• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Kyougar

Cute Animal Whisperer
Nov 3, 2017
The thing I love the most are people criticizing the business savvy of people who have years of experience on the business side of the industry and have access to data we will never see. Yes, I'm sure your SteamSpy data really trumps the insight of people with MBAs and actual hard information.

Hmm *thinkingface*
They are so business savvy that they apparently NEED the EGS money to survive (according to the "will-anyone-think-of-the-developers!" people)
It is quite the Oxymoron.

CobaltBlu

Nov 29, 2017
The thing I love the most are people criticizing the business savvy of people who have years of experience on the business side of the industry and have access to data we will never see. Yes, I'm sure your SteamSpy data really trumps the insight of people with MBAs and actual hard information.
Economics literature is littered with examples of people who should know better making bad financial decisions.

Demacabre

Nov 20, 2017

Highly educated people in high positions of economic power have always told the truth candidly and acted in the best interest of the consumer. Modern capitalism has never been about self interest and skewing data to increase stock value and/or company profit and/or public perception. That's like a republican fact. By extension, I get all my information on environmental policy from execs with MBAs in the coal and oil industry who have access to their own hard data.

Last edited:

Shogun

Oct 27, 2017
Devs make the games I like to play, and they fold or get sold or laid off all the time, despite many of them working grueling hours. As a consumer, I like to support them.

So I take it you buy every game you can direct from the devs and your Itch.io and GOG library is fucking nuts?

You got the receipts?

filkry

Oct 25, 2017
EGS exclusivity and launcher fragmentation is unfortunate, but I see it as an inevitable consequence of PC as an open platform and a trade for all the benefits we get.

At some point, someone was going to decide they could adopt the console plan of loss-leading exclusives to acquire market share. I think Epic is right in identifying that .12*price - exclusivity fee is more than the zero dollars they will make on a game if everyone buys it on Steam instead. Metro, and Origin before it, shows that a lot of people don't care about their PC gaming ecosystem, they care about the game they want to play.

Exclusivity is anti-consumer, but it's not anti-consumer enough for the people to actually rally against the games.

Oct 27, 2017
EGS exclusivity and launcher fragmentation is unfortunate, but I see it as an inevitable consequence of PC as an open platform and a trade for all the benefits we get.

At some point, someone was going to decide they could adopt the console plan of loss-leading exclusives to acquire market share. I think Epic is right in identifying that .12*price - exclusivity fee is more than the zero dollars they will make on a game if everyone buys it on Steam instead. Metro, and Origin before it, shows that a lot of people don't care about their PC gaming ecosystem, they care about the game they want to play.

Exclusivity is anti-consumer, but it's not anti-consumer enough for the people to actually rally against the games.
I mean yeah, if people are dumb enough to not realize they're getting the shaft, there's nothing we can do.

datamage

Oct 25, 2017
Metro, and Origin before it, shows that a lot of people don't care about their PC gaming ecosystem, they care about the game they want to play.

I don't think we have the data necessary to conclude this just yet.

FantaSoda

Oct 28, 2017
Highly educated people in high positions of economic power have always told the truth candidly and acted in the best interest of the consumer. Modern capitalism has never been about self interest and skewing data to increase stock value and/or company profit and/or public perception. That's like a republican fact. By extension, I get all my information on environmental policy from execs with MBAs in the coal and oil industry who have access to their own hard data.

The quote I was referencing was criticizing Matt who literally has built a career analyzing this information, both as an analyst at NPD and internally within a major publisher (Activision). The idea someone here quoting him and saying "you must be bad at economics" is beyond laughable.

Deleted member 42

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 24, 2017
Why are we trying to throw down on Mat now

His whole thing is numbers, he doesn't really have a dog in this fight except to remind me that I was a foolish fool for buying into VR

FOOL

Ge0force

Self-requested ban.
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Belgium
Metro, and Origin before it, shows that a lot of people don't care about their PC gaming ecosystem, they care about the game they want to play.

Metro doesn't shows us anything. As said earlier in this thread, we have no clue how much it sold on EGS vs Steam.

