• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Komo

Info Analyst
Verified
Jan 3, 2019
Epic are just passing costs onto the consumer.

Something has to give when they're offering such a tremendous deal to developers.
Well not really. Valve has shown that you can take a hit on the costs and still make money to be profitable. That and they still offer a lot more then what EGS did in 4 years.

eonden

Oct 25, 2017
Aside the store itself not being as feature rich as Steam there are several issues at once:
- With the 30% in-store cut Steam offers the care-free route, neither consumers nor developers need to be conscious of additional fees. Within Steam the in-store price is what it is.
- EGS on the other hand with its 12% ensured that they will never be able/willing to expand the reach to any ways of payments that make the cut financially unfeasible. To not limit the audience developers would need to keep additional fees in mind and price their games accordingly. Customers need to keep additional fees in mind while browsing the EGS to not be surprised by them later on.
- EGS is plainly not available and actively blocked in specific regions at all (like China). This means games exclusive to EGS essentially don't exist there except through piracy means.
- All this combined means EGS is limiting the exposure exclusive games will ever get, whole regions are excluded, for the remainder the costs are higher, and the diverse channels that could/would promote the game are excluded as well. It's EGS or nothing.

So in the current state (especially the insistence on the 12% cut, and that being financially feasible) EGS can never truly be on par with Steam.
I mean, I know, I am just saying that piracy is not driven because the game is not on Steam but rather because the value of the service provided by Epic (this incluse lack of service in certain regions) is inferior to the value of piracy ("free" game). Steam is just a service that identified the issue and solved it by making the jump to the paid service easier AND added value to the service they provided to add extra differentiation with the piracy version.

If EGS has focused more on the customer POV in both experience and paying, piracy danger would be much lower. That is what I was trying to say, that piracy is not created in its majority due to Steam-fanboys but rather due to the service provided being inferior than a "pirated copy".

I would also say that Tim Sweeney thinking that current set up of shops (not EGS but in general, so I assume uPlay / Origin lvl) being good enough for most customers is also problematic, and way more what stagnant for the marketplace. I am not confident at all that Epic will ever put their focus on the end customer (the one paying the games in the end), as they have stated that right now their real customer is developers.

Edit: I guess I should say I do not support piracy, just in case not to get banned?

ShapeGSX

Nov 13, 2017
I think that passing the payment fees on to consumers is good. Once consumers know about the fees, they can stop using that payment method. Competition is the only reason why high fees would go down. And if consumers aren't getting hit with them, there's no reason to change.

datschge

Oct 25, 2017
I mean, I know, I am just saying that piracy is not driven because the game is not on Steam but rather because the value of the service provided by Epic (this incluse lack of service in certain regions) is inferior to the value of piracy ("free" game). Steam is just a service that identified the issue and solved it by making the jump to the paid service easier AND added value to the service they provided to add extra differentiation with the piracy version.

If EGS has focused more on the customer POV in both experience and paying, piracy danger would be much lower. That is what I was trying to say, that piracy is not created in its majority due to Steam-fanboys but rather due to the service provided being inferior than a "pirated copy".

I would also say that Tim Sweeney thinking that current set up of shops (not EGS but in general, so I assume uPlay / Origin lvl) being good enough for most customers is also problematic, and way more what stagnant for the marketplace. I am not confident at all that Epic will ever put their focus on the end customer (the one paying the games in the end), as they have stated that right now their real customer is developers.

Edit: I guess I should say I do not support piracy, just in case not to get banned?
Yeah, I think we are agreeing with each other there. I just wanted to show how far off from "being on par" EGS really is (and as you say this insufficient service may give rise to other means of acquisition). And as you write yourself, Sweeney's opinion of this being good enough and the focus being the developerpublisher doesn't give hope this will improve significantly anytime soon.

eonden

Oct 25, 2017
I think that passing the payment fees on to consumers is good. Once consumers know about the fees, they can stop using that payment method. Competition is the only reason why high fees would go down. And if consumers aren't getting hit with them, there's no reason to change.
People do not choose payment methods with high fees willingly, they are normally the only ones that they have access to easily. There is not a simple "stop using that payment method" or "just create your bank account in a different bank!" solution.

Zophop

Apr 12, 2018

And what if the only options available to customers in some regions all have high payment fees? Do they just not buy the game?

Armaros

Oct 25, 2017
...you think consumers use those not-standardized payment processors becaus they want to? You think consumers wouldn't rather just put in basic card and bank information to buy their games?

Madjoki

Oct 25, 2017
SteamSpy (Ironic as fuck)

https://steamspy.com/app/43160

Owners: 0 - 20k

SteamSpy for Last Light regular is incorrect. It has been broken since 2018.

