• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Zophop

Apr 12, 2018
Passing the payment processing fee onto the consumer will always rub me the wrong way. I am already trying to give you money, why do I have to pay more money to give you my money? It should be factored into the price of the game and paid for by the publisher/dev, or the by the store itself.

No excuses.

Deleted member 10551

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
There are so many stores and launchers already and Steam has by far the biggest share, why on earth would they feel pressured by the Epic store in it's infancy. It is a lot more logical to me that Valve adjusted their cut because of Bethesda and other publishers that might be thinking of leaving. I could see that it might have caused the announcement to come a little sooner but that's it.

Valve could afford to lower their profit margins. This is why most of these publishers are looking into Epic moneyhats. It's to create competition between Valve and Epic, which will result in lower profit margins. They know Valve isn't going to go draconian, because Valve's preference is to not give consumers a reason to go somewhere else. Valve could use their market power to really hurt the companies that are doing exclusives, but that runs the risk of folks sticking with Epic store. Valve's hope right now is that people will boycott/never hear of EGS.

As much as I want it to fail, if I was Epic, and if I was taking a swing at Valve, and I didn't know how much longer the Fortnite boom would last, I'd be doing exactly what they are doing, and accept that folks don't like it. It's been proven if you get important enough exclusives, folks will come. It's also been proven that you're not going to get significant market share by being nice the way GOG did it.

For Epic and for the publishers, this is a win. For consumers, it's a loss unless they show some discipline and make the publishers pay for not putting their game where they want it to be. Consumers, especially "gamers", have a poor track record of discipline.

I must be late to the party. Does Steam actually get 30% of every single purchase???? There's just no fucking way

They only do on that bought from the Steam store, and a few really successful companies have negotiated lower cuts. Steam gets a 0% cut from publisher-generated keys I believe that they sell direct.

Oct 25, 2017
Canada
I must be late to the party. Does Steam actually get 30% of every single purchase???? There's just no fucking way

Yes. So does every other store and platform except Humble, Epic and Discord.

If your game crosses $10m in revenue Steam lowers their cut to 25% and lowers it again to 20% at 50m. Revenue includes money made from DLC, microtransactions, trading cards and marketplace purchases.

Rodjer

Self-requested ban.
Jan 28, 2018

Only for purchases directly from Steam just like Sony/MS/Nintendo/Apple/Google are getting 30% from digital sales since the beginning.

Also, for retail games, Sony/MS and Nintendo cut is bigger if you factor royalities.

Pheace

Aug 23, 2018

If your game crosses $10m in revenue Steam lowers their cut to 25% and lowers it again to 20% at 50m. Revenue includes money made from DLC, microtransactions, trading cards and marketplace purchases.
What percentage does Humble Store take?

Sean Mirrsen

Banned
May 9, 2018
What percentage does Humble Store take?
Humble Store sells Steam keys, so 0% to Steam, I think 10% to charity, 15% to Humble, while using Steam's infrastructure for all distribution and the like.

edit: I think it's interesting that you have a store that literally runs a charity, and takes 15% just to operate a site and sell keys, and then you have things like EGS popping up touting their 12% like they're doing it at profit and out of the goodness of their hearts.

Pheace

Aug 23, 2018
Humble Store sells Steam keys, so 0% to Steam, I think 10% to charity, 15% to Humble, while using Steam's infrastructure for all distribution and the like.

edit: I think it's interesting that you have a store that literally runs a charity, and takes 15% just to operate a site and sell keys, and then you have things like EGS popping up touting their 12% like they're doing it at profit and out of the goodness of their hearts.
Just checked a purchase on the Humble Store and it notes 5% goes to charity (* PayPal Giving Fund's administrative fee and applicable sales taxes, VAT, and payment processor fees (which typically average 6 to 7% across all transactions) are deducted from the donation )

Oct 27, 2017
Bandung Indonesia
Planning to jump into PC gaming and yes, the fact that Steam has those physical cards thingie really help me.. well us... out here in Indonesia.

(as in, what's the irresponsible thing about the tweets?)

