• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Kurt Russell

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
I mean, it's a 2 page thread about the feature. That's generally been the norm for when new things pop in (including stuff like Steam overhauling their mobile apps/making an Authenticator app, which is a very big deal). The Mechwarrior thread outpaces this thing like a motherfucker, and that's one game. The Shenmue saga had like 8 threads and a bajillion pages :p

We've had to read probably 500+ pages about it, it definitely matters. I mostly wish peeps would focus less on the negativity/dramarama around things (including myself), though.

So a feature that should have shipped with the launcher is being implemented, and you are saying that people who complained about it not being included from the get go didn't really care because this thread is getting the same amount of replies any thread about standard features being added to launchers/stores/platforms usually gets... I'm not sure what was your point then (unless you expect people to praise Epic to high heavens for finally implementing it, which wouldn't make a lot of sense imho).

Nzyme32

Oct 28, 2017
Yo it's legit weird that every time EGS finally adds a feature they were way late on or people have been bagging them on in a bunch of threads, it turns into a mini ghost town

Regional pricing was that way
EGS in China was that way
Cloud Saves are this way

Did y'all disappear or did it not actually matter

Are people supposed to throw a parade for every feature EGS adds, not only that is so infinitesimally basic and missing from the service, but also absurdly late by their own timelines - a rather consistent theme?
Are people supposed to have new born trust in an ecosystem that functions in this way at the most basic functional level?

Did folks complaining about such numerous issues, do so to express their discontent and distrust in that service for the above reasoning, or because adding trivial features sooo late means folks should buy games disregarding any other concerns?

I'm sure there is someone out there that is specifically thrilled by cloud saves being implemented that they now feel comfortable purchasing from the service, and have no other issues - but I'd take the guess those folks are few and far between

EloKa

GSP
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Yo it's legit weird that every time EGS finally adds a feature they were way late on or people have been bagging them on in a bunch of threads, it turns into a mini ghost town

Cloud Saves are this way

Epic is throwing out millions of dollars for influencer parties and events. If they would have spend 1/10th of that on their store then the EGS would have had those features already in february. But still ... hooray for getting closer to the bare minimum a store needs, I guess?

It's kinda hard to get excited about something that should have been mandatory years ago tbh.

Deleted member 42

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 24, 2017
It's kinda hard to get excited about something that should have been mandatory years ago tbh.

None of these things are things to get excited about really (unless it directly affects/improves someone's situation), but if people are going to post about those things non-stop for months on end, and then vanish into a vape cloud after it gets implemented, then that's gonna perk up my alarm bells, or at the very least make me slightly suspicious

sauce

Oct 25, 2017

Cloud Saves are this way

No, that's just how nonnegative PC news works on this forum. Like a couple of days ago, there was a thread for Steam's top sellers that only got 4 posts in it.

Also, I'm not sure if we should celebrate them getting basic things that even GFWL had back in 2012 (remember how reviled that used to be?)

Deleted member 11214

Banned
Oct 27, 2017

Cloud Saves are this way

What is it that you think EGS detractors are "supposed" to say in regards to this news? What conversation is there to be had? "Oh boy, I was sure wrong about the Epic Games Store. I am now eating a whole, big crow. Thank you for the cloud saves!"

Like, there are myriad reasons people are unhappy with the store, some logical and some emotional (which I think is being exacerbated by the dialog around "EGS vs Steam" on Twitter, gaming news sites and console-centric forums like this one), but I don't understand why the addition of a feature of two warrants some kind of concession on the part of those that are vehemently against the EGS.

PrimeBeef

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Well, there it is. We can all get off trashing thus PoS storefront. They now implemented a years long industry standards as about as halfassed as they pushed out their storefront.

GhostTrick

Oct 25, 2017

Cloud Saves are this way

Zzz

Deleted member 42

Banned
Oct 24, 2017
Well, there it is. We can all get off trashing thus PoS storefront. They now implemented a years long industry standards as about as halfassed as they pushed out their storefront.

And now we get to the meat of things

This whole thing isn't about feature set, it's about conflict, mainly wanting to have one, something I wish the internet would stop gravitating towards more and more these days

Positive threads tend to die on the vine, but when there's a pier six brawl going on, the cycle continues

PrimeBeef

Banned
Oct 27, 2017

This whole thing isn't about feature set, it's about conflict, mainly wanting to have one, something I wish the internet would stop gravitating towards more and more these days

Positive threads tend to die on the vine, but when there's a pier six brawl going on, the cycle continues
I'm sorry, a billion dollar company that half asses shit, is incredibly anti-consumer, and has to condescend potential customers, is supposed to be given praise for finally doing something that was industry standard years ago? Stop.

Deleted member 42

Banned
Oct 24, 2017
I'm sorry, a billion dollar company that half asses shit, is incredibly anti-consumer, and has to condescend potential customers, is supposed to be given praise for finally doing something that was industry standard years ago? Stop.

