• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Passle

Alt-account.
Jan 22, 2019
Making an educated guess, would you say the might stand to make more by releasing on other stores? Perhaps they weren't as confident on the game and the upfront cash from Epic mitigated a large part of the risk.
Yes. I think they've been paid a massive upfront amount for the exclusivity, plus their expanded cut from each and every sale, as well as guranteed marketing exposure on the store and within stuff like Fortnite.

Alexandros

Oct 26, 2017
I'm willing to say the majority of steam users wouldn't care/use almost any of those and that offering an exclusive game is infinitely better a way to increase their market share than offering Linux support.

I strongly disagree. I think that customers would embrace a competitor that offered more to consumers much faster. You catch more flies with honey. Look around the internet. Every PC community is strongly against Epic on this issue.

LewieP

Oct 26, 2017
Who said the game won't be released in China? It would need approval from the censor board first I imagine, but then surely it'll be exclusive to Tencent's platform?
The publisher has said it's exclusive to a store that's not available in China.

Unless the publisher is lying...

Baji Boxer

Chicken Chaser
Oct 27, 2017
Honestly, I think this is the problem. It has become so common that most people view it as a normal thing. It shouldn't be normal. A company paying to remove my options as a consumer is something to be against. If Epic were funding new development projects, like Netflix often does, that would at least be somewhat different.
It hasn't become common, it has always been common. Moneyhatting has been a thing long before any of us were born, in many different industries. It's not some bug in the system, it's a market feature. It's one way retailers compete against each other.

Dazraell

The Fallen
Oct 28, 2017
Poland
People are really missing a point here. Valve wasn't pulling a similar shit. They aren't forcing exclusivity on games available on Steam. It was always a publisher decision if they want to be exclusively on Steam or simultaneously on other platforms. Epic isn't offering a competition. They're securing exclusives by doing this in the nastiest way possible. They are literally poaching indie devs and publishers by taking them out of Steam, literally forcing them to abandon a storefront they had active pre-orders.

tenderbrew

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
We basically arrived in a situation where what people called competition led to a situation where they are the ONLY place selling a game at only one price.
With such policy, this is an actual move that is hurting the market as a whole and set a bad precedent for what some would actually call a monopoly.

No selling an exclusive product is not a "monopoly".

dunkzilla

alt account
Banned
Dec 13, 2018
Honestly, I think this is the problem. It has become so common that most people view it as a normal thing. It shouldn't be normal. A company paying to remove my options as a consumer is something to be against. If Epic were funding new development projects, like Netflix often does, that would at least be somewhat different.
It's literally always been normal lol
People are really missing a point here. Valve wasn't pulling a similar shit. They aren't forcing exclusivity on games available on Steam. It was always a publisher decision if they want to be exclusively on Steam or simultaneously on other platforms. Epic isn't offering a competition. They're securing exclusives by doing this in the nastiest way possible. They are literally poaching indie devs and publishers by taking them out of Steam, literally forcing them to abandon a storefront they had active pre-orders.
"forcing them to abandon". Big words, wanna back that up?

Dazraell

The Fallen
Oct 28, 2017
Poland
It's literally always been normal lol
"forcing them to abandon". Big words, wanna back that up?

Yeah. It's obviously a dev and publisher choice, but it works like that. They got moneyhatted with a promise of a better cut, but by signing this deal they are forced to remain on Epic storefront for a whole year.

If Epic was really interested in competiting with Steam, they would start by securing games that has simultaneous release with Steam. This is how competition works.

tenderbrew

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Epic have indeed secured a monopoly for selling the pc version of Metro Exodus.

The term monopoly refers to cornering a market. One doesn't typically describe it at a product level because it doesn't make sense and it's not useful. Epic and Metro publisher have entered an exclusive arrangement that is mutually beneficially to both companies to offer the product in their store.

