• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Kyougar

Cute Animal Whisperer
Nov 3, 2017
Disclaimer: This thread exists as a source for all "leaked" documents from the court case.
As the documents are widely different in what they show, a Megathread to DISUCSS all documents in one thread is not really helpfull.

This thread exist as a starting point to get to all the other threads that discuss the specific document.
If there is a new document out, feel free to post it here, or make another thread with the document as the news and post the thread link here. If I forget a thread, please let me know, thank you.

1. Borderlands 3 exclusivity payout
E5Hx22U.png

www.resetera.com

Borderlands 3 on EGS in First 2 weeks : 1.56M Overall Sales ,$100M Revenue ($77M from EGS) ,Deal Cost is $115M including $80M Recoupable Min Guarantee

From leaked Case Files Edit : Correct me If I am Wrong , But I guess the Minimum Guarantee is Recoupable to Epic once the game reaches that target ? For example , Epic pays $80M as minimum Guarantee , Once BL3 reaches 80M , Epic recoups those money ? I think the Permenant cost that isnt...

2. Daily Active Users (DAU), daily revenue, and new store users on EGS

E0fe7kAXMAUqxgw

E0fe7hrWYAEpxSE

E0fe7h0X0AoFCHq

3. Free games buyout prices
E0fFtYXVcAAqzRV

www.resetera.com

Leaked doc shows buyout prices for games from the free EGS games program, copies redeemed, new account creations/game and more for the first 9 months

Assuming "Entitlements" implies number of Copies redeemed and "UA" cost might be User Acquisition cost, so cost per new acquisition (Game buyout price divided by new users gained). Correct me if I'm wrong. ------------------------------------------------------------ Full doc:

4. possible Dead Island 2 and Saints Row 5 Exclusivity
unknown.png

5. Fortnite made 9 Billions
(Document/Picture was not included in the thread)
myXqOYn.png

www.resetera.com

Fortnite made more than $9 billion in revenue in its first two years, court documents show News

https://www.theverge.com/platform/amp/2021/5/3/22417447/fortnite-revenue-9-billion-epic-games-apple-antitrust-case?utm_campaign=theverge&utm_content=chorus&utm_medium=social&utm_source=twitter&__twitter_impression=true God damn. No wonder Epic is able to afford so much.

6. conversation between Epic and Sony regarding Crossplay
E0eg40OXsAIjG_G

E0eh9-gXsAMupde

7. 7% of users who claimed free games bought something on EGS
unknown.png

www.resetera.com

Apparently 7% of users who claimed free game on Epic store purchased something after that

Numbers are apparently from mid last year and possibly don't include Fortnite players.

8. Cross-platform revenue guarantees from Sony. (read threadmarks and staff posts to understand more)

unknown.png

www.resetera.com

Epic lawsuit shows Sony asks publishers for compensation if MTX / playerbase ratio falls below certain amount compared to the cross-platform revenue

So a nice tidbit that appeared during the Epic vs Apple lawsuit: Devs need to pay for crossplay once the Revenue Share / Gameplay Share for PSN is below 85%. I guess we can say Sony is encouraging developers not to have crossplatform play.

We also have the Epic Vs Apple Real Time thread.
www.resetera.com

Epic Games Vs. Apple court case has begun

Imagine all the bugs and crashes we would see if the consoles becomes a PC with many different storefronts. Who are going to make sure those play well with Sonys console? Sony would have to work together with developers from all other storefronts and it would be a clusterfuxx of a mess...

Disclaimer: Microsoft denied the Rumor for right now
Kyougar Great OP and great work finding all of those . I think there is another one to add? details below:-

There are docs that list Xbox changing their PC cut to 12% and also their console store to 12% (but that hasn't been announced and doc is from January so may be old).

