• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Parsnip

Oct 25, 2017
Finland
Well, good luck to our new Chinese overlords I guess.

Like with every other store/launcher, I don't see how this benefits the consumer in any way, and until they can match Steam in terms of user facing features, no thanks.

Daxa

Jan 10, 2018
I was hoping I'd see a fresh coat of paint on the launcher when it was updating, but it's still the janky-ass app I'm used to. Hopefully this changes when this is fully rolled out.

I hope they commit to better Discord integration so we can get some better LFG features, but most devs seem to ignore that API, unfortunately.

Still exciting news. On a similar note, Discord's Library feature is good at detecting other games and listing them all in one place for you to launch them from. No itch.io support yes, though.

Derrick01

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
If that cut becomes 88% in the whole industry, that means these sites wont be able to offer discounts deeper than 10% at launch.

Yeah and realistically it wouldn't even be 10% because those sites can't survive on a 2% margin. They may not even be able to survive on the full 12%. They have to pay their employees, server space, customer service, taxes etc too.

There's nothing good at all for customers and businesses with this 12% cut. It's only good for (some) developers. No one here should be for this.

Arkanius

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Consumers do a lot of the work that Valve as a platform should do. Valve is basically using our labor to create more profits for themselves. There's a whole PhD thesis about it that you can read at your leisure if you're interested in how Steam exploits its consumers: https://digital.library.ryerson.ca/islandora/object/RULA:6820/datastream/OBJ/download/Distributing_productive_play__a_materialist_analysis_of_Steam.pdf

uoqvtjpda3w11.jpg

No but seriously, try to explain your point.
How am I as a consumer that buys a game on Steam am "working" for Valve?

timmbp

Oct 25, 2017
From The Verge:

Here are Sweeney's answers to some of your most likely burning questions:
  • No, there's no store-wide DRM, though game developers can add their own.
  • No, Epic doesn't plan to add social components like game streaming or forums.
  • Yes, Epic will help devs take advantage of online features in their games (presumably things like chat, matchmaking, and cloud saves, though they weren't mentioned by name).
  • Yes, the Epic Store will offer refunds — initially through customer support, though an automated, 14-day, no-questions-asked return policy should follow soon.
  • Yes, it'll be available outside the US, in "most countries in the world except for China and where prohibited by US law, such as North Korea and Iran."
14 day refunds should be nice.

dex3108

Oct 26, 2017
What? With a smaller cut going to the storefront owners it's easier for developers (publishers) to put their games in sales discounts, not harder.

You know that EA moved all of their games on Origin where they get 100% and customers got nothing? You know that Bethesda moved Fallout 76 to Bethesda launcher and customers got nothing? You know that Activision moved CoD on Battle.net and customers got nothing?

jelly

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Not much of a feature set yet to compete with Steam and Tencent overlords, not sure.

Echo

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Mt. Whatever
Do not approve. Hope it flops like the Discord and Twitch initiatives have thus far.

Everybody wants a storefront but nobody wants to provide the features like Steam does.

.exe

Oct 25, 2017
uoqvtjpda3w11.jpg

No but seriously, try to explain your point.
How am I as a consumer that buys a game on Steam am "working" for Valve?

Something something user interaction like tagging games and reviewing them as well as earning/mining Steam cards and reselling them on the marketplace creates value/revenue for Valve -- I'm guessing. Oh the horror.

I scanned through the thesis to find a concrete place where that point is made but couldn't find the jump to free labor myself.

Last edited:

Durante

Dark Souls Man
Oct 24, 2017
Competition is good. Maybe valve will finally step up.

What, exactly, do they need to "step up" to?
  • Their platform offers by far the most features to both customers and developers. (And it does so for free to gamers, including e.g. unlimited cloud space and of course online gaming)

• Until just now, it was also the major platform with the best revenue share. Arguably, it still is (it's not like Epic launcher is major outside of a single game).

• They offer great support to open standardization processes, and also pay several open source developers simply for continuing to contribute to their own open source projects.

• They never pay for exclusivity. That's actual consumer choice. Which much of the "competition" seems to be hell-bent on eliminating.

• When they introduce a new client-level feature, they take great care to make it available and useful to as much of your existing library as possible. That's a real development nightmare, but it means that when you bought a game on Steam 10 years ago then you can now use features like in-home streaming or Steam controller rebinding seamlessly with it.
This idea that Valve is somehow worse than other platform holding companies and large-scale publishers who mostly don't do any of that is frankly utter bullshit and pisses me off since it's so self-destructive. If any of these other companies -- especially the public companies -- were in Valve's place, I am quite certain we'd be far worse off.