Epic games store is far from cornering the games market or even being a major player (barrier to entry is high, therefore Epic needs to do more to sway consumers to it's platform.)

dunkzilla

alt account
Banned
Dec 13, 2018
Yeah. It's obviously a dev and publisher choice, but it works like that. They got moneyhatted with a promise of a better cut, but by signing this deal they are forced to remain on Epic storefront for a whole year.
They aren't forced to do anything. They chose to do it.

If Epic was really interested in competiting with Steam, they would start by securing games that has simultanoeous release with Steam. This is how competition works.
That's not how competition has ever worked. Competition is primarily to best the opponent with the means you have at your disposal. Not everyone getting along fine and dandy.

Deleted member 15395

Unshakable Resolve
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I still don't see any competition for steam's client aside of galaxy. And gog can't compete seriously with steam because big publishers refuse to release DRM free games. It's not gog's fault and not steam's.
Aside of that, I don't see anybody even trying hard, tbh, to make a good client.

as for the store competition, there is plenty on PC already and someone that starts this particular way is no competition and not welcome. You don't let random people to roam your house and appropriate your favourite books, do you?

There's very little "real" competition. MS and Sony compete. The other storefronts fight over a very small marketshare while steam gorges on a 70% of the business.

Your last paragraph, I'm sorry but I've no idea what you mean.

Shengar

Oct 26, 2017
The face of competition that you guys wanted :^)

Seriously I don't fucking buy this Steam monopoly narratives. Not when numerous stores sell keys where Steam doesn't get the cut. It just happened those keys are redeemable through Steam only because it is the readily available platform fod many games. The monopoly is but an illusion made by delusional proponents of 'free market'.

What Epic doing here is worse than EA did. EA at the very least only limiting their games to their platform. Epic on the other hand moneyhatting third party developers and publishers. Yet you all do every necessary mental gymnastic to justify Epic practices.

What got me laughing is that some of you actually believing that this will incentivize Steam to put better sales. And I thought the big legitimizing reason of Epic Store existence is that they're giving better cut to developers and yet you now hoping for a race to the bottom price war due to competitions?

You people in the US who never used Steam store should just shut up.

DreamVsPS2

Using an alt account to circumvent a ban
Banned
Dec 24, 2018
User warned: drive-by trolling
So much salt over a game launcher. The game is $10 cheaper now. Gamers win.

LewieP

Oct 26, 2017
The term monopoly refers to cornering a market. One doesn't typically describe it at a product level because it doesn't make sense and it's not useful. Epic and Metro publisher have entered an exclusive arrangement that is mutually beneficially to both companies to offer the product in their store.

Epic games store is far from cornering the games market or even being a major player (barrier to entry is high, therefore Epic needs to do more to sway consumers to it's platform.)
Nope. My use of the term monopoly was completely correct.

Baji Boxer

Chicken Chaser
Oct 27, 2017
Epic have indeed secured a monopoly for selling the pc version of Metro Exodus.
That's not what is refered to when talking about a monopoly. A monopoly refers to a company dominating the market to the point that it's virtually impossible to compete. It's about a type of product (like PC games in general). A monopoly doesn't apply to a single copyrighted work, or a single studio or publisher.

Deleted member 3208

Oct 25, 2017
The face of competition that you guys wanted :^)

Seriously I don't fucking buy this Steam monopoly narratives. Not when numerous stores sell keys where Steam doesn't get the cut. It just happened those keys are redeemable through Steam only because it is the readily available platform fod many games. The monopoly is but an illusion made by delusional proponents of 'free market'.

What Epic doing here is worse than EA did. EA at the very least only limiting their games to their platform. Epic on the other hand moneyhatting third party developers and publishers. Yet you all do every necessary mental gymnastic to justify Epic practices.

What got me laughing is that some of you actually believing that this will incentivize Steam to put better sales. And I thought the big legitimizing reason of Epic Store existence is that they're giving better cut to developers and yet you now hoping for a race to the bottom price war due to competitions?

You people in the US who never used Steam store should just shut up.
People who scream 'Steam Monopoly' either are ignorant, or want to play the fool, that Epic is creating a monopoly. The same company that once accused of Microsoft of doing the same.

dunkzilla

alt account
Banned
Dec 13, 2018
That's how this deal works. They take money and signed games are FORCED to stay on Epic store for 12 months. They won't be available anywhere else.
No, they chose for it to be Epic exclusive. Massive difference between choosing something and being forced to do it. I'm sorry it doesn't fit your narrative, though.

