• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Fezan

Oct 26, 2017
Gonna be my new dunk whenever someone says something I disagree with. "Do you even work, bro?"

No it's not a dunk I just think people here get emotional here when it comes to having and ignore that most of these policies are standard practice.
What do unemployed people have to do with this and why are you insulting them?

Not insulting anyone here. Just pointing out that people are getting emotional because of some policies when both parties are agreeing to it

This ain't it chief.
Please explain to me then

9512.jpg

What has my avatar to do with anything here

You seem to be forgetting that Sony don't own the games industry. As far as we know the other two platform holders aren't mandating to third party developers about owing them money if their portion of the revenue stream isn't beyond an arbitrary high percentage value.

It only enourages developers to favour and push Playstation versions in a supposedly 'open' market. It's entirely scummy, anti trust and bad for gamers.

PlayStation doesn't own market but up until now PlayStation were offering free multiplayer for f2p games. So they are just covering their revenue stream. People often seem to forget that be it Sony Nintendo or Microsoft their primary goal is to make money.

It's not even something out of extraordinary. PS is giving it's player base to other party and in return it's ensuring that if revenue falls below .85 per user then other party posts some royalty. I am sure most people but items on platforms they are causing to play

I haven't seen it manfiset in any developers forcing and promoting ps versions besides marketing deals.

gothi

Prophet of Truth
Jun 23, 2020
That's not what is described in the slide.

PSN revenue share: 5% of total revenue
PS4 gameplay share: 10% of total gameplay
Penalty ratio: 0.05 / 0.10 = 50%

50% < 85% == True

Therefore, the publisher must pay the penalty.
That's how I understood it too, I'm struggling to find words to highlight just how egregious this is. It doesn't just protect Sony from 'lost revenue' if they are the leading platform it also ensures they earn more money if a game is more successful on another platform.
This benefits no-one but Sony and would absolutely dissuade me from implementing cross-play/progression if I was a small/medium sized publisher/developer as those penalty payments will come out after the other platform has taken their 30%.

Zyae

Prophet of Truth
Banned
Mar 17, 2020
Dude this is freaking day one of the case. There will be more documents lmao. no company does their stuff for free you can warrior all you want on this but the fact is no company does anything for free, they protect their interests first and foremost. You can ask for proof all you want, but this is exactly in the same vein of stuff like the capcom leak and MS had similar agreements in place when it came to marketing. Its no different. Every single move is a calculated thing that allows for them to either increase revenue or protect revenue losses, you are only exposed to a sliver of the stuff that goes on in these contracts.

Epic just said Nintendo and Microsoft do not do this with them.

nonoriri

Apr 30, 2020
Of course it's speculative, but there are so many games that have been 'working' on crossplay that it seems obvious regarding. For example, Destiny 2. They probably skirt this by not actually offering cross-play. As mentioned previously, you get a 10% discount with game pass on silver in D2. Players would potentially 'play' on a playstation and buy the currency on an xbox. The entire convoluted character system would be so much simpler with cross play but it still doesn't have it.

Genshin is the opposite - you can crossplay, but your PS account is locked away from any other method of play, crippling it for players.

Obviously we don't KNOW that this is what happened and we're not going to, but it seems pretty reasonable to assume at the moment.

If anything, the fact that Epic - the company with the MOST leverage in the world for this discussion, is getting this deal, it's probably BETTER than what everyone else gets.
Or they get the harshest because they have the biggest money making potential and Sony wants that. We really just don't know. We know that Genshin has cross play without cross saved when Epic wasn't allowed either initially. So we can't say for sure.
Well yes, of course they have the data. My point is that it's not great that a dev could be punished because their Switch customers decided they wanted to spend some money that month more than PlayStation customers did. How is a dev supposed to not get penalized here?
They only enter the deal if they know they can make those numbers and the additional revenue is significant. Devs are businesses too and will protect themselves and will (likely) not enter into bad deals just because Sony wants them too.

EvilBoris

Prophet of Truth - HDTVtest
Verified
Oct 29, 2017
As much as I despise EPIC for their shit they pulled with all of this I'm more than happy that this trial already spilled some beans and it just started.
This industry should be more transparent and we should more of this disgusting shit that companies are pulling.
It's totally deliberate, this is a way to release documents that are confidential to the public and put pressure on Sony.

Splader

Feb 12, 2018
Dude this is freaking day one of the case. There will be more documents lmao. no company does their stuff for free you can warrior all you want on this but the fact is no company does anything for free, they protect their interests first and foremost. You can ask for proof all you want, but this is exactly in the same vein of stuff like the capcom leak and MS had similar agreements in place when it came to marketing. Its no different. Every single move is a calculated thing that allows for them to either increase revenue or protect revenue losses, you are only exposed to a sliver of the stuff that goes on in these contracts.
I'm condemning Sony for this practice because we know they did so. If documents come out that show Nintendo and MS had similar practices, then I'll speak out against them for it as well.