It used to be almost 1.5m.

jJszRZQ.png

Deleted member 3897

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Nah, that can't be right. No way LL sold only 20k in it's lifetime. Copy-paste from my previous post:

According to GI.BIZ, LL sold 3 times better than the first Metro game on PC during the 1st week:

https://www.gamesindustry.biz/artic...-week-sales-surpass-2033-lifetime-sales-in-us

According to SteamCharts and SteamDB, LL had a peak number of 16.650 during the launch week:

https://steamcharts.com/app/43160

This indicated that sales are higher than 20k, but probably less than 100k. So I'd say Metro Exodus sold less than 250k, and this is Steam pre-orders + retail + 3rd party keys. Remember how Metro Exodus was the best selling game on Steam when the exclusivity was announced?

OG LL sold really bad during launch, but sales picked up when it started going on sale.

The Redux version sodl much better.

Demacabre

Nov 20, 2017

What?

...yes, let's discourage consumer payment options.

ShapeGSX

Nov 13, 2017
People do not choose payment methods with high fees willingly, they are normally the only ones that they have access to easily. There is not a simple "stop using that payment method" or "just create your bank account in a different bank!" solution.

Someone has to pay them. If I owned a business and there were 25% fees associated with a payment method, and I was going to take the hit, I'd just say, "nope, sorry, not taking that one. I can't afford that."

Who exactly do you want to pay the fee?

Netherscourge

Oct 25, 2017
I think Valve deserves the 30% cut, they are doing a lot of good things for endusers.

Kd8RaXI.png

source

1yfZ6EB.png

I don't really feel like EGS deserves their 12% cut.

This makes no sense. Your charts show that Epic's 12% cut is justified VERSUS Steam's 30% cut, based on the additional services Steam offers.

Also, "deserves" is not the terminology I would use for any business model.

Right now, the biggest "perk" of selling your games on the Epic Games Store, besides keeping 88% of profit, is that the millions of people playing Fortnite will see ads for your game.

PepsimanVsJoe

Oct 26, 2017
Jesus Christ.

I can't do this anymore. I simply can't.

EloKa

GSP
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
This is absurd. Piracy won't be "back" yes it's a service issue but there's nothing that says Epic is not going to make the actual transaction process any easier. If people still pirate after that then it's clearly not a service issue and a steam attachment issue.
This is not absurd at all. We saw massive piracy numbers with EGS exlusives like Metro Exodus and people were even openly talking or suggesting to pirate the game in all discussion boards, even within Era. Those piracy numbers were decreasing for a decade and are now jumping back to new highs because of the forced Epic exclusivity deals. So yeah, I'd say that piracy is back or is coming back.
And no Epic didn't "rage quit PC gaming" 10 years ago. People just like to say it cause they believe whatever they hear. The only person who ever commented on PC gaming from Epic was Cliff Blezinski...he did not represent Epic as a whole.
I'd say that the President of Epic Games should count as someone from Epic. So: Mike Capps. Or Tim Sweeney as posted above.
I guess that the president of Epic Games should count as someone official from Epic Games. So: Mike Capps for example.
So I'm gonna ask this question....how exactly did Epic "abandon" PC gaming 10 years ago?

You might want to read interviews by Mike "PC piracy pushed us onto console" Capps
https://www.neowin.net/news/pc-piracy-drove-us-to-consoles-says-epic-games/

Demacabre

Nov 20, 2017
No, they live in places that dont get charged more, they dont care that OTHER people, overall people from developing countries pay more.

"Why would I want to live there?"

.. . . .

I think I am with the other poster, I can't do this much anymore. The logic people are going for to defend Epic, billion dollar companies, and toxic capitalism is levels of insanity. Folks, keep on fighting the good fight.

Any other topic other than Epic Game Store, and these arguments would be laughed out. But no, here trickle down economics and cronyism at the expense of the consumer is a-okay.

Zophop

Apr 12, 2018
Someone has to pay them. If I owned a business and there were 25% fees associated with a payment method, and I was going to take the hit, I'd just say, "nope, sorry, not taking that one. I can't afford that."

Who exactly do you want to pay the fee?

If a store selling the product is not prepared to pay the fee for a payment method, they shouldn't offer that payment method. A customer should never have to be expected to pay more money just to give you money. Do it properly or don't do it at all, you can't have your cake and eat it.

Ge0force

Self-requested ban.
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Belgium
Right now, the biggest "perk" of selling your games on the Epic Games Store, besides keeping 88% of profit, is that the millions of people playing Fortnite will see ads for your game.

I don't play Fortnite, so I'm not sure how this works. Does Epic show ads for other games on their store in Fortnite? Or are you talking about the ads that people see when they open Epic's launcher?

Armaros

Oct 25, 2017
So what's your argument? Raise the Epic Game Store's cut to Steam's 30% so that they don't have to pass on fees to the consumer? That'll show him, right?

