• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Bluelote

Oct 27, 2017
12% seems honest enough, I mean I still think 10% would be better,
but steam taking 30% is pretty nasty.

koutoru

Oct 27, 2017
I can see publishers like CD Projekt Red who probably would be very interested in an 88% split and would't employ any third party drm.

MrFortyFive

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
As much as it mildly annoys me to have my PC games split across different platforms, more competition is good. I can't see myself buying games there though unless they can offer me something substantial that Steam or GOG can't. Incentivizing developers is great, but it's only half the battle.

chubigans

Vertigo Gaming Inc.
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
That's good for consumers, though.
It's kinda not, when these launchers exist solely for the main company's major tentpole game that is exclusively available only on that platform.

When stores like Humble and GOG exist that offer DRM free services and different types of pro consumer rules and features: good for the consumer. When the Epic Launcher and Bethesda launcher pops up and the only way to buy Fallout/Fortnite is to use their launcher (which usually means losing out on support and services you'd get on other store fronts- like Bethesda refusing refunds on Fallout 76, etc.) then that's less of a good thing for consumers. Especially if the storefront is not open to all devs, which seems to be the case for this announcement until further in 2019.

PaulLFC

Oct 27, 2017
Epic putting that Fortnite money to good use, and good luck to them - Steam needs some competition and competition is good for the industry.

ramoisdead

Oct 25, 2017
Ok neat for devs but what do customers get out of this? They have a long way to go before they can compete with steam in features. All this is is another shitty launcher that we have to use.

This is where I pretty much scratch my head and say "okay but what about the consumer, the PC player?" You hear devs going "why should so and so dev/studio get an easy payout but not me" or "we should be compensated more". I understand that and in that part I agree. However, have you noticed anything on what a dev says or a company opening a games store says about how the consumer benefits from this so called "competition"? Yeah, me neither. I wonder if Epic will also allow devs to generate keys to sell on other stores for free cuz if not, that's definitely gonna affect sales that benefit the consumer.

Armaros

Oct 25, 2017
It's kinda not, when these launchers exist solely for the main company's major tentpole game that is exclusively available only on that platform.

When stores like Humble and GOG exist that offer DRM free services and different types of pro consumer rules and features: good for the consumer. When the Epic Launcher and Bethesda launcher pops up and the only way to buy Fallout/Fortnite is to use their launcher (which usually means losing out on support and services you'd get on other store fronts- like Bethesda refusing refunds on Fallout 76, etc.) then that's less of a good thing for consumers. Especially if the storefront is not open to all devs, which seems to be the case for this announcement until further in 2019.

Also how involved will Epic be in running the backend of the store to make sure updates to non-epic games are swift and without issues. And what other features will there be for developers beyond a lower store fee.

FreDre

Apr 10, 2018
Argentina

GameZone

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Norway
Real Steam competitors like this, and hopefully Discord is good for us and developers. Not shit monopoly like Bethesda Launcher, MS Store, B.Net and Origin.

Deleted member 3038

Oct 25, 2017
Reminder of features steam has that most other storefronts don't:

- allowing devs to self-publish their games without annoying policies or mandatory exclusivity
- offering devs a full set of features (steamworks, drm, vac etc) but NONE of these features is mandatory
- allowing devs to generate FREE game keys to sell on their own website or competing 3rd party keystores. This didn't only give us cheap games, but also wonderful stuff like Humble Bundles
- devs are allowed to integrate their own client or ecosystem (uPlay for example)
- easy mod support through workshop
- early access
- fully automated refunds for EVERY game
- regional pricing
- they support DRM-free games
- family sharing
- universal controller support
- cross-buy and cross-play between every popular OS (Windows, Mac, Linux)
- user reviews
- personalized store page
- personalized discovery queue
- wish list
- developer pages
- curators to find the games you may like instead of Valve deciding what's a good game and what isn't
- Steam Link
- Big picture mode
- Steam controller to play PC games on the couch
- Offline mode
- Steam sales
- Trading cards
- Free cloud saves

Derrick01

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
As customers we better hope this doesn't take off. A 12% retailer cut would kill off grey market sites and small retailers like GMG because when the base line is 12% they can't offer much of a discount as they're already cutting things close with that small of a margin. That means LESS competition and higher prices for us.

But yay devs publishers get more money!

GhostTrick

Oct 25, 2017
12% seems honest enough, I mean I still think 10% would be better,
but steam taking 30% is pretty nasty.

Because... ?

As customers we better hope this doesn't take off. A 12% retailer cut would kill off grey market sites and small retailers like GMG because when the base line is 12% they can't offer much of a discount as they're already cutting things close with that small of a margin. That means LESS competition and higher prices for us.

But yay devs publishers get more money!

Not only grey market but also white one.

Hektor

Community Resettler
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Deutschland
I can see publishers like CD Projekt Red who probably would be very interested in an 88% split and would't employ any third party drm.

CDPR already has their own storefront where they get a 100% split?
They're probably gonna put their games on there like they do on steam, but i don't see why CDPR should be in any way particulary interested in this.

Deleted member 1759

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Europe
That's good for consumers, though.
How so? With a cut like this we won't be able to buy games with a -25% discount before release from 3rd party sites like GMG. If the cut becomes industry standard it'll probably kill all those sites.

GOG has a DRM-free policy which is good for consumers, we don't know what's Epic stand on this. What about an automated refund feature like Steam? That's good for consumers.

It's too early to tell if this store will actually be good for consumers or just another inconvenience with exclusive content but lacking features.

.exe

Oct 25, 2017
Fascinating move. Don't see myself using it until it offers more/better features than Steam, but let's see how it develops.

AshenOne

Feb 21, 2018
Pakistan
LOL, I'm not looking forward to it, but devs will want the biggest share of profits possible.

