• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

dex3108

Oct 26, 2017
Big point that Epic is using for pushing their Store (beside exclusives) is 12%/88% split. That really is amazing and it is great for developers. But (there is always but in life) unfortunately that 12% doesn't come for free. In this case it comes for free for developers and Epic but customers who decide to use payment methods that are not "industry norm" , according to Epic, Will need to cover payment fees.

As you can see Epic is not hiding that. Now let's see how high those fees. Based on supported payment methods they could range from 5 to 7%

PAGAyN1.png

And then we have cases for yet unsupported methods that can go up to 25%

Then we have info from Valve presented at this years GDC where they revealed that almost 90% payments in Asia alone come from non standard payment methods. Unfortunately they didn't reveal exact cut but Valve supports over 100 payment methods so fees for those probably vary a lot. What we know is that one of the more popular payment methods in Asia is cash, and specially Steam Wallet Cards (we have data only for Asia but from roaming around the reddit and forums you can notice that it is very popular payment method in many other countries where PayPal or CC is not used that much). And those cards as you can see cost Valve 10-15% (as far as i know that is more-less standard rate for any Wallet Card). So based on this data Epic Store simply can't afford to include some of these payment methods with 12% cut and as we can see many markets ask for those payment methods (please watch Valve GDC presentation about doing business in emerging markets).

So as you can see that is one example of what it costs to lower Store cut that much. But there is another one. Second thing are 3rd party key sellers like GMG, Humble Bundle, Voidu, Fanatical... And this has 2 things attached to itself. First thing is that at 12% Epic needs all money they can get to run a store, but if games from Epic Store are sold elsewhere for lower price (3rd party key sellers can lower their cut even more) and they are selling well (based on Steam Reviews for recent big games 20-50% Reviews are coming from users who bought game outside Steam) they could be in trouble. If 30% of total buyers buy game outside of Epic Store technically Epic is getting 8%. And according to Tim Sweeney that is enough to cover costs, but if you are running business you need profit. So Epic has a choice either to start charging developers for keys as they are doing for now limit sales to one store (Humble Bundle) or don't allow sales outside their store.

Second thing regarding 3rd party key sellers is actual discount. Right now that 30% cut allows many 3rd party key sellers to drop the price up to 25% for pre-orders and day 1 purchases. That of course attracts huge amount of customers and as we could see before that is something that Epic really can't afford to allow. So as consequence if those stores get to sell Epic Store keys they will probably be limited how big discounts they can offer (something like GMG and their PlayStation offers that are max 7% off if i remember correctly).

As you can see 12% really is awesome deal for developers but it comes with huge cost for many customers. As much as it is great to support developers customers will in most cases look themselves first (that is their right after all). And this could lead to potential issue. But that doesn't mean that Valve can't lower their cut (as we could see they can and they did based on amount of money game generated). But even that can be improved, they probably still have a bit more room to do something. But based on data we have today 12% that Epic asks for is not good middle ground between developer needs and what customers are looking for.

If mods thing that this is not worth discussing or that i didn't covered it well, feel free to lock the thread.

Jakisthe

Oct 25, 2017
I wish they'd be more up front about this on the store itself, or that anyone would report on it, but oh well.

Last edited:
Staff Post: Discussion Guidelines (read before posting)

Finale Fireworker

Love each other or die trying.
Oct 25, 2017
United States
Official Staff Communication
Reminder:

Given the volatility in recent Epic Game Store related threads we have decided that some clearer guidelines are required to cultivate healthier discussion.