They also detail some possible scloosies for Xbox. I think/assume all the docs came from the court case submissions?

www.resetera.com

Rumor: Microsoft will lower cut to 12% for Xbox games; S.T.A.L.K.E.R. 2 is a 3-month console exclusive [Up: MS - No revenue change at this time] Rumor

https://wccftech.com/stalker-2-is-a-3-month-console-exclusive-microsoft-will-increase-revenue-share-for-xbox-games-too/ https://www.theverge.com/2021/5/2/22415712/microsoft-xbox-store-cut-epic-games-court-documents
included documents:
microsoft_document_1-1920x1361.jpg

QRSIzcT.png

Walmarts Cloud Gaming service "Project Storm"
C3v4bG6.png

e6XQGZt.jpg

www.resetera.com

Walmart’s unannounced cloud gaming service detailed in confidential Epic emails [Codenamed Project Storm] News

Walmart’s unannounced cloud gaming service, codenamed Project Storm, has been detailed in new confidential emails. An exhibit in the Epic Games v. Apple trial reveals Walmart’s efforts to pitch its cloud gaming service to Epic Games and get Fortnite on board. Walmart was planning what it...

12. Anno 1800 and Division 2 gross sales and refunds
7zIOVmJ.png

j2O8lAF.png

eprMEhU.png

www.resetera.com

Tim Sweeney's apology email to Yves Guillemot shows a 70-90% fraudulent transaction rate on EGS for The Division 2

Thanks to strudelkuchen for pointing it out in the documents thread. --- Dear Yves, I'm writing to apologize for the shortcomings in our Epic Games store implementation and our Uplay integration. In the past 48 hours, the rate of fraudulent transactions on Division 2 surpassed 70% and was...

Nintendo bars Japanese partners from working with the Yakuza
www.resetera.com

Epic Vs. Apple Docs: Nintendo Specifically Bars Japanese Partners From Working With the Yakuza

https://www.ign.com/articles/nintendo-specifically-bars-japanese-partners-from-working-with-yakuza?utm_source=twitter

Phil Spencer on xcloud on other consoles.
unknown.png

image0.jpg

www.resetera.com

Phil Spencer to Tim Sweeney in August 2020: "haven't given up" on xCloud for other consoles

In reply to Tim Sweeney trying to hard-sell Phil on dropping F2P Gold paywall to align with the 1984 "fireworks" show lmao

Microsoft profits in 2019

E0o4NwHWQAc4AxA

www.resetera.com

Microsoft made $2.2b in profits on Software and Services in 2019

Going by the order Tencent absolutely playing alone

Epic Games offered $200m to Sony for 1st party titles on EGS
1620421641628.png

www.resetera.com

Epic Games offered $200m to Sony for 1st party titles on EGS and more News

Phil Spencer and Gabe Newell are BFF and good luck with convincing Nintendo lol

16. Xbox Portfolio Team Reviews: The Last of Us Part II
LuOD02G.jpg

www.resetera.com

Xbox Portfolio Team Reviews: The Last of Us Part II

So, from the recently obtained court documents has a page that had two of Xbox's Portfolio Team members (Mike and Jon) play and write a "review" of the game, as part of recent game release highlights - presumably for one of their leadership meetings. Probably one of the few times we'll get...

Epic Store 2019 Revenue Split and data for various Sales (Holiday Sale, Spring Sale...)

E02n_aDWUAIngi9

E02sUgfXMAMU8-Y

Steam Sales 2019 Epic estimates
lWGWE0V.png

EAT6UeO.png

wIA8C0D.png

www.resetera.com

Steam 2019 Global Sales numbers (Epic estimates) Sales

@mods I don't know what to really classify it. Rumor because it comes from another company, or Sales because it comes from official court documents? (sadly the main document was taken down and not yet reuploaded) Disclaimer, all sales numbers here are Epic either guestimates or known by them...

Deeke posted a direct link if any one of you want to look directly for new documents.

whole DX-3399 (lot's of Epic Games Store data, probably stuff that hasn't been posted yet too)

Last edited:

panda-zebra

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 28, 2017
Oh nice one Kyougar, this stuff is a goldmine and now I don't have to worry about missing out on any of it, going to keep an eye on this one.