And Origin... Yeah it proves that people are willing to use it for F2P games and for long running popular franchises like Fifa, Sims and Battlefield. But other games failed to build a decent community on pc so far, including the excellent Titanfall 2.

I'm also not sure how well games like Unraveled and Fe sold on Origin. No doubt their lack of visibility and community hub had a negative impact on their sales.

We do know that Origin Access (premium) is doing great tho. So it seems that if a store is offering something that greatly benefits consumers, people ARE willing to use it.

Sadly, Epic rather bullies people into using their store by taking all other options away. No doubt many people will tolerate EGS to play these exclusive games, but let's wait and see if they are willing to buy non-exclusive games in Epics store as well. If they don't, EGS won't become very profitable.

Last edited:

Demacabre

Nov 20, 2017
The quote I was referencing was criticizing Matt who literally has built a career analyzing this information, both as an analyst at NPD and internally within a major publisher (Activision). The idea someone here quoting him and saying "you must be bad at economics" is beyond laughable.

I misread your subtext then. We get a lot of bad faith arguments on this topic here. On the specific point that Mat is bad at his job, no he very much isn't. I agree with you.

Alexandros

Oct 26, 2017
Why are we trying to throw down on Mat now

His whole thing is numbers, he doesn't really have a dog in this fight except to remind me that I was a foolish fool for buying into VR

FOOL

He said that a storefront's customers are publishers and developers. I think he is unfairly diminishing the importance of end customers, the people that actually pay for games.

MrBob

Oct 25, 2017
Origin has also does some things to attract customers too. 99 dollars a year for ea access premier and I get access to all day one ea games with another 100+ in their vault? I'll take that.

Once Epic starts focusing more on the customer they will get more good will and support.

the_wart

Oct 25, 2017
How many 10 person studios have received the lower 25% or 20% distribution cut from Steam?

Are you equating a marginally lower cut on Steam with literally not being allowed on a platform...? EGS in it's current state is not even remotely close to being better for small devs than Steam. If the marketshares of Steam and EGS were to reverse overnight it would be a disaster for small indie developers.

Asriel

Dec 7, 2017
I mean yeah, if people are dumb enough to not realize they're getting the shaft, there's nothing we can do.

What's the shaft here exactly if they just want to play the game? It's quite possible that to some gamers, using the EGS (for whichever reason) is not of concern to them. Or that a user is OK with not using Steam's features.

Oct 27, 2017
What's the shaft here exactly if they just want to play the game? It's quite possible that to some gamers, using the EGS (for whichever reason) is not of concern to them. Or that a user is OK with not using Steam's features.

Even if you don't use the extra fluff, you're getting a worse deal than you would usually have, by the fact that it got removed from other storefronts. The possibily of getting the game cheaper, for example.

But if you're a regular PC gamer I really, really doubt you don't care about the features of other platforms (achievements, cloud saves, trading cards, etc). At the very least you would miss cloud saves.

Sean Mirrsen

Banned
May 9, 2018
Having to pay more for the game than they otherwise would, having to pay extra fees on top of the advertised cost, having to trust your credit card data to a third party with a spotty security record, and even just having no support forums to turn to if there's an issue, all rather qualify for "getting the shaft", even if you're not into using Steam's other features.

Sean Mirrsen

Banned
May 9, 2018
That isn't necessarily true for many cases.
It's true for most cases outside of the US and certain countries in and around the EU. While it may be true that the rest of the world doesn't have nearly as much money per capita as the US of A, it's a rather uncomfortable truth for these richer and happier people, that we do rather significantly outnumber them.

edit: wops, meant to edit. Actually, can we get automatic multipost merging as a feature? I think I saw it in some other forums.

Asriel

Dec 7, 2017
Having to pay more for the game than they otherwise would, having to pay extra fees on top of the advertised cost, having to trust your credit card data to a third party with a spotty security record, and even just having no support forums to turn to if there's an issue, all rather qualify for "getting the shaft", even if you're not into using Steam's other features.

