• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Splader

Feb 12, 2018
Epic PR person 1: "pc gamers are pissed at us for bribing developers"
Epic PR person 2: "let's bribe pc gamers as well"

Well done Epic. Here's my response:

lg9EN9Y.png

How have you not already deleted your account?

Spying on the enemy from the inside maybe?

Viken

Teyvat Traveler
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Hmm, yeah, Sinking City and Control are both at 50 USD, and that's 67CAD (probably more, depending how PayPal's gonna do the exchange rate-and there's no effing way I'm giving EGS my credit card info)

It's a sweet deal for a lot of regions, and it'll play well into Epic's narrative of "we're listening to people's concerns (re: regional pricing), but I still feel shafted, :(

Ah well, there's always other games to play.
Yeah, it's generally not worth it yet as a Canadian to buy from here for certain games due to regional pricing. I would love for them to fix that as it is one of the major gripes I have with their store.

Evildeadhead

Oct 26, 2017
Just had a look and from the U.K. pricing it doesn't seem to be anything mind blowing. I would've bought Hades but considering it's double the US price I don't think I'll bother.

Metroidvania

Oct 25, 2017
How complete is Subnautica below zero? I really liked the first one, but I dont want to play the expansion until is mostly done.

When I last looked (which was admittedly fairly close to 'Early access launch' of Below Zero), it was pretty rough around the edges - but you can probably check the steam site's discussion forum/store page to see what they've thrown in since then.

Last I heard, it was 'just the basics' of the game put in, which was basically a repeat of what you were doing in the original game.

Linus815

Oct 29, 2017
So are you saying other that P2 Steam has never offered any pre-order bonuses. Not trying to catch you out just curious.

I never made such a claim, I wasn't the guy that broguht it up in the first place, I merely pointed out that Steam putting their own game on a preorder sale is not the same as EGS putting basically their entire catalogue on sale, preorder included.

Preorder incentives are quite common, with lowered prices up until release, but I can't recall a single time steam actually included a bunch of unreleased games in their event sales. That would indicate that the store owner is eating the costs themselves, rather than the publisher giving an incentive to preorder.

Stone Ocean

Oct 25, 2017
These sales wouldn't be happening without the people complaining and voting with their wallet. To the disdain of the people and game press that just wanted people to just accept it.

This is positive for consumers. And could also drive the potential of actual competition ( if they stop their exclusive stuff)
Yep. So much for Epic being inevitable and detractors being a minority.

People will follow the games 4Head

Oct 27, 2017
Game sales tend to be fairly front loaded. There is a massive difference between games that Epic have paid for exclusivity on being discounted by Epic subsidies to the tune of 70% off for preorders, and a developer/publisher deciding to discount a game to extend the long tail after launch window sales have petered out.

Wait, are Epic paying for the entire 70% discount with those pre-orders? (Although in the UK store, there's not actually any additional discount on pre-orders, just the £10)

OnionPowder

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Orlando, FL
Epic Store is good now?

I mean, it's barebones and shit, but it works? Better than some launchers i've used in the past. If you want features then buy shit on Steam probably, but for a cheap price where you just want the game to run then it's perfectly fine. At the same price, for the consumer side, there's no reason to not buy on Steam vs Epic atm.

It's definitely not the anti-christ like some think though.

Lant_War

Classic Anus Game
The Fallen
Jul 14, 2018
BL3 is $30 in my country, Jesus. Wish I had a PC powerful enough to run it.

Jaoox

Oct 27, 2017
The huge differences in prices from region to region is quite disappointing...

Control is still 50€, Darksiders 3 as well.Metro Exodus close to 40
Almost no discount on Hades
Afterparty for 5.99€ is cool though

Rickenslacker

Oct 25, 2017
i like this idea some people have that being whiners actually brought on sales and that it's not just a thing that stores do, heh

Aztechnology

Community Resettler
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Yeah, ended up going with Google just because it seems really clean in its design.
I stopped using Google auths when I can and do email or phone instead. Authy is great because it has recovery and redundancies. Every time I switch to a new phone I inevitably lose access to some of my 2FA.

Mentalist

Mar 14, 2019
Yeah, it's generally not worth it yet as a Canadian to buy from here for certain games due to regional pricing. I would love for them to fix that as it is one of the major gripes I have with their store.
These prices make it super-easy to just stick to GOG for all those non-exclusive games.

ThankDougie

Banned
Nov 12, 2017
Buffalo
Game sales tend to be fairly front loaded. There is a massive difference between games that Epic have paid for exclusivity on being discounted by Epic subsidies to the tune of 70% off for preorders, and a developer/publisher deciding to discount a game to extend the long tail after launch window sales have petered out.

Right, but my question is: has Steam ever choked on a few bucks to make those discounts even bigger? When games end up at 60-80% off, is the dev always the one swallowing the difference? Or did Steam motivate developers to participate in those flash sales and annual mega-price-drops?

