• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

darkside

Oct 26, 2017
Somewhere someone at Sony is probably still steaming really really hard at Sony that MLB forced them to make The Show multi platform with cross play.

Yeah I don't think so. Its the only sports game on the market that not only has cross-play but cross-everything. Cross progression, purchases work on both, currency carries over on both (for the most part).

Welfare

Prophet of Truth - You’re my Numberwall
Oct 26, 2017
Jeez

Yeah this is ass, my base assumption is just that if Sony is doing this then Xbox/Nintendo are also doing this.

Remeran

Nov 27, 2018
it applies to any game with crossplay enabled where the PSN revenue share is impacted by more than 15%. If users spend where they play, it's a non-issue.
This personally lessens the blow for me. if you're saying that this would probably only apply to existing games with a cross play impact when it's enabled. It's still a little scummy to me but business is business I guess. At least this doesn't outright discourage cross play in the future.

Killah

Jan 21, 2018
Well I guess this explains why many fighting games don't have crossplay between PS4 and PC...

Nitpicker_Red

Nov 3, 2017
I haven't followed closely 100% the US situation, but I remember some stuff related to Japan. From the top of my head:
  • Their decision to standardise X/O accross regions and ignore the cultural meaning of O/X got them some criticism in Japan. Kotaku
  • Their decision to downscale Japan Studio, creator of some beloved Playstation IP (wikipedia says Ape Escape, LocoRoco, Patapon, Gravity Rush), leading to a lot of big figures quitting, garnered criticism worldwide. IGN
  • Their reviewing process of games in japan now having to go trough english (since they moved headquarters), with unclear or harsher restriction got them criticism from japanese developers. Apparently japans's culture of Eroge etc. is also in conflict with the new direction. NicheGamer
All that and a string of bad marketing decisions (lack of direction, console being too big for households, presentations aired in the middle of the night and lacking japanese translation for some parts etc.) made Playstation lose its footing in japan. Bloomberg

Last edited:

MatrixMan.exe

Oct 25, 2017
I see this thread is full of people who don't actually understand what they're reading. Reading it further though, I'm failing to see anything 'scummy' here when it's ultimately a business protecting their bottom line. If my platform and services which I operate at cost have more users but those users spend their money elsewhere disproportionately then I'm obviously not going to just accept that.

This just seems like smart, albeit shrewd business.

| TrusT |

Apr 19, 2020
The genuinely sad thing in all of this is that these devs are agreeing to it.

Pure scumbag move though.

zolee

Oct 2, 2020
I'd just like to remind everyone that Gio Corsi left PS in 2019 so this policy might've changed (for better or worse lol)

gothmog

Oct 28, 2017
NY
There must be more to this. Why would someone sign an agreement like this?

I keep thinking this was put into place when Epic was trying to move vbucks system to their website. You know, the thing that got Fortnite kicked off of Apple devices. Sony negotiated a 15% cut in exchange for allowing items to be used on their platform?

May 17, 2018
Wait. Wait wait wait.

Are you telling me that this company wants to make money for their services/platform?

Impossible. Next you're gonna tell me they want customers to pay for things too.

DanteMenethil

Oct 25, 2017
Explains guilty gear not having crossplay then

Hope Sony reconsiders, keep this bad PR on them
I guess that's why Guilty Gear doesnt have crossplay

Nah, unless you guys think that 1. mtx/dlc would be cross platform on Strive and if so 2. People would massively buy it on playstation, buy the PC version, buy the MTX on pc but then only play on playstation. I really doubt that'd be the case. Considering the crossplatform requires buying 2 full price copies instead of say Apex Legend where it is free already you've massively cut the amount of player that would bring MTX across another platform. And then, on top of that, they would have to play pretty much only on playstation but buy all mtx on steam.

sacrament

Banned
Dec 16, 2019
I don't think the thread title is accurate.

Basically, its a revenue share deal. If people play on playstation, then playstation's cut should be proportional to that. Ex. I buy all my skins on my phone because my credit card is already on it, but play on PS4.