I can understand certain people's concerns about these in this forum and elsewhere on the net, but I think people are massively overrating the general concern about these issues amongst PC gamers. Time will tell to see if that truly becomes a factor.

Oct 25, 2017
I can understand certain people's concerns about these in this forum and elsewhere on the net, but I think people are massively overrating the general concern about these issues amongst PC gamers. Time will tell to see if that truly becomes a factor.
You are basically asking "why should the majority of people care" and that is not something we can answer. There are distinctive disadvantages, and yes, a lot of them don't affect a bunch of people, specially in some of the most important regions revenue-wise.

Which sucks for us who are advocating against EGS, but is also the bare minimum to EGS to actually be considered usable.

collige

Oct 31, 2017
If you are bad at economics, yeah I would take such a deal...
That's like saying a Street Vendor is making a good business decision taking his business out of the main street and into a dark alley just because the rent is better in the dark alley. Of course, the owner of the dark alley and his friends will pat you on the head and say what a good decision you did.
If we assume that 0 people on EGS buy a moneyhatted game and they'll all wait to buy the game full price on Steam after 6 months, then a deal with Epic is basically free money to delay your game 6 months. Not a bad deal at all really. The only real risks are:
-pissing off potential customers that would've bought the game on Steam but now won't buy it out of principle
-losing potential customers that don't want to wait 6 months for Steam AND are willing to pirate the game instead

I'd probably take the deal too tbh

I would say that the Steam pre-order spike for Metro showed that quite a few people care actually. Time will tell for sure, but one crucial difference between the EGS situation and Origin/Battle.net is that in the former case we know that the games will be coming to Steam later anyway so people have the option of just waiting it out and playing other games instead of either moving or not playing the game at all.

buset

Jul 25, 2018

Crayon

Oct 26, 2017
I don't see how publishers are the customers when epic is giving /them money. Or they are sharing the money from the sales. The publishers are more like the suppliers of a product, where epic is like the vendor.

That would make the customers the customers.

spam musubi

Oct 25, 2017
If we assume that 0 people on EGS buy a moneyhatted game and they'll all wait to buy the game full price on Steam after 6 months, then a deal with Epic is basically free money to delay your game 6 months. Not a bad deal at all really. The only real risks are:
-pissing off potential customers that would've bought the game on Steam but now won't buy it out of principle
-losing potential customers that don't want to wait 6 months for Steam AND are willing to pirate the game instead

I'd probably take the deal too tbh

I would say that the Steam pre-order spike for Metro showed that quite a few people care actually. Time will tell for sure, but one crucial difference between the EGS situation and Origin/Battle.net is that in the former case we know that the games will be coming to Steam later anyway so people have the option of just waiting it out and playing other games instead of either moving or not playing the game at all.

You forgot the third option: people just moving on and not buying your game because there are already way too many games competing for your attention and people may not be interested in buying a year old game when it releases on steam late. This, combined with bad blood due to doing exclusivity, could damage a company's brand longer term. The short term cash infusion could be nice, but it may not be a sustainable model. If the first exclusive game doesn't sell well enough, will epic moneyhat a second? Can epic keep doing moneyhats with a 12% cut from their store? Fortnite won't be top dog forever. They need to have a long term strategy.

filkry

Oct 25, 2017
You forgot the third option: people just moving on and not buying your game because there are already way too many games competing for your attention and people may not be interested in buying a year old game when it releases on steam late. This, combined with bad blood due to doing exclusivity, could damage a company's brand longer term. The short term cash infusion could be nice, but it may not be a sustainable model. If the first exclusive game doesn't sell well enough, will epic moneyhat a second? Can epic keep doing moneyhats with a 12% cut from their store? Fortnite won't be top dog forever. They need to have a long term strategy.

