• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Shoreu

Oct 25, 2017
What I'm confused on is how Sony would know the total revenue for a game with cross play? Do they get the full data from, say, Epic for Fortnite on how much Xbox revenue is and whatnot and run the numbers on their share?
I believe they require a report. Based on that document

nonoriri

Apr 30, 2020
This doesn't seem like a fair reasoning at all. It assumes that people on different platforms all spend the same on microtransactions. In fact, if PlayStation is getting a lower amount of spending by players, then it is literally the platform's fault for not engaging their consumers the same way that other platforms are.
From my understanding it's not about spending the same amount, but that spending is relative to to the size of the playerbase and primarily done in that ecosystem. So the only reason you would see it become disproportionate is if the dev is encouraging people to purchase MTX elsewhere, despite a majority of the players being on the Sony platform. Sony wants to keep PS players using PSN, regardless of how much they spend.

Deleted member 9584

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
This deal basically locks companies into promoting the PS platform over all of the others because if they push DLC onto another platform, let's say like Nintendo costumes for fortnite on switch only) that would then skew the ratio away from Sony and possibly lead to Epic having to pay fees to Sony because they wanted to add Nintendo characters into the game.

This is a smart deal for Sony, but it's slimy as heck and it's them strong arming devs into supporting their platform and incentivizing them to focus on PlayStation or else they pay fees. It'a a deal with the devil in a way.

Nov 4, 2017
The way i see it, this only applies to cross play accounts that play more on psn but pay more on another platform for some reason. It would be interesting to know if this is standard business practise as i think we would have heard about of this before if it was only Sony.

This is something that I contribute to. If I want to buy Destiny Silver, I do so on Xbox, and it's basically the only reason I log into Destiny on Xbox. I do this because I get a 10% discount on the sliver through Game Pass Ultimate, on top of the 10% on Xbox gift cards that's fairly easy to get.

panama chief

"This guy are sick"
Oct 27, 2017
User Banned (3 Days): Platform Warring
as the days go on, im ready for Sony to either bow out or get pushed out the gaming market. every month we learn a bit more on how they dont want gamers to unite.

Ctrl Alt Del

Banned
Jun 10, 2018
Rio de Janeiro, Brazil
It.. it doesn't seem outrageous? Mind you, it's bad for small devs and probably for consumers, but I can see just about every business having something like this.
It not being bad for the company but bad for devs/consumers is exactly why people are saying this is a bad look. Of course the company is gonna try and profit of something as much as they can, what is looked down upon is when that is done at the expense of the other actors involved.

Jeffram

Oct 29, 2017
This doesn't seem like a fair reasoning at all. It assumes that people on different platforms all spend the same on microtransactions. In fact, if PlayStation is getting a lower amount of spending by players, then it is literally the platform's fault for not engaging their consumers the same way that other platforms are. I feel like this gives credence to Epic's argument. Platforms aren't entitled to revenue just because they bring players, a platform is intended to engage spending.
All these contracts get negotiated on. Epic wouldn't have agreed to it if there was that much discrepancy between the platforms and purchasing behavior. That's probably how they landed at 85% of gameplay share. ie. if 60% of gameplay is on PS, then it should be reasonable to expect at least 51% of revenue.

It also allows epic to sell skins directly or through other non-gaming platforms without having to really think about its cross platform business deals. It's kind of a catch all.

Deleted member 44122

This deal basically locks companies into promoting the PS platform over all of the others because if they push DLC onto another platform, let's say like Nintendo costumes for fortnite on switch only) that would then skew the ratio away from Sony and possibly lead to Epic having to pay fees to Sony because they wanted to add Nintendo characters into the game.

This is a smart deal for Sony, but it's slimy as heck and it's them strong arming devs into supporting their platform and incentivizing them to focus on PlayStation or else they pay fees. It'a a deal with the devil in a way.
they already promoted characters like master chief though

Kalem

May 23, 2019
I think Apple requires the game to have price aligned MTX, it can't be cheaper elsewhere, hence the whole Epic direct payment debate.

I don't think currency matters that much if the things you buy are transferred by cross-save. Where I live, Silver has the same price on all platforms, but say one platform gives it a discount or opens some loophole for me to buy it cheaper. Sony gets the info that players bought more silver on other platform but played more on PS, the 15% is probably a leeway for a difference in avg spending on different platforms. It makes sense and encourages MTX to have the same price everywhere without resorting to something like Apple "you have to do this way".

Not price aligned, you simply cannot use another payment processor than Apple's if you're using an iOS app, because then Apple doesn't get a 30% cut. So they will ban your app if you expose an option to use a third party processor outside the app (Like if Spotify told you to go to spotify.com to buy a subscription), price parity non-withstanding.

RayCharlizard

Nov 2, 2017
Is it though?
Considering they were the hold out for so many games I find it unlikely this is just another nothing burger.
That's the point, we don't know. There's a giant fog that covers all of the things we don't know about the business of video games, and one little section of the map showed up that says "Sony wants profit sharing for cross-play titles". We don't know if other platform holders have the same deal with publishers, we just know that Sony does.