I can see it happening.

Yea sure but they also would like the consumers to actually buy their product no? And people won't just flock there due to this announcement. So far aside from the revenue share thing, epic are doing absolutely nothing that stands out. So far only real competition for steam is Good Old Games(GOG). Thats it.

Arkanius

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Another barebones store that is offering me nothing and trying to ride on their one-trick poney.

Steam is great for me as a consumer, other stores need to do WAY MORE.
Even GoG despite having a great stance (NO DRM) does not offer me enough value to select them vs Steam.

Vela

Alt Account
Banned
Apr 16, 2018

Consumers do a lot of the work that Valve as a platform should do. Valve is basically using our labor to create more profits for themselves. There's a whole PhD thesis about it that you can read at your leisure if you're interested in how Steam exploits its consumers: https://digital.library.ryerson.ca/islandora/object/RULA:6820/datastream/OBJ/download/Distributing_productive_play__a_materialist_analysis_of_Steam.pdf

Derrick01

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
How so? With a cut like this we won't be able to buy games with a -25% discount before release from 3rd party sites like GMG. If the cut becomes industry standard it'll probably kill all those sites.

GOG has a DRM-free policy which is good for consumers, we don't know what's Epic stand on this. What about an automated refund feature like Steam? That's good for consumers.

It's too early to tell if this store will actually be good for consumers or just another inconvenience with exclusive content but lacking features.

That's ok with devs making more of the margin they'll pass the savings on to us!

giphy.webp

Dinjoralo

Oct 25, 2017
Also how involved will Epic be in running the backend of the store to make sure updates to non-epic games are swift and without issues. And what other features will there be for developers beyond a lower store fee.
Yet another thing. Doesn't Valve have a large amount of middleware that developers can use?

JahIthBer

Jan 27, 2018
88% cut yet games will still be $60 on it no doubt for multiple reasons.
I think it's too late for Epic to compete with Valve anyway, Steam has too many exclusives at this point & Japanese devs especially have got comfortable with Steam & pretty much see Steam as PC gaming.

koutoru

Oct 27, 2017
They already have their own store for a 100% split and no DRM.
CD Project Red has their own storefront already and they will get the 80% from Valve anyway.
I don't see any reason, why the would switch.
Being on 3 or even 4 store fronts (if they go Play Anywhere with the Xbox Version) is just to much.
Yes, I'm well aware of the existence of GOG. However, I can see them wanting to expand to more storefronts that might offer better deals for them as a developer.
Especially if it is one supported by other well known developers like Epic.

Last edited:

Nzyme32

Oct 28, 2017
Good for devs but what does it offer me over Steam? Until somebody can match Valve's feature set, I have no reason to shop anywhere else.

Bingo.
Same thoughts for me. Steam is providing me a ton of features that I pretty much require, so it remains my go to ecosystem.

I have a fair bit confidence in Epic to be a supporter of the PC ecosystem and moving the platform forward long term, as I do with Valve, so it's great to see them step up - but so far the features aren't even close and I'd need to see how stable and supportive Epic are over time.

While it's awesome that epic provide such a high margin for devs, it's not something that I as a customer can benefit from and I dont see it as my "responsibility" to go for the store that offers devs the biggest cut, without offering me utility and benefits as a customer.

Really hopeful that Valve / Steam will try to compete in future with such a split, but with all they invest in and sheer scale of operation, I doubt they will go as far of a split. As long as Valve/Steam keep piling on features that give me greater utility and enjoyment, that's probably ecosystem seeing the brunt of my game purchases

Good times!

dex3108

Oct 26, 2017
If any developer is reading this i would like to hear how much are you willing to cut your percentage to offer good deals that PC market was enjoying last 10 years? Have you ever wonder why there are threads on Era that talk about 20% off pre-orders on PC? If you are giving (and this is big if because we don't know will Epic allow selling games outside Epic Store) 12% to 3rd party distributor. max they would be willing to offer customers is 5% off. How many people will go for that deal and how many will just laugh?

GhostTrick

Oct 25, 2017
Consumers do a lot of the work that Valve as a platform should do. Valve is basically using our labor to create more profits for themselves. There's a whole PhD thesis about it that you can read at your leisure if you're interested in how Steam exploits its consumers: https://digital.library.ryerson.ca/islandora/object/RULA:6820/datastream/OBJ/download/Distributing_productive_play__a_materialist_analysis_of_Steam.pdf

I agree for the translations... But what about the rest ?

Arkanius

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Yet another thing. Doesn't Valve have a large amount of middleware that developers can use?

Developers AND customers.
Steam Input and Steam Inhome streaming
Steam Play for Linux for example.

Lmao I completely forgot in Linux. Epic is still pretty anti-linux despite Sweney hating MS move on the UWP.

Tygre

Oct 25, 2017
Chesire, UK
This is only great news if it leads to tangible benefits.

If this makes games 10% cheaper, that's an immediate and obvious benefit, but I'll bet you it doesn't make games any cheaper for us.

If publishers and development houses invest the extra money they make in improving conditions for their workers, that's great both for their staff, but also for all of us, who will get to play better games made in more human conditions. But I bet they wont.

What will happen is that this extra money will add an extra percentage point onto some shareholder's dividend, or executive's bonus.

The only space I see this doing genuine good is for small studio indie developers, who might see a greater return in a shorter timeframe and hopefully get to keep the lights on.

Deleted member 49804

User requested account closure
Banned
Nov 21, 2018

CD Project Red has their own storefront already and they will get the 80% from Valve anyway.
I don't see any reason, why the would switch.
Being on 3 or even 4 store fronts (if they go Play Anywhere with the Xbox Version) is just to much.