• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Podge293

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I don't understand you comment : Sony should give up a part of their revenue to others ? I think they simply want to protect the logic between revenue and gameplay time. If people play on Playstation they should have a royalty.
But I know people hate plateformes. And i don't think Epic will lower they MTX in any cases

What part don't you understand exactly?

By implementing this policy if a game happens to have a few whales on say switch over playstation the dev then has to give some of that money over to sony just because sony happens to have a bigger playerbase

RivalGT

Dec 13, 2017
The safety net in this really wouldn't be an issue for popular games. But for indie games or less known games I could see it being an issue.

Having to cover 15%(if it falls bellow 85%)just to use the PS pool may not be worth it in some cases. Because if the game isn't popular on PS, then you risk falling bellow 85%.

AndyD

Mambo Number PS5
Oct 27, 2017
Nashville
Glad this came out, imagine you're a developer that doesn't want to implement cross play/progression because of this policy, but can't even explain to your customers why because this is all under NDA
I fail to see how you would refuse to implement it based on this policy? What's the hypothetical in your mind?

shadow2810

Oct 25, 2017
Something something "standard business contract" but unless there are reports Nintendo and MS also have the same clause, I will assume Sony is the scummy greedy shit here, from a consumer perspective of course.

platocplx

2020 Member Elect
Oct 30, 2017
Not surprised that language like this exists in their cross-play agreement. What I'd be curious to know is if there's cases where it's been used thus far, and what games those were.

It's not beneficial to consumers or devs in the slightest obviously, but is certainly shrewd protection of their projected revenue while also getting out of the increasingly untenable PR position they were in a while back for not supporting cross-play.

I wouldn't be shocked to discover Microsoft or Nintendo have similar contractual clauses in place, though until we do I'm not going to whatabout it either.

I don't think it's broken down per-user like that. I think it's literally if Sony are 65% of the player pool, they expect 65% of the revenue - if they are less than that (or 65% * 0.85 of that at minimum), the devs have to pay Sony royalties to make up the difference.
Since most of the time they do have the highest player base, a vast majority probally dont pay anything, and pretty much its a 15% cut on the MTX in the game. vs the 30% on platform, which means if a base is split and say xbox and sony have the same deal in place the publisher breaks even.

MeBecomingI

Oct 27, 2017
I read responses, and it seems to me people aren't understanding what this is about? (Unless I'm the one who misunderstands)

Sony is just making sure that the Game revenue (generated by dlc/ sale of in game currency) is proportionate to the PSN use, and to avoid abuse of a dev using the PSN player base as incentive while prioritizing their in-game sales on another platform (due to them making a deal with said other platform, or having a higher % margin there)?
It doesn't prevent or desincentivize cross play, unless you are in bad faith basically.

I wouldn't be surprised if all actors of crossplay have equivalent contracts tbh.

That is pretty much exactly what it's saying. It doesn't do anything to disincentive cross play. Just a safe guard to cover some lost revenue, which is a fairly reasonable thing. But everyone wants to immediately post "Fucking disgusting!" or "That is incredibly fucked up!" or some dumb shit without actually thinking about what the slide actually says. The OP title should be changed to something less imflamatory and you know, accurate.

the7egend

Mar 6, 2018
This lawsuit is just packed full of info that companies probably don't want out in public. Might be the best thing for the industry.

RR30

Oct 22, 2018
Just another reminder that you shouldn't stan for your favorite plastic box. These billion dollar companies don't give a shit about you.

OP
OP
eonden

eonden

Oct 25, 2017
Since most of the time they do have the highest player base, a vast majority probally dont pay anything, and pretty much its a 15% cut on the MTX in the game. vs the 30% on platform, which means if a base is split and say xbox and sony have the same deal in place the publisher breaks even.
You need to pay the 30% for the other console and then an extra 15%. How is that "break even"? The other console still gonna take their 30%!

Nintendo

Prophet of Regret
Oct 27, 2017
Yeah you're right. It's Revenue share not user numbers creating said revenue share. I'll edit it so it's direct. Thanks.

If anything it's even worse tbh.

They charge a fee if and only if the revenue is disproportionate relative to PS gameplay share. They even provide an example. If PS gameplay share is 95%, it wouldn't make much sense if only 60% of revenue comes from PS. That's why they charge a fee. It's not that hard to understand.

giancarlo123x

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Wtf are you even talking about?
I swear, corporate stans crawling out of the woodwork ITT
200.gif

You're overreacting like most here.

