• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Feb 15, 2019
That's actually pretty great. Wish Nintendo would follow suit. Especially on the trophy part since I prefer those over achievements.

Deleted member 21709

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
If only Nintendo would do the same.

Yeap.

I enjoy achievements, despite not having any Platinums or whatever. I still think they can add to the experience.

Achievements feel like constant winning by just being a high score against your friends. Trophies are centered around the idea of a platinum trophy and I really don't like that approach.

That's true, never thought of it that way.

Virtua Sanus

Nov 24, 2017
Yeah but this is the better system for achievements
I strongly disagree. Platinums are a mess because only some games have them and expansions almost never count towards it and rarely have their own. The value of each achievement should be dictated by their direct rarity, not what some dev decided to make gold or whatever. Oftentimes the hardest AND rarest ones end up being bronze!

I think all platforms with achievement systems have their own unique issues, but I appreciate Steam's being so simple.

RPGamer92

Oct 25, 2017
I strongly disagree. Platinums are a mess because only some games have them and expansions almost never count towards it and rarely have their own. The value of each achievement should be dictated by their direct rarity, not what some dev decided to make gold or whatever. Oftentimes the hardest AND rarest ones end up being bronze!

I think all platforms with achievement systems have their own unique issues, but I appreciate Steam's being so simple.
I wish Steam had a points system like Xbox.

Hailinel

Shamed a mod for a tag
Oct 27, 2017
I edited my post a few minutes ago and you replied to the pre-edit.

No, I clearly and obviously was not comparing what you said (a common idea that pops up on Era) to a single person saying something stupid. But you knew that. Stop.

The point is that you replied to me with a completely empty, "Nah," with zero thought or logic behind it.
To be honest, no, I couldn't tell what you meant from your original comment because it came off as so comically hyperbolic. Yes, my comment was a snippy drive-by, and again, I'm not against trophies or achievements, but I don't think they're a necessity for a gaming platform.

Still, if you think, based on your edit, that a take that simple is one of the worst things said on Era, I'm still going to shake my head at your hyperbole.

ZeoVGM

Oct 25, 2017
Providence, RI
To be honest, no, I couldn't tell what you meant from your original comment because it came off as so comically hyperbolic. Yes, my comment was a snippy drive-by, and again, I'm not against trophies or achievements, but I don't think they're a necessity for a gaming platform.

Still, if you think, based on your edit, that a take that simple is one of the worst things said on Era, I'm still going to shake my head at your hyperbole.

Hoping for a common feature that you can completely ignore to not happen simply because you don't like it while others do is always a terrible take.

Nzyme32

Oct 28, 2017

Yep I'm keen on it being simple and rarity being a more interesting metric. Sadly on PC it is super easy for those inclined to cheat around achievements, so generally speaking you won't completely accurate stats for the rarest achievements, even if they remain the rarest in the game.

However for me it works perfectly well, since I don't use achievements as something comparative globally most of the time. It's usually fully for my benefit and getting me to play in different ways, but also comparative between close friends - all of whom don't and won't cheat anyway.

Also rarity doesn't necessarily mean the most fun to achieve. Some of my favourite achievements are often uncommon, eg HL2EP1 - the one free bullet.

Equally, the consoles force developers to have certain numbers of achievements even if they are extremely silly rudimentary progress based achievements, all because of the system they chose to employ and gamers fawning over their fictitious points. Eg on Steam, The Witness only has 2 achievements, exactly as the dev intended, and they are for the 2 important achievements of the game.

In the end, points based system is pretty useless as its entirely inconsistent and dependant on implementation per game. Steam equally has its "percentage completion" metric, which also doesn't work since some games are filled with either highly obscure achievements, or extremely easy ones. For me achievements are all about challenge and new ways to play, so it is more interesting to look at a case by case basis between my friends, and only loosely for global achievements if needed.

Hailinel

Shamed a mod for a tag
Oct 27, 2017
Hoping for a common feature that you can completely ignore to not happen simply because you don't like it while others do is always a terrible take.
I didn't say I hope it doesn't happen. I only meant to say it's not a necessity and I'm not nettled that it hasn't happened yet.

Cow

Oct 25, 2017
This is consistently one of the most ridiculous and nonsensical takes on Era.

Achievements literally do not impact you if you don't care about them. Ignore them. Let others enjoy them.

It is. I think it comes from early on in achievements when people would waste time playing horrid games and grinding in them just to get achievements. That association is why many hate them.

