• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Deleted member 42

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 24, 2017
Like Steam cards for instance are basically 15% off the top for the retailer. Otherwise they wouldn't carry them. I don't know how Epic intends to get them in stores with 88/12.

Couple options here for that

Eat the cost - that's the standard move and the company generally expects to make it up in volume, but since they'd lose 3% off every card, that's probably a no go
Have the retailer pay - lol this will never happen ever ever ever ever
Have the consumer pay more - this is the AMEX move, really rare, kinda dumb, defeats the purpose, is a poor people tax

Real being real they probably raise that cut to 20 or some such later, then they have at least some wiggle room for this kind of thing

Veliladon

Oct 27, 2017
The basic situation is that the 70-30 split means that rich westerners buying on Steam subsidize the rest of the world. Epic is coming in, pricing for only those rich westerners and screwing the rest of the world on costs.

Demacabre

Nov 20, 2017
Seems you missed the part where Epic is paying dozens of popular devs and publishers to keep their games away from Steam...

Clearly the exclusive deals to billion dollar publishers is a better use of their money than covering the transaction costs of people in developing countries.

Good guy Epic. The patron saints of devs.

Or maybe they will provide a roadmap when they will stop screwing over people for living in a certain region. Roadmaps solve and defend everything in the gaming industry. "Here you will see when we will stop being assholes and be service complete. So shut up."

Gevin

Nov 2, 2017
I think that passing the payment fees on to consumers is good. Once consumers know about the fees, they can stop using that payment method. Competition is the only reason why high fees would go down. And if consumers aren't getting hit with them, there's no reason to change.

Brb not using my only payment method anymore

datschge

Oct 25, 2017
lol wait a damn minute here

Epic isn't the poppy store down the street where they have a 5$ credit card minimum because they can't afford the fees under that

They should at least have a roadmap to get to a spot where they can cover those/cover the fees to get retail cards into stores
According to Valve retail cards cost 10-15%. I'd say with EGS' 12% cut that is a no go for Epic.

Netherscourge

Oct 25, 2017
Does Valve allow developers to take a bigger cut if they don't add Steam Cloud or Workshop support to their games?

Does Valve allow developers to take a bigger cut if they skip out on ad boosting or other perks? Can a developer selling on Steam get the option to skip PayPal as a payment method to keep a higher% cut?

Does Valve offer ala carte stuff like that for developers to pick and choose, so they can keep more than 70%?

Oct 27, 2017
Does Valve allow developers to take a bigger cut if they don't add Steam Cloud or Workshop support to their games?

Does Valve allow developers to take a bigger cut if they skip out on ad boosting or other perks? Can a developer selling on Steam get the option to skip PayPal as a payment method to keep a higher% cut?

Does Valve offer ala carte stuff like for developers?
No AFAIK

It think it's vastly overstated how much the populace at large wants to play these games Epic has money hat-ted.

I was ready to preorder Metro (before the 8chan shit anyway) and suddenly I couldnt *shrug*

Gevin

Nov 2, 2017

Does Valve offer ala carte stuff like that for developers to pick and choose, so they can keep more than 70%?

Valve allows devs to generate keys free of charge and they can sell them for a full share

Stallion Free

Oct 29, 2017

How would a shopping cart work if one game blocked the payment method you want to use? That would be so irritating to the customer.

LewieP

Oct 26, 2017

Dalik

Nov 1, 2017
Exactly. Yet people from my country (Belgium, part of the EU) need to pay extra when we are paying with Bancontact (the standard/leading electronic payment company here) on EGS.
"Traders in the EU are not allowed to charge you extra for using your credit or debit card. The only exceptions to this rule are American Express/Diners Club cards and business or corporate credit cards, where your employer is billed instead of you. If you use these cards, you may still be charged a fee but the fee can't be more than what it actually costs the trader to process your payment."
Shouldn't this be applied for your situation?