Lol, I just love how BronsonLee just ignored you and multiple numerous people asking for clarification about his statement. What kind of forum /discussion mannerism is that, especially from a Mod, you put out a statement, you'd better be responsible for it, sheesh.

daninthemix

Nov 2, 2017

I did some maths on this. Here's what a theoretical, wildly successful game that generates $100m in revenue makes for the publisher on Steam vs EGS:

$0 - $10m = $7m (70%)
$10m - $50m = $30m (75%)
$50m - $100m = $40m (80%)

Steam Total = $77m
EGS Total = $88m

Ploid 6.0

Oct 25, 2017
Only for purchases directly from Steam just like Sony/MS/Nintendo/Apple/Google are getting 30% from digital sales since the beginning.

Also, for retail games, Sony/MS and Nintendo cut is bigger if you factor royalities.
Those 3 provide a commercial platform that allow easy access gaming to millions.

For physical games their cut isn't more, it's less. With digital they get the platform royalties + the distribution fees physical stores would charge at a lower combined fee.

Steam, and whoever else that charge 30% for storefront without doing things like the console manufacturers are having the best of both worlds. Steam specifically doesn't even own Windows to charge that extra royalty fee.

SPD60lp.png

Oct 26, 2017
I did some maths on this. Here's what a theoretical, wildly successful game that generates $100m in revenue makes for the publisher on Steam vs EGS:

$0 - $10m = $7m (70%)
$10m - $50m = $30m (75%)
$50m - $100m = $40m (80%)

Steam Total = $77m
EGS Total = $88m
This is never going to be the case. A lot of steam keys are sold via other websites... And valve gets a big fat 0% cut on these.

Rodjer

Self-requested ban.
Jan 28, 2018
Those 3 provide a commercial platform that allow easy access gaming to millions.

Steam allows easy access gaming to millions of people.
PSN is not supported on all region, same goes to Xbox Live and eShop.

Steam is actually in more regions and with regional pricing.

Pheace

Aug 23, 2018
For physical games their cut isnt more, it's less. With digital they get the platform royalties + the distribution fees physical stores would charge at a lower combined fee.
I remember a post by a dev explaining the difference some years ago where physical releases ended up taking about 50-60% of the sales price (all costs included throughout the entire process) and could take up to 6 months before you started to see a return, whereas digital (Steam) only took 30% and you'd get your money the same month it was sold.

At the time Steam was a big step up from how things used to be.

Deleted member 5596

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
From what I can tell, the only game that's passing along any savings to the end-consumer as a result of this better revenue split is Metro Exodus which is selling for $49.99

Every other "major" title -- The Division 2, Borderlands 3, Control, Darksiders III, The Sinking City, etc. -- is selling for the standard $59.99.

So exactly where the hell is the benefit to me as a consumer of this superior revenue spilt for the developer/publisher?

And in Metro's case is only for US. The rest of the world is not seeing any saving in the price.

Alexandros

Oct 26, 2017
I don't think EGS will actually get Valve to do better about that stuff, not with the strategies Epic is using to compete, but people aren't wrong for wanting Valve to do better, and being frustrated with Steam.

It depends on what people mean when they say that they want Steam to do better. Weeding out offensive or fake games, absolutely. Stricter curation, absolutely not. Further reducing the cut, it depends. I'll elaborate on all three.

Stopping offensive and fake games - Valve needs a clear and not easily bypassed policy on what kind of adult content is allowed and what isn't. They also need to act faster and sever ties with developers that drop 10 or more 'games' on the store every month. They are taking steps for both but they need to work faster and more efficiently.

Stricter curation - 100% against. There is absolutely no reason for why Valve should be the entity deciding what I can or can't buy. Any developer that puts out a legitimate product, meaning an actual fully-featured game, deserves the chance to find an audience. I knows my own tastes much better than a random curation team and the refund system is an excellent safety net in the chance that I buy something that doesn't appeal to me or is a faulty product.

Further reducing the cut - It depends on the effect it will have on Steam's R&D and on the end price for customers. Right now the only company actively investing in making PC gaming even better as a platform is Valve. No one else is doing stuff like Steam Input and Steam Proton. Every other client is barebones and with no platform-wide extra features. EGS especially so, it lacks even basic features. As for the end price, right now Steam's cut allows independent stores to sell Steam games on a significant discount by reducing their own cut and passing along the savings to the customers. I won't support a reduced cut if it means that developers get more money but customers end up paying more.

Ploid 6.0

Oct 25, 2017
This is the post I had in mind, what is the distributor fee something the console manufacturers also charge?

I thought that was fees from transportation/shipping fees, stocking/shelf space fees that physical stores charge, not Nintendo for example. For digital, since that's now taken care of by Sony, Microsoft, and Nintendo, they are the distributor and they put the royalty fee in there as well.