• Do not enter these threads in bad faith. If we conclude that your goal is to misrepresent the concerns of other users or rile people up, you will be moderated. Intent matters here. Honest questions or commentary about the differences and similarities between the Epic Games Store and other storefronts are fine. Deliberately and dismissively attempting to troll concerned members on those topics is not okay. These discussions must be held in good faith and in a civil manner.
  • As a reminder, antagonizing or engaging in personal attacks on other members is still against the rules. We have a large community with a wide range of preferences and personal priorities. Not everyone will feel the same way as you do on any given topic. If you feel a post is breaking a rule please report it and do not respond with hostility. If you choose to engage do so politely. We always check to see which users have a history of trouble in this area.
  • It is perfectly acceptable to want to wait for a game to be released on the storefront of your preference (ex: "I'll just wait for the Steam release.") It is not acceptable to troll threads because of storefront exclusivity timed or otherwise (ex: "So the real PC release is going to be a year later.") The latter is needlessly inflammatory and distracts from discussion. We will be scrutinizing these posts more closely going forward.
  • Do not advocate, defend, or admit to piracy under any circumstances. This is explicitly against our Terms of Service. There are no justifications that will make this acceptable.
Addendum: It's fine and often healthy to be critical of media coverage (ex: "I don't think this article is good and here's why"), but please avoid going down any rabbit holes with excessive vitriol and conspiracy theories (ex: "This outlet is clearly paid off because I don't agree with their coverage"). We've long had a general policy against hyperbolic vilification of the media and that rule has not been suspended.

VN1X

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Oh what, they don't even take PP? Meaning even if I wanted to I still wouldn't be able to actually buy anything of their store?!

Mars People

Comics Council 2020
Oct 25, 2017
So once again the Epic store absolutely sucks for consumers?
Zero insentive for me to ever buy from them.

SFLUFAN

Oct 27, 2017
Alexandria, VA
Second thing regarding 3rd party key sellers is actual discount. Right now that 30% cut allows many 3rd party key sellers to drop the price up to 25% for pre-orders and day 1 purchases. That of course attracts huge amount of customers and as we could see before that is something that Epic really can't afford to allow. So as consequence if those stores get to sell Epic Store keys they will probably be limited how big discounts they can offer (something like GMG and their PlayStation offers that are max 7% off if i remember correctly).

Until I see EGS titles on third-party key sellers/distributors with similar discounts to those that I see for Steam titles, then I will not consider it to be "legitimate" competition for Steam. This means Epic would have to take a 0% cut for EGS titles sold on those sites in the same way Valve takes a 0% cut for Steam titles on those storefronts.

MJnR

Mar 13, 2019
"Not sure why you'd want to sponsor payment methods that can take up to 25% of the transaction, though."

This says enough about this. With a 12% cut, unless you want to drop processing fees on your customers, you can't support regional payment processors, limiting a ton of users in Asia and LATAM.

Mars People

Comics Council 2020
Oct 25, 2017
Until I see EGS titles on third-party key sellers/distributors with similar discounts to those that I see for Steam titles, then I will not consider it to be "legitimate" competition for Steam.
Exactly.
Where is the benefit for me as customer?
I can't even shop around on 3rd party sellers.

VN1X

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
They do accept PayPal including Wallet purchases but you need to have funding method attached to it.
Ah so as long as its directly tied to your bank account you'd be able to use it on EGS, gotcha. Was a bit confused there (and didn't realise that was still a distinction these days).

Big-E

Oct 25, 2017
That quote from Sweeney about why Valve takes 30% everywhere is such a trash quote. Like pretty much all the stores take 30% and then Epic comes along and now it is seen as this horrible thing but there are huge caveats to their 12% for the consumer.

MrBob

Oct 25, 2017
Thanks for taking the time to do this. A good resource to look back at in the future.

Until I see EGS titles on third-party key sellers/distributors with similar discounts to those that I see for Steam titles, then I will not consider it to be "legitimate" competition for Steam.
Same. Selling at different store don't matter if prices are being fixed. Sweeney said more store support is coming so let's see if there is actual price competition.

If a can buy a game cheaper from a authorized seller there is no point to buy from egs so I'm skeptical prices won't be fixed.