Delusibeta

Prophet of Truth
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Tim Sweeney has been responding in a reddit thread that linked to this thread.

https://www.reddit.com/r/pcgaming/c...tore_12_cut_explained_buyer_takes_on/ekgp77f/

Sweeney should just make an account here.
Tim's argument is 80% of their transactions use PayPal and credit cards, which don't have a transaction fee, therefore this isn't a problem. I have seen people complaining about getting charged a transaction fee for using their credit card, so I know he's wrong there.

Netherscourge

Oct 25, 2017
How would a shopping cart work if one game blocked the payment method you want to use? That would be so irritating to the customer.

Not positive on this, but I believe Valve could middle-man the payment method on behalf of the customer, so they would be "virtually" using their preferred payment method, when in fact, Valve would just eat the fee in between and make the actual credit card transaction themselves. Or something like that.

Anyway, the payment method was just one example. I'm talking about letting the developer pick and choose what extra features they include so they have the option to keep a higher %. Not sure if that's an option or not on Steam.

Armaros

Oct 25, 2017
I love how Sweeny and Sergei have consistently said how the small the group of people that have to pay extra fees are.

As if that means it's a proper excuse

Gevin

Nov 2, 2017
Not positive on this, but I believe Valve could middle-man the payment method on behalf of the customer, so they would be "virtually" using their preferred payment method, when in fact, Valve would just eat the fee in between and make the actual credit card transaction themselves.

Anyway, the payment method was just one example. I'm talking about letting the developer pick and choose what extra features they include so they have the option to keep a higher %. Not sure if that's an option or not on Steam.

Valve allows devs to generate keys free of charge and they can sell them for a full share

Devs can keep 100% if they want with key generation while using all Steam features

Dinjoralo

Oct 25, 2017
Tim's argument is 80% of their transactions use PayPal and credit cards, which don't have a transaction fee, therefore this isn't a problem. I have seen people complaining about getting charged a transaction fee for using their credit card, so I know he's wrong there.
This looks self-fulfilling. Of course most people are using paypal, people who uses a credit card and see the extra fee are probably going to take their business elsewhere.
That mostly tells me they are 1000% a US centric store and couldn't be arsed about the rest of it right now

Which, you know, no
Ding ding ding. Epic doesn't see the value outside their operating country.

Armaros

Oct 25, 2017
That mostly tells me they are 1000% a US centric store and couldn't be arsed about the rest of it right now

Which, you know, no

It's unfortunate that games media is so UK and US centric that the media doesn't understand or cover any of this.

And the places that probably do cover this, the places that get charged more are all in non-English languages.

datschge

Oct 25, 2017
I love how Sweeny and Sergei have consistently said how the small the group of people that have to pay extra fees are.

As if that means it's a proper excuse
It's part of their focus on the developerspublishers, their awareness of their store customers suffers.

You know what, EGS more and more reminds me of Xbox One at launch.

Sean Mirrsen

Banned
May 9, 2018

No on stripping parts of the Workshop featureset, because the API is free to use even for games that don't sell on Steam (just requires a Steam login).

No on letting developers be dicks and skip some people's preferred or only payment methods.

Generally they allow to skip the Steam store altogether and look for distribution services elsewhere, asking for nothing more than maintaining a fair price across all storefronts, and for not abusing the free key generation system.

eonden

Oct 25, 2017
Edit sorry Shape, quoted you wrong!!

No on stripping parts of the Workshop featureset, because the API is free to use even for games that don't sell on Steam (just requires a Steam login).

No on letting developers be dicks and skip some people's preferred or only payment methods.

Generally they allow to skip the Steam store altogether and look for distribution services elsewhere, asking for nothing more than maintaining a fair price across all storefronts, and for not abusing the free key generation system.
The whole "pay extra to unlock parts of the Steam API" makes me really worried / annoyed. I love games with Workshop support and with that i imagine a future where some devs just dont think about using those features because they would make them less money.

"Yeah, we love modding but you can use Nexus, we want the extra cash" , same with Cloid Saves and other additions.

Ge0force

Self-requested ban.
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Belgium
Tim Sweeney has been responding in a reddit thread that linked to this thread.

https://www.reddit.com/r/pcgaming/c...tore_12_cut_explained_buyer_takes_on/ekgp77f/

"But but Steam and Origin have exclusives as well..."