Now, with that said, we can talk about the impact on developers, which might be positive in some cases because of more competition on revenue share.
The thing is, I don't think console platform holders will bite.
They don't care that everything people are forced to pay monthly fees for on console is free on PC, they didn't care back in the days that PC didn't have a royalty share at all while consoles did, and they'll continue to happily charge their 30% plus recurring customer fees. If I'm wrong then I'll be ecstatic, but I doubt it.

And that's before getting into the issue of whether it is at all a good idea for the industry as a whole to split PC eyeballs and interest across many storefronts.

But I'm sure an actual indie developer will have a perspective on that:
The more I think about this the angrier I get, haha. This is not a great deal for anyone in the long term.
I see.

Derrick01

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
From The Verge:

Here are Sweeney's answers to some of your most likely burning questions:
  • No, there's no store-wide DRM, though game developers can add their own.
  • No, Epic doesn't plan to add social components like game streaming or forums.
  • Yes, Epic will help devs take advantage of online features in their games (presumably things like chat, matchmaking, and cloud saves, though they weren't mentioned by name).
  • Yes, the Epic Store will offer refunds — initially through customer support, though an automated, 14-day, no-questions-asked return policy should follow soon.
  • Yes, it'll be available outside the US, in "most countries in the world except for China and where prohibited by US law, such as North Korea and Iran."
14 day refunds should be nice.

Steam's refund setup is 14 days too.

It is nice.

sirap

Oct 25, 2017
South East Asia
Hope they have proper regional pricing. That's the one thing that makes Steam unbeatable for me (and no, defaulting Malaysian buyers to the Singapore store is not it EA)

entremet

You wouldn't toast a NES cartridge
Oct 26, 2017
How so? With a cut like this we won't be able to buy games with a -25% discount before release from 3rd party sites like GMG. If the cut becomes industry standard it'll probably kill all those sites.

GOG has a DRM-free policy which is good for consumers, we don't know what's Epic stand on this. What about an automated refund feature like Steam? That's good for consumers.

It's too early to tell if this store will actually be good for consumers or just another inconvenience with exclusive content but lacking features.
So it seems the criticism is more regarding the need to have more launchers, than the business implications? My argument was never on usability.

Soap

Oct 27, 2017
If there is one company that could take on steam right now it's epic. Much like Half Life 2 was used to get steam onto computers, Fortnite is going to do the same.

Chairmanchuck (另一个我)

Teyvat Traveler
Oct 25, 2017
China
COD & Destiny are not technically 3rd party for Acti-Blizzard, but i just don't think it's fair to call B.Net some rip off service when Blizzard created it back in 96, the Console focused publishers (some of which said PC gaming is dead & all PC gamers are pirates, including Epic funny enough) deserve some flack for jumping on the Steam bandwagon & creating another damn launcher.

In 1996 it wasnt really a client itself, was it?

Sheepinator

Jul 25, 2018
Yeah and realistically it wouldn't even be 10% because those sites can't survive on a 2% margin. They may not even be able to survive on the full 12%. They have to pay their employees, server space, customer service, taxes etc too.

There's nothing good at all for customers and businesses with this 12% cut. It's only good for (some) developers. No one here should be for this.
No one here should be for devs earning more money? Devs invest that money into more and/or bigger games.

thirtypercent

Oct 18, 2018
Good for them. I won't ever buy anything from them because of this statement:

https://bit-tech.net/news/gaming/pc/epic-pc-piracy-drove-us-to-consoles/1/

The first thing needed for me to invest in an ecosystem is trust in the company running it and I don't trust Epic.

Me neither, now they come crawling back, supported by a shady Chinese megacorp? Ehhhh. The hole they have to climb out of isn't quite as deep as Microsoft's but I don't plan on installing and supporting any new launchers for the time being and nothing I've read so far benefits me as a consumer, we've already got enough bare-bones clients that started with big promises of a glorious future. We're at a point where more stores just add more clutter and there's a real danger of customers getting confused. Which won't help anyone, especially not indies longing for 'discoverability', whatever that means these days.

Last edited:

Breqesk

Oct 28, 2017
You know that EA moved all of their games on Origin where they get 100% and customers got nothing? You know that Bethesda moved Fallout 76 to Bethesda launcher and customers got nothing? You know that Activision moved CoD on Battle.net and customers got nothing?
All of Epic's newer games are already available exclusively through their launcher—this is about a store for third party games.

