• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Carmelozi

Banned
Nov 6, 2017

Epic Games is doubling down on its strategy of signing developers to deals to bring their games to the Epic Games Store as either full or timed exclusives.

A spokesperson told PC Gamer that Epic has more exclusives on the way in 2021/2022 than it's ever had in total. "We have more exclusives coming in the next two years than we have published to date," a spokesperson said.

More EGS exclusives are coming soon folks. I'm more interested in their publishing investments, studios will greatly benefit from their support and that's good.

Musubi

Unshakable Resolve - Prophet of Truth
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I mean its done them pretty well so far and if they have the capital to do it I don't see why you wouldn't do this.

Morrigan

Spear of the Metal Church
Oct 24, 2017
Ugh, kill me

Epic Games is doubling down on its strategy of signing developers to deals to bring their games to the Epic Games Store as either full or timed exclusives.
Wait, which full exclusive has there even been (other than Fortnite obviously)? Aren't all 3rd party exclusives temp so far?

Serene

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
lol remember two months ago when people were like "Epic is slowing down exclusives, clearly it's failing!"

good times

Karlinel

Prophet of Truth
Banned
Nov 10, 2017
Mallorca, Spain
With the "lacking" growth the EGS has had during 2020, you gotta admit they are certainly persistent with this strategy. I wish them the best of lucks, because they are gonna need it.

Dest

Has seen more 10s than EA ever will
Coward
Jun 4, 2018
Work
I gave up on not installing EGS, so whatever. I still don't like the practice though.

ArmGunar

PlayStatistician
Oct 30, 2017
Looks like this strategy doesn't work so well to encourage people to spend on their Store
EGS grossed $680M in 2019 and $700M in 2020 (only +$20M YoY, during this pandemic)

For comparison, PS Store generated $12.98B in 2020 (+36.9% YoY or +$3.70B)

Trago

Oct 25, 2017
It's business and they're free to do so.

I'm much more interested in their publishing moves though.

KDR_11k

Banned
Nov 10, 2017
I mean its done them pretty well so far and if they have the capital to do it I don't see why you wouldn't do this.
Revenue for the EGS's store side has been flat for 2020, that doesn't bode too well for their loss leader strategy. Doesn't look like people are converting into "full time" EGS customers, just buying the bare minimum there.

Squirrel09

Nov 4, 2017
Cool. Epic paying for exclusives helps certain devs maintain solvency throughout development, and their higher payout to devs/publishers help keep them solvent after release. Not a fan of EVERTHING Epic does, and I wish their store had more features. But they're helping people stay employed, so I'm ok with this.

Anno

Oct 25, 2017
Columbus, Ohio
I've mostly stopped caring - I just get a better game and usually for pretty cheap a year later, so whatever. It's just annoying.

nded

Nov 14, 2017
Ugh, kill me

Wait, which full exclusive has there even been (other than Fortnite obviously)? Aren't all 3rd party exclusives temp so far?
I guess Rocket League which got pulled from Steam (for new purchases) when Epic bought the studio. I think they're also directly funding studios to create EGS exclusive games.

Kalor

Resettlement Advisor
Oct 25, 2017
It's not too surprising considering the slower growth they had in 2020, which seemed like a lighter time for exclusives. Good for the developers though, especially small/medium ones where the money makes a larger difference

TeenageFBI

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Fuck Epic and fuck this anticompetitive strategy.

On the other hand, I'm getting good at waiting for the eventual Steam release that usually comes with a nice discount and a year's worth of updates.

Sabin

Oct 25, 2017
Another thing epic did is to reduce to revenue of AAA title on PC and increase the amount of pirated games. So uhm good job?

Uzzy

Gabe’s little helper
Oct 25, 2017
Hull, UK
tenor.gif

KDR_11k

Banned
Nov 10, 2017
But hey, at least their number of free games given away has skyrocketed in the last year, people are clearly responding to that offer...

etrain911

Oct 27, 2017
Epic complains about being kicked off the Google play store and cries about monopolistic behavior and then money hats exclusives.

Adulfzen

Oct 29, 2017
tbh I can't really blame developers for agreeing to those terms especially if it means recouping costs developments before their game comes out, obviously that doesn't mean I love it but I find it hard getting angry about it at this point (and if it's a game I really want I guess I'll just buy it otherwise I'm kinda okay fine with waiting considering there are still plenty of quality releases everywhere else)

Dec 15, 2017
User Banned (Permanent): Platform Warring and Trolling; Numerous Prior Bans for Similar Behavior
Hope they were able to secure some pc ports from Sony first party, bloodborne in particular

Wesley

Jan 10, 2018
Awesome. Looking forward to getting some good games while knowing that the devs are getting a really good deal their end, too.

Deleted member 3208

Oct 25, 2017
Hey Tim Epic, continue your stupid lawsuit with Apple and stop with this bullshit. It hasn't worked for your shitty store anyways.

MrWindUpBird

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
I mean, why not? I'm all for devs of games having a much better chance at actually surviving through development with the influx cash that Epic is giving them. Good on them b