Harlequin

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I think the best option here would be to give devs/pubs the choice of whether they want to swallow the processing fees themselves or pass them on to the consumer. Ideally with the option to set a max percentage (say, you as a dev decide to swallow processing fees up to 5% of the sales price, for example, then if there's a processing fee of 10%, the customer will only have to pay half of that) to account for edge case methods with exorbitant processing fees. That way you could still get the higher margin on sales that were made using "standard" payment methods without alienating users who maybe only have access to "non-standard" payment methods. And considering most of the fees seem to be hovering around 5%, you'd still end up with more than 70% of the sales price in most of those cases, too.

SFLUFAN

Oct 27, 2017
Alexandria, VA
Thanks for taking the time to do this. A good resource to look back at in the future.

Same. Selling at different store don't matter if prices are being fixed. Sweeney said more store support is coming so let's see if there is actual price competition.

Which is why I don't even consider the arrangement with Humble as evidence of Epic's commitment to support third-party sites.

Ichi

Banned
Sep 10, 2018
User banned (1 week): drive-by trolling and ignoring the OP + history of similar behaviour
You can't beat 88-12 split. That Fortnite money doing devs good.

Mr. X

Oct 25, 2017
So right now Steam eats the transaction fees and EGS solution is for the consumer to eat the transaction fee (which in time probably become devs eat the fee)?

Any Questions

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
UK
Am not fussed over all this. I download the Epic launcher and just now downloaded The Witness for free (I bought it on PS4 when it came out) and was happy enough with the layout etc. It's super early days and am the modding etc will come. Am happy not to use PayPal and am prepared to see what happens over time. Steam is great but at the end of the day it's a place to buy a game to play. Personality am not fussy as I don't get stressed over the extras

funky

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I would rather they take whatever cut is necessary for that form of payment then just take 30% from everything

Error 52

Banned
Nov 1, 2017
Yeah, but it's competition! This is what competition gives us! Higher prices, less features, and less options!

Wait.

Morrigan

Spear of the Metal Church
Oct 24, 2017
"Supporting developers? Lol good one. The industry can go piss itself"
That's a rather uncharitable take on that post. We're all game customers here, and there is nothing wrong with customers wanting to shop around for deals, or preferring stores that offer them advantages.
"Supporting developers" for its own sake is a nice gesture, and I've done it (I backed La-Mulana 2 on Kickstarter despite how I'm probably never going to play it, since I found La-Mulana 1 to be too hard and gave up on it, but I wanted to support the devs -- I'll also probably buy extra copies of Silksong when it comes out, despite having access to it for free thanks to my SO being a backer + Steam family sharing), but I wouldn't expect or demand others to do the same.

IIFloodyII

Oct 26, 2017
I always wondered how pre-paid cards affected the platform holders, but never enough to look it up, kinda about what I suspected, it comes out of their cut.
I'd much rather the costs get past to the companies, than consumers, odds are they are better off than the average consumer is.

Astra Planeta

Jan 26, 2018
So, if I am understanding this right, steam 30% everywhere is essentially allowing them to just eat the payment cost in other regions? And Epic only charges 12% so it cant do that?

Deleted member 11626

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I appreciate the effort that went into your post OP. I think it's worth pointing out that it isn't the consumer's job to support the developer/publisher by paying more than they would otherwise, if it wasn't for the exclusivity deals. Whether that's the lack of third party keys or payment options in other countries, Epic passing the costs on to consumers is bullshit, point blank.

So, if I am understanding this right, steam 30% everywhere is essentially allowing them to just eat the payment cost in other regions? And Epic only charges 12% so it cant do that?

Because of 3rd party keys that Valve gets no cut from, and because of their progressive revenue model,
Valve rarely ends up taking a whole 30%. But yes, Epic's extremely low cut has a lot to do with passing the costs on to consumers.

