• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

mindatlarge

Oct 27, 2017
PA, USA
The online business I work for factors in about 15% going towards processing fees for every transaction, such as PayPal and the like. We then factor those fees into the price of our goods and services. For us though, we don't sell goods with MSRP, as we are in the secondary market, so I can imagine these sort of fees are really tough for a business operating with more of a standard pricing structure.

test_account

Oct 25, 2017
I recall once using steam wallet + credit card to buy something on steam.
The only way I can think of to do that on steam is by putting money into your wallet by one payment method, then part paying a purchase with what's in the wallet and another payment method to cover the rest. Bit of a faff to do.
You can pay with Walled + other payment method on Steam.
With Steam, you can use Wallet funds + another payment method to make up the difference
Thanks, that would make sense. I was first thinking about using two different cards to pay for one game. Its the same on the PS Store as well (and every other store that also have a wallet i assume). That if you have e.g $10 in your wallet there, and a game cost $20, you only need to add $10 more to the wallet to do the purchase. Doesnt Epic Store has a wallet like this?

Kurt Russell

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Steam already improved their revenue share scheme in response to EGS.
Added review filtering for review bombing too. So yes, it's helping devs.

Review filtering to counter review bombing doesn't have a lot to do with a platform that doesn't even have user reviews... And the revenue share update was before the EGS was even announced. What's next, that Steam is updating its UI in response to the EGS?

OP
OP
dex3108

dex3108

Oct 26, 2017
Thanks, that would make sense. I was first thinking about using two different cards to pay for one game. Its the same on the PS Store as well (and every other store that also have a wallet i assume). That if you have e.g $10 in your wallet there, and a game cost $20, you only need to add $10 more to the wallet to do the purchase. Doesnt Epic Store has a wallet like this?

No for now.

Nome

Designer / Self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
NYC
Review filtering to counter review bombing doesn't have a lot to do with a platform that doesn't even have user reviews... And the revenue share update was before the EGS was even announced. What's next, that Steam is updating its UI in response to the EGS?
1. Review bombing is one of the reasons commonly cited by EGS reps are one of the things devs complained about, hence why EGS launched without reviews.
2. Steam revenue share scheme was announced less than a week before EGS announcement. It was clearly to preempt EGS and in response to devs communicating to Valve that they were pulling out.

Armaros

Oct 25, 2017

Remember when news of the Valve private Network being setup for beta for developers to use? That had been ongoing for well over a year, well before even a hint of the Epic store and everyone start shouting how the Epic store caused it.

z1ggy

Oct 25, 2017
Argentina
Everything that Valve does from now on will be seen as a reply to EGS and will be used as an excuse to Epic is making PC gaming better

Also Nome correlation does not imply causation.

Armaros

Oct 25, 2017
1. Review bombing is one of the reasons commonly cited by EGS reps are one of the things devs complained about, hence why EGS launched without reviews.
2. Steam revenue share scheme was announced less than a week before EGS announcement. It was clearly to preempt EGS and in response to devs communicating to Valve that they were pulling out.

Besides the fact that Steam Reviews have been consistently being updated over time to combat review bombing. First being the timeline that allows you to see when reviews were showing up so you could see if something was being review bombed or was just actually bad. Unless we are now retroactively attributing all that work to the epic store?

the_wart

Oct 25, 2017
Steam already improved their revenue share scheme in response to EGS.
Added review filtering for review bombing too. So yes, it's helping devs.

Source on the revenue share?

And Valve has been continually adjusting how it Steam user reviews for years. The notion that the continuation of incremental improvements to Steam must be directly caused by the Epic Game Store is totally baseless. Besides, games aren't going EGS exclusive because of anything related to user reviews, they're doing it because of "deals" with large publishers and a tiny number of indie devs with name recognition.

The broader point is that EGS is competing with Valve for large publishers and handful of others. There's no reason to think this will improve the lot of 99% of devs.

I'm sorry, the idea of using EGS rep statements as representative of developer opinion, let alone a source for causal inference regarding anyone's decision-making, is completely absurd.

BlueOdin

Oct 26, 2017

Even if the updated revenue share was announced before the EGS, you can bet that Valve knew about it before.

The measurements against review bombing might have been not related to the EGS at all. We'll probably never know. People will tell it's because of EGS even if they don't offer a good solution to the problem at all. It might also be because Valve listened to feedback which people like to pretend they don't.

