• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

chrominance

Sky Van Gogh
Oct 25, 2017
I'm hella confused. Where are all these crazy discounts people keep mentioning? Satisfactory is $19.99, for example, and that's U.S. so in Canada that translates to $27 CAD because Epic somehow still doesn't have CAD support. I mean, I guess that's a deal compared to the current price, but it's not "wallet am cry" levels of amazing.

$10 USD off some pre-orders is pretty nice, though (though many of the games I'd consider don't have pre-orders yet, Outer Worlds and Rebel Galaxy Outlaw chief among them). Is that what people are losing their shit over?

Also, lol at Ubisoft conveniently being taken off EGS due to technical issues while the sale is on.

Nov 8, 2017
This is a better way to compete in the PC space imo. Cheap price for a barebones experience, or full price for a premium experience. Better than moneyhatting at least.

As I said earlier it's crazy to me that people have been arguing for months about how the exclusives were the only possible way they could compete. Imagine if they did this instead early on - no bad pr, just great deals.

Deleted member 3897

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Dude.. r/pcgaming is the epitome of idiocy. They constantly upvote outright false news and it's full of bigots and racists. If that's where you're getting your info from you mayyy want to look elsewhere.

r/games is pretty awful too, and YouTube comment sections are notoriously awful.

Haha, you really just handwaived everything because if your own opinions about those places.

Doesn't matter if you think those places are trash. You said noone outside this forum cares, but that's wrong, they do. Doesn't matter what you think about those places I mentioned.

Mórríoghain

Nov 2, 2017
What the fuck I love Epic now? Check out this fucking madness:

Control pre-order: 6.6$
Sinking City pre-order: 6.6$
Vampire: The Masquerade pre-order: 5.3$
Close to the Sun: 5$

Total: 16.9$

Nooblet

Oct 25, 2017
Satisfactory $8
Afterparty $8
Vampire 2 Blood Moon edition $18
WWZ $6
Phoenix Point $5
Sinking City Necronomicon edition (and by extension of pre order discount Sherlock Holmes Devil's Daughter) $19

$64 in total, it's from Indian EGS store. And to anyone who didn't read my previou spost and wants to ask question. No you cannot buy it by changing regions because your EGS store is locked to the region you make your first purchase (after which it can only be changed by asking support directly) from AND you need a local payment option that supports international payments (since price is in USD, unless your region has support for local currency)

Which region is this?
That's even cheaper than Indian store

Last edited:

Deleted member 1594

Account closed at user request
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I mean, if you don't like EGS, good for you. There are tons of people who like it.
There are DOZENS OF US!

Also, my reaction to this sale is....
Epic Store:
6NfmQ.jpg

Oct 25, 2017
Canada
To people outside this forum no really gives a shit dude.

How about you give a source saying they do care? Because last time i checked the Switch is selling like hotcakes and we see reports all the time X, Y or Z multiple platform game is doing better on it and it doesn't have most of those features.
The number of items on this list that the vast majority of users don't give a single fuck about is staggering.

If you actually think people don't give a shit about these features you are absolutely delusional. But I guess I shouldn't be surprised that people on ResetEra continue to be completely out of touch.

Deleted member 27751

User-requested account closure
Banned
Oct 30, 2017
In saying all my opinions on Epic the sale is good because it's a show of pro consumer and pro developer which no one can argue is bad. Yes features are sorely missing, the store is just bad without any need to extend on what I mean, Epic as a company are being very capitalist but this sale is good. It shows they react to pressure and that we can hopefully keep moving that good mojo through development channels to improve.

I personally won't buy from the Epic store because of the shitty conversion rates making games as much as $100 AUD but those doing it aren't the devll. I believe better can still come, and sitting on your laurels may be what Epic wants but we won't get decent improvements if we celebrate one sale.

Oct 26, 2017
Belarus
Can we talk about these discounts on preorders? I'm all in for good sales and better prices for consumers, but I just find it weird that Galyonkin claimed that indie games are too damn cheap, and then 2 years later started a sale on EGS with huge discounts on games that are not even released yet.
D6saSGrWwAELCC9.png

D6saV3QW4AARDPZ.png
D6saghjXYAAMj5T.png

You can read the whole thing here - https://galyonk.in/the-indie-games-are-too-damn-cheap-11b8652fad16 I also remember that Galyonkin claimed that huge sales are not as effective as some people think... So they are effective after all?

Tovarisc

Oct 25, 2017
FIN

At least this sale greatly benefits users from regions with perceived weak purchasing power.

I checked EGS pricing during this sale for Finland. Absolutely nothing exciting about game costing 50€ instead of 60€.

elcoldtown

Jan 7, 2019
Vilnius, Lithuania
User Banned (1 Day): Trolling
Excuse me, where can I read people whine about yet another launcher and how Epic is unfair in its competition? I'd like to have a link to read and laugh in the evening. Thanks.

Shakerovic

Apr 26, 2019
Regional prices + sale is insane price :D Metro Exodus is 5$ for me lol

i hope all publishers do the regional prices on Epic store

MillionIII

Banned
Sep 11, 2018
Really? Cause on every subreddit involving a game Epic has moneyhatted and on PC subreddits like r/pcgaming and even r/games, all hates the Epic Store.

Also all the people in YT comments sections.

Phoenix Point devs got so much shit for the Epic exclusivity moneyhatting video they had to turn off comments and dislike/like bar on their YT video.
/r/pcgaming is a great place! /s

DrDeckard

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
UK
Can we talk about these discounts on preorders? I'm all in for good sales and better prices for consumers, but I just find it weird that Galyonkin claimed that indie games are too damn cheap, and then 2 years later started a sale on EGS with huge discounts on games that are not even released yet.
D6saSGrWwAELCC9.png

D6saV3QW4AARDPZ.png
D6saghjXYAAMj5T.png

You can read the whole thing here - https://galyonk.in/the-indie-games-are-too-damn-cheap-11b8652fad16 I also remember that Galyonkin claimed that huge sales are not as effective as some people think... So they are effective after all?