I think it's clear what their long term strategy is. Get people to amass a collection on their store composed of exclusives and free games. If they eventually have to ramp down the loss leading, people will stay on EGS because it has their collection on it already, and by that time I'm sure they plan to be much closer to feature parity.

collige

Oct 31, 2017
The bolded is true, but I was comparing EGS to the Origin scenario where the customer knew beforehand that the game would never come to Steam. People fucking off forever is a concern in both scenarios. I do agree that Epic's long term plans seem extremely iffy at the moment since it's trivially easy for all of the customers they're gaining right now to simply ignore the store outside of the free/moneyhatted shit.

spam musubi

Oct 25, 2017
I think it's clear what their long term strategy is. Get people to amass a collection on their store composed of exclusives and free games. If they eventually have to ramp down the loss leading, people will stay on EGS because it has their collection on it already, and by that time I'm sure they plan to be much closer to feature parity.

I mean, even if EGS builds a user base, long term they will still have to compete with steam, which most people are likely to also have a library in, but steam also offers more features and generally better pricing (due to third party sellers), so if Epic is no longer doing exclusivity the customers still won't have a reason for going back to Epic.

Mentalist

Mar 14, 2019
Has it ever crossed your mind that valve has no problem sharing a significant portion of their market with epic store? Considering their consistent tendency to play the long game, they may see no threat in this.

- EGS could possibly grow the pie,helping attract more players to PC with their mobile and console synergy. This, taken by itself, is a win for everybody.

- EGS is never going to match steam's features. Not up for discussion. If EGS takes root and settles in, the inevitable constant comparisons will put steam's capabilities in the spotlight.

- Don't believe everything you hear: the one-way deluge of PR going on is not effective at much of anything. It can sway the conversation on social media for a bit, but the things will swing back. And in an odd case, Valve offers 0 opposing PR.

Note the lack of PR talking points(horseshit) available for regurgitation by valves fans in these arguments.With no wave of PR being sent back, a countervailing narrative forms organically. It comes directly from the many happy users.

- Epic could pay to yank half of the biggest games from steam. That would obviously lead to the other half having less competition on steam. Steam would still have a billion more games. And after epic and it's big publisher friends suck up full price sales for 6 months, the games go to steam and keep resellers where they will live out the rest of their lives going on sale for an objectively superior platform. I'm sure valve is shaking in their tube socks.

- Valves curiously intense software and hardware projects would it be unaffected.

- How much of their incredibly profitable business could valve lose and still be fine? If they lost 25%, there will be a conveyor belt of doomsday articles, but I think valve would be able to keep doing what they're doing without big vested interests breathing down their neck.

A lot of us are operating under the assumption that valve is under some sort of threat here. When really, they may be perfectly happy to share the market with epic. Everybody wants to know how the valve is going to react. I predict they will continue to not.

I don't give a damn about Valve.
I own more games on GOG then I do on Steam. I don't want GOG to go under because of all this crap.

In addition, I want MORE publishers to get rid of their antiquated notions that DRM somehow ensures sales and put their games on GOG. Last year THQ Nordic committed to put their big releases on GOG Day 1, and it was a positive move for the industry. (Edit to add: a major Japanese publisher (Capcom) released one of its recent big games (Dragon's Dogma) DRM-free. The recently-maligned 2K went on a sharing spree, bringing the first 2 Bioshocks, the Mafia trilogy and new X-com + The Bureau to GOG as well)

Epic's exclusivity is taking us the opposite way from where I want it to go. So I'll do my damn best to discourage people from giving Epic money, and I'll give most of my money to GOG, because they have a USP to their store I respect and am willing to pay higher prices for- DRM-free installers, providing me with best semblance of actual ownership over my games.

Last edited:

datschge

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah, but can you instead tell me what payment solutions they use and explain to me, so I know? I mean, we are talking about paying for stuff online here. What do the non-westerner people use then? Is it an invoice system? Direct debit through bank transfer?

My friends in Japan all use the listed credit cards, and my friends in Turkey, at least to pay for stuff online.
While somebody else already listed some of the payment services, here's the previously posted GDC video of Valve talking about the whole stuff: https://youtu.be/wrvr02SiHY4?t=1970
Some choice info from that video:
- Steam market in Russia is now bigger than the whole of Steam back in 2010.
- The five "standard" payment methods account for only 12,5% of all Steam payments in Asia
- The markets outside of Northern America and Western Europe are approaching half of all Steam business

And if the service is not available/accessible at all some people are going to look for alternate sources for getting the game.