How did you get 'let's be nice to Epic' from 'I wish people fought less on video game forums'

You've lost me

GhostTrick

Oct 25, 2017

What do you expect people to do ?
"Congrats ! They finally did what was done 10 years ago !"
Your posts clearly highlight either that you're trolling or misunderstanding the whole issue.

If you pin down the EGS problem to 1 or 2 features, then it miss you're just not understanding anything.

It's a whole thing. It's forcing customers onto a far worse ecosystem (believe it or not, there's far more than cloud saves. As of right now, they're now on par with Steam in 2009. 2009.) But it's also an economic model Epic is pushing for. Do you think they made sales out of charity despite saying they dont want store wide sales ? Epic has been clear about their intention:
- Pushing the cost onto the customer.
- Making themselves the only market.

Them adding basic stuff nearly a year after doesn't make them good. Just slightly less worse.

Gentlemen

Oct 25, 2017
I don't think 'let's do better than post "fuck epic" in every thread about the EGS' is that unreasonable an ask.
You don't have to post it in every single thread about EGS.
Unless you, y'know, only ever want to fight.

Hero

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Epic is throwing out millions of dollars for influencer parties and events. If they would have spend 1/10th of that on their store then the EGS would have had those features already in february. But still ... hooray for getting closer to the bare minimum a store needs, I guess?

Do you actually think software development can just have money thrown at it to make it go faster?

Deleted member 42

Banned
Oct 24, 2017
aren't you the one trying to call out people for not posting in a thread about epic games store getting cloud saves for some games?

I'm actually not calling anybody out, I'm noting a pattern

The thread was a ghost zone until I pointed out it was a ghost zone, now people think it's a call out post on my Twitter.com when it's mainly an observation that people should probably fight on the Internet less

It's exhausting and not worth it

Dinjoralo

Oct 25, 2017
I feel this is worth mentioning.

He pushes it as a good thing for developers, but it's another bottleneck that showcases how poorly made their infrastructure is.

Alucrid

Chicken Photographer
Oct 25, 2017
Do you actually think software development can just have money thrown at it to make it go faster?

you could utilize that additional money to delay the launch of your product to end up with something that's better and more polished. a concept i think epic is very familiar with now, just too bad they didn't have that knowledge months ago.

The thread was a ghost zone until I pointed out it was a ghost zone, now people think it's a call out post on my Twitter.com when it's mainly an observation that people should probably fight on the Internet less

lol ok.

BobLoblaw

This Guy Helps
Oct 27, 2017
All I want is a fucking wishlist and shopping cart. How were those not there on day one?

Alucrid

Chicken Photographer
Oct 25, 2017
Why is the shopping cart such a highly requested feature? Do many people get charged transaction fees on their purchases? I don't understand why making multiple purchases is such a big deal.

why is requesting something that pretty much every other online store has such a big deal?

Deleted member 42

Banned
Oct 24, 2017
All I want is a fucking wishlist and shopping cart. How were those not there on day one?

Deadass, iOS not having a wishlist stuff absolutely kills most of my interest in getting any games off of it, same with most other stores

On the flipside, I add stuff to my Amazon wishlist all the time so I can track prices + scoop things up when I remember I want them

BobLoblaw

This Guy Helps
Oct 27, 2017
Why is the shopping cart such a highly requested feature? Do many people get charged transaction fees on their purchases? I don't understand why making multiple purchases is such a big deal.
It took me 6 attempts to buy 4 games when they had that sale a couple of months ago. My bank flagged them as potential fraud after the second purchase since I tried to buy them back to back. I eventually had to buy the last two on my credit card. It was a clusterfuck.

Deleted member 3190

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
why is requesting something that pretty much every other online store has such a big deal?
I'm not saying that people can't want the feature. I just don't get why it's so important to so many people. As far as I'm concerned there's no real benefit to it and there are many other features I would like to see first.

Alucrid

Chicken Photographer
Oct 25, 2017
I'm not saying that people can't want the feature. I just don't get why it's so important to so many people. As far as I'm concerned there's no real benefit to it and there are many other features I would like to see first.

the one person in this thread actually buying games on the store just gave a pretty good reason. plus if implementing a shopping cart is going to sandbag their trello board then uh...

Catshade

Oct 26, 2017
While in a vacuum it's unfair to call out Epic for being slow in updating their store *glares at Valve and their revamped UI/client*, they really need to be much, much faster than Valve if they want to take over their market swiftly. The surprise exclusivity move alone wouldn't cut it.

texhnolyze

Oct 25, 2017
Indonesia

It's not like when there's a thread about new Steam features/updates, people would drove to post and celebrate...

www.resetera.com

Introducing Steam Labs - New Steam Experimental Features

Introducing Steam Labs JUL 11 @ 12:08PM - ALDEN Behind the scenes at Steam, we create many experimental features with codenames like The Peabody Recommender and Organize Your Steam Library Using Morse Code. For the first time, we're giving these works-in-progress a home called Steam Labs...

Everyone here is still lost on what do you expect from the people here.