Lulu

Saw the truth behind the copied door
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
good give my hades platinum i got half a year ago

OP
OP
PLASTICA-MAN

PLASTICA-MAN

Oct 26, 2017

Musubi

Unshakable Resolve - Prophet of Truth
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Next to what? Ninja saying he doesn't stream with girls because cooties? Ubisoft's parade of "non-political" games? Settle down.

It's totally fine if people enjoy them. I like it when I pop trophies on my PS4. But I also know that they can be arbitrary or frustrating, and ultimately they don't add anything to the games themselves. In that sense, it's totally fine if Nintendo never follows suit. And if they ever do, well OK.

I'd contest that well made achievements can in fact add to games by prodding you in directions of the game you wouldn't have found otherwise or providing interesting challenges for you to accomplish. For instance a recent trophy on Cyber Shadow makes you complete the entire first stage without killing any enemies. Which then leads you to have to approach that level entirely differently. Could you do this on your own removed from trophies? Sure, but I think if they are well made they can tempt players to try things that they wouldn't have thought to try on their own.

Fisty

Oct 25, 2017
Achievements feel like constant winning by just being a high score against your friends. Trophies are centered around the idea of a platinum trophy and I really don't like that approach.

... and all your trophies go to a level, which i think is a better system than just a straight number. That would be like playing an RPG that only tells you how much EXP a character has instead of giving you a level. Platinums are just a little extra hit when you get a completion

RPGam3r

Oct 27, 2017
... and all your trophies go to a level, which i think is a better system than just a straight number. That would be like playing an RPG that only tells you how much EXP a character has instead of giving you a level. Platinums are just a little extra hit when you get a completion

I don't agree with that at all. The high score is even reset to make even the smallest new achievements feel like a victory. There is far more granularity in the high score design. Also, there is decades of high score like competition so it's very well worn and proven territory.

cvbas

Oct 25, 2017
Brazil
I much prefer trophies to regular achievements, so that's nice.

Also, Valve should really update Steam achievements.

Teeth

Nov 4, 2017
Yep I'm keen on it being simple and rarity being a more interesting metric. Sadly on PC it is super easy for those inclined to cheat around achievements, so generally speaking you won't completely accurate stats for the rarest achievements, even if they remain the rarest in the game.

However for me it works perfectly well, since I don't use achievements as something comparative globally most of the time. It's usually fully for my benefit and getting me to play in different ways, but also comparative between close friends - all of whom don't and won't cheat anyway.

Also rarity doesn't necessarily mean the most fun to achieve. Some of my favourite achievements are often uncommon, eg HL2EP1 - the one free bullet.

Equally, the consoles force developers to have certain numbers of achievements even if they are extremely silly rudimentary progress based achievements, all because of the system they chose to employ and gamers fawning over their fictitious points. Eg on Steam, The Witness only has 2 achievements, exactly as the dev intended, and they are for the 2 important achievements of the game.

In the end, points based system is pretty useless as its entirely inconsistent and dependant on implementation per game. Steam equally has its "percentage completion" metric, which also doesn't work since some games are filled with either highly obscure achievements, or extremely easy ones. For me achievements are all about challenge and new ways to play, so it is more interesting to look at a case by case basis between my friends, and only loosely for global achievements if needed.

To piggy back on this - I honestly think the amount of people who use an achievement unlocker on Steam is a tiny fraction of a fraction of a percent.

I think the main way Steam maintains the integrity of their achievement rarity data is simply by making the achievements worthless. If there was some sort of gamer score, or coupon, or bonus items attached to the achievements, that would just drive people to cheat to unlock them to get the rewards. Since they are meaningless, very few people go out of their way to do it.

Jaded Alyx

Oct 25, 2017
The monthly Achievements leaderboard among your friends works better in my opinion because you'll never be able to surpass certain people simply because they've been in the ecosystem for far longer.

zswordsman

Nov 5, 2017
Why not? You can ignore them if you don't want them.
For me personally, because I have that personality that wants to get them. Or it stops me from truly playing how I want because I'm following the style that the dev wants me to do to get trophies.

It's nice playing a nintendo game and have zero worry for trophies. Just play it for the game itself. Don't get me wrong, for the most part I do that on playstation but there's always that itch to get a trophy that isn't on Nintendo's platform.

JuicyPlayer

Feb 8, 2018
With PC being PC how long will it take for people to just hack these achievements with console controls like steam?

RisingStar

Banned
Oct 8, 2019
Can we not make the thread about Nintendo? Yes, they should've had achievements like a decade ago. The company decide to play with its own rules and have displayed them several times.

Good on Epic to follow the better system. Achievements feel like a thing of the past compared to the trophy system these days.