I really hate that guy :8

Edit: also this:

Epic Games store developers and publishers are free to release on Humble. I know more are coming, some soon, and some are waiting for direct purchasing integration due to a desire to avoid keys.

Armaros

Oct 25, 2017
"But but Steam and Origin have exclusives as well..."

I really hate that guy :8

Edit: also this:

Epic Games store developers and publishers are free to release on Humble. I know more are coming, some soon, and some are waiting for direct purchasing integration due to a desire to avoid keys.

Sweeney really likes making up shit to excuse his actions.

Sean Mirrsen

Banned
May 9, 2018
Obviously the way to fix the issue is very simple, just make your store have no shopping cart. EGS is way ahead of the curve there. They have no optional features to charge extra for yet, but I hear they're working on those.

Gabbo

Oct 25, 2017
Nah, that can't be right. No way LL sold only 20k in it's lifetime. Copy-paste from my previous post:

According to GI.BIZ, LL sold 3 times better than the first Metro game on PC during the 1st week:

https://www.gamesindustry.biz/artic...-week-sales-surpass-2033-lifetime-sales-in-us

According to SteamCharts and SteamDB, LL had a peak number of 16.650 during the launch week:

https://steamcharts.com/app/43160

This indicated that sales are higher than 20k, but probably less than 100k. So I'd say Metro Exodus sold less than 250k, and this is Steam pre-orders + retail + 3rd party keys. Remember how Metro Exodus was the best selling game on Steam when the exclusivity was announced?
So it did well on PC regardless it would seem - Depending on what the number of steam preorders was that would eat into the ratio number Epic released.

CobaltBlu

Nov 29, 2017
EGS should run with a cut that allows them to feel comfortable absorbing the cost of transaction fees for customers that have to use other payment methods. Why run with a 12/88 split if it's barely affordable without passing on costs to the consumer? This wouldn't be a problem if EGS wasn't buying exclusives, people who use those methods of payment are forced to pay extra if they want to use those games because there isn't a competing service for them to choose.

Why should customers be eager to make the market as convenient and profitable for publishers as possible if the outcome is making the market worse for themselves. The corporatist apologism is really alarming to me.

They don't have to sell on steam.

NervousXtian

Oct 27, 2017
Legit question, it might have been answered but 9 pages is hard to parse. Does Steam eat the credit processing fees out of their 30% cut? or does the rev get cut after the processing fee? ie: 100 transaction, 10% processing fee... Valve has $30 minus $10 so rev of 20... or is it $100 minus $10 processing so Valve get's $27 and game get's $63?

Kyougar

Cute Animal Whisperer
Nov 3, 2017
I think that passing the payment fees on to consumers is good. Once consumers know about the fees, they can stop using that payment method. Competition is the only reason why high fees would go down. And if consumers aren't getting hit with them, there's no reason to change.

This is completely false. Adding those payment options added millions of new customers for Steam. in some countries, customers only have 1 or 2 payment options they can (realistically) use. Saying they should instead use other methods is like saying the should eat cake if they don't have bread.

Even in Germany, Credit Cards (excluding debit cards who can rarely be used in online shopping) are not widely used.

Armaros

Oct 25, 2017
Legit question, it might have been answered but 9 pages is hard to parse. Does Steam eat the credit processing fees out of their 30% cut? or does the rev get cut after the processing fee? ie: 100 transaction, 10% processing fee... Valve has $30 minus $10 so rev of 20... or is it $100 minus $10 processing so Valve get's $27 and game get's $63?

Their cut of the sale goes to costs like those,

Ge0force

Self-requested ban.
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Belgium
So it did well on PC regardless it would seem.

I'm not sure if 250k is good or bad for a long awaited AAA game like Metro Exodus. Risk of Rain 2 had 650k players in the first week for example.

But my point is that it doesn't say anything about the success of EGS, because it was for sale on Steam, retail and cdkeys as well. I'd love to know how actual EGS exclusives like Ashen, Hades and Satisfactory are doing. I don't hear/see any pc gamers talking about these games, nor online nor irl.