Its amazing the excuses here to rationaize a billion dollar company charging poorer countries more money for video games. And you trying to argue that, that is a GOOD thing.

ShapeGSX

Nov 13, 2017
If a store selling the product is not prepared to pay the fee for a payment method, they shouldn't offer that payment method. A customer should never have to be expected to pay more money just to give you money. Do it properly or don't do it at all, you can't have your cake and eat it.

So here's another argument for raising the Epic cut from 12% to 30%. Then they don't have to pass on the fees to the consumer.

buset

Jul 25, 2018
Tim Sweeney alone is worth 7 billion USD, he can spare me a dollar or two.

Fair enough - I just think that payment models with high fees should be avoided so they don't become standard because they are quite heavy on smaller businesses, especially in retail where margins are low and you have to rely on quantities sold. But that's another discussion I guess and not really applicable to this thread.

I guess I'm just as riled up about payment fees as some people are about the EGS VS Steam discussion. Sorry

Deleted member 42

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 24, 2017
lol wait a damn minute here

Epic isn't the poppy store down the street where they have a 5$ credit card minimum because they can't afford the fees under that

They should at least have a roadmap to get to a spot where they can cover those/cover the fees to get retail cards into stores

ShapeGSX

Nov 13, 2017
Its amazing the excuses here to rationaize a billion dollar company charging poorer countries more money for video games. And you trying to argue that, that is a GOOD thing.

So, they should just lose money when they deal with those payment methods. That's what you are arguing. Or they should raise their fees to developers and publishers. This is what you want?

Deleted member 9305

Oct 26, 2017
This makes no sense. Your charts show that Epic's 12% cut is justified VERSUS Steam's 30% cut, based on the additional services Steam offers.

Also, "deserves" is not the terminology I would use for any business model.

It makes perfect sense from my perspective as a consumer. EGS does close to nothing for me as a paying customer. The 30% cut Valve is taking is at least somewhat working in my favor.

Veliladon

Oct 27, 2017
lol wait a damn minute here

Epic isn't the poppy store down the street where they have a 5$ credit card minimum because they can't afford the fees under that

They should at least have a roadmap to get to a spot where they can cover those/cover the fees to get retail cards into stores

Why would you go through all that hassle when you can make so much more marking up a 1.5% credit card transaction to 12%?

ShapeGSX

Nov 13, 2017
His company should pay for it, at least if he wants my business.
After all, this is for the devs and the PC ecosystem no?
Oh but thats right, Sweeney is full of shit.

Ok, so you want devs to shoulder the fee when Epic matches Steam with their 30% cut to deal with these high fee payment methods. Got it.

Oct 30, 2017
Added fees are no longer permitted in the UK and must be included in the advertised price

I'm fairly certain it's like that across the EU too

z1ggy

Oct 25, 2017
Argentina
So, they should just lose money when they deal with those payment methods. That's what you are arguing. Or they should raise their fees to developers and publishers. This is what you want?
Should or shouldnt doesnt matter, piracy is rising because of shit like this.

Losing is a relative cost here. Read about negative marginal cost.

Demacabre

Nov 20, 2017
Added fees are no longer permitted in the UK and must be included in the advertised price

"Well perhaps governments should change then. It isn't Epic's fault governments are being unfair to big business in defense of their citizens. Pfff do you want Epic to go to 30%?!"

Armaros

Oct 25, 2017
Ok, so you want devs to shoulder the fee when Epic matches Steam with their 30% cut to deal with these high fee payment methods. Got it.

you do realize that is the point of stores getting a cut of every sale? because there are cost associated with selling a product?

hmm maybe Valve takes 30% for a reason? its a mystery why they do.

Deleted member 33412

User requested account closure
Banned
Nov 16, 2017
Tokyo
I think it's better the fees are past on to the consumer in the long run(?). I'm sure better payment methods will become more prevelent in other countries, and if not there is always Steam.

Ge0force

Self-requested ban.
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Belgium

Exactly. Yet people from my country (Belgium, part of the EU) need to pay extra when we are paying with Bancontact (the standard/leading electronic payment company here) on EGS.

Oct 25, 2017

Armaros

Oct 25, 2017
I think it's better the fees are past on to the consumer in the long run(?). I'm sure better payment methods will become more prevelent in other countries, and if not there is always Steam.

So practices that are not accepted in any other retail transaction industry should be done for video games because....? why?

Sean Mirrsen

Banned
May 9, 2018
Wait, is EGS not priced correctly in Russia? Despite one of the key guys behind the store being Russian and likely following Steam enough to know how Steam made itself a success there? What?
He's Ukrainian, and if you follow the latest events at all it should tell you all you need to know about how much he cares for the state of gaming here. I wouldn't be surprised if he's doing what he's doing exactly because he knows how much of a benefit Steam's model is to the gamers and game-dev in our country.