GhostTrick

Oct 25, 2017
This is the post I had in mind, what is the distributor fee something the console manufacturers also charge?

I thought that was fees from transportation/shipping fees, stocking/shelf space fees that physical stores charge, not Nintendo for example. For digital, since that's now taken care of by Sony, Microsoft, and Nintendo, they are the distributor and they put the royalty fee in there as well.

For physical, it's basically the royalty fee for selling a game on console.
Just the very fact that you sell a PS4/XBOX/Switch games means you have to pay a royalty fee on each copy, even in physical retail stores.

Ploid 6.0

Oct 25, 2017
The same fucking way Apple, Google, Sony, Microsoft and Nintendo take that 30% bub
All of these names create a platform for the games. Apple iOS or whatever Iphones use, Google with android, the other 3 with their platforms they researched, developed, and sell at a loss or for Nintendo a bit of a profit(?). Apple and Google do not have much of a risk in their platform anymore, but for the consoles, they can end up with a bad generation like Dreamcast, or for new contenders for a piece of the easy gaming device pie it can fail horribly. Steam? A windows app that serve games, no hardware or OS, though they are working on a Linux OS, though their Steam Machines thing may be over. If they had their own OS, and hardware that would be more worth the fee.

For physical, it's basically the royalty fee for selling a game on console.
Just the very fact that you sell a PS4/XBOX/Switch games means you have to pay a royalty fee on each copy, even in physical retail stores.
Yeah... You also have to get permission and buy dev kits from the 3. It's how it works. They also have to certify your work for it to be released on their platform as well. If they don't like it, they can reject it and have you fix the issues they have with it (Sony started censoring things iirc. Like nudity or something.).

spineduke

Oct 25, 2017
All of these names create a platform for the games. Apple iOS or whatever Iphones use, Google with android, the other 3 with their platforms they researched, developed, and sell at a loss or for Nintendo a bit of a profit(?). Apple and Google do not have much of a risk in their platform anymore, but for the consoles, they can end up with a bad generation like Dreamcast, or for new contenders for a piece of the easy gaming device pie it can fail horribly. Steam? A windows app that serve games, no hardware or OS, though they are working on a Linux OS, though their Steam Machines thing may be over. If they had their own OS, and hardware that would be more worth the fee.

Yah, but you're paying for those consoles which make a profit, and all the console accessories and online subscription fees. Heck, even changing your handle on Xbox costs a fee. My point is, the customer is paying for all of these, while they still carry on charging devs the same hefty 30% cut. Seems very out of touch with how the self game publishing market has evolved in the last 10 years.

Last edited:

Ploid 6.0

Oct 25, 2017
Yah, but you're paying for those consoles which make a profit, and all the console accessories and online subscription fees. Heck, even changing your handle on Xbox costs a fee.
No, the boxes that play the games don't make much of a profit (again I think Nintendo manage to have it making an ok profit from the start). They usually sell at a loss in hope that the owners buy many games. Games are where the money is for them. Printer and ink cartridge situation. Nasa or Saddam Hussein buying up a ton of PS2's for experiments was a horrible situation for Sony, and the people that bought a ton of PS3's. All those systems not buying games. The same with Playstation Vita, so many people bought the system, but not many games. Good emulator apparently.

Steam is a platform for games. The only difference is that it runs on a variety of hardware.
heh, steam isn't needed to make PC games. Steam is a storefront. The same games on steam could be put on any other store without steam's drm and work on your PC and Windows just fine. Publishers go to steam for exposure. For example, MMO devs that had their own stand alone launcher, and wanted to get a more exposure/users went to steam which then would take 30% from every microtransaction from the user that tried the steam version, even if they stopped using the steam version (David Brevik, said it was worth it). Black Desert wouldn't even let you share the same account if you got the steam version, that was a way around being locked to the Steam fee.

Valve don't have a OS (outside of Steam Machines), or a console/hardware platform but their store and it's ecosystem/community seems to be worth it for devs. Maybe with google, and other stuff devs will wonder if it's worth that fee.