Deleted member 42

Banned
Oct 24, 2017
It's not like when there's a thread about new Steam features/updates, people would drove to post and celebrate...

www.resetera.com

Introducing Steam Labs - New Steam Experimental Features

Introducing Steam Labs JUL 11 @ 12:08PM - ALDEN Behind the scenes at Steam, we create many experimental features with codenames like The Peabody Recommender and Organize Your Steam Library Using Morse Code. For the first time, we're giving these works-in-progress a home called Steam Labs...

Everyone here is still lost on what do you expect from the people here.

Wait, hang on, you missed some

Trust me, I already know. Especially with that last thread. The account security stuff is probably one of the more important long-term changes they've ever made, and it got zero play.

PorcoLighto

Oct 25, 2017
I feel this is worth mentioning.

He pushes it as a good thing for developers, but it's another bottleneck that showcases how poorly made their infrastructure is.

That's sloppy, they gotta fix that ASAP unless they want that feature to never be used
I think we should not confuse between infrastructure and integration process. The store and their Online Services https://dev.epicgames.com/en-US/services are built upon the technology that drives their Fortnite user base usage as well as the recent Dauntless game. If that infrastructure can handle the massive scale of Fortnite then it is not poorly made at all, but rather very scalable imo.

The integration process to utilise these infrastructure seems to be quite clunky though but it is not something that is gonna be hard to fix, as opposed to the infrastructure it is built upon.

For cloudsaves specifically, my educated guess is that the manual process that they mention is mostly around specifying a game save directory, so that the launcher can sync them to the cloud, which is pretty simple and should be able to be streamlined easily into their integration process.

kmg90

Feb 20, 2018
Is this a meme or something?

It took 17 years for xbox live to get a cart. The eShop doesn't have one. The PSN one has a limit of 10, the appstore doesn't have one either.

I mean how often do you guys go on shopping sprees so that the need to hold many games in your cart is such an important feature?

How about when a store (like Steam and even Epic has had one now) has store wide sale, people tend to buy a few games at once.

Without a cart you end up getting your payment method/account locked (for security/fraud precautions)

This happened to a lot of people.

Just this last Steam sale I bought around 15 games (totaling around $100) that would have been absolute pain to purchase each individually.

z1ggy

Oct 25, 2017
Argentina

I dont really understand what are you trying to accomplish. People has been always vocal when its about complaining more than anything else and that applies to everything, not only games or this comunity.

Hero

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
you could utilize that additional money to delay the launch of your product to end up with something that's better and more polished. a concept i think epic is very familiar with now, just too bad they didn't have that knowledge months ago.

If developers delayed launches of products until every last little feature was ready to go then there would never be anything release. What you are describing does not happen in the real world.

Fularu

Oct 25, 2017
No one develops like that

Epic's approach is the right one. Iterative releases following sprint cycles

Those are industry standards (agile development). You are crazy if you think companies shouldn't release products unless every feature is implemented and complete.

GhostTrick

Oct 25, 2017
If developers delayed launches of products until every last little feature was ready to go then there would never be anything release. What you are describing does not happen in the real world.

In the real world, we dont welcome products 10 years late on competition.

There's a difference between "every little features" and literally no features.

Gentlemen

Oct 25, 2017
I dont really understand what are you trying to accomplish. People has been always vocal when its about complaining more than anything else and that applies to everything, not only games or this comunity.
I think the exhaustion comes from it happening in every single thread.
Everything is a fight
Everything is an opportunity for some to say 'fuck egs they're evil and anticonsumer and blah blah blah'
It doesn't have to be.

z1ggy

Oct 25, 2017
Argentina
I think the exhaustion comes from it happening in every single thread.
Everything is a fight
Everything is an opportunity for some to say 'fuck egs they're evil and anticonsumer and blah blah blah'
It doesn't have to be.
Probably because theres a lot of baits, concern trolling, people that plays ignorance to make hot takes and so on. If someone starts celebrating EGS got an exclusive, what do you think it will happen? PC Era lost a lot of good people because of all this. But i guess you are right, problem is people calling EGS out.

Gentlemen

Oct 25, 2017
Probably because theres a lot of baits, concern trolling, people that plays ignorance to make hot takes and so on. If someone starts celebrating EGS got an exclusive, what do you think it will happen? PC Era lost a lot of good people because of all this. But i guess you are right, problem is people calling EGS out.
then stop rising to the bait?
be the change you wish to see and report instead of participating in the carnage?
this isn't that complicated.
i'm not even trying to fight you and you already got your dukes up.
lighten up.

z1ggy

Oct 25, 2017
Argentina
then stop rising to the bait?
be the change you wish to see and report instead of participating in the carnage?
this isn't that complicated.
i'm not even trying to fight you and you already got your dukes up.
lighten up.
I only did a description of what happens, but then again your aimed at people that calls out EGS and not the ones that go in actually bad faith.

Yeah i should lighten up 😒

Gentlemen

Oct 25, 2017
I only did a description of what happens, but then again your aimed at people that calls out EGS and not the ones that go in actually bad faith.

Yeah i should lighten up 😒
they are currently the ones discussing anything but the topic of the thread and mischaracterizing everything I say lol.