Pillock

User Requested Ban
Banned
Dec 29, 2017
I never made such a claim, I wasn't the guy that broguht it up in the first place, I merely pointed out that Steam putting their own game on a preorder sale is not the same as EGS putting basically their entire catalogue on sale, preorder included.

Preorder incentives are quite common, with lowered prices up until release, but I can't recall a single time steam actually included a bunch of unreleased games in their event sales. That would indicate that the store owner is eating the costs themselves, rather than the publisher giving an incentive to preorder.

How is that a bad thing from a consumer point of view though?

JediEagle

Oct 17, 2018
Slovenia
Nah, nothing of interest for me. I am already immune to these sales, since my back log is way too big. I might have a problem anyway, so I am not adding to it :D

Deleted member 49438

User requested account closure
Banned
Nov 7, 2018
Guess the deals are pretty good for the cheap games. The Pre-order for $10 off isn't bad, but I've done better just buying via steamkeys normally (RE2 remake for $46 on GMG pre-order was my last one as I recall). Not really impressed by the offering of games or discounts, but still cool that they're doing it I guess.

daybreak

Feb 28, 2018
Right, but my question is: has Steam ever choked on a few bucks to make those discounts even bigger? When games end up at 60-80% off, is the dev always the one swallowing the difference? Or did Steam motivate developers to participate in those flash sales and annual mega-price-drops?

Literally only once that I can think of, during the very recent Lunar New Year sale you could get an extra $5 off.

How is that a bad thing from a consumer point of view though?

It's not.

Aztechnology

Community Resettler
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Hope you guys are ready for all us U.S folks starting to get on and be like "Oh it's nothing" lol. No the indie title sales are quite good. AAA are hardly worth noting.

BasilZero

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Omni
Not sure if I should buy TWD Final season now or wait till later to buy it

Only played the first season and still need to play the rest before I play this one (I have all the other ones on Steam)

Hmm

Oct 30, 2017
Fucking crazy that they just said "let's substract "10" when "over 15", regardless of currency".

That makes it a 16.67% discount in the EU/US on a new game but somewhere like mexico it's 20 instead of 30, making it 33% off.

scitek

Oct 27, 2017
So do people who pre-ordered Borderlands 3 at $60 get their $10 back if they request it? Cuz it's kinda BS if they don't.

Xiofire

Prophet of Regret
Oct 27, 2017
Can y'all list your regions that you're getting these crazy discounts in? Like damn.

Wrellie

Oct 29, 2017
I did two things I haven't done in years. 1: Pre-ordered a game (John Wick Hex). 2: Got a Telltale game not in a bundle.

LewieP

Oct 26, 2017
Wait, are Epic paying for the entire 70% discount with those pre-orders? (Although in the UK store, there's not actually any additional discount on pre-orders, just the £10)
In the case of John Wick Hex, the list price in the UK is £15.99. The discounted price is £4.39. Total discount is £11.60, or 72.5%. £10 of that discount is subsidised by Epic, which is 62.5% (with the other 10% presumably coming out of the publisher/developer cut).

I've never seen anything like that on a healthy/successful platform.

Jun 26, 2018
Color me surprised (not) if this turns out to be mostly great sales for America and fuck all for the rest... just like the rest of Epic's mindset.

Metroidvania

Oct 25, 2017
So do people who pre-ordered Borderlands 3 at $60 get their $10 back if they request it? Cuz it's kinda BS if they don't.

If they ordered in the past two weeks, that is reportedly true.

not sure of the people who did before then (I don't specifically know when it popped up on Epic's store)

edit:

Color me surprised if this turns out to be mostly great sales for America and fuck all for the rest... just like the rest of Epic's mindset.

LMAO.

Almost every non-US region is getting a bigger discount than US/EU.

ThankDougie

Banned
Nov 12, 2017
Buffalo
Literally only once that I can think of, during the very recent Lunar New Year sale you could get an extra $5 off.

Got it. So in that case, major drops eaten by devs haven't been all bad on the Steam platform. Why would major drops eaten entirely by Epic be bad? If it draws a crowd in the long run, it's good for me, it's good for you, and it's good for the people making the games.

I guess I would just need more analysis to understand why price drops of a substantial size, for pre-order or already available games, would be bad in the long run for devs. Gamers that are going to wait for sales will wait for sales, and those who want to play when they find out something is good are more likely to pay full or near-full price anyway, right?

SteveWinwood

Oct 25, 2017
USA USA USA
User Warned: Trolling
Imagine if they had just used their money to do this in the first place instead of buying exclusives. Then it would just be a barebones launcher with some decent prices at the very least.

I'm still never making an account or giving them money though 🤷‍♂️

Madjoki

Oct 25, 2017
That's some good deals. At least for some regions not fucked over by Epic.

FwEovlJ.png

Seems like we got screwed out of the Hades discount

Seems like good choice to prevent Epic from devaluing game tbh.

Just the £10 or regional equivalent everything else is from devs pocket.

Steam just had discount similar to this last sale. (not as crazy though)

But generally yes, every discount on Steam is done by devs.

And normally you only discount when game is not selling anymore at higher price, that's the motivation.