• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

DongBeetle

Oct 25, 2017
Could someone tell me why a multibillion dollar corporations financials should be relevant to me when forming an opinion on shit like this? Lmfao. Anyways, the having to share information about ALL your revenue with Sony really sucks ass and I'd bet that it's responsible for some missed cross play opportunities. Fight it all they want, crossplay is where everyone will end up in the end

catswaller

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Literally 90% of the posts for the first four pages literally misunderstood the situation.
They didn't, just lots of bleeding hearts for sonys decidedd they must not really understand if they find this fee objectionable.
As if it's ok to pin a variable extra fee on devs for crossplay as long as its variable.

catswaller

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
User banned (1 week): Mod-whining and derailing a thread over multiple posts
Oh neat, mods coming to the defense of a multi-billion dollar company when nobody really misunderstood what was going on. Thanks for the hard work.
This is very common for two multi billion dollar companies in particular.

Chippewa Barr

Aug 8, 2020
This Corsi guy is an absolute piece of shit who clearly knows nothing about gaming, let alone enough to be the Director of Developer Relations. This is not the Sony from the late-PS3/early-PS4 days, this is ultra arrogant Sony at its absolute worst. Sorry but get the fuck out of here with that shit, Sony. I am fuming 😤
I mean I don't agree with his take on crossplay either but...
blinking-guy-meme-gif-4.gif

...not to mention, he left like 2 years ago lol

Oh neat, mods coming to the defense of a multi-billion dollar company when nobody really misunderstood what was going on. Thanks for the hard work.
What is even happening in this thread?! Accusations and molten-core-of-the-Earth hot takes in here lol...place has gone bananas lately!

nonoriri

Apr 30, 2020
This is kinda making me go crazy, how is that related to Cross-Play exactly ?, are we talking here about Cross Play as in PS4 players playing with\against Xbox\PC players ?, or is Sony talking about Cross Play in terms of shared play where one can have access to his exact character\items\weapons across different platforms ?, I am a bit confused.

In the case of Fortnite, it was both (play with people on other platforms + access your same character) and it's the assumption that the shared account (cross-save) was the big sticking point. That's why with games like Genshin Impact, you can freely play with anyone on any platform but you can't take your progress from PS4 to PC. If you want to have cross-platform access to your account, Sony wants you to pay up.

Patapuf

Oct 26, 2017
These are the worst types of "business is going business" situations.

Few devs, especially smaller devs, are going to risk to have to share MTX revenue with sony if their game unexpetedly take of on a non-Sony platform.

And thus, many games that could benefit from a unified community, just won't have them.

Antrax

Oct 25, 2017
The percentage of PSN revenue should be at least 85% of PSN gameplay share.

This is a correct way to phrase that ratio of ratios.

What's especially irritating about this is that the devs have limited control over this ratio. Maybe Nintendo or Xbox or iOS has done something in their ecosystems that is incentivizing additional spend in their consumers (we've had MS speak to this with Game Pass; GP subscribers spend more money on average than regular Xbox owners). So now you have to eat a penalty because they're dropping more cash on your title than PlayStation owners are, again, through no fault of your own

catswaller

Banned
Oct 27, 2017

elyetis

Oct 26, 2017
In the case of Fortnite, it was both (play with people on other platforms + access your same character) and it's the assumption that the shared account (cross-save) was the big sticking point. That's why with games like Genshin Impact, you can freely play with anyone on any platform but you can't take your progress from PS4 to PC. If you want to have cross-platform access to your account, Sony wants you to pay up.
Yeah this definitely seems to explain why Genshin impact has such limitation only on sony's platform.

Cels

Oct 26, 2017
if some form of this cross-platform revenue share slide is still in effect today, that would explain some games' reluctance to allow cross progression, because if a player buys MTX on a non-sony platform, yet is allowed to bring that MTX over to PSN without any money going in Sony's pocket, that's going to increase the likelihood of the partner having to pay a royalty to Sony.

A couple examples include Apex Legends (which has crossplay but not cross progression) and Overwatch (has neither crossplay nor cross progression)

EntelechyFuff

Saw the truth behind the copied door
Nov 19, 2019
Well this document has definitely existed since I believe 2019.....why has it never been mentioned before?
My observation isn't about the fact that NDAs exist and restrict what people can say. Both things are true.

Rather it's more about specific consequences being described, such as indies going out of business or opting out of cross play due to this contract language.

"NDAs exist" is doing a lot of lifting here. I could say this contract is why Final Fantasy 14 is still a PS exclusive, and who could prove me wrong? It's not a useful conversation or based on anything but my own idle thoughts. But it pollutes the quality of the conversation and can take on a life of its own when repeated enough.

EvilBoris

Prophet of Truth - HDTVtest
Verified
Oct 29, 2017
Plus games that already have huge playerbases elsewhere face a definite constant fee for supporting crossplay on ps4.