Last edited:

spineduke

Oct 25, 2017
No, the boxes that play the games don't make much of a profit (again I think Nintendo manage to have it making an ok profit from the start). They usually sell at a loss in hope that the owners buy many games. Games are where the money is for them. Printer and ink cartridge situation. Nasa or Saddam Hussein buying up a ton of PS2's for experiments was a horrible situation for Sony, and the people that bought a ton of PS3's. All those systems not buying games. The same with Playstation Vita, so many people bought the system, but not many games. Good emulator apparently.

Controllers and accessories have huge profit margins, this is really not the case. $60 on a controller that costs how much to make? That very *reasonable* priced Switch dock? Those Vita memory cards that were insanely overpriced? Thats not a miscalculation, thats business as usual. The customer is inheriting all the costs of the R&D and risk.

GrrImAFridge

ONE THOUSAND DOLLARYDOOS
Oct 25, 2017
Western Australia

A seemingly little-known fact about Humble's 95/5 split is that it's limited to purchases made through a game's widget or game page (not to be confused with store page), although, to be fair, the 75/25 split that applies to Humble Store purchases is still slightly better than 70/30. Discord's 90/10 split was quite literally a knee-jerk reaction to Epic's announcement and will no doubt eventually be adjusted to something that is actually sustainable long-term (as will Epic's 88/12 split, I strongly suspect).

To be clear, I do think there's wiggle room for Valve, The Big Three, etc. to increase the developer's cut without compromising the operational integrity of the platform (e.g. no need to pass on payment processing fees to customers), and that sweet spot is probably whatever CDPR has settled on.

Last edited:

Vault

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
Valve lowering their cut to 12% would be the worst thing that ever happened to PC gaming

Would kill off all Key sellers
would pass on the processing fees to the consumers
more expensive games
closed ecosystem
less choice

i like being able to shop around and find a good price for me.

GhostTrick

Oct 25, 2017

Yeah... You also have to get permission and buy dev kits from the 3. It's how it works. They also have to certify your work for it to be released on their platform as well. If they don't like it, they can reject it and have you fix the issues they have with it (Sony started censoring things iirc. Like nudity or something.).

Well at least it proves that you're not arguing in bad faith: You just dont know how things work.

No, Steam isn't just a "Windows app". It's an entire infrastructure. When your game unlocks achievement. When your game has leaderboards. When your game has matchmakings or even friend list support, it's all done through Steamworks API. It's not just "a launcher where you download an .EXE and start the game". It's also an implementation of the entire backend which games needs to implement a lot of stuff the OS doesnt take care of.

When you say "Valve developps nothing", it's false.
Valve develop a shiton of APIs for devs to use in their games. For the mods implementations, controller implementation (which, ironically, is FAR better than anything a console manufacturer did for their own controller).
They developped a VR API which is basically how some games can get VR support in the first place. And it's not locked to their headset or store. They developed various stuff for game developments. Steamworks is an entire SDK and one that I'd argue is above what you find on consoles in term of featureset.
The only difference here is that doesn't sell you the box. But Steam became an OS inside your OS.

In fact, if anything console manufacturers should take LESS than 30% because they do less. The fact that they SELL a console is a reason why they should take LESS.
The justification that they sell hardware for MONEY is completly dumb and unrelated.

Oct 25, 2017
You don't owe publishers and developers anything. They set the price of their products. The video games industry as a whole generated $135 billion last year. The CEOs of many of these companies are making 10s of millions each year. Nearly everyday we read new reports of worker mistreatment and other abuses. There is nothing altruistic about giving them more money.

Look out for your own best interests and don't worry about "games are dying" propaganda. These companies have lots of room to fall and still be OK.
This is the best post in this thread. This loyalty to publishers narrative has gotten really tiresome since this began.
I refuse to fuck myself over to satisfy these publishers/developers who are making tons of money already.
Nothing about this is "good" for consumers, I'd even argue it's not good for developers.

spineduke

Oct 25, 2017
The real problem isn't the cut itself - its the market thats exploded and as a consequence sales are even more unpredictable - so naturally the first place to look at is the storefront margins. It's a particularity bigger issue on PC where legacy software can be sold and compete indefinitely. I don't think the devs would be complaining as much if their software was still selling the same way it was in 2010.

The market has changed and visibility is the number one thing - but it seems most devs aren't prepared to address that through their own marketing. I can see that marketing can be hard to justify from a developer perspective when those same resources can be put into a better game. But given the market, it seems like its the only way.

Ploid 6.0

Oct 25, 2017
Well at least it proves that you're not arguing in bad faith: You just dont know how things work.