Nome

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
NYC
Everything that Valve does from now on will be seen as a reply to EGS and will be used as an excuse to Epic is making PC gaming better

Also Nome correlation does not imply causation.
Source on the revenue share?

And Valve has been continually adjusting how it Steam user reviews for years. The notion that the continuation of incremental improvements to Steam must be directly caused by the Epic Game Store is totally baseless. Besides, games aren't going EGS exclusive because of anything related to user reviews, they're doing it because of "deals" with large publishers and a tiny number of indie devs with name recognition.

The broader point is that EGS is competing with Valve for large publishers and handful of others. There's no reason that this would improve the lot of 99% of devs.
Do y'all really think that Valve would update their revenue share scheme out of the blue, with no benefit to themselves? Come on.
Some people in this thread also act like Valve got blindsided with the EGS announcement, as if they didn't know for weeks/months that it was coming. Even I heard rumors well before their announcement.

Kyougar

Cute Animal Whisperer
Nov 3, 2017
Do y'all really think that Valve would update their revenue share scheme out of the blue, with no benefit to themselves? Come on.
Some people in this thread also act like Valve got blindsided with the EGS announcement, as if they didn't know for weeks/months that it was coming. Even I heard rumors well before their announcement.

And I heard rumors about Valve changing their revenue share 2 years before! my rumors are older than your rumors. checkmate!

Sean Mirrsen

Banned
May 9, 2018
So what you're saying is, not only is Epic saving the PC market, they are saving the console one as well? How are the issues you mentioned a PC-only/Steam issue?
I think the rest of my post that you partially quoted explained exactly what I was saying, without the need to guess by saying "so what you're saying":
So yeah, as a whole the industry's not doing too good right now. Epic's approach is theoretically addressing both points I mentioned, but the marginally higher gains are not going to stop the exploitative AAA monetization models or halt the growth of AAA development budgets, and curation as a concept has been tried out by numerous platforms, including GOG.com and Steam itself, and it doesn't do anything to stop the spreading of smaller titles because more and more people want to get in, and their failure to get through curation can and will result in repeats of the same things that went on with Steam. So basically, they're exploiting customers in order to half-assedly address an actual issue in the industry, while fully understanding - hopefully, otherwise they are idiots - the futility of the attempt.
Hell of a run-on sentence at the start there though, I must admit. I probably should have re-read that part and broken it up a bit to make reading it easier.

Can you provide any evidence for the "collapsing AAA bubble"? Cause all I see is Activision, Ubisoft etc reporting record revenue and sales figures.
Mass layoffs coupled with record revenue, widespread complaints of insufficient profits, the rise of Games as a Service, MTX, and other continuous monetization models, etc, are part of what points to it. Record revenue on an explosively expanding userbase means fairly little in itself, the increase is natural as the potential audience size increases - what matters is the difference between that and the skyrocketing costs of game development, driven by ever-increasing demands on graphics fidelity and game scale. On top of that the increasing demands are also hitting developers themselves, as game development cycles slowly but surely lengthen because there's only so much crunch people can endure, necessitating even more funding to support the companies between releases. Conditions at major development teams worsen, as we see more and more reports of it. Several large games have already been driven to failure, due to various complications arising from shoehorning more unique genres into the more profitable monetization models, and from developer and management fatigue. AAA games are becoming too enormous to sustain themselves, game development is becoming too stressful on the developers and costs are starting to be shifted further onto consumers, and unless a paradigm shift happens that allows AAA games to cost less and be developed faster, the AAA gaming market might collapse. Just making customers pay more, and giving the publishers a little more money saved from omitting customer service features, won't do much more than delay the effect.

Deleted member 42

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 24, 2017
I'm gonna guess devs started pressing Valve on the shares once word of the EGS being in fruition started

I dunno about correlation -> causation, but devs and storefronts are always gonna fight over that gwap

Kurt Russell

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017

So can we all start talking about rumors, or make up stuff? Like, people who accused Epic of being Tencent puppets got (rightly) called out for saying stuff without proof, but you can act like everything Valve does or did just before the EGS was announced is a response to the EGS and thus "competition is good for us".

I'm gonna guess devs started pressing Valve on the shares once word of the EGS being in fruition started

I dunno about correlation -> causation, but devs and storefronts are always gonna fight over that gwap

Why was Tom Giardino's tweet "irresponsible"?

z1ggy

Oct 25, 2017
Argentina
Everything that a company does is to benefit itself, that doesnt mean what they did or what are doing is exactly because of EGS. Maybe its, maybe it isnt. But like i said correlation does not imply causation unless theres something showing that Epic was the causation.