Jeffram

Oct 29, 2017
I read responses, and it seems to me people aren't understanding what this is about? (Unless I'm the one who misunderstands)

Sony is just making sure that the Game revenue (generated by dlc/ sale of in game currency) is proportionate to the PSN use, and to avoid abuse of a dev using the PSN player base as incentive while prioritizing their in-game sales on another platform (due to them making a deal with said other platform, or having a higher % margin there)?
It doesn't prevent or desincentivize cross play, unless you are in bad faith basically.

I wouldn't be surprised if all actors of crossplay have equivalent contracts tbh.
It's the same scenario it typically is - Misrepresented and alarmist thread title and lack of context in the OP, and a bunch of people that don't bother with the details or the context.

This has nothing to do with cross-play. This has to do with purchases from other platforms that Sony recognizes on its platform. That leaves epic the ability to sell skins on other platforms , existing or new, or even directly, or sell at discounted rates, and have a path to get those skins to be playable on Playstation.

Distributing the revenue by player engagement makes the most sense to average it all out and not have to look at individual user behaviour.

Bansai

Teyvat Traveler
Oct 28, 2017

For me personally?
That's how:
Mihoyo (Genshin Impact) went around this by making their game cross-play but not cross progression, it seems. No lost revenue because no one is going to spend on multiple accounts.

galaxybrain

I can play with people on other platforms, but I cannot have cross-progression, which is a feature ONLY missing on playstation.

There is so many scenarios where policy like that could easily gimp or outright remove any possiblity for corssplay/progression.

This is bad, for both devs and customers.

Rowsdower

Prophet of Truth - The Wise Ones
Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Canada
I don't agree with this and find it scummy, but it is business in our capitalist world.

The safety net in this really wouldn't be an issue for popular games. But for indie games or less known games I could see it being an issue.

Having to cover 15%(if it falls bellow 85%)just to use the PS pool may not be worth it in some cases. Because if the game isn't popular on PS, then you risk falling bellow 85%.

Agreed, this could impact indie dev's more unfortunately, which is a shame.

Teiresias

Oct 27, 2017
Apple allows cross purchase and doesnt have this kind of mechanics. If people buy a fuck ton of stuff on PSN and not that much in iOS, Apple doesnt come and say "hey, I want my part for the amount people played on my platform!"

Yeah, it's not totally analogous, but the whole "protect the platform" thing had a ton to do with the initial problems Apple had with Kindle (and since I don't use an iOS device I'm not sure what the state of things is with this now).

Emails Reveal Why Steve Jobs and Phil Schiller Blocked In-App Purchase of Kindle Books - MacRumors

In this case, Apple was arguably making the Kindle iOS app experience for the user worse by making it financially burdensome to do in-app purchases, or to even mention the purchases could be made elsewhere.

Deleted member 2791

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
This also explains why there are so many games that have crossplay between NSW - Xbox - PC and not PS.

Weebos

Oct 25, 2017
I get the rationale behind this, I'd be curious to see the actual stats. I wouldn't be super surprised if nobody has had to pay for this yet, but I'm not super familiar with the PSN cross play options.

That said, 85% might be a bit high.

DontHateTheBacon

Unshakable Resolve
Oct 27, 2017
Woof.

I'm pretty dumb but this sounds... bad. Don't know if it's standard procedure or not, but it doesn't look great.

platocplx

2020 Member Elect
Oct 30, 2017
You folks would have a point if people didn't have to pay for something called PlayStation Plus to play online on PlayStation consoles. Money that wholly goes to Sony.
Additionally, popular online games act as hardware sellers for PlayStation.

it also doesn't make sense since spending habits differ, and May not be aligned to marketshare.

Nah. Selling your PS5 would be almost as weird a reaction as sarcastically defending this.
Free to play games you dont need PS+ for. On top of that even if you are paying for online in other titles, its not even just that anymore anyway with games as apart of PS+ thats what you are really paying for each month.

again for example if A Dev has a 50-50 split between them and say Xbox and both sony and xbox has a 30% cut, the split on one side or the other would be the dev paying at most 15% more on one side or the other on MTX only. Not game sales.

IIFloodyII

Oct 26, 2017
Isn't this about cross-progression, not cross-play? Seems like pretty standard stuff, definitely a little scummy, as I really doubt there's much in this for them, but can't say I'm surprised potential loss of revenue vs total players is a thing.

Elandyll

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Devs are gonna be less likely to implement a system that costs development time AND sucks from their profits after implementing.
It doesn't, because what the contract describes is that unless you are planning to cheat Sony by incentizing your player base to buy dlc/ currency elsewhere, it is extremely unlikely that the disparity PSN use vs revenue would be more than 15%.