SFLUFAN

Oct 27, 2017
Alexandria, VA
so you're saying having to install a program is the same as having to buy a console? this is just people being slightly inconvenienced at worst

You're really missing the point here.

It's not about installing another launch or having another storefront. It's that Epic's practices are significantly narrowing my ability as a consumer -- the only thing I really give a damn about -- to purchase games from multiple vendors competing against one another for my money.

Spaceroast

Oct 30, 2017
Trying to muscle the market with your lolfortnitemoney isn't going to gain you favor in the long run. Within 5 years nobody will give a shit about the epic games store.

Then again I'm not too keen on some of valve's practices either, but they don't actively make underhanded anti-consumer deals.

Oct 25, 2017
Canada
So much salt over a game launcher. The game is $10 cheaper now. Gamers win.

Its great when people act like everyone wins because people in the US get $10 off while other countries have to pay up to x2 the price they did on steam, and Chinese people cant even get the game now! What a win for gamers everywhere.

Maybe actually learn why people are salty before shitposting.

Megatron

Oct 27, 2017
Competition doesn't mean everyone offers the same thing. It means seller X tries to offer something their competitor doesn't, which Epic achieved.

dunkzilla

alt account
Banned
Dec 13, 2018
You might be okay with letting corporations walk all over you, and holding products hostage to get you into using something you don't want to, but a lot of us don't.

The PC being an open-platform allows us to fight these practices.
Why do you assume I don't want to use the Epic Store? Fwiw, I will be getting this on console, but I've no problem using any store on my PC. Origin, uPlay etc.

To your actual point, companies have ALWAYS used exclusive products to draw customers in, it's not a new normal, it's always been the case. In every single sector. You're being "walked all over" in every sector of your life.

dunkzilla

alt account
Banned
Dec 13, 2018
Competition doesn't mean everyone offers the same thing. It means seller X tries to offer something their competitor doesn't, which Epic achieved.
It's insane that people don't understand this. They seem to think competition is everyone providing the same goods and the competition is only on price.

tyfon

Nov 2, 2017
Norway
Putting games on other places than steam sucks for me since I don't have windows.
But I probably wouldn't have bought metro anyway as it's a fps horror game, both categories are a no-go for me :p

However, having played PC games since the early 1990s it feels very strange that there are exclusive stores and whatnot.
It's very much against the spirit of home computers.

Orbit

Banned
Nov 21, 2018
Wasn't there also a rumour that the same thing would happen with Division 2 after it launched?

This is what a monopoly looks like.
One platform. One store. One price.

Reverse this statement from a buyer's perspective and look at it as an indie developer but imagine yourself when steam was the only option available for major distribution digitally. Monopoly is what valve had, epic games store is providing competition.

dunkzilla

alt account
Banned
Dec 13, 2018
What they achieved it's taking something away. Not offering something that wasnt sold elsewhere.

So, they are offering something that isn't being sold elsewhere. A lot of jumping through hoops in this thread.

It's insane that people expect customers to be respected.
Stop rooting for big corporations.
Pointing out a fundamental misunderstanding of what competition means is rooting for a "big corporation"? My bad.

You should probably not ever advocate for Valve then, or any other company if you take your own advice.

Deleted member 15395

Unshakable Resolve
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I strongly disagree. I think that customers would embrace a competitor that offered more to consumers much faster. You catch more flies with honey. Look around the internet. Every PC community is strongly against Epic on this issue.

I can absolutely see power users not liking this. But then again, how large are these communities really? In the grand scheme of things?. Steam has about 125 million registered users and while I don't have data on how large are the largest PC communities are I'd be willing to say that for a majority of those 125M users, Steam is little more than a glorified folder where their games are. They don't care about cloud saves or benchmark tools, they probably don't even know what Linux is. They just open their steam icon, click on CS:GO or Dota or whatever they're playing and that's it. That's the entirety of the their interaction with the platform.