Personally, I'm actually quite excited to see how their approach works out. It sounds like they're planning to employ more actual staff - rather than algorithms - to help sort though the games, and the way they're designing the store to avoid the worst bits of Steam - review bombing, forums with garbage moderation - really appeals to me. Plus, developers should make more money, overall - selling game keys on discount sites accounts for a tiny proportion of overall sales, so even getting '100%' of the revenue there isn't enough to make up the difference on the 70/30 split - which I like.

I have no loyalty to Valve whatsoever, so while I appreciate the convenience of having most of my games in one place - and, to be clear, I have a lot of fucking games on Steam - I'm always interested in Steam alternatives.

Unkindled

Nov 27, 2018
Seem''s good for developers , but as a consumer it does nothing for me.

Features like regional pricing etc already listed in this thread before, Steam is 10 years ahead of epic launcher, Not to mention the amount of userbase Steam has.

Also I am not so sold on their PC commitment after they made comments of "PC piracy drove us to consoles". What if Fortnite stops being their cash cow how will that effect me.

On steam I still have all my game's I have bought since 10+ years ago still with me, Can I put that amount of trust on this new launcher? hell no.

Unless this in some major way benefit's me as a consumer compared to steam I will be staying away from epic launcher.

Derrick01

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
No one here should be for devs earning more money? Devs invest that money into more and/or bigger games.

Or they spend poorly and go out of business. Or they pocket the extra money for themselves. You don't know how they're going to handle more money.

But yes no one should be in favor of the consumer having less options to buy games and cheaper prices in favor of higher prices and fewer storefronts.

nded

Nov 14, 2017
If Epic makes a Linux client, I may check it out. As it stands, Steam gives me to much value to step away from them.
Sweeney seems uninterested, but I guess they might put in a minimum effort in case some devs that sell on their store decide to release Linux versions of their games.

mikehaggar

Developer at Pixel Arc Studios
Verified
Oct 26, 2017
Harrisburg, Pa

Yeah, really. The argument that devs should make less money on their games in order to support the business of resellers is kind of... ridiculous?

Anyway, about time someone stepped up and did this. The 30% cut is crazy for companies who have thriving online marketplaces like Valve, Apple, etc.

Loanshark

Nov 8, 2017

Have you been living under a rock for this past decade? Studios, especially AA sized ones, are shutting down left and right, profitability is a real struggle all across the board except for the cash cows at the absolute top, your FIFAs, CoDs, GTAs and Fortnites. The cost, risk and complexity of games development has increased, yet the prices have not risen. Its actually cheaper than ever if you take inflation into account. In short, we have got games that are bigger, more ambitious and with higher production values than ever before, and it has cost us nothing becuse the downsides have been absorbed by the creators, and you are whining about a storefront that potentially helps those very people? You dont ever realise how spoiled you are. You dont have to use it, but dont whine about its existance.

Hero

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Not really interested in Epic's offerings but I welcome another competitor. I've seen Steam go from the savior of PC gaming to..well, whatever the heck it is now.

minimalism

Jan 9, 2018
Yeah the question I still have is how it benefits me, the consumer. It's yet another launcher now that still fractures all my games.

GhostTrick

Oct 25, 2017
So it seems the criticism is more regarding the need to have more launchers, than the business implications? My argument was never on usability.

Then what's your argument ?

Have you been living under a rock for this past decade? Studios, especially AA sized ones, are shutting down left and right, profitability is a real struggle all across the board except for the cash cows at the absolute top, your FIFAs, CoDs, GTAs and Fortnites. The cost, risk and complexity of games development has increased, yet the prices have not risen. Its actually cheaper than ever if you take inflation into account. In short, we have got games that are bigger, more ambitious and with higher production values than ever before, and it has cost us nothing becuse the downsides have been absorbed by the creators, and you are whining about a storefront that potentially helps those very people? You dont ever realise how spoiled you are. You dont have to use it, but dont whine about its existance.

Believe it or not, competition is tough between games. This isn't a price issue. This isn't a store issue. This is an offer issue.

Armaros

Oct 25, 2017
Not really interested in Epic's offerings but I welcome another competitor. I've seen Steam go from the savior of PC gaming to..well, whatever the heck it is now.

And the competitors which famously said they are going to consoles because of PC piracy.

And are only coming back because Valve showed the way to combat it by releasing a good product AKA Steam.