BobLoblaw

This Guy Helps
Oct 27, 2017
Before I play a game on Steam, I look at whichever one has the lowest completion % and then target that one. I disregard all the others. Weird, I know.

arsene_P5

Prophet of Regret
Apr 17, 2020
I am not a huge achievements/trophy hunter, but I think it's part of the experience these days to have something unlocked. So good for Epic to finally deliver a system :)

If only Nintendo would do the same.
First post nails it. I won't give up and hope Nintendo introducing their own take for achievements/trophies at some point.

alexwise

Nov 3, 2017
Glad they went with PS-like trophies rather than steam or xbox-like achievements as these feel worthless to me. Unlocking a platinum trophy feels so rewarding!

Gorger

Oct 25, 2017
Norway
It's cool, but doesn't make sense for me starting all over collecting trophies on a completely new platform when I already have 200+ platinum on my PS account and thousands of achievements on steam. I wish all the major services got together and created a system to let us sync up trophies/achievements across different platforms, but you know they will never do that.

If they want to make it special they should let us use the trophy points to get free cosmetics and discounts. Developers can even add in free unlocks linked to various achievements for their games. It has happened before with games like FF13 where you unlocked wallpapers for your Playstation if you completed certain achievements. I think that was a cool and interesting feature I am surprised developers haven't explored further.

Glad they went with PS-like trophies rather than steam or xbox-like achievements as these feel worthless to me. Unlocking a platinum trophy feels so rewarding!
I'm not sure how it works on Xbox these days, but nothing prevents Steam achievements from having a platinum trophy equivalent as part of their lists, and you already get a ribbon on any games where you get 100% achievements on, as well as your profile page having a quick link to your 100% completed games for anyone to peruse. I'm not really sure where Steam is lagging behind on, unless you REALLY need some kind of arbitrary XP system to go with them.

Gorger

Oct 25, 2017
Norway

Definitely. Main reason why I stuck with the Playstation as my primary console is that I feel they have really perfected their trophy ruleset. Having a limit of like 50~ trophies, where it must be a certain length to have the platinum award at the end greatly reduces developers chances in exploiting and abusing the system. Also getting that platinum pop after getting them all is really just the cherry on top of the ice cream - so satisfying, and a great way to put my OCD to ease. Still there are some weird choices that doesn't make sense. The fact that none of the new Hitman-series have a platinum despite all the effort and time you need to get them all is still a huge mystery to me.

On steam you can find games that have 4000 achievements you can unlock in minutes which just ruins, breaks and inflates the whole achievement system.

8WhWzw4zHfTTAcVAioQ5qG-970-80.png

OP
OP
PLASTICA-MAN

PLASTICA-MAN

Oct 26, 2017
Definitely. Main reason why I stuck with the Playstation as my primary console is that I feel they have really perfected their trophy ruleset. Having a limit of like 50~ trophies, where it must be a certain length to have the platinum award at the end greatly reduces developers chances in exploiting and abusing the system. Also getting that platinum pop after getting them all is really just the cherry on top of the ice cream - so satisfying, and a great way to put my OCD to ease. Still there are some weird choices that doesn't make sense. The fact that none of the new Hitman-series have a platinum despite all the effort and time you need to get them all is still a huge mystery to me.

On steam you can find games that have 4000 achievements you can unlock in minutes which just ruins, breaks and inflates the whole achievement system.

8WhWzw4zHfTTAcVAioQ5qG-970-80.png

Wow what is this? This reminds me of the flash games Achievement Unlocked games which are based on just achieving achievements without any help or hint on what to do exactly like this.

Gorger

Oct 25, 2017
Norway
Wow what is this? This reminds me of the flash games Achievement Unlocked games which are based on just achieving achievements.

That's basically what it is. Create a shit game in a matter of hours, put in thousands of unlockable achievements you can get in a matter of minutes and have it sell like hotcakes because people want that extra boosts of achievements parading the front of their steam profile.

It's still up, and there are a lot of games on steam just like it.
Running Through Russia på Steam (steampowered.com)

Ionic

Oct 31, 2017
A lot of people don't agree but I think Steam has the best achievement system because it doesn't twist the developer's arm to fall into a standardized box. Some developers don't want to add many achievements (Undertale, The Witness), others add hundreds (TF2, Binding of Isaac). Some devs will just randomly add new achievements in a content update. They exist basically in a vaccuum for each game.

I get that people like having their achievements go into some standardized bin on consoles, but it's really very limiting. This system will be better than Steam only if they don't ask devs to fit achievements within a narrow specification like console games have to.

...Or if they just give you free shit for unlocking them (on top of the free stuff they currently do).