Oct 27, 2017

This is pretty much my thoughts on it. It's the logical thing to do for a company that knows it has a dominant position in the market.

That's why Sony, MS, Nintendo, etc should never be in a position where they can negotiate like this. For consumers, we need their platforms to be fairly equal/competitive to avoid this type of shit.

Dunlop

Oct 25, 2017
What I'm confused on is how Sony would know the total revenue for a game with cross play? Do they get the full data from, say, Epic for Fortnite on how much Xbox revenue is and whatnot and run the numbers on their share?
They need to provide a audit report based on the bullet point in the OP

These threads always fascinate me when you see the shitty behavior by your favorite corporation and then trying to justify it.

platocplx

2020 Member Elect
Oct 30, 2017
Not price aligned, you simply cannot use another payment processor than Apple's if you're using an iOS app, because then Apple doesn't get a 30% cut. So they will ban your app if you expose an option to use a third party processor outside the app (Like if Spotify told you to go to spotify.com to buy a subscription), price parity non-withstanding.
and google just charges people more on iOS vs their own site.

thecaseace

May 1, 2018
Maybe more due to f2p not generating substantial revenue outside of dlc/skins.
If there are more players on PS but lower purchases then Sony is graciously gifting infrastructure for the Devs whereas there is little profit. So they are recouping their losses.

Not shady/scummy. Very logical actually.

But what if the reason for the revenue disparity across platforms is Sony's fault?

Many people on Era don't store card details on PSN after the hack, in the case where a large enough proportion of consumers choose to buy on another platform the dev would get punished, that doesn't seem fair.

Zok310

Oct 25, 2017
Push Square write up clean it up a bit. Sony peretty much charging for revenue gained from in-game purchases in correlation to crossplay user base compared PS user base. They not charging to be able to use crossplay or enable it.

Garrett 2U

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
All these contracts get negotiated on. Epic wouldn't have agreed to it if there was that much discrepancy between the platforms and purchasing behavior. That's probably how they landed at 85% of gameplay share. ie. if 60% of gameplay is on PS, then it should be reasonable to expect at least 51% of revenue.

It also allows epic to sell skins directly or through other non-gaming platforms without having to really think about its cross platform business deals. It's kind of a catch all.
That isn't necessarily true at all. Epic could have just determined that enabling cross-play with PlayStation would be a net positive, even with the revenue restriction. I also don't think we know if those are the final terms that were agreed to. But it still is an unfair practice by a platform, and it might not make sense for all games to go along with those terms. They are 100% making developers pay for cross-play, having to makeup whatever revenue PlayStation players aren't spending. Overall, it just disincentives cross-play being supported.

Lube Man

Alt-Account
Banned
Jan 18, 2021
So the calculation is designed to measure if Sony's proportion of customers is significantly larger than the share of revenue users are generating on PS.

When crossplay was not yet happening, the argument (though one not voiced) on Sony's side was that users could purchase skins/DLC without them taking their cut if you buy on other platforms. This is designed to mitigate this by devs having to pay Sony if the majority of purchases happen on other platforms but the majority of players are on PS.
That's my understanding too.

aceldama

Jun 8, 2019
I find this part the most angering:
ijgS9Kl.png
Does anyone ITT want to suggest a reason why cross play benefits the playstation business? All Epic offered were unrealated sweetners, nothing that actually says cross play itself would be a good deal for Sony.

Corporations act to protect their own financial interests.The amount of backroom politics and financial tit-for-tat is huge. They don't do this stuff to annoy their customers, they do it because there are huge amounts of money on the line. You can tell that most of this forum have never worked in a 'professional' job.

seroun

Oct 25, 2018
It not being bad for the company but bad for devs/consumers is exactly why people are saying this is a bad look. Of course the company is gonna try and profit of something as much as they can, what is looked down upon is when that is done at the expense of the other actors involved.

Oh yeah, I agree. It's definitely bad for the developers, but at the same time unfortunately I can see every corp doing this as a way to "protect" their part of the revenue because of the userbase.

Kinda wish it didn't happen and it was just.. simpler. But I guess when money is involved it is never simple (or in good faith).

platocplx

2020 Member Elect
Oct 30, 2017
Indeed, but they don't expose a third party processor within the app, which is what Fortnite did.
Yep, because epic wanted to be able to charge less on their own platform, vs going to google route, honestly I dont even know why they didnt just try to make a deal like what this sony piece is here is because based on the court docs iOS dwarfs their stuff.
unless apple didnt even want to make that kind of deal which Im betting is why This escalated like this.
lmao. I hate hate hate people are equating this to some struggle.

AndyD

Mambo Number PS5
Oct 27, 2017
Nashville

I think that's the point, if you want players to cross-play on PSN, it's not a great look to throw it in their face that "hey, here's aswesome skins you are missing out on because of the platform you are on". In fact Fortnite has Kratos skins across all platforms, not just on PSN. It's more to prevent publishers/devs from favoring any platforms over another. I am sure we would see complaints to Sony that "why are the Link costumes only available on Switch, why arent' you making Epic make them available everywhere".