They are obviously trying everything and this seems to be the thing that's working? lol so goes to show how wrong he was.

catswaller

Banned
Oct 27, 2017

two years is a long time for a person with a job, in a career, and epic is a big company. Repeatedly calling out this dudes opinions is silly.

More importantly -- epic is eating the cost here, not the dev. It might still risk devaluing the product if consumers see it as "game on sale" rather than "coupon from epic for game", but it's not the dev giving up massive amounts of $ from their own pocket.

Metroidvania

Oct 25, 2017
As I said earlier it's crazy to me that people have been arguing for months about how the exclusives were the only possible way they could compete. Imagine if they did this instead early on - no bad pr, just great deals.

the 'problem' with having exclusive discounts like this (at least, according to Sweeney/Galyonkin) is that people get 'accustomed' to waiting for these kinds of sales, at least to some degree.

As a one-off 'get people into the store' scenario, this makes (some) sense - even if the store itself is barebones as all get-out, the deals are right in front of your face.

But unless Epic was going to loss-lead even more than they already are for a couple years while they get the storefront up to snuff, I'm sure the probably crunched the numbers and decided the profit margins weren't worth it to run a consistent 'let's undercut Steam by 10 bucks' platform.

I'm hella confused. Where are all these crazy discounts people keep mentioning?

Deals are apparently much, MUCH better in non-US/EU regions.

Unkindled

Nov 27, 2018
They are not fucking around with those discount's that's for sure, some of the deal's are pretty good.
They got cash to buy exclusive's why not use it to offer insane discounts.

Mentalist

Mar 14, 2019
I'm hella confused. Where are all these crazy discounts people keep mentioning? Satisfactory is $19.99, for example, and that's U.S. so in Canada that translates to $27 CAD because Epic somehow still doesn't have CAD support. I mean, I guess that's a deal compared to the current price, but it's not "wallet am cry" levels of amazing.

$10 USD off some pre-orders is pretty nice, though (though many of the games I'd consider don't have pre-orders yet, Outer Worlds and Rebel Galaxy Outlaw chief among them). Is that what people are losing their shit over?

Also, lol at Ubisoft conveniently being taken off EGS due to technical issues while the sale is on.
Asia, Middle East, Eastern Europe and Latin America (I think?) all have lower base price in a USD, so the 10 USD discount makes their prices super-cheap.

But for Western countries, we're just seeing standard pre-order level discounts. And in USD to boot, so we'd get extra hit with currency conversion, so nothing to get excited over.

Oct 26, 2017
UK
At least this sale greatly benefits users from regions with perceived weak purchasing power.

I checked EGS pricing during this sale for Finland. Absolutely nothing exciting about game costing 50€ instead of 60€.

Yeah, in the UK there's a few great deals on indie titles but it's great to see the offers other regions that usually suffer from absurd costs in gaming are getting.

Mórríoghain

Nov 2, 2017
Satisfactory $8
Afterparty $8
Vampire 2 Blood Moon edition $18
WWZ $6
Phoenix Point $5
Sinking City Necronomicon edition (and by extension of pre order discount Sherlock Holmes Devil's Daughter) $19

$64 in total, it's from Indian EGS store. And to anyone who didn't read my previou spost and wants to ask question. No you cannot buy it by changing regions because your EGS store is locked to the region you make your first purchase (after which it can only be changed by asking support directly) from AND you need a local payment option that supports international payments (since price is in USD, unless your region has support for local currency)

Which region is this?
That's even cheaper than Indian store

It's the Turkish store.

Detail

Dec 30, 2018
They soon changed their stance on sales huh?

Don't get me wrong, I am happy that consumers are saving money but these would be the sort of prices you would expect on third party key sites anyway, you know, if EGS supported that...

As a matter of fact, some games that are on legitimate key sites are already cheaper than on this EGS sale, Vampyr for example £34.99 on EGS sale, £18.99 cdkeys.

Just sounds like another way for Epic to try and lure people in and hope they forget about all the other stuff they have pulled over the last few months which is already well documented.

Not to mention their glaring security flaws (which would be a huge factor in me personally not purchasing from them even with the best sale ever as things currently stand.)

This all seems a bit desperate from Epic at this point, you have to question if they are struggling to move units considering their stance on sales before was that they don't like sales.

Oh well, at least this is a more pro-consumer way of doing things, sales are sales at the end of the day, if they benefit the consumer then that's a step in the right direction and much better than moneyhatting exclusives, however huge work still needs to be done with EGS, especially with this buying exclusives nonsense, before the majority of PC gamers will accept it as an alternative to stores like GOG and Steam imo.

Majukun

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
so,wait, apparently depending on the region you get a way worse or way better deal?

european region's discounts don't seem that good

Nooblet

Oct 25, 2017
D6saSGrWwAELCC9.png

D6saV3QW4AARDPZ.png
D6saghjXYAAMj5T.png

There's nothing to look here because the vast majority of the discount is coming off Epic's pocket. The devs are getting paid the same as they did pre discount unless there's an additional minor discount on top of the $10 discount that Epic is bearing.

SteveWinwood

Oct 25, 2017
USA USA USA
Yeah they should have just done this. It's the first thing that actually benefits the consumer in some way.

I mean it's still anti competitive, and a bare bones launcher, but if they stopped the game exclusivity I wouldn't really have a problem with any of this at the end of the day.

I've been arguing with those "it's the only way" people for months saying a good sale or money back program could make them competitive easily.