Arulan

Oct 25, 2017
As usual, this thread has become the target of concerned individuals who wouldn't know the first thing about the PC, or what actual competition looks like from their closed-platforms.

What, exactly, do they need to "step up" to?
  • Their platform offers by far the most features to both customers and developers. (And it does so for free to gamers, including e.g. unlimited cloud space and of course online gaming)

• Until just now, it was also the major platform with the best revenue share. Arguably, it still is (it's not like Epic launcher is major outside of a single game).

• They offer great support to open standardization processes, and also pay several open source developers simply for continuing to contribute to their own open source projects.

• They never pay for exclusivity. That's actual consumer choice. Which much of the "competition" seems to be hell-bent on eliminating.

• When they introduce a new client-level feature, they take great care to make it available and useful to as much of your existing library as possible. That's a real development nightmare, but it means that when you bought a game on Steam 10 years ago then you can now use features like in-home streaming or Steam controller rebinding seamlessly with it.
This idea that Valve is somehow worse than other platform holding companies and large-scale publishers who mostly don't do any of that is frankly utter bullshit and pisses me off since it's so self-destructive. If any of these other companies -- especially the public companies -- were in Valve's place, I am quite certain we'd be far worse off.

Now, with that said, we can talk about the impact on developers, which might be positive in some cases because of more competition on revenue share.
The thing is, I don't think console platform holders will bite.
They don't care that everything people are forced to pay monthly fees for on console is free on PC, they didn't care back in the days that PC didn't have a royalty share at all while consoles did, and they'll continue to happily charge their 30% plus recurring customer fees. If I'm wrong then I'll be ecstatic, but I doubt it.

And that's before getting into the issue of whether it is at all a good idea for the industry as a whole to split PC eyeballs and interest across many storefronts.

But I'm sure an actual indie developer will have a perspective on that:

I see.

Well said.

chubigans

Vertigo Gaming Inc.
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
I don't like posting my own tweets but it sums up my feelings right now.

Paul

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Ok neat for devs but what do customers get out of this? They have a long way to go before they can compete with steam in features. All this is is another shitty launcher that we have to use.
Bingo.

It will take a long time for Epic Store to be as useful as Steam. But I do think they will get there, unlike the other competitors.

Saoshyant

Oct 25, 2017
Portugal
Ah yes, the Chinese way of doing things: run thin margins that will undercut the competition until their venture becomes the only option remaining, then change things to whatever the Chinese government requires. "Wait, isn't this about Epic? What do the Chinese government have to do with it", you ask. Tencent owns 40% of Epic, enough to make any important decisions like this and they can just continue to buy stock if needed.

Competition is good, and Valve certainly needs it. The likes of Microsoft Store and Origin Client and whatnot, in regard to providing actual competition they have all been kind of a joke truth be told. Yet, this move by Epic is rather worrisome to me because I've seen Chinese companies doing this sort of thing over and over in other industries and it never ends up well to anyone but the Chinese government. If their store becomes the next Steam, it's quite likely everything within will be heavily censored and everything you do recorded and sent upstream like other branches (Xiaomi, Lenovo, ZTE, and Huawei) do already. That's a scary thought.

Sheepinator

Jul 25, 2018
Or they spend poorly and go out of business. Or they pocket the extra money for themselves. You don't know how they're going to handle more money.

But yes no one should be in favor of the consumer having less options to buy games and cheaper prices in favor of higher prices and fewer storefronts.
It's literally +1 storefront, not fewer storefronts, and it isn't higher prices. Even in your worst case scenario it isn't higher prices, it's sale prices that maybe aren't as deep. I don't get the love for one business that's a storefront while having disdain for another business, the developer. Both exist to make money. The developer is the only one that's using the revenue to make more or bigger games for you though.

RionaaM

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Knowing that more of your money goes to the developers should be reason enough.
On one hand, I have a store that has regional pricing and regular sales, along with a client that provides a lot of useful features that I can't find in any other (or at least, not as well implemented). On the other, I can do charity for a game developer.

Mmm, wonder which option should I pick...

Armaros

Oct 25, 2017
It's literally +1 storefront, not fewer storefronts, and it isn't higher prices. Even in your worst case scenario it isn't higher prices, it's sale prices that maybe aren't as deep. I don't get the love for one business that's a storefront while having disdain for another business, the developer. Both exist to make money. The developer is the only one that's using the revenue to make more or bigger games for you though.

So you just said in a round about way, Overall prices would benefit higher because same base prices + less discounts.

AKA higher prices. Which consumers will download the store client for this?