But what if the reason for the revenue disparity across platforms is Sony's fault?

Many people on Era don't store card details on PSN after the hack, in the case where a large enough proportion of consumers choose to buy on another platform the dev would get punished, that doesn't seem fair.
That's probably why there is a 15% flexibility and an aggregate view. It smooths things like this out over time. I imagine the percentage of people worried about this issue is tiny compared to the average gamer out there. Breaches are a matter of when not if with most major platforms anyway. It sucks, but it's today's reality.

Mezoly

Jimbo Replacement
Oct 25, 2017
I am having a hard time understanding how a games enthusiast, who is probably aware of things like these, would support a company like Sony.
Yeah I will go support other non multi billion dollar companies who surely don't have business dealing or contracts.

nonoriri

Apr 30, 2020
I'd be interested in what sort of other games are under this agreement. I know people are concerned about smaller devs but looking at what Sony is trying to do here, it really only makes sense to push it for F2P games that are fueled by MTX with a cross-save component and don't require PS+. So this happens to ensure the companies are mutually benefiting (Sony brings the biggest playerbase, Epic brings the game where people want to spend a ton on MTX) and to keep it a "fair deal".

How many of these F2P MTX are really being made by small indie devs? This isn't really to defend Sony but just to say, I'd be surprised if they are applying it to every single game across the board vs. games like Fortnite being a unique beast because of how popular it is.

Staff post / discussion guidelines

Transistor

Outer Wilds Ventures Test Pilot
Administrator
Oct 25, 2017
Washington, D.C.
Official Staff Communication
This thread has been filled with misinformation, reactionary drive-bys, platform wars, and accusations of shilling. This is not acceptable behavior and will be moderated. Please take the time to understand the content before replying and respond to other posters in a respectful manner.

platocplx

2020 Member Elect
Oct 30, 2017
That's probably why there is a 15% flexibility and an aggregate view. It smooths things like this out over time. I imagine the percentage of people worried about this issue is tiny compared to the average gamer out there. Breaches are a matter of when not if with most major platforms anyway. It sucks, but it's today's reality.
the top selling stuff in gaming on amazon for example are the store gift cards people are just fine using those.

Japanmanx3

One Winged Slayer
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Atlanta, GA
This thread has been filled with misinformation, reactionary drive-bys, platform wars, and accusations of shilling. This is not acceptable behavior and will be moderated. Please take the time to understand the content before replying and respond to other posters in a respectful manner.
Thank you for fixing the title.

Jeffram

Oct 29, 2017
That isn't necessarily true at all. Epic could have just determined that enabling cross-play with PlayStation would be a net positive, even with the revenue restriction. I also don't think we know if those are the final terms that were agreed to. But it still is an unfair practice by a platform, and it might not make sense for all games to go along with those terms. They are 100% making developers pay for cross-play, having to makeup whatever revenue PlayStation players aren't spending. If a game expects that it would be more popular on another platform, there would be no reason for them to support cross-play. Overall, it just disincentives cross-play being supported.
It's a multi-million dollar deal. Of course it's analyzed and negotiated on.

Also, cross-play and cross-purchase are two entirely different things. you can have one without the others and vice versa. This is about cross-purchase and not cross-play. Very few games have cross-purchase.

Nintendo

Prophet of Regret
Oct 27, 2017

y4E1HVM.gif

SapientWolf

Nov 6, 2017
Does anyone ITT want to suggest a reason why cross play benefits the playstation business? All Epic offered were unrealated sweetners, nothing that actually says cross play itself would be a good deal for Sony.

Corporations act to protect their own financial interests.The amount of backroom politics and financial tit-for-tat is huge. They don't do this stuff to annoy their customers, they do it because there are huge amounts of money on the line. You can tell that most of this forum have never worked in a 'professional' job.
I don't see how it helps Sony to be the one platform not included in cross-platform play. I would specifically avoid that version if I owned multiple platforms.

Jeffram

Oct 29, 2017
This was very much necessary. The bar has really fallen in the last few weeks for OPs. Lots of alarmism and misinformation.

OP
OP
eonden

eonden

Oct 25, 2017
That thread title change. It's literally a completely different subject lol
Except it isnt.
Push Square write up clean it up a bit. Sony peretty much charging for revenue gained from in-game purchases in correlation to crossplay user base compared PS user base. They not charging to be able to use crossplay or enable it.
"Oh your whales are not on Sony but your base is? gotta pay up".

MadScientist

Oct 27, 2017
This is something that I contribute to. If I want to buy Destiny Silver, I do so on Xbox, and it's basically the only reason I log into Destiny on Xbox. I do this because I get a 10% discount on the sliver through Game Pass Ultimate, on top of the 10% on Xbox gift cards that's fairly easy to get.

This is exactly the reason why Sony has this contract. You pay on Xbox, but play on Sony's infrastructure. Not saying you shouldn't do this...but this is why Sony does what they do.