Basically, it's Sony agreeing to crossplay at no additional cost to the dev -unless- you are in bad faith.

platocplx

2020 Member Elect
Oct 30, 2017
You need to pay the 30% for the other console and then an extra 15%. How is that "break even"? The other console still gonna take their 30%!
Say there is PC and Console, MTX is bought on PC. The price is lower there and there is a 15% fee there. Its all over the place it all depends on where the MTX is and what the player base split is. At most a dev may pay 45% for the MTX And Min they pay 15% between all those transactions with the player base that could either end up breaking even, costing more or costing less. Its not a zero sum.

Weebos

Oct 25, 2017
I also love that it says "HIGHLY CONFIDENTIAL - ATTORNEYS' EYES ONLY"

Was this leaked?

Dec 9, 2018
New Jersey
Going from how this thread is behaving, I feel like it isn't a super great idea to have a bunch of gamers on an Internet forum try to interpret an internal corporate documentation in a legal proceeding.

tmac456

May 27, 2020
Wtf are you even talking about?
I swear, corporate stans crawling out of the woodwork ITT

Or it's just people that understand that these corporations do a lot of "shitty" things along with the "good" stuff they do and they aren't going to melt down when something "shitty" is brought to the public.

Mega corporations aren't our friends and don't necessarily look out for what benefits the consumers the absolute most? Stunning.

AndyD

Mambo Number PS5
Oct 27, 2017
Nashville
It doesn't, because what the contract describes is that unless you are planning to cheat Sony by incentizing your player base to buy dlc/ currency elsewhere, it is extremely unlikely that the disparity PSN use vs revenue would be more than 15%.

Basically, it's Sony agreeing to crossplay at no additional cost to the dev -unless- you are in bad faith.
We have devs on here. Surely someone can give us some ballpark userbase/revenue numbers and if they would be wildly inconsistent.

platocplx

2020 Member Elect
Oct 30, 2017
Why would it suck any profits? I doubt that any game has such disproportionate revenue to the point that Sony charged the devs a fee.
And even then, devs can literally have their game sold on a cheaper store, and drive MTX that way and can end up paying less for access to a larger platform.

Kinthey

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017

There can be pretty simple reasons for someone buying on one platform and playing on the other, like simply having your payment information already saved or maybe you got gift cards or rewards that'd allow you to buy the mtx for cheaper. None of that would be related to the dev being in bad faith

Fisty

Oct 25, 2017
Sony likely views their player base as a huge selling point and cross-play does provide that benefit to other platforms, makes sense they would want to monetize this

Hopefully the terms are reasonable for the low-earning devs, or heck maybe something like No Man's Sky would get crossplay for free since there are no MTX

Sacul64

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
It's the same scenario it typically is - Misrepresented and alarmist thread title and lack of context in the OP, and a bunch of people that don't bother with the details or the context.

This has nothing to do with cross-play. This has to do with purchases from other platforms that Sony recognizes on its platform. That leaves epic the ability to sell skins on other platforms , existing or new, or even directly, or sell at discounted rates, and have a path to get those skins to be playable on Playstation.

Distributing the revenue by player engagement makes the most sense to average it all out and not have to look at individual user behaviour.

And as consumers the only thing we should care about is this will prevent smaller companies from offering crossplay as it would be a larger hit for them to give up revenue there by hurting us as consumers.

nonoriri

Apr 30, 2020
I think Apple requires the game to have price aligned MTX, it can't be cheaper elsewhere, hence the whole Epic direct payment debate.
That makes sense. I actually don't know if PS4 prices for Genshin are worse or not.

I dunno. Let's say I play fortnite on both my PS4 and my Xbox. But I buy my skins on xbox because that's where I have my payment method set up/secure etc.

Why does Sony need a cut of what I purchased? And that's with a massive title like Fortnite. What about for smaller titles like IDARB? Let's say I buy it on both consoles but only have skins on the Xbox. So then if I play it on the PS4, the devs have to pay Sony a royalty?

Sure it works great for Sony, but I don't really see the benefit it has for me or smaller developers.
No win for the consumer here. But I can see how it's a win for developers to get access to all of the players on the Sony system so they can can see other players with cool skins and gear and go buy them from the store. The developer takes a hit from the PSN cut but ultimately comes out on top because there are more people buying a digital product that you can reproduce infinitely. This is probably why it's not happening with Genshin, because there's a much smaller MP component and no skins, so no seeing what my friend Jade has and deciding to go spend some cash on it.