Also i dont think Valve will just sit and do nothing but you know what? I think this time around, Valves usual silence and keep upgrading the client is the best strategy at least, for now.

If EGS were doing great sales wise they would be dick waving

Nome

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
NYC
Everything that a company does is to benefit itself, that doesnt mean what they did or what are doing is exactly because of EGS. Maybe its, maybe it isnt. But like i said correlation does not imply causation unless theres something showing that Epic was the causation.

Also i dont think Valve will just sit and do nothing but you know what? I think this time around, Valves usual silence and keep upgrading the client is the best strategy at least, for now.

If EGS were doing great sales wise they would be dick waving
The writing's on the wall here. If your standard of proof here is Valve has to come out and namedrop Epic, then I don't know what to say. It's pretty obvious to everyone else in the industry. I feel like I'm having to overexplain the most basic things.

the_wart

Oct 25, 2017

Valve already had an incentive to adjust revenue share based on large publishers leaving for their own platforms. The new revenue share benefits (say it with me now) large publishers and a tiny number of indie devs.

Ghostwalker

Oct 30, 2017
Looking at all the limits put that Epic has placed on it ability to choose payment methods and enter foreign markets I do not think the 88% cut is worth it

In terms of revenue the difference between a 70% cut and 88% cut is a little over 25%. Soif a game got $1,000k onEpic you would get $880k.and if it is on Steam though their bigger user base, more payment options and access to more countries generates just 26% more, $1,260k you would make more money on Steam $882k. This is not counting any sales you get selling keys outside of Steam or other ways you can genrate income on Steam.

So if you think a game will sell just a little better on Steam then Epic is not really worth it except as a secondary platform or if they give you a big bag of money I suspect that is why Microsoft gave The Outer Worlds to Epic and let Steam have Halo.

Deleted member 42

Banned
Oct 24, 2017
Valve already had an incentive to adjust revenue share based on large publishers leaving for their own platforms. The new revenue share benefits (say it with me now) large publishers and a tiny number of indie devs.

Yeah I'm gonna hazard a guess that pubs and devs have been quietly pressing Valve on this for a year or two now

They didn't acquiesce or didn't give enough for their liking, so pubs started making their own launchers

Nov 8, 2017
Looking at all the limits put that Epic has placed on it ability to choose payment methods and enter foreign markets I do not think the 88% cut is worth it

In terms of revenue the difference between a 70% cut and 88% cut is a little over 25%. Soif a game got $1,000k onEpic you would get $880k.and if it is on Steam though their bigger user base, more payment options and access to more countries generates just 26% more, $1,260k you would make more money on Steam $882k. This is not counting any sales you get selling keys outside of Steam or other ways you can genrate income on Steam.

So if you think a game will sell just a little better on Steam then Epic is not really worth it except as a secondary platform or if they give you a big bag of money I suspect that is why Microsoft gave The Outer Worlds to Epic and let Steam have Halo.

Microsoft didn't give The Outer Worlds to EGS, Take 2 did. You'll also note that Take 2 is doing borderlands 3 on EGS.

Sean Mirrsen

Banned
May 9, 2018
The theory of devs equipped with foreknowledge of the Epic Games Store months in advance, rather clashes with the reality of the jump to EGS for the first few exclusive titles being so rushed that they had to put stickers on physical copies and kept using Steam logos in marketing for a while after the announcement by inertia.

And I will echo the other posters' question, why were the tweets about cash card costs irresponsible?

SteveWinwood

Oct 25, 2017
USA USA USA

youre right its not worth it at all which is why they have to give them giant piles of money

also 2k wanted the money and it was their choice thats why the outer worlds went to epic games store

how much of that money do the devs get? i dunno

but it sure seemed to catch them by suprise so im going to guess not much

Mentalist

Mar 14, 2019

Microsoft aren't publishing The Outer Worlds. Private Division (2K) is. The only concession to Microsoft now owning the IP by buying Obsidian was having to release it on the WinStore as well, but the publishing rights for Outer Worlds still rest with 2K

Delusibeta

Prophet of Truth
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
EGS going to be a monkey paw situation for devs I feel.
Ultimately, we already know that AAA can survive on PC without Steam (e.g. Origin, Black Ops 4, Destiny 2 etc). What we've not seen is indie games reliably doing well on PC outside of Steam, and there's zero evidence of EGS being the land of milk and honey for indie devs. Compare and contrast the multiple reports of an indie game selling multiple times more on Switch compared to Steam.