"Many" is the key word.
In all cases of EGS exclusivity.

filkry

Oct 25, 2017
I mean, even if EGS builds a user base, long term they will still have to compete with steam, which most people are likely to also have a library in, but steam also offers more features and generally better pricing (due to third party sellers), so if Epic is no longer doing exclusivity the customers still won't have a reason for going back to Epic.

This is definitely true for people who bought a lot of PC games pre-2017. But look at how fast the Steam paying customer base is growing. EGS doesn't have to convert Steam users, they just have to make themselves the first store of a lot of folks buying their first PC game.

Some examples:
+ fortnite player who decides to buy a game that's on both Steam/EGS: why install another program/manage another library?
+ someone who got a bunch of free PC games from EGS and now wants to buy their first game: why install another program/manage another library?
+ person buying their first gaming PC and wants an AAA PC stress test game: Metro is only available on EGS

They are optimizing the paths by which new PC gamers could come to see EGS as their default option.

Mentalist

Mar 14, 2019
This is definitely true for people who bought a lot of PC games pre-2017. But look at how fast the Steam paying customer base is growing. EGS doesn't have to convert Steam users, they just have to make themselves the first store of a lot of folks buying their first PC game.

Some examples:
+ fortnite player who decides to buy a game that's on both Steam/EGS: why install another program/manage another library?
+ someone who got a bunch of free PC games from EGS and now wants to buy their first game: why install another program/manage another library?
+ person buying their first gaming PC and wants an AAA PC stress test game: Metro is only available on EGS

They are optimizing the paths by which new PC gamers could come to see EGS as their default option.

Unless they match Steam's key generating options, eventually EGS customers will still flock to the Steam ecosystem, because Steam keys remain cheaper than Epic's prices for any non-exclusive title.

ShinUltramanJ

Oct 27, 2017
Valve offsets costs with their item trading system

I believe developers get a cut out of that as well.

Some examples:

Unless things change I can't imagine anyone living within Epic's walled garden.

Anyone that even remotely follows PC gaming is going to see the prettier outside world that exists beyond Epic's walls

Ghostwalker

Oct 30, 2017

Some examples:

Big problem with you idea, the growing player base are kids who, unless their parents are loaded. do not their own Credit or Debit cards because well they are kids. Most parents will not want to even risk giving kids unresticted access to their card, this is why you have Top-Up cards. EGS is not selling Top-Up cards because of the 12%.

Congrats Epic you have just priced out your current Fortnite player base out of you new EGS.

Last edited:

filkry

Oct 25, 2017
Unless they match Steam's key generating options, eventually EGS customers will still flock to the Steam ecosystem, because Steam keys remain cheaper than Epic's prices for any non-exclusive title.

I think some people will pay premium prices to keep their games on one platform.

Unless things change I can't imagine anyone living within Epic's walled garden.

Anyone that even remotely follows PC gaming is going to see the prettier outside world that exists beyond Epic's walls

If EGS can expand to offer a similar scale of selection as other comparable curated stores (PlayStation, Xbox, Nintendo), I don't see why many people wouldn't be content to play there, or at least prefer it to other platforms if the majority of their library is already on EGS.

Big problem with you idea, the growing player base are kids who, unless their parents are loaded. do not their own Credit or Debit cards because well they are kids. Most parents will not want to even risk giving kids unresticted access to their card, this is why you have Top-Up cards. EGS is not selling Top-Up cards because of the 12%.

Do we have any evidence that most new paying PC gamers are kids? In anything, I would expect them to be either people with newly disposable income (young adults) or those in growing markets. The latter group may indeed be anti-EGS. Top-up cards are not inherently incompatible with EGS though, as they could pass the same payment method tax on to the customer purchasing the card as the other EGS methods.