Perhaps MatPiscatella can provide us with some information? :)

Dinjoralo

Oct 25, 2017
Sorta adding to and correcting this, Valve doesn't let developers completely skip Steam's store. As in, if you have the game on Steam, you have to sell it there, you aren't allowed to purely sell on third-party sites. Which is reasonable, just pointing it out.

NervousXtian

Oct 27, 2017
Couple options here for that

Eat the cost - that's the standard move and the company generally expects to make it up in volume, but since they'd lose 3% off every card, that's probably a no go
Have the retailer pay - lol this will never happen ever ever ever ever
Have the consumer pay more - this is the AMEX move, really rare, kinda dumb, defeats the purpose, is a poor people tax

Real being real they probably raise that cut to 20 or some such later, then they have at least some wiggle room for this kind of thing

In the end that's the only option, cash gift cards in store will have a cut around 5 to 10% to the store selling it.. which means by the time it get's to Epic they aren't making money at 12%... and there's a huge market that relies on those methods. If you stop moneyhatting games and charge an extra 5% to the price of the game.. then those consumers will go to other places to get them.

The only option is to raise the cut at some point. They went low to try to steal business.. but no way in hell is 12% sustainable long term.

Ge0force

Self-requested ban.
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Belgium
"Traders in the EU are not allowed to charge you extra for using your credit or debit card. The only exceptions to this rule are American Express/Diners Club cards and business or corporate credit cards, where your employer is billed instead of you. If you use these cards, you may still be charged a fee but the fee can't be more than what it actually costs the trader to process your payment."

Yes it should. A few local stores used to charge €0.20 cent for electronic payments, but they aren't allowed to do that anymore. Today we always pay the same price in Belgium, no matter if we pay with card or cash. Of course, stores are still free NOT to offer electronic payments. But most stores do, because their customers are asking for it. Last time I've paid something with cash was an ice cream for my daughter at the beach last summer.

strudelkuchen

Oct 25, 2017
to give context to the quote: https://europa.eu/youreurope/citizens/consumers/shopping/pricing-payments/index_en.htm

Alexandros

Oct 26, 2017
An interesting post from the Reddit thread about this thread:

In India Steam not only supports around 7-8 domestic payment methods with high overhead, it also supports Cash On Delivery. You buy the game and select this option, they will send a guy over to your house to collect the cash, who will then confirm the receipt and the game will be added to your library. The entire overhead of sending people, collecting cash, verifying payment from agency is eaten by Steam.

We like to circlejerk about how does another launcher matter but the fact remains that in emerging markets Steam is the only platform willing to work with local payment services to ensure wider reach while Epic is content to pass on everything from foreign currency conversion charges to payment processing overhead to consumers.

Morrigan

Spear of the Metal Church
Oct 24, 2017
...Is this real? Some customers live in countries where they don't have the luxury of options.

Oct 25, 2017
An interesting post from the Reddit thread about this thread:
Yeah, this was mentioned by JaseC here in the past too, but of course got ignored. In the same thread, a Medium post by Galyonkin himself also showed that EGS games having to compete against giants GaaS titles like DotA 2 (or, in Epic's case, Fortnite...) is a losing battle, which is... interesting, considering the current state of EGS, though not relevant to the current topic.

eonden

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah, this was mentioned by JaseC here in the past too, but of course got ignored. In the same thread, a Medium post by Galyonkin himself also showed that EGS games having to compete against giants GaaS titles like DotA 2 (or, in Epic's case, Fortnite...) is a losing battle, which is... interesting, considering the current state of EGS, though not relevant to the current topic.
That is a misreading of his post. What he says in there is that users from GAAS / F2P games buy much less games than the average (if at all), so basing your full audience on them is not the best thing.
Basically the audience for those games and the audience that buys artsy Indies is quite separated.

Oct 25, 2017
That is a misreading of his post. What he says in there is that users from GAAS / F2P games buy much less games than the average (if at all), so basing your full audience on them is not the best thing.
Basically the audience for those games and the audience that buys artsy Indies is quite separated.
That is the same though? Sorry if I worded it wrongly - it is what I meant to say, though I disagree with the "artsy indies" label, considering the numbers he showed.