Yeah, and this is huuuuuge market intelligence.
Indeed. There may even be standard contracts on place with Nintendo or Microsoft that prevent that data from being shared too. Which again is a neat way to stop this from happening. Create a set of criteria that is mostly implausible and unachievable because you don't really want to do it .

Sapo84

Oct 31, 2017
Plus games that already have huge playerbases elsewhere face a definite constant fee for supporting crossplay on ps4.
Did you read the linked article? If there is a huge playerbase elsewhere most of the playing time will be elsewhere, there would be no reason for the ratio to differ from 1.0
The clause is done in this way to prevent another platform from offering cheaper MTX and thus generating more revenue there, it's not about big vs small playerbase.

Jun 20, 2019
The math works out such that the opportunity to trip this provision increases as a game performance on PSN falls. For example, if a game's PS4 player share is 95% while the PSN revenue share is 90% the publisher doesn't have to pay. If a game's PS4 share is 10% while the PSN revenue share is 5% then the publisher will have to pay the fee. Note that the game's total revenue may be exactly the same in each case and the real difference in players-to-dollars may be exactly the same, but the game that can't find an audience on PS4 has to pay the penalty.

Patapuf

Oct 26, 2017
Did you read the linked article? If there is a huge playerbase elsewhere most of the playing time will be elsewhere, there would be no reason for the ratio to differ from 1.0
The clause is done in this way to prevent another platform from offering cheaper MTX and thus generating more revenue there, it's not about big vs small playerbase.

Imagine you do a late port of a service game. Chances are new players might spend a bit more on dlc/mtx because there's more of them to buy --> dev can't implement cross progression with Playstation because it'll cost him a lot of money.

the-pi-guy

Oct 29, 2017
Few devs, especially smaller devs, are going to risk to have to share MTX revenue with sony if their game unexpetedly take of on a non-Sony platform.

And thus, many games that could benefit from a unified community, just won't have them.
I don't think that's really relevant?

If the game takes off on another platform, they aren't going to pay more royalties.
The royalties only happen if gamers on other platforms are spending substantially more.

Podge293

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
My observation isn't about the fact that NDAs exist and restrict what people can say. Both things are true.

Rather it's more about specific consequences being described, such as indies going out of business or opting out of cross play due to this contract language.

"NDAs exist" is doing a lot of lifting here. I could say this contract is why Final Fantasy 14 is still a PS exclusive, and who could prove me wrong? It's not a useful conversation or based on anything but my own idle thoughts. But it pollutes the quality of the conversation and can take on a life of its own when repeated enough.

And so can "someone would have said something by now "

But right here in this thread based on that slide we've conclusive proof that NDAs do exist and keep people silent.

Deleted member 18400

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017

Just out of curiosity are there are lot of multiplayer games with MTX that are made by small indie studios? I cannot think of any off the top of my head outside of maybe Rocket League? Just seems like a strange statement.

At the end of the day if the developers don't want to pay Sony they will have to take a stand and refuse to publish on Playstation, or at the very least not offer cross save.
Players and companies will have to speak with their wallets.

Sapo84

Oct 31, 2017
Imagine you do a late port of a service game. Chances are new players might spend a bit more on dlc/mtx because there's more of them to buy --> dev can't implement cross progression with Playstation because it'll cost him a lot of money.
That's why 0.85 ratio doesn't trigger the share.
Even in those extreme situations the revenue share will probably either don't kick in or be a minimal fee.
We would need concrete data on revenue by platform to really be sure if it's something that can likely happen.

Klotera

Oct 27, 2017
Really, line-item fees based on certain parameters are pretty common in B2B contracts across lots of industries, as are clauses to allow auditing to make sure they are complying. This only seems like a huge deal because we don't often see behind the curtain as consumers.

Honestly, this clause is nothing crazy. I'd be curious if this even ever gets triggered, given that there's 15% of leeway in the ratio of platform playtime to revenue generated. Seems you'd have to have one platform way, way out of proportion to have this be a real problem.

TheJackdog

Oct 27, 2017
User banned (1 week): mod whining, hostility

Yeah this is pretty gross. Expected at this point.

Can't this place be safe from that? Cmon mods

nonoriri

Apr 30, 2020
This is a correct way to phrase that ratio of ratios.

What's especially irritating about this is that the devs have limited control over this ratio. Maybe Nintendo or Xbox or iOS has done something in their ecosystems that is incentivizing additional spend in their consumers (we've had MS speak to this with Game Pass; GP subscribers spend more money on average than regular Xbox owners). So now you have to eat a penalty because they're dropping more cash on your title than PlayStation owners are, again, through no fault of your own
They have limited control but Epic certainly had the data about how transactions were occurring on their platforms. Epic wouldn't have agreed to this if there wasn't a benefit for them. They could have been cool with Sony not doing cross-system saves or even play and still made cash but the risk was worth the reward. On the opposite end, Genshin pretty strongly indicates that Miyoho has decided to NOT to agree to this.