No, Steam isn't just a "Windows app". It's an entire infrastructure. When your game unlocks achievement. When your game has leaderboards. When your game has matchmakings or even friend list support, it's all done through Steamworks API. It's not just "a launcher where you download an .EXE and start the game". It's also an implementation of the entire backend which games needs to implement a lot of stuff the OS doesnt take care of.

When you say "Valve developps nothing", it's false.
Valve develop a shiton of APIs for devs to use in their games. For the mods implementations, controller implementation (which, ironically, is FAR better than anything a console manufacturer did for their own controller).
They developped a VR API which is basically how some games can get VR support in the first place. And it's not locked to their headset or store. They developed various stuff for game developments. Steamworks is an entire SDK and one that I'd argue is above what you find on consoles in term of featureset.
The only difference here is that doesn't sell you the box. But Steam became an OS inside your OS.

In fact, if anything console manufacturers should take LESS than 30% because they do less. The fact that they SELL a console is a reason why they should take LESS.
The justification that they sell hardware for MONEY is completly dumb and unrelated.
Like I said in an above reply, for some devs being on Steam's store is worth it for the exposure to it's community of players. Valve seem to have a way of making it's ecosystem attractive. I bought the darn Steam Controller not knowing I had to keep steam open to use it (they got me there), and then people are into card collecting, buying cheap codes from other storefronts that lead you back to Steam.

All that said, it's an app, not a platform that you have to develop so games can run on it, then collect funds for research on it's successor. Steam doesn't have to do any of that, it is a store on PC or the other computer OS. The research and development is done by Microsoft, Nvidia, AMD, Intel.

spineduke

Oct 25, 2017
All that said, it's an app, not a platform that you have to develop so games can run on it, then collect funds for research on it's successor. Steam doesn't have to do any of that, it is a store on PC or the other computer OS. The research and development is done by Microsoft, Nvidia, AMD, Intel.

They have development frameworks, networking frameworks and the Source engine (which Apex Legends is using), they have their Proton layer they're working on. Oh, and the VR efforts (go check out the Boneworks thread, its incredible with the new Knuckles controllers)

"They do nothing" is a really bad take.

GhostTrick

Oct 25, 2017
Like I said in an above reply, for some devs being on Steam's store is worth it for the exposure to it's community of players. Valve seem to have a way of making it's ecosystem attractive. I bought the darn Steam Controller not knowing I had to keep steam open to use it (they got me there), and then people are into card collecting, buying cheap codes from other storefronts that lead you back to Steam.

You mean the same AMD that do all the RD or close to for the SoC they sell to Sony/Microsoft ?

You keep claiming it's an app, I just proved you otherwise.

Heck why do you think your Steam Controller didnt worked well without it ?

Maybe, just maybe it's because of the freakin Steam Input API they developped ???

Steam is an OS within an OS.
Not an APP. It has all it's subset of APIs and a backend that has to be CODED into games.

Ploid 6.0

Oct 25, 2017
You mean the same AMD that do all the RD or close to for the SoC they sell to Sony/Microsoft ?

You keep claiming it's an app, I just proved you otherwise.

Heck why do you think your Steam Controller didnt worked well without it ?

Maybe, just maybe it's because of the freakin Steam Input API they developped ???

Steam is an OS within an OS.
Not an APP. It has all it's subset of APIs and a backend that has to be CODED into games.
About the first comment here. Just because AMD or Dolby, or Samsung made different parts of a product doesn't mean they basically did it all. It has to be cooled, it has to be made to run apps, it has to have protection to prevent piracy, there's more to it than who makes the tires, or the screws.

I know about Steam's API's and I think it's a good way to lock people into their store to motivate people to buy from them, or games with their DRM which require you on their app (data they can use for whatever, like google giving out free email, drive storage, and google home minis are practically given away with bread now (I wouldn't be surprised, got mine for $1 during that spotify promotion).

Let's put it like this, as long as developers pay the price, it's worth every penny. And a lot of them think it is worth it.

They have development frameworks, networking frameworks and the Source engine (which Apex Legends is using), they have their Proton layer they're working on. Oh, and the VR efforts (go check out the Boneworks thread, its incredible with the new Knuckles controllers)

"They do nothing" is a really bad take.
I did not say they didn't do anything " ", what the heck? I'm glad they are branching into Linux, and I'm super happy Google Stadia is using Linux. Anything to make sure Windows isn't the only place we have to play PC games. All it takes is for Microsoft to do something stupid, but hopefully with Google putting it's whole service on Linux that will shift developers to move over.