I could be wrong of course, but I've a feeling I'm not. Time will tell I guess.

OP
OP
GhostTrick

GhostTrick

Oct 25, 2017
Reverse this statement from a buyer's perspective and look at it as an indie developer but imagine yourself when steam was the only option available for major distribution digitally. Monopoly is what valve had, epic games store is providing competition.

Sure:
Before: Indie dev could sell on Steam, Humble, GMG, their own site.
Now: Indie dev can only sell on Epic Store.

Oct 25, 2017
Miami, FL
What a fascinating thread.

The number of people twisting themselves into knots and moving goal posts to defend Epic's approach here is somewhat disappointing.

You know what would have actually endeared people to Epic and its launcher? If they had simply moneyhatted the game to a lower price on Epic store (half off?) than anyone else could offer it for and continued to iterate their storefront to continue to inch closer to Steam in terms of core features and offering something in terms of features that Steam doesn't have; a killer feature that makes people want to use the service. And maybe even an easy way to find or import your friends list from Steam as well.

People would have bought it on the Epic store and not thought at all about the storefront it was on or even been happy to get it on the Epic store if it had gone down like that. I know I would have. Instead, they've pushed a publisher to wall their version off from every other reseller, keyseller, and storefront. People are looking at the Epic effort with a serious degree of antipathy and distrust as a result. This approach to a moneyhat won't be worth a reputation hit given how new the storefront itself is. This isn't what the PC platform has built its success on and it won't be acceptable to its player base going forward. While I understand that primary console players won't really understand, you just need to take our word for it.

As said in the RPS article:

"Annoying people, hogging games to yourself to try to force your store onto players, making PC gaming more inconvenient rather than less: none of this is going to help Epic, nor make the Epic Store competitive with Steam. Being better than Steam would."

Hopefully Epic learns the lesson before things go unexpectedly sideways for them at some point down the road.

Loyalty and trust is earned, not bought.

TheLastOne

Oct 25, 2017
Can we for the sake of our sanity stop talking about steam's supposed monopoly? Does valve control games prices? No, publishers do. Does valve control game supply? No, again devs and publishers do? Does valve control a way to obtain games? again, no, there are many stores, many of those belong to publishers.

I know what you will say, but you need steam client to play those games. That's what people choose, there are numerous other clients that publishers and gamers can choose from but they choose steam client. That is not a monopoly. Most people choose Nvidia GPUs these days, and we still don't say it's a monopoly, although that's much closer to the monopoly than steam ever was, because they control GPU prices.

There is literally no industry where more competition isn't a good thing. If you don't believe that Steam has way too high a market share (yes, not a true monopoly, I agree and stated that in my original post), that's fair, but look at what happens when a developer / publisher decides to avoid Steam like you said they can - we get a thread of people complaining and boycotting the game.

Fact is, more players in the game is always better for developers and consumers. Eventually, there will be increase priced competition, increased benefits / lowered cuts taken from developers, etc.

Everyone wins here except Steam, so accept the minor pain of having to install another launcher that is priming itself to be a true Steam competitor, for the potential of long term gains.

Hell, in the physical game sale market, competition is working and we see it regularly where I live. Not so much on PC now that physical PC games are gone.

Dazraell

The Fallen
Oct 28, 2017
Poland
No, they chose for it to be Epic exclusive. Massive difference between choosing something and being forced to do it. I'm sorry it doesn't fit your narrative, though.

Well... To be honest, you're the one who has a weird point of view. We never had a situation like this before. Everytime when a major publisher left Steam, they created their own launcher and published their own games. This are moves that are planned with advance and are announced months before launch.

This time we have a dev that is moneyhatting others to stay on other platform. When you sign a deal with them, you can't be on other platform for 12 months. It is a choice, but it is also a fact. If a deal winds up bad, they can't leave until that time passed.

It's also a dick move since most of poached games were available on other storefronts and were taken literally within days because of said deals.