There's nothing "warrior" happening here, at least other then a very surprising amount of "It's just good business!" posts you see thrown around.

platocplx

2020 Member Elect
Oct 30, 2017
User banned (5 days): Antagonizing fellow member, platform warring, history of similar behavior
I'm condemning Sony for this practice because we know they did so. If documents come out that show Nintendo and MS had similar practices, then I'll speak out against them for it as well.

There's nothing "warrior" happening here, at least other then a very surprising amount of "It's just good business!" posts you see thrown around.
Okay master chief.

TorianElecdra

Feb 25, 2020
I have attorney's eyes now!

This is from Apple's lawsuit right? I wonder how Sony and Epic's relationship is currently.

Last edited:

Cronogear

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 27, 2017
Well I guess that explains why I can't use my existing Genshin account on Playstation.

Niklel

Prophet of Regret
Aug 10, 2020
Why are people mad at Sony? It seems pretty reasonable from business side of things. You want to protect yourself from situations where people pay for MTX on other platforms and use them on yours.
Besides, I might be misremembering, but didn't we also learn that PlayStation bring the biggest revenue share for Epic. So I am assuming Epic didn't actually even have to pay those compensations.

Oct 25, 2017
UK NW

Tim sweeney the ceo of Epic literally just testified explaining how Sony is the only one doing it.
Take your goggles off for a second and realise that no secret document is coming to out others.
Unless you think Tim Sweeney is lying.

Yerffej

Prophet of Regret
Oct 25, 2017
I honestly expected to hear MS doing the exact same thing here. Kinda surprised it's just Sony.

platocplx

2020 Member Elect
Oct 30, 2017
Why are people mad at Sony? It seems pretty reasonable from business side of things. You want to protect yourself from situations where people pay for MTX on other platforms and use them on yours.
Besides, I might be misremembering, but didn't we also learn that PlayStation bring the biggest revenue share for Epic. So I am assuming Epic didn't actually even have to pay those compensations.
They definitely dont, and the evidence is more than likely to show that apple could give them a similar deal.
Tim sweeney the ceo of Epic literally just testified explaining how Sony is the only one doing it.
Take your goggles off for a second and realise that no secret document is coming to out others.
Unless you think Tim Sweeney is lying.
I'm not commenting on JUST this practice, but these practices in general.
its no different to epic dropping their store fees lower than Steam for example, there is other pieces that make it beneficial for them to do so.

NotLiquid

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017

Figured as much once the specifics started becoming a bit more clear. This is the kind of move only a company with comfortably and dominantly self-sustaining console sales + digital ecosystem would pull, and Xbox console sales aren't at Sony level yet, nor is Nintendo's digital engagement as strong as Sony's.

Splader

Feb 12, 2018
again, this person been hemming and hawing about evidence and its literally the first day of this. I'm not warrioring this demanding x y z. I said more than likely more practices will come out and its not limited to this.

This is your initial post in this thread.
I'm sure they aren't the only one doing it.

I've quoted that asking why you assume the others are doing it as well, and wondering if maybe you had more information than us as you seemed pretty adamant about it.

We now know that in terms of this agreement, it's only Sony. It was always about this one practice, so please don't say something like "yeah but other companies do other shady practices!".

I apologize if I offended you here, but going after my avatar is not the right strategy.

platocplx

2020 Member Elect
Oct 30, 2017
This is your initial post in this thread.

I've quoted that asking why you assume the others are doing it as well, and wondering if maybe you had more information than us as you seemed pretty adamant about it.

We now know that in terms of this agreement, it's only Sony. It was always about this one practice, so please don't say something like "yeah but other companies do other shady practices!".

I apologize if I offended you here, but going after my avatar is not the right strategy.
Dude. have fun.

Dr. Mario

Oct 27, 2017
Netherlands
Shit move by Sony. Maybe the other platforms have similar stipulations, but we've seen cross play been implemented in games among all other platforms but Sony, so my guess is not.

(Edit and just then confirmed they don't)

I've read the first twelve pages and then browsed through some of the remaining ones. Remarkable that nobody at least in those pages seem to have brought it up. But the thinking that Sony is 'right' to do this because the other platforms leech of their player base is faulty. Multiple shoestores in a shopping street do not leech customers off each other, they're creating a situation where people all over the region flock to their street. Rising tides lift all boats. Crossplay creates more popularity and a larger casual base that wants to buy the game and the microtransaction. But apparently Sony is not just happy with more revenue, they also want to squeeze additional revenue out of the publisher if they can't have the most. All around scummy and borderline monopolistic.

BMO=GOAT

Oct 26, 2017
The funny part of all this is, we don't or won't know if others are doing it because the only reason this is coming to light is due to a legal case 🤣

Gashprex

Oct 25, 2017

Just so we are clear - whatever is in Sony's best interest is good then? They can leverage whatever they want so long as its good for Sony's business?

.exe

Oct 25, 2017
Sony execs: *internal screaming*

It's a weird clause. Sometimes it's not just about the money. Goodwill goes a long way.