• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Magio

Apr 14, 2020
I think a few people are misinterpreting what is said. They're not saying it's something that could be run on current consoles, but that's it's not anymore straining to the PS5 GPU as 60FPS Fortnite is straining to a PS4/XBOne. And that the geometry only, sure it's highly detailed but it's mostly rocks which is pretty much the easiest kind of geometry to render AFAIK.

To me that seems credible.

gofreak

Oct 26, 2017
So they made a tech demo that doesn't demonstrate what the tech can actually do?

They're referring to the geometry draw time, which is only one aspect of the whole rendering pipeline.

They're basically boasting that the GPU budget geometry drawing is no worse for Nanite than the traditional pipeline. It kind of needs to be comparable in order to be competitive with traditional techniques.

Max|Payne

Oct 27, 2017
Portugal
Engine tech talk threads in this forum always warrant 90% of arse-talking and jumping to conclusion posts.

BTW, did you know the original Doom wasn't actually 3D? It was just a 2D game that did a really neat trick to appear 3D.

OP
OP
EvilBoris

EvilBoris

Prophet of Truth - HDTVtest
Verified
Oct 29, 2017
One day we will see someone say that SSD will improve Ray tracing performance.

Don't you know that raytracing is all controlled by BVM tables, if you can read those spreadsheets fast enough you can make raytracing faster!
But only if you use google sheets cuz Sony hate Microsoft.

Governergrimm

Jun 25, 2019
They absolutely did. They showed a demo that showed off how fast i/o streaming can change how we handle on screen rendering. The engine has literally been rewritten in parts around this. It's a major shift in tech.
It would be nice if they showed or explained i/o speeds used in that demo. It's a great demo but it's grating that they did a tech demo then are kind of nebulous with the metrics. Are there metrics out there that they've shared?

Ewaan

May 29, 2020
Motherwell, Scotland
Actually, the SSD is so fast that geometry that is not visible doesn't have to be computed/ rendered, freeing up massive amounts of budgeted resources for only what you see. It's using occlusion to the max because you can cycle in and out of memory only the geometry that is visible on screen without any noticeable hitching/ loading.
In past consoles, you would load in all of the geometry for a room/ scene at once and that would need to sit in memory until you reached the next loading zone which triggers the dump of those assets and the loading on new assets.
Because the loading can be done so quickly, there are technically no loading zones. Data is always loading. And because you don't have to budget for all assets in the zone at once, you can use the highest of high quality geometry which uses more memory and takes more resources to display on screen.

Glad to see this being posted rather than "SSD only removes loading screens".

Outrun

Oct 30, 2017
Actually, the SSD is so fast that geometry that is not visible doesn't have to be computed/ rendered, freeing up massive amounts of budgeted resources for only what you see. It's using occlusion to the max because you can cycle in and out of memory only the geometry that is visible on screen without any noticeable hitching/ loading.
In past consoles, you would load in all of the geometry for a room/ scene at once and that would need to sit in memory until you reached the next loading zone which triggers the dump of those assets and the loading on new assets.
Because the loading can be done so quickly, there are technically no loading zones. Data is always loading. And because you don't have to budget for all assets in the zone at once, you can use the highest of high quality geometry which uses more memory and takes more resources to display on screen.

Does this affect longevity of the SSD? Or is this within normal parameters of what they do?

gofreak

Oct 26, 2017
It's not doing anything about the GPU's draw rate or what % of GPU time is spent on triangle drawing for a given scene.

It has a lot to do with having the best data - triangles - at hand for the GPU to draw for a given camera view.

The draw rate, and the data, are what adds up to the level of detail you see. So the SSD is playing its part in terms of the overall fidelity, even if it has nothing to do with the triangle draw rate.

collige

Oct 31, 2017
OK, but holding assets in VRAM vs disc doesn't have any effect on the number of polygons the engine can push, does it? The comparison in the OP would be just as valid for a static scene where streaming isn't a concern at all.

Outrun

Oct 30, 2017
Here's your PS5 headlines for the next few weeks, courtesy the Oracle of Delphi. You're welcome-

Epic: The PS5 is the holy grail of sex toys, and the new DualSense works great as a dildo.

Epic: The PS5 bluray discs can be used to solve Global Warming.

Epic: The PS5 will single-handedly end Donald Trump's presidency.

Epic: The Unreal 5 tech demo running on the PS5 cures depression

You had me at your first prediction...

Braag

Nov 7, 2017
Well... they have some proving to do once next gen games roll out in full. Cause that's a crazy bold claim.

Oct 31, 2017
He's specifically talking about the geometry budget and how it's equivalent to rendering the geometry in Fortnite. He's basically bigging up the Nanite tech.