MrBob

Oct 25, 2017
Mass layoffs coupled with record revenue, widespread complaints of insufficient profits, the rise of Games as a Service, MTX, and other continuous monetization models, etc, are part of what points to it. Record revenue on an explosively expanding userbase means fairly little in itself, the increase is natural as the potential audience size increases - what matters is the difference between that and the skyrocketing costs of game development, driven by ever-increasing demands on graphics fidelity and game scale. On top of that the increasing demands are also hitting developers themselves, as game development cycles slowly but surely lengthen because there's only so much crunch people can endure, necessitating even more funding to support the companies between releases. Conditions at major development teams worsen, as we see more and more reports of it. Several large games have already been driven to failure, due to various complications arising from shoehorning more unique genres into the more profitable monetization models, and from developer and management fatigue. AAA games are becoming too enormous to sustain themselves, game development is becoming too stressful on the developers and costs are starting to be shifted further onto consumers, and unless a paradigm shift happens that allows AAA games to cost less and be developed faster, the AAA gaming market might collapse. Just making customers pay more, and giving the publishers a little more money saved from omitting customer service features, won't do much more than delay the effect.

Big publishers have been consolidating behind their own launchers on PC already. Blizzard games and now Activision developed games it seems are tucked behind Battle.net (or Blizzard launcher). EA games are locked behind origin. UBI games seem to be increasingly going almost Uplay exclusive. Fallout 76 is tied to the Bethesda launcher (until Steam release later this year).

While I think you are right with the issues of "AAA" games, I don't see how they are linked to steam or egs.

z1ggy

Oct 25, 2017
Argentina
The writing's on the wall here. If your burden of proof here is Valve has to come out and namedrop Epic, then I don't know what to say. It's pretty obvious to everyone else in the industry. I feel like I'm having to overexplain the most basic things.
Proof would be EGS dick waving and Steam losing costumers, which none has happened so far. Valve is a market leader, market leaders usually focus on itself and how to grow market share and get into new territory.

If you dont what to say probably is wise to not say anything at all i guess. Also what everyone else is obvious in the industry i dont know, i dont know everyone. Unless we get into the fallacy of authority argument.

Jonnax

Oct 26, 2017
You don't owe publishers and developers anything. They set the price of their products. The video games industry as a whole generated $135 billion last year. The CEOs of many of these companies are making 10s of millions each year. Nearly everyday we read new reports of worker mistreatment and other abuses. There is nothing altruistic about giving them more money.

Look out for your own best interests and don't worry about "games are dying" propaganda. These companies have lots of room to fall and still be OK.
I don't see how this then means that Valve deserves their 30%.

Merc

Jun 10, 2018
I love the idea of having the payment vendor's process fee added to the consumer to pay and have it shown for each one. This hopefully can make it so developers get more of the pie. Also brings more awareness to the consumer on how expensive some of these companies charge for a payment fee.

Oct 27, 2017
I love the idea of having the payment vendor's process fee added to the consumer to pay and have it shown for each one. This hopefully can make it so developers get more of the pie. Also brings more awareness to the consumer on how expensive some of these companies charge for a payment fee.
This has to be sarcasm / trolling lmao

Armaros

Oct 25, 2017

So you support developing countries paying more money for the same game?

Sean Mirrsen

Banned
May 9, 2018
While I think you are right with the issues of "AAA" games, I don't see how they are linked to steam or egs.
They're not, directly. I used a humorous simile to respond to EGS being "a step forward" for PC gaming, in that the step may well be off into disaster that PC gaming is said to be standing on the brink of. Users asked to clarify the nature of the disaster, so I did.

And EGS is trying to "make things better for everybody even if we don't see it", hence my comments on how it's a futile endeavor unless they find a way to pull from the other direction, i.e. make games cost less time and money, rather than making customers pay even more than the industry has pushed them to paying over the last few years to sustain itself.

the_wart

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah I'm gonna hazard a guess that pubs and devs have been quietly pressing Valve on this for a year or two now

They didn't acquiesce or didn't give enough for their liking, so pubs started making their own launchers

Right. I don't wanna end up pushing a strawman argument like, it's totally impossible that EGS had any effect on Valve's decisions regarding Steam. But it seems to me that it's a normal continuation of the kinds of competitive pressure Steam has been facing for years rather than some kind of paradigm shift. And, like before, the primary beneficiaries are large publishers.