Shogun

Oct 27, 2017
Am not fussed over all this. I download the Epic launcher and just now downloaded The Witness for free (I bought it on PS4 when it came out) and was happy enough with the layout etc. It's super early days and am the modding etc will come. Am happy not to use PayPal and am prepared to see what happens over time. Steam is great but at the end of the day it's a place to buy a game to play. Personality am not fussy as I don't get stressed over the extras

Which is all good and well but sometimes in life you have to have a bit of empathy for other people and realise not everything is about you. I don't get any extra fee on top of my purchases, I can freely use my payment method of choice and I can fully enjoy all the games locked to the Epic store but you know what? Other people aren't as fortunate and that fucking sucks. We've been told over and over again how great this new store is yet nobody can tell us why as consumers it's better for us. The reality is, it's actually worse - higher priced games, lower availability, less features and fewer ways to pay.

SFLUFAN

Oct 27, 2017
Alexandria, VA
From what I can tell, the only game that's passing along any savings to the end-consumer as a result of this better revenue split is Metro Exodus which is selling for $49.99

Every other "major" title -- The Division 2, Borderlands 3, Control, Darksiders III, The Sinking City, etc. -- is selling for the standard $59.99.

So exactly where the hell is the benefit to me as a consumer of this superior revenue spilt for the developer/publisher?

OP
OP
dex3108

dex3108

Oct 26, 2017

Not only eat the cost in other regions but offer developers free key generation that they can sell outside of steam while still providing customers same experience as they bought game on Steam Store.

Nov 1, 2017
So right now Steam eats the transaction fees and EGS solution is for the consumer to eat the transaction fee (which in time probably become devs eat the fee)?

Yup and sergey even said "Not sure why you'd want to sponsor payment methods that can take up to 25% of the transaction, though." Because EGS sure as shit won't.

Great thread showing details about this. So strange how EGS does "12%" and all of a sudden Valve is evil for doing the industry standard for over a decade.

Got Danny

Nov 8, 2017
Something i been thinking about.
If the developer is getting a much bigger cut, shouldn't their price reflect that?
Ppl are mad at epic, but its not like they're taking the money for themselves, those fees would probably wipe out their 12%

Arulan

Oct 25, 2017

There is a difference between being supportive to developers and praise corporations, fuck my interests. Despite how some here pretend, we're not shareholders, board members, or part of these companies, we're customers.

Deleted member 3208

Oct 25, 2017
From what I can tell, the only game that's passing along any savings to the end-consumer as a result of this better revenue split is Metro Exodus which is selling for $49.99

Every other "major" title -- The Division 2, Borderlands 3, Control, Darksiders III, The Sinking City, etc. -- is selling for the standard $59.99.

So exactly where the hell is the benefit to me as a consumer of this superior revenue spilt for the developer/publisher?
I honestly don't have the slightest idea how I, as a consumer, am benefited by this. Sweeney promised cheap games, but that hasn't happened. And I doubt that will happen.

eathdemon

Oct 27, 2017
prity much, meaning egs ends up being mostly western focused since a lot of places outside NA/EU use non standerd payment methods.

Kalamour

Oct 25, 2017
Let's be clear, Epic has done nothing to help "the industry" get to what it is today. Whatever people might think of them, Valve and Steam where pushing pc gaming while Epic was running after console money. Epic is not trying to support the pc industry, it is trying to take over a very lucrative market.

OP
OP
dex3108

dex3108

Oct 26, 2017
Something i been thinking about.
If the developer is getting a much bigger cut, shouldn't their price reflect that?
Ppl are mad at epic, but its not like they're taking the money for themselves, those fees would probably wipe out their 12%

Well remember how selling games in retail shops costed publishers more than 50% and when digital download came where publishers could get up to 100%? Nothing changed. Developers and publishers are in for the profit so they won't drop the price by themselves.

Nome

Designer / Self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
NYC
All of this is pretty easily resolvable by Epic if they implement a policy that allows devs to get up to 88%, and allow them to accept less in regions that require special payment processing fees. Generally those regions don't contribute that much to overall revenue anyway, so it's not a huge revenue loss.