Oct 25, 2017
Tampa
www.resetera.com

Imagine all the bugs and crashes we would see if the consoles becomes a PC with many different storefronts. Who are going to make sure those play well with Sonys console? Sony would have to work together with developers from all other storefronts and it would be a clusterfuxx of a mess...

GrrImAFridge

ONE THOUSAND DOLLARYDOOS
Oct 25, 2017
Western Australia
Quick Q: Didn't they expect that all this would come out in discovery? I can't imagine they would be happy with it coming out but.... I dunno.

I'm sure Sweeney and co. were told in no uncertain terms that this sort of data would be made public should the case to progress to court, but I'm also sure they were confident Apple would yield and the information would stay behind closed doors, in no small part because some of it is rather damning (e.g. the meagre 7% conversion rate for freebie claimants -> paying customers).

Last edited:

Sargerus

▲ Legend ▲
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
I eagerly wait for a leaked doc mentioning a PC port of Bloodborne.

Irrotational

Prophet of Truth
Oct 25, 2017
Kyougar Great OP and great work finding all of those . I think there is another one to add? details below:-

There are docs that list Xbox changing their PC cut to 12% and also their console store to 12% (but that hasn't been announced and doc is from January so may be old).

They also detail some possible scloosies for Xbox. I think/assume all the docs came from the court case submissions?

www.resetera.com

Rumor: Microsoft will lower cut to 12% for Xbox games; S.T.A.L.K.E.R. 2 is a 3-month console exclusive [Up: MS - No revenue change at this time] Rumor

https://wccftech.com/stalker-2-is-a-3-month-console-exclusive-microsoft-will-increase-revenue-share-for-xbox-games-too/ https://www.theverge.com/2021/5/2/22415712/microsoft-xbox-store-cut-epic-games-court-documents

Iron Eddie

Banned
Nov 25, 2019
9 billion on Fortnite, that's pretty insane. Surprised they haven't done big acquisitions of their own.

strudelkuchen

Oct 25, 2017
Tim Epic to Yves Ubisoft about Division 2 fraud.

----

Dear Yves,

I'm writing to apologize for the shortcomings in our Epic Games store implementation and our Uplay integration.

In the past 48 hours, the rate of fraudulent transactions on Division 2 surpassed 70% and was approaching 90%. Sophisticated hackers were creating Epic accounts, buying Ubisoft games with stolen credit cards, and then selling the linked Uplay accounts faster than we were disabling linked Uplay purchases for fraud.

Fraud rates for other Epic games store titles are under 2% and Fortnite is under 1%. So 70% fraud was an extraordinary situation.

To stop the fraud, we disabled purchasing of Ubisoft games. We will make our best efforts to restore service as quickly as we can. This depends on (1) a real-time system for disabling refunded and fraudulent purchases on Uplay, and (2) anti-fraud improvements in Epic's service. This work will likely take at least 2 weeks to complete.

The fault in this situation is entirely Epic's, and all of the minimum revenue guarantees remain in place to ensure our performance.

I'm sorry for the trouble,

Tim Sweeney

Epic Games

----

via https://app.box.com/s/6b9wmjvr582c95uzma1136exumk6p989/file/806843549406

OP
OP
Kyougar

Kyougar

Cute Animal Whisperer
Nov 3, 2017
www.resetera.com

www.resetera.com

Are there law bloggers chronicling the oral proceedings?

Hoeg Law is following this since the beginning on Youtube and Twitter

Morten88

Dec 22, 2019

----

Dear Yves,

I'm writing to apologize for the shortcomings in our Epic Games store implementation and our Uplay integration.

In the past 48 hours, the rate of fraudulent transactions on Division 2 surpassed 70% and was approaching 90%. Sophisticated hackers were creating Epic accounts, buying Ubisoft games with stolen credit cards, and then selling the linked Uplay accounts faster than we were disabling linked Uplay purchases for fraud.

Fraud rates for other Epic games store titles are under 2% and Fortnite is under 1%. So 70% fraud was an extraordinary situation.