So, with Nanite, rendering the geometry of the UE5 demo at 1440p/30 is about equivalent to rendering the geometry for Fortnite at 4K/60 on current gen.
Thanks for explaining that. Sounds really cool.

Doskoi Panda

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017

What is going on in this forum lately :/
People want their post to be the one that 'wins' whatever discussion or argument they're inserting themselves into - it's basically the only thing that matters - and that guides their posting habits. People don't read anymore, because they don't need to read, it's not entirely necessary to get that first post dope post mic-drop moment they're gunning for. They might skim the OP just to make sure that nothing there apparently invalidates the post they've already written in their minds, their reply to the thread title.

Governergrimm

Jun 25, 2019
Some people have already explained that the comparison with fortnite is being misinterpreted.
Oh I'm not saying that it has to be 4k/60 because the comparison to fortnight. I'm trying to figure out what they did with the rest of the GPU headroom in the PS5. I get it's not a straight comparison. Hell the X1X and PS4 pro could/can/(do?) handle fortnight in 4k.

Oct 31, 2017
This thread proves how many people on Era don't actually read articles and just quickly hit the reply button 😂

Last edited:

Andromeda

Oct 27, 2017
guys

don't confuse geometry budget for pixel shading budget

they're just saying with the large amount of culling/mesh shading, they are technically displaying as many polygons as fortnite
No, they actually didn't say that. They said the time spent to render the geometry is similar which is not the same thing.

Fisty

Oct 25, 2017
It's not doing anything about the GPU's draw rate or what % of GPU time is spent on triangle drawing for a given scene.

It has a lot to do with having the best data - triangles - at hand for the GPU to draw for a given camera view.

The draw rate, and the data, are what adds up to the level of detail you see. So the SSD is playing its part in terms of the overall fidelity, even if it has nothing to do with the triangle draw rate.

Can you do me a favor and go into every thread and explain this to people

Azai

Jun 10, 2020
So from the snippets it sounds like he isnt talking about PS5 but GPU in general. Which means every plattform profits from it.

That said an SSD doesnt reduce the GPU load required. So the magic happens in the engine. Curious what UE5 does so much different from UE4 to deliver such a performance boost.

Still sceptical about this demo being representive for next gen.

hrœrekr

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
May 3, 2019

Are you saying it will swap huge memory blocks in a single frame time? That's like magic!!!!

Uzupedro

Banned
May 16, 2020
Rio de Janeiro
Oh I'm not saying that it has to be 4k/60 because the comparison to fortnight. I'm trying to figure out what they did with the rest of the GPU headroom in the PS5. I get it's not a straight comparison. Hell the X1X and PS4 pro could/can/(do?) handle fortnight in 4k.
Ah, it can be a lot of things, unless they say, I wouldn't be able to know, maybe someone more with more knowledge can point out more easily what would make the GPU demand big even with these benefits that Nanite gives.

nujabeans

Dec 2, 2017
User Warned: Console wars
Half of the people posting these knee-jerk "PR mumbo jumbo" "marketing speak" responses without even understanding what the quote is talking about are *SHOCK* Xbox fanboys.

gofreak

Oct 26, 2017
OK, but holding assets in VRAM vs disc doesn't have any effect on the number of polygons the engine can push, does it? The comparison in the OP would be just as valid for a static scene where streaming isn't a concern at all.

We need more info on how UE5 scales, against what metrics, what toggles are available for devs.

Memory has nothing to do with triangle draw rate, but it may have something to do with how many tris-per-pixel you can target while avoiding egregious levels of pop-in. You might target a much lower number of triangles than your GPU can actually draw if your memory setup resulted in bad pop-in every time you move the camera.

What this bit of info does tell us, though, is that you're geometric detail is unlikely to be GPU bound. But it could be bound by other things however depending on the scene, your memory setup, and your appetite for temporal artifacts/pop-in.

Pancracio17

▲ Legend ▲
Avenger
Oct 29, 2017
I wouldve thought Nanite is a huge GPU hog on higher resolutions since iirc they said it scales with that. Apparently not so much, and its lumen the one that hogs all the GPU, which kinda makes sense since its similar to raytracing in some ways.

Governergrimm

Jun 25, 2019
Ah, it can be a lot of things, unless they say, I wouldn't be able to know, maybe someone more with more knowledge can point out more easily what would make the GPU demand big even with these benefits that Nanite gives.
you are fine, Epic is just annoying me with putting out a tech demo then beating around the bush with performance metrics. Though to be fair if they put out all the performance metrics I wouldn't have a clue about what I was looking at.