Yeah this definitely seems to explain why Genshin impact has such limitation only on sony's platform.

And in the case of Genshin, there's no real benefit to Miyoho paying since it's not like you can buy specific skins or weapons which would tempt friends do to the same nor is the MP a big focus. Sucks for me but I get why they said no. They wouldn't see the level of benefit Epic does.

hechicero

Banned
Dec 21, 2017
TEXAS
its always non playststion gamers furrowing their brows being overly outraged at sony.

playststion gamers are mad at sony cause now we have to play against pc players.

Mr_F_Snowman

Oct 27, 2017
Embarassing post. What makes you think others don't have contracts in place?

Another embarassing post.

Why is it embarrassing exactly? Its a blatant move from a company exploiting its position in the market acting like a monopoly to disincentive competitive pricing across markets. Its embarrassing you'd even think to defend it.

Whether MS / Nintendo / Steam have similar policies doesn't alter the fact its bullshit.

It is 100% a disincentive to have a competitive market and I wouldn't be at all surprised to see the EU investigate it seeing as it very likely to contravene Eu competition law

MatrixMan.exe

Oct 25, 2017
You know the thread has jumped the shark when people are coming in here to now accuse mods of corporate apologism for simply changing the thread title to something that's far more accurate, factual and less incendiary as the original title. I feel a bunch of you just say this stuff because you can, with zero conviction, not because you actually mean it.

Mr_F_Snowman

Oct 27, 2017
Eh.. the consumer isn't responsible for compensating the store though. It's the developer in this case. And if the developer does not find the terms reasonable, they're under no obligation to agree to them.

It's to disincentivize a developer from saying from within the game on PS4 "hey, don't buy the content through PSN, instead, log into your PC where we get a higher cut, then log back into PS4 to access the content."

It's not amazing, but I've seen worse.

I never said it would be the consumer owing the compensation in those examples

Minarik

Nov 9, 2017
We really gonna pretend this site doesn't doesn't lean towards one gaming company in particular?

People aren't misunderstanding the issue. In it's simplest terms, it's a cross-progression tax. Why the fuck should Sony get a cut of anything done on someone else's platform?

Oct 28, 2017
Is there a sequence of chronological events, after Apple and Epic court battles begun?
Documents revealed from this company and that, etc, etc

Kinthey

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
That's why 0.85 ratio doesn't trigger the share.
Even in those extreme situations the revenue share will probably either don't kick in or be a minimal fee.
We would need concrete data on revenue by platform to really be sure if it's something that can likely happen.
This ratio doesn't seem impossible to trigger for me when people have stopped spending much as much PSN while it's still fresh on the other platform. That it's something the developer has to worry about at all is not good

kubev

Oct 25, 2017
California
I wonder if this has anything to do with why so many games get released on PlayStation and Switch while skipping an Xbox release. For the longest time, I would've assumed it was the differences in audiences, but we do tend to miss out on a lot of free-to-play games on Xbox to the point that I'm now questioning this. I'd be curious to know how successful games with a lot of microtransactions are on Switch.

SDR-UK

Oct 27, 2017
I wonder if this has anything to do with why so many games get released on PlayStation and Switch while skipping an Xbox release. For the longest time, I would've assumed it was the differences in audiences, but we do tend to miss out on a lot of free-to-play games on Xbox to the point that I'm now questioning this. I'd be curious to know how successful games with a lot of microtransactions are on Switch.

Don't forget that MS were a barrier in terms of actual free to play. I'd wager that played a bigger part in F2P games skipping Xbox.

Absolute

Banned
Nov 6, 2017
We really gonna pretend this site doesn't doesn't lean towards one gaming company in particular?

People aren't misunderstanding the issue. In it's simplest terms, it's a cross-progression tax. Why the fuck should Sony get a cut of anything done on someone else's platform?

it's the most popular console and that's reflected in the users on this site. Saying the mods have a bias is completely unfounded and dumb.

aronmayo

Jul 29, 2020
😬 Lots of people loved this guy for his build the list stuff 🤷🏻‍♂️. This seems to be an extreme reaction.
I want to play games with my friends and this guy says "no, because I want money please". I'm pointing out that this is a shitty move and not consumer or developer friendly. It's predatory, monopolistic behaviour and shouldn't be tolerated by consumers. Why is it unreasonable to criticise this person strongly?

I really don't think people should be defending this guys wrongdoings by saying "yeah but he did this other good thing once" when this is clearly a bad move designed to punish the developers and consumers for the sake of earning money.