To stop the fraud, we disabled purchasing of Ubisoft games. We will make our best efforts to restore service as quickly as we can. This depends on (1) a real-time system for disabling refunded and fraudulent purchases on Uplay, and (2) anti-fraud improvements in Epic's service. This work will likely take at least 2 weeks to complete.

The fault in this situation is entirely Epic's, and all of the minimum revenue guarantees remain in place to ensure our performance.

Tim Sweeney

Epic Games

----

Wtf 70% fraud rate?????

OP
OP
Kyougar

Kyougar

Cute Animal Whisperer
Nov 3, 2017
I'm sure Sweeney and co. were told in no uncertain terms that this sort of data would be made public should the case to progress to court, but I'm also sure they were confident Apple would yield and the information would stay behind closed doors, in no small part because some of it is rather damning (e.g. the meagre 7% conversion rate for freebie claimants -> paying customers).

Not only would Epic and Apple be pissed that the documents are coming out, but all the other corporations which were dragged into this are also probably furious.

Deleted member 3190

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017

----

Dear Yves,

Tim Sweeney

Epic Games

----

I can't remember, at the time did we learn why the Uplay purchases were disabled? I remember people speculating about Ubisoft not wanting to participate in the sale at the time.

SteveWinwood

Oct 25, 2017
USA USA USA

----

Dear Yves,

Tim Sweeney

Epic Games

----

jesus christ

Irrotational

Prophet of Truth
Oct 25, 2017
Not only would Epic and Apple be pissed that the documents are coming out, but all the other corporations which were dragged into this are also probably furious.
I still find that wild, I still have no idea how a civil suit between two companies can force a bunch of other companies to disclose stuff about their revenue and sensitive info, but i am not a lawyer and clearly there was a way, because it has happened!

spam musubi

Oct 25, 2017

----

Dear Yves,

Tim Sweeney

Epic Games

----

This sounds like it needs its own thread tbh

Briareos

Oct 28, 2017
Maine
That fraud number is crazy sounding.
It reflects a specific set of actors exploiting mechanisms that were discovered at that time. People need to remember that cheating/fraud/etc. on games is an enormous business for criminal actors, and they treat it as such. There will have been wholesalers selling methodology to "retail storefront" fraud groups, etc., and they would be looking to maximize revenue before the hole is closed.

OP
OP
Kyougar

Kyougar

Cute Animal Whisperer
Nov 3, 2017
This sounds like it needs its own thread tbh

Just do it :>

-----
Another Update added to first post:
C3v4bG6.png

e6XQGZt.jpg

www.resetera.com

Walmart’s unannounced cloud gaming service detailed in confidential Epic emails [Codenamed Project Storm] News

Walmart’s unannounced cloud gaming service, codenamed Project Storm, has been detailed in new confidential emails. An exhibit in the Epic Games v. Apple trial reveals Walmart’s efforts to pitch its cloud gaming service to Epic Games and get Fortnite on board. Walmart was planning what it...

Xater

Oct 26, 2017
Germany
This lawsuit is just a gold mine for seeing how the sausage is being made. Material for podcasts and articles for weeks if not months as well.

spam musubi

Oct 25, 2017
Just do it :>

-----
Another Update added to first post:
C3v4bG6.png

e6XQGZt.jpg

www.resetera.com

On mobile for the rest of the day, it's painful to make new threads. That being said the Walmart cloud service is the most left field of all this stuff.

OP
OP
Kyougar

Kyougar

Cute Animal Whisperer
Nov 3, 2017
added

eprMEhU.png

www.resetera.com

Tim Sweeney's apology email to Yves Guillemot shows a 70-90% fraudulent transaction rate on EGS for The Division 2

Thanks to strudelkuchen for pointing it out in the documents thread. --- Dear Yves, I'm writing to apologize for the shortcomings in our Epic Games store implementation and our Uplay integration. In the past 48 hours, the rate of fraudulent transactions on Division 2 surpassed 70% and was...