IMO of course, the equivalent would be Steam Machines with Steam OS, where they would have to keep going in a update cycle, always making new hardware to play future games. That stuff cost a lot of money, and they don't have to worry about any of that. Smart situation actually, though whoever else charge 30% and sell PC games are also smart. Again if publishers pay for it it's worth it.

Last edited:

Alexandros

Oct 26, 2017
Valve don't have a OS (outside of Steam Machines), or a console/hardware platform but their store and it's ecosystem/community seems to be worth it for devs. Maybe with google, and other stuff devs will wonder if it's worth that fee.

Others already replied before I got the chance to I'll just say two things. One, the console hardware platform isn't the only kind of platform out there. And two, console makers have a variety of revenue streams that Valve doesn't have. Valve's only revenue stream, with the exception of the Steam Controller and maybe Vive, is direct sales of content through the Steam client and website. Valve gets 0% from evrything else. A console maker makes money from hardware sales, retail game sales, digital game sales and online subscriptions. Personally I think that there's a much stronger case to be made about why console makers should be taking a smaller cut.

GhostTrick

Oct 25, 2017
About the first comment here. Just because AMD or Dolby, or Samsung made different parts of a product doesn't mean they basically did it all. It has to be cooled, it has to be made to run apps, it has to have protection to prevent piracy, there's more to it than who makes the tires, or the screws.

I know about Steam's API's and I think it's a good way to lock people into their store to motivate people to buy from them, or games with their DRM which require you on their app (data they can use for whatever, like google giving out free email, drive storage, and google home minis are practically given away with bread now (I wouldn't be surprised, got mine for $1 during that spotify promotion).

Let's put it like this, as long as developers pay the price, it's worth every penny. And a lot of them think it is worth it.

No, you clearly don't know it. How is it locking them into their store when it doesn't mandate purchase ? You're not making sense here.
"Their DRM which requires you on their app". You know the Steam DRM is optional ? There's a lot of Steamworks game that are DRM FREE. Please, inform yourself before taking these conversations because not only you're spreading bullshit but you're also dragging the conversation.

We're getting into conspiracy theories with blanket statements "I know about Steam's API" you clearly don't yet you claim to do so that you can say "it's just a trojan horse". It's an API and yes like every API it requires to be widespread to ensure compatibility.

About the first part of your comment: Yes and yet they sell these at a profit. The very idea that you're trying to paint it as a SERVICE they make to devs that EARNS them 30% when they SELL YOU stuff at a profit isn't only laughable: It's argued in bad faith and totally unrelated to that 30% fee which is the STORE FEE.

oni-link

tag reference no one gets
Oct 25, 2017
UK
I feel like they're using the cut as a smokescreen to draw attention away from the other negative aspects of their business plan

It's easy to say it's good for developers, and it probably is, but at the same time someone is having to cover costs, and they're moving that over to the consumer with some payment methods

I feel like the 30% cut is probably too much, but it's also industry standard so companies will naturally be reluctant to drop it. It will probably take a disruptive force like Epic to make any changes

I have no idea what % is sustainable but I'm pretty sure Valve would be just fine if they dropped it to 20% or 25%

It's a company with a few hundred employees where the owner is a billionaire. This narrative that they're only just keeping their head above water by taking 30% seems closer to fantasy than reality

In an ideal world they could drop to 25% and give that extra 5% back to developers

I can 100% see Epic upping their cut in the future, though probably not to 30%

Marukoban

Self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Well, my bad for reading a chart's title the way it's meant to be read, I guess?
Also apparently someone at Valve doesn't know the difference between revenue and sales, unless they categorize all transactions as sales.

In the era of GaaS and service-oriented development, you always prioritize for maximum impact with lowest effort. They launched an MVP (minimum viable product) for the EGS because getting into the market sooner is more beneficial than launching with a more feature-complete client with more payment options.

Epic knows their customers best. Given that up until December 2018, the majority of people with EGS were Fortnite players, and given that Fortnite players are overwhelmingly Western, it makes sense why they'd consider RoW (rest of world) features to be lower on the priority list.

And the thing is, RoW users from countries not named China do tend to be negligible from a business sense, in that the amount of effort required to get those customers is often not worth it. The brilliance of Steam is how it makes pricing and outreach for RoW so simple for the publisher.

