• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Kickfister

May 9, 2019
Seeing this HIGHLY CONFIDENTIAL - ATTORNEYS' EYES ONLY document right after binging the Phoenix Wright Trilogy is a bit surreal lmao.

On topic though, this blows. As it turns out, "Play" as legally defined limits.

Praedyth

Feb 25, 2020
Brazil
It kinda makes sense why PS has the most money on Fortnite now, they have to give part of what they make on other platforms to Sony for that sweet PS4 userbase.

Damn, Sony really doesn't want to miss a dime.

Okii

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
A steady stream of L's going Sony's way lately, this is so dumb, cross play is such an easy win it makes no sense them doing this.

Hasney

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Oh fuck off.

This is why I can't move my game over devices with Genshin

Eoin

Oct 27, 2017
What exactly does Revenue Share / Gameplay share mean? Bit confused here but I'm daft with these things.
It means that if PSN accounts for X% of the gameplay time for a game, Sony expect that they will get close to (or above) X% of the platform holder revenue for that game, and if their share is too far below that, they want royalty money to make up that difference.

So if Fortnite brings in US$100M per month, there's platform holder revenue there of around US$30M. If 50% of the time spent on Fortnite is through PSN, Sony expect to see US$15M as a result of that. If it's less than 85% of that (US$12.75M), they expect payments to make up the difference.

vixolus

Prophet of Truth
Sep 22, 2020
What I'm confused on is how Sony would know the total revenue for a game with cross play? Do they get the full data from, say, Epic for Fortnite on how much Xbox revenue is and whatnot and run the numbers on their share?

Mesoian

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 28, 2017
Boy fighting game players are gonna be chained to the sony platform for another generation huh?

Bad look and bad practice.

OP
OP
eonden

eonden

Oct 25, 2017
Basically Sony wants most of the overall revenue for a multiplayer game to come from Playstation platforms if it has crossplay. If that percentage drops below 85%, Sony want some money.
Technically it wants to have the same level of money coming from them as people playing. If the ratio goes below 0.85 (people play but dont spend most on PSN) you need to pay.

MatrixMan.exe

Oct 25, 2017
Am I reading this right? If a game has cross play and is less popular on PS4 compared to other systems, the devs have to pay Sony a fee?

Kinda, but not exactly. If the game is being played more on PlayStation in a given month but the revenue generated is disproportionately low by comparison then the developers incur a fee.

SigSig

Oct 26, 2017
Sony-hearts-devs.jpg

WinFonda

Oct 27, 2017
USA
This sounds fair?

If the user plays more on PS platforms but ends up spending money elsewhere. That's the important part. It's covering potential lost sales.

Ferrs

Avenger
Oct 26, 2017
My god if we had not enough reasons (game price hike) for seeing how fucking greedy Sony is lately.

Corine

Nov 8, 2017
Just leave Sony out of it then, and have it PC, Xbox, Nintendo. Fine with me.........