents and details about the inner workings of the games industry are currently being revealed as part of the ongoing Epic Games vs Apple trial. A highly confidential and heavily-redacted Nintendo document has been doing the rounds as a result. Within that document is a section on "Anti-Social Forces," spotted by Stephen Totilo of Axios Gaming.

The document notes that if a 'Content Provider' is based in Japan, it can not be an "Anti-Social Force" or "Boryokudan" (a Japanese term that means 'violence groups', or organized crime groups). Effectively, the document imposes a black and white ban on partners working with the Yakuza.

SunBroDave

Oct 25, 2017
tenor.gif

Dyle

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
I still believe Kiryu will join Smash someday

RochHoch

One Winged Slayer
May 22, 2018
This is such a random thing to come out of the Epic vs Apple case

Fisty

Oct 25, 2017
Huh I wonder if this is some legacy clause from back in the Nintendo vs Sega days, oddly specific

Bonejack

Oct 27, 2017
Nintendo person 1: "Do we really have to add a clause that tells our partners not to work with things like .. the Mafia?"
Nintendo person 2: "Dude, you need warnings to not put your gerbil into the microwave!"
Nintendo person 1: "Okay, okay. 'Do not cooperate with organized crime groups' ... "

May 17, 2018
User Banned (3 Days): Meta Commentary; Platform Warring; Prior Ban for the Same
Fucking disgusting anti-Yakuza-consumer practice from the evil corporation!

/s but, that's how we're supposed to react to all the news coming out of this case

Lube Man

Alt-Account
Banned
Jan 18, 2021
Of course. Ninjas and Yakuza have a long history of violence and betrayal. They cannot coincide.

For the Nin Kuei.

rAndom

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Didn't expect to get this tidbit out of some other companies' courtroom rivalry.

delete12345

One Winged Slayer
Nov 17, 2017
Boston, MA

Chuck

Oct 25, 2017
Nintendo wouldn't even exist without the Yakuza and this is how they treat them???

Sho Nuff

Jan 6, 2019
Kyoto, JP
I don't think this is out of the ordinary in Japan. When I got my new apartment last week I had to sign a form saying I wasn't connected to the Yakuza, and I'm pretty sure I've signed that same form before when getting a new job.

Oregano

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Probably just a competitive response to Sega's proximity to organized crime in general back then, I would imagine

Sure, I was just kidding about that crazy anecdote that popped up a few years ago.

There's also rumours that Yamauchi refused to pay protection money for Super Famicom deliveries and basically had to have decoys and get them to shops during the night to avoid the shipments being stolen.

b-dubs

That's some catch, that catch-22
General Manager
Oct 25, 2017
Iwata: Please do not work with the mafia.

aiswyda

Aug 11, 2018
From IGN article linked in OP:

Hmmm, so you're telling me there's a chance?
I'm sure it's just me misrembering things but didn't the Yakuza team have Yakuza members like provide feedback on their games, would that not count in the most technical sense?
Edit: it could also be they played the game for a bit or smth, I honestly cannot remember the context

MatrixMan.exe

Oct 25, 2017
Sure, I was just kidding about that crazy anecdote that popped up a few years ago.

There's also rumours that Yamauchi refused to pay protection money for Super Famicom deliveries and basically had to have decoys and get them to shops during the night to avoid the shipments being stolen.

What movie is this and how to I watch it?

Alent

Oct 28, 2017
I don't know why this is so funny, i mean it makes sense but it's still funny lol. Don't work with criminals!