I am not rooting for EGS in particular (I don't own any non-free games on it), but I don't see its model as something preventable. And I think the strategy will work for them and make them a major player in PC gaming within a few years.

Crayon

Oct 26, 2017
I think some people will pay premium prices to keep their games on one platform.

If EGS can expand to offer a similar scale of selection as other comparable curated stores (PlayStation, Xbox, Nintendo), I don't see why many people wouldn't be content to play there, or at least prefer it to other platforms if the majority of their library is already on EGS.

Do we have any evidence that most new paying PC gamers are kids? In anything, I would expect them to be either people with newly disposable income (young adults) or those in growing markets. The latter group may indeed be anti-EGS. Top-up cards are not inherently incompatible with EGS though, as they could pass the same payment method tax on to the customer purchasing the card as the other EGS methods.

I am not rooting for EGS in particular (I don't own any non-free games on it), but I don't see its model as something preventable. And I think the strategy will work for them and make them a major player in PC gaming within a few years.

I seriously doubt anyone who's much into PC at all is going to limit themselves to the epic store. As soon as they want a game that's not on it, that's over.

Oct 27, 2017
Personally, I don't want them gone. I want them to do better, and they can start by stop treating their potential customers as dumbasses.

But certainly they will have a hard time convincing me lol

Last edited:

filkry

Oct 25, 2017
I seriously doubt anyone who's much into PC at all is going to limit themselves to the epic store. As soon as they want a game that's not on it, that's over.

To be clear, I don't think they will limit themselves to EGS. But I can see a group of PC gamers who treat EGS like most treat Steam: their preferred place to buy games, with other stores being used only when a game they want isn't available. (Again, this group are the ones I referred to in an earlier post when I described a hypothetical group of new PC gamers whose first PC game purchases are on EGS).

Crayon

Oct 26, 2017
To be clear, I don't think they will limit themselves to EGS. But I can see a group of PC gamers who treat EGS like most treat Steam: their preferred place to buy games, with other stores being used only when a game they want isn't available. (Again, this group are the ones I referred to in an earlier post when I described a hypothetical group of new PC gamers whose first PC game purchases are on EGS).

I can see some people calling it homebase if they get their start there.

Delusibeta

Prophet of Truth
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Do we have any evidence that most new paying PC gamers are kids?
Fortnite is notorious for having an audience skewing young. Epic themselves have stated that a large part of their Epic Launcher audience (read: Fortnite on PC) don't use Steam. Combine both statements, and you've got the claim that the audience that Fortnite is introducing to PC gaming skews young.

To be clear, I don't think they will limit themselves to EGS. But I can see a group of PC gamers who treat EGS like most treat Steam: their preferred place to buy games, with other stores being used only when a game they want isn't available.
This might be possible in the future. The problem is that I don't think a lot of people are paying for their first PC game on EGS (see also: the approx 5% conversion rate for Slime Rancher, despite being free and advertised via notification to everyone using the Epic Launcher).

ShinUltramanJ

Oct 27, 2017

If this continue as they are then they'd want to use other storefronts simply because they have more presence and the best deals.

You can go on Amazon and buy Steam, Uplay, Origin, and Battle Net games, the same way you would consoles. There's a level of convenience that Epic lacks.

Ghostwalker

Oct 30, 2017

The advantage of getting kids is that as they grow up while the store devlops they will build up a collection and thus an attachement over the years, this is why it would be so good for Epic to win them over now, so when they are young adults with disposable income they will be more loyal to Epic.

If they are young adults with the desposable income the to be serious PC gamer then it to late, sure they will pick up a few games on Epic. However they will want all the big name games when they come out and as Epic are not yet in a postion to keep up with supply they and the young adults will have to go to other stores.

As for the payment methods tax on Top-Up cards it amazes me that anybody think this idea is remotly sane. You can only apply the payment tax when you sell the card in the shop and do you think anybody will buy a a £50 Epic Top-up card for £55 (or what ever the tax rate they would charge) when they can buy a £50 top-up for Steam, Xbox, Sony, Nintendo, EA, Activision, Apple and every other company I missed for £50.