Sean Mirrsen

Banned
May 9, 2018
So you support developing countries paying more money for the same game?
I'd even reframe the question slightly, as "developing countries" are also countries with less buying power and less money per capita by default. Making it a system of "the rich pay less, the poor pay more", which is just wrong on several levels.

Deleted member 9237

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
It's a bit of a shit comparison to say you're taking 12% when you add transaction fees on top of the listed price. Then you actually just sell the game for more (why would consumers choose that?) and taking a bigger cut (some of which you subsequently lose) than you claim.

Deleted member 42

Banned
Oct 24, 2017
Right. I don't wanna end up pushing a strawman argument like, it's totally impossible that EGS had any effect on Valve's decisions regarding Steam. But it seems to me that it's a normal continuation of the kinds of competitive pressure Steam has been facing for years rather than some kind of paradigm shift. And, like before, the primary beneficiaries are large publishers.

Eh who knows really, in my head it's always something like this

Valve: You can't break these cuffs
Bethesda: We're gonna break these cuffs
Valve: Go ahead, try it
*Bethesda pulls all their games for their own launcher*
Valve: Oh
Bethesda: Wait we like money
Valve: We like money too
*They work it out*

Best comparison I can think of is when cable channels fall off Comcast or Spectrum or some such and then it's a lot of maneuvering back and forth

Kurt Russell

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Eh who knows really, in my head it's always something like this

Valve: You can't break these cuffs
Bethesda: We're gonna break these cuffs
Valve: Go ahead, try it
*Bethesda pulls all their games for their own launcher*
Valve: Oh
Bethesda: Wait we like money
Valve: We like money too
*They work it out*

Best comparison I can think of is when cable channels fall off Comcast or Spectrum or some such and then it's a lot of maneuvering back and forth

By the way, what was the reasoning behind calling Tom Giardino's tweet about Steam cards "irresponsible"?

Thanks.

Ghostwalker

Oct 30, 2017
We simply don't know the details of the the agreement between Take-Two and Microsoft to make such an inference.

Microsoft is worth around $753 billion
Take-Two is worth around $3.2 billion and is dependent on Microsoft for a good deal if it revinue.

That is all the details you need to know. MS got exactly what it wanted.

Or to put it more simply MS say "Jump" Take Two say "How High"

Sean Mirrsen

Banned
May 9, 2018
Compare and contrast the multiple reports of an indie game selling multiple times more on Switch compared to Steam.
I think the comparison to Switch is definitely interesting, as the EGS are obviously trying to leverage the same type of idea for attracting devs - i.e. having a platform with a number of high-profile exclusive titles, and offering high visibility for low-profile titles that they couldn't get elsewhere. (I mean attracting them long-term, after the buying-out well has run dry)

The key difference that the EGS has with the Switch, is that the value of visibility on that platform largely has more to do with the quality of the platform, rather than the exclusives. It's great to get a slot in a Nindies Direct, because the Switch has a massive audience uniquely driven to experience smaller, more gameplay-focused titles, thanks to unique advantages of the hardware platform.

On EGS, the visibility is worth less than nothing, as EGS itself, as a platform, for a customer evokes nothing but disdain and/or pity. What audience it has is only there for the high-profile exclusives, and nothing else will succeed there.

Nov 8, 2017
MS own Obsidian and as demonstarted by the fact the game is apearing on the Windows Store they had a say what platforms this game came out on. If they wanted it on Steam it would be.

Take 2 is publishing The Outer Worlds, they decide where it launches. Microsoft owns the developer but beyond torpedoing the whole game and breaching contract, it's not clear how they would have a say over decisions of this nature. The game is also launching on ps4 even though Microsoft owns Obsidian.

They may also have worked out a deal with Microsoft separately for win 10 store, but it was not a MS decision to put the game on EGS and not Steam. More likely, EGS doesn't care greatly about the Microsoft store because it's an industry non-factor in the PC space and maintaining good relations with Microsoft is worth letting it launch on a store with basically no customers. This isn't the first game whose PC version was EGS exclusive except for the win 10 store after all.

SFLUFAN

Oct 27, 2017
Alexandria, VA
Heck, for all we know the game could've been coming to the Windows 10 Store anyway from the outset as well as Steam (like many other titles have) before Take-Two entered the deal for timed EGS exclusivity.