The ideal model probably should be that the funds are pooled and then distributed based on platform. However, Sony (and anyone else) is going to look out for their share and not necessarily build the system jointly.

You also have a pretty strong partnership between Epic and Sony, so I doubt this is some sort of strong arm tactic.

Title is fine. This underlying monetization at the expense of customers is garbage. The fact that Sony uses cross-play, a significant improvement to game engagement and community vitality, as a weapon or monetization mechanism is gross. To further say they don't see how it benefits themselves versus customers - almost car sales gross - just makes all this even worse.

HardRojo

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Peru
Smart business tbh. Dunno why anyone is surprised.
Business-wise? Sure, it makes sense, but as a consumer this probably means more companies (especially smaller ones and/or games that have a small playerbase) are likely to be more reluctant when it comes to offering cross-play on PS4. As a fighting games fan, this certainly isn't good news if that's what's stopping Guilty Gear Strive from having crossplay at launch.

platocplx

2020 Member Elect
Oct 30, 2017
This seems to be related to cross-buying content and not really crossplay. It makes sense that Sony would have a problem with people playing on playstation while buying all the microtransactions elsewhere
that makes sense actually. Problem with this stuff people don't look at the full context.

Mass_Pincup

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Jeez

Yeah this is ass, my base assumption is just that if Sony is doing this then Xbox/Nintendo are also doing this.
Sony is doing this because they're the only one in this situation that can lose out on revenue.

Xbox and Nintendo (at the time) had a much smaller userbase so it was highly unlikely that they would lose money on cross play because it would allow their users to spend money on GAAS without worrying on finding games. Sony on the other hand didn't need players from outside ecosystems to sustain their userbase.

Podge293

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I see this thread is full of people who don't actually understand what they're reading. Reading it further though, I'm failing to see anything 'scummy' here when it's ultimately a business protecting their bottom line. If my platform and services which I operate at cost have more users but those users spend their money elsewhere disproportionately then I'm obviously not going to just accept that.

They're actively putting in roadblocks to developers and publisher so they won't bring crossplay to their games while at the same time slinging shite like "4theplayers" when this is clearly not for the players

Zyae

Prophet of Truth
Banned
Mar 17, 2020

Everyone in this thread understands this.

RivalGT

Dec 13, 2017
The way I'm understanding it, is that everyone is benefiting from each other. But everyone benefits according to their player pool?

If revenue share drops bellow 85% of their pool, then Sony needs to be compensated?

HockeyBird

Oct 27, 2017

Everything a business does it to protect their bottom line. Does that mean anything a business does is free from criticism?

DarrenM

Oct 28, 2017
Cross play should be standard on every third party multiplayer game, it should be optional, but it shouldn't have any strings attached.

Hard to believe there are people dismissing this, or just being fan boys and making shitty drive by comments. Sony and anyone else doing this should be called out.

DanteMenethil

Oct 25, 2017
Business-wise? Sure, it makes sense, but as a consumer this probably means more companies (especially smaller ones and/or games that have a small playerbase) are likely to be more reluctant when it comes to offering cross-play on PS4. As a fighting games fan, this certainly isn't good news if that's what's stopping Guilty Gear Strive from having crossplay at launch.
There's no chance GG would get ever close to 0.85 because you need to buy two full price copies. In fact I'd be surprised if it went below 0.99.

nonoriri

Apr 30, 2020
Because it potentially stops some developers from deciding to add crossplay, or maybe even cross-save in the case of something like Genshin Impact. It makes perfect sense for Sony but is just a negative for the consumer.
Considering Genshin does have crossplay, I feel like it really is about the cross-save aspect now. They don't want you going outside PSN to buy your waifu-currency. The genie is already out of the bottle with Fortnite but yeah Genshin basically stops this. I wonder if this is also part of why we haven't heard anything on a Switch port because I'm sure Nintendo also has restrictions.

Though I think you can do iOS/Android cross save? So it seems like Apple let them go off and do that.