Nintendo bars Japanese partners from working with the Yakuza
www.resetera.com

Epic Vs. Apple Docs: Nintendo Specifically Bars Japanese Partners From Working With the Yakuza

https://www.ign.com/articles/nintendo-specifically-bars-japanese-partners-from-working-with-yakuza?utm_source=twitter

Last edited:

Senator Toadstool

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
As someone studying/looking to go into entertainment law this is going to be great. Can't wait to dig into them after finals are over and I graduate next week! thanks for the thread.

Its cool to see the software contracts as I'm familiar with film/tv contracts and deals but never had professors in software.

toy_brain

Nov 1, 2017
Thanks for making the thread!

Man, I'm beginning to wish I'd taken this week off, because this stuff is pure popcorn to me.
Also, I'm gonna check out the Hoeg Law YouTube channel for the next couple weeks, because I know he'll be digging through all this stuff too.

Dave.

Oct 27, 2017
Kyougar There's also this one wherein Phil expresses similar concerns to Sony about losing out on MTX revenue, as posted by Theorry

We do know from Tim's statements that they did not implement a similar playtime/revenue ratio deal as with Sony, but I don't think we know what they did agree to (if anything).

unknown.png

Kinthey

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Is there an explanation for why so much stuff is coming to light? This almost reminds one of a data breach. A lot of this doesn't even seem relevant to the Apple case.

Also, can we expect a similar insight into Apple?

Xater

Oct 26, 2017
Germany
Is there an explanation for why so much stuff is coming to light? This almost reminds one of a data breach. A lot of this doesn't even seem relevant to the Apple case.

Also, can we expect a similar insight into Apple?

According to the Warren tweet it was supposed to be sealed documentation but someone fucked up.

SunshinePuppies

One Winged Slayer
Nov 14, 2020
Do yall think companies (devs/pubs) both big and small that weren't supposed to be privy to this info will take notice?

Kinthey

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
According to the Warren tweet it was supposed to be sealed documentation but someone fucked up.
Oh man, I wouldn't want to be whoever was responsible.

Fortnite revenue per platform, per year (link also has a per month breakdown): https://app.box.com/s/6b9wmjvr582c95uzma1136exumk6p989/file/806841031998
VHTezcB.png

*In millions of dollars obviously
Source for the link itself: https://twitter.com/simoncarless/status/1389676378857955328
That explosion from 2017 to 2018. And surprising how relatively small mobile is, but I guess it's a game most people want to play with a controller or mouse, so going for console or pc is the simpler way

Ox Code

Jul 21, 2018
There's enough threads about this case happening that it might push this thread down. I'm wondering if this thread in particular should be a stickied post?

Katana_Strikes

Unshakable Resolve
Oct 29, 2017
Considering Android is more popular than iOS (although that may not be the case on how many devices can actually run Fortnite) and it being open platform, they make a piddly amount there. But also goes back to the fact iOS owners are more likely to buy stuff on their platform than Android ("where everything is free").

Zen Hero

Oct 25, 2017
This is all fascinating stuff, I feel like I'm learning so much. Thanks for the thread!

Out of curiosity, are these actually "leaked" or are they deliberately publicly released as part of the court process? I'm just wondering how this hasn't been taken down yet if it was leaked, etc.

Milk

Prophet of Truth
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
I love this. All of the Sweenster's stats are out for the world to see. And he's dragging other industry partners in too. What a glorious shitshow.

Katana_Strikes

Unshakable Resolve
Oct 29, 2017
It's kind of ironic that mostly all the platforms that are walled gardens (the ones the are supposedly bad for consumers and companies) are the ones that are making bank. Whilst the open platforms (where piracy runs rampant) are really not pulling their weight despite their user bases size.

Brrandon

Dec 13, 2019
Considering Android is more popular than iOS (although that may not be the case on how many devices can actually run Fortnite) and it being open platform, they make a piddly amount there. But also goes back to the fact iOS owners are more likely to buy stuff on their platform than Android ("where everything is free").
I think thats mainly because its not on the play store. Highly doubt a lot of kids would go out of their way to enable and install an APK