Revenue and sales are often used interchangeably in business and accounting.

Jiffy Smooth

Dec 12, 2018
I feel like they're using the cut as a smokescreen to draw attention away from the other negative aspects of their business plan

It's easy to say it's good for developers, and it probably is, but at the same time someone is having to cover costs, and they're moving that over to the consumer with some payment methods

I feel like the 30% cut is probably too much, but it's also industry standard so companies will naturally be reluctant to drop it. It will probably take a disruptive force like Epic to make any changes

I have no idea what % is sustainable but I'm pretty sure Valve would be just fine if they dropped it to 20% or 25%

It's a company with a few hundred employees where the owner is a billionaire. This narrative that they're only just keeping their head above water by taking 30% seems closer to fantasy than reality

In an ideal world they could drop to 25% and give that extra 5% back to developers

I can 100% see Epic upping their cut in the future, though probably not to 30%

I don't think Epic's cut is sustainable, but Valve dropping their cut to "still twice what Epic take" probably wouldn't be great optics right now.

Ploid 6.0

Oct 25, 2017
No, you clearly don't know it. How is it locking them into their store when it doesn't mandate purchase ? You're not making sense here.
"Their DRM which requires you on their app". You know the Steam DRM is optional ? There's a lot of Steamworks game that are DRM FREE. Please, inform yourself before taking these conversations because not only you're spreading bullshit but you're also dragging the conversation.

We're getting into conspiracy theories with blanket statements "I know about Steam's API" you clearly don't yet you claim to do so that you can say "it's just a trojan horse". It's an API and yes like every API it requires to be widespread to ensure compatibility.

About the first part of your comment: Yes and yet they sell these at a profit. The very idea that you're trying to paint it as a SERVICE they make to devs that EARNS them 30% when they SELL YOU stuff at a profit isn't only laughable: It's argued in bad faith and totally unrelated to that 30% fee which is the STORE FEE.
I know some games don't require steam to run in order for you to launch it, but you are still on steam to enter the code, have your information tracked, and have your eyes on steam. It's not a bad thing it's well done.

I did not say it's a trojan horse... Trojan.. ok I did say they may find valuable info with the way you buy games, which they do with the recommend stuff. Just like Amazon, they see what games you have and try to sell you other games. I'm very familiar with Steam APIs specifically Steam Controller. I love it, and learned a lot about it. I listened to their controller talk where they want to simplify input across all games (Steam Dev Days Jeff Bellinghausen). I don't care much about the cards, I mess with it's VR UI and features (not a fan though).

Steam controller is ok without steam, you can still customize configs in a basic form (xinput + game profillers, which steam input kind of is), it's much better on Linux which has great custom drivers. While Steam Input is nice, it's usually weird, and things mess up often. It still a work in progress with trouble shooting being to join beta and see if it fix things, and if you were already in beta leave beta and see if things fix. Sometimes out of nowhere different buttons are activating when you didn't change anything. I still like it though, and I wish console manufacturers would do something similar so people wasn't stuck with settings devs provide.

Sean Mirrsen

Banned
May 9, 2018
Valve has been developing Linux into a gaming-compatible OS (they funded and supported all the recent rapid progress in that direction), they continuously add features to Steamworks (of which DRM is not even a tertiary purpose), they have matchmaking and content delivery servers across the world that they (will, soon) let developers use for free, they are responsible for the best controller input API in the industry, and the most flexible virtual reality infrastructure that they are also developing their own hardware for (Valve Index, with what was formerly known as Knuckles controllers), they have developed their own game streaming API that they're now expanding to worldwide over-the-net operation, and the Steam Big Picture Mode is an OS-within-an-OS that allows you to operate most if not all of Steam's functions with just a controller, including while streaming from your PC to your smart TV or phone/tablet. And they made the Source engine. This is not even taking the actual Steam storefront and its constant improvement into account.

So no, Valve do have a platform, one they are constantly expanding and improving through the money they get from operating it, and that platform is used by a variety of developers to make more and better games. Of all companies in the industry, there are few I am as glad to support with my money as Valve. They may take more than the current market feels to be okay with, they may not be using all of it in the right ways, they may certainly still improve, and definitely should - but as a consumer, I don't think my support of them is at all misplaced.

Pixieking

Oct 25, 2017
The real problem isn't the cut itself - its the market thats exploded and as a consequence sales are even more unpredictable - so naturally the first place to look at is the storefront margins. It's a particularity bigger issue on PC where legacy software can be sold and compete indefinitely. I don't think the devs would be complaining as much if their software was still selling the same way it was in 2010.

The market has changed and visibility is the number one thing - but it seems most devs aren't prepared to address that through their own marketing. I can see that marketing can be hard to justify from a developer perspective when those same resources can be put into a better game. But given the market, it seems like its the only way.

I mean, this whole post should really be expanded to a thread to have people really take notice of it. PS4 games aren't competing with PS3 games. Switch games aren't competing with Wii/WiiU games. XBOne games aren't competing with 360 games on the same level as PC, even with backwards compatibility. But PC games from the 90s are competing with PC games of today, on Steam.

Deleted member 15476

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
[offtopic]
Steam Controller works out of the box without steam on later linux kernels (>=4.18 iirc) and it just gives control back to steam whenever you launch the client. There is even an easy to use gtk app in order to configure it, just not as extensive as Valve's solution. I believe there was an userland driver utility at some point as well.
[/offtopic]

Deleted member 9305

Oct 26, 2017
I think Valve deserves the 30% cut, they are doing a lot of good things for endusers.

Kd8RaXI.png

source

1yfZ6EB.png

I don't really feel like EGS deserves their 12% cut.

Last edited:

GhostTrick

Oct 25, 2017
I know some games don't require steam to run in order for you to launch it, but you are still on steam to enter the code, have your information tracked, and have your eyes on steam. It's not a bad thing it's well done.

I did not say it's a trojan horse... Trojan.. ok I did say they may find valuable info with the way you buy games, which they do with the recommend stuff. Just like Amazon, they see what games you have and try to sell you other games. I'm very familiar with Steam APIs specifically Steam Controller. I love it, and learned a lot about it. I listened to their controller talk where they want to simplify input across all games (Steam Dev Days Jeff Bellinghausen). I don't care much about the cards, I mess with it's VR UI and features (not a fan though).

Steam controller is ok without steam, you can still customize configs in a basic form (xinput + game profillers, which steam input kind of is), it's much better on Linux which has great custom drivers. While Steam Input is nice, it's usually weird, and things mess up often. It still a work in progress with trouble shooting being to join beta and see if it fix things, and if you were already in beta leave beta and see if things fix. Sometimes out of nowhere different buttons are activating when you didn't change anything. I still like it though, and I wish console manufacturers would do something similar so people wasn't stuck with settings devs provide.

Speaking of Linux, there's also Proton. But I guess "it's just an app".
In any case, when you say "it's just an app", it's straigth up bs. It's also an SDK. Yes, you still have to use Steam to download games even DRM free ones. And ? I mean at some point, what should we expect ? Buying games, receiving a mail with a download page ? How do you get from "buying the game" to "downloading it" without any service ? Even GOG requires you to login on their site to download your stuff.

Ploid 6.0

Oct 25, 2017
I was pulling for Steam Machines (birth of steam input, and steam controller right?), and was excited when the news of Steam for Linux Proton was announced, with people trying different games and comparing it to windows. That feeling of not having PC gaming so tied down to what Microsoft feels like doing (upgrade to Windows 15 if you want to continue gaming). I hope devs use Vulkan more often.
[offtopic]
Steam Controller works out of the box without steam on later linux kernels (>=4.18 iirc) and it just gives control back to steam whenever you launch the client. There is even an easy to use gtk app in order to configure it, just not as extensive as Valve's solution. I believe there was an userland driver utility at some point as well.
[/offtopic]
Seriously, I was so jealous. It seems like they can't do it on Windows. We have some stuff though.

Ploid 6.0

Oct 25, 2017
Speaking of Linux, there's also Proton. But I guess "it's just an app".
In any case, when you say "it's just an app", it's straigth up bs. It's also an SDK. Yes, you still have to use Steam to download games even DRM free ones. And ? I mean at some point, what should we expect ? Buying games, receiving a mail with a download page ? How do you get from "buying the game" to "downloading it" without any service ? Even GOG requires you to login on their site to download your stuff.
I only mention that because it seems people think Valve gets nothing out of it. I wish more PC games were available on other stores than Steam, but they are comfortable with only offering a Steam version, and Steam only is better than nothing for sure. Hopefully